• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
$99 AND you need a box for each TV?

giphy.gif

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
How is this any better than cable? Lmao

Set top boxes, $100 a month, and data caps getting slammed

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
May as well just use Comcast over a landline, since it comes with Internet On Demand and live TV streaming to mobile devices.

OP
OP

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
For the record, I have XFinity and I called them to say I wanted to get cable but not with a set top box, they said they couldn't do anything for me

2 days later, they called me and we went over their XFinityStream app, which is on Smart TVs and doesn't require an extra fee and I still get cable

So this is worse

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
$100 isn't disruptive enough, you should know this by now T-Mobile, especially with all of your uncarrier shit. If this was say $40 than maybe but at $100 and $10 for each additional TV you're no better than what's out there.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
For the record, I have XFinity and I called them to say I wanted to get cable but not with a set top box, they said they couldn't do anything for me

2 days later, they called me and we went over their XFinityStream app, which is on Smart TVs and doesn't require an extra fee and I still get cable

So this is worse

Honestly, the Xfinity Stream App is one of the reasons I don't switch out of Comcast. It works on my Rokus and iPads; and I only have the most basic cable box with it. It's very convenient and pretty good overall.

OP
OP

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Honestly, the Xfinity Stream App is one of the reasons I don't switch out of Comcast. It works on my Rokus and iPads; and I only have the most basic cable box with it. It's very convenient and pretty good overall.

It's extremely useful for me even though I still have Sling too

It comes with my plan at no extra cost too

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just tweeted them what I said previously and basically everyone else is saying the same thing across the internet. They're going to make a change to that price ASAP you can count on it.

JMTHEFOX

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Wait.... you seriously need a box for each TV? Also, what the fuck at that price?

No thanks, I rather cut the cord properly with the good old YouTube TV + Philo TV combo with none of that bullshit.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
thats more than what layer 3 cost..............and that shit was already stupid expensive for no reason. Didn't even have NBATV

We also had nothing but buffering issues with Layer3, it would constantly freeze for no reason. I have a gigabit connection and layer 3 was wired and it froze

FLEABttn

Oct 25, 2017
This is rebranded Layer3, which I tried for 2 weeks back in October and November. Their DVR/hardware is unreliable and both missed DVR timers regularly and required frequent power cycling, as well as their DVR has no "trick play" and only has fast forward and rewind to handle commercials.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how about instead i bundle cable and internet for cheaper t-mobile? i want 5g to take on cable but if its at these prices then it doesn't matter.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, if the conglomerates that own the channels (content) themselves want you to pay $10_$15/ month to carry their 20 or so channels, and they won't let you split the channels you really want from the bundle, you have very little room to be actually "disruptive".

With the eventual death of cable/ satellite middlemen, It will end up with Studios/ conglomerates each offering their own service, to which you can choose to subscribe. In the meantime, they will try hard to acquire content, as seen with AT&T and Comcast.

I can eventually see

AT&T/ DirecTV: Warner/ HBO/ CW/ DC
Disney: Disney/ Lucasfilm/ Marvel/ Fox/ ABC
Comcast: Universal/ NBC

T-Mobile/ Sprint: Possibly acquiring Viacom ( CBS/ Paramount) which afaik is currently a big nugget?

Sony: Perhaps trying going at it alone in services between gaming and music, but more likely also consolidating Columbia with another acquisition in movies (Lionsgate? Would include Starz and Summit) and tv (imo a likely one is Discovery Inc, which would include the Discovery tv channels, but also Eurosport, HGTV, Food Network, etc.)

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
$99 a month? Unless it includes every channel in Europe and Asia who is going to pay for it?

Oct 27, 2017
I cancelled TV because I didnt want to pay 100 bucks a month, no thanks Tmobile! I love your wireless service but this is kinda silly!