• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
its Just to show they are not on iPhone bc than you don't get to use the Apple features bc android phones are not compatible.

I guess iPhones cost the most and people want to date the person with most expensive phone?

Oct 28, 2017
I like iMessage as much as the next guy but I've been on Apple for only a year now....what is the list of improvements iMessage allows?
Honestly I don't know, it's suppose to be like WhatsApp I think. I have both and don't use any advanced functionality so eh.
ONLY if android is more green than blue. otherwise we have a problem.
Compromise, each text is a randomly generated gradient of blue-green.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like iMessage as much as the next guy but I've been on Apple for only a year now....what is the list of improvements iMessage allows?
Allows for longer messages

Videos sent by SMS have to be compressed as shit and always look terrible, whereas iMessage videos do not

Deilvery Confirmation

Read Confirmation

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
You can see when the other person is typing (really good for group chats)

Read receipts

You know for sure whether or not a message got sent or not

yeah, those things are nice, I like the new feature where in CarPlay and driving somewhere you click an ETA button that iMessage a contact for you so they know your on way, and details, and get another message like a minute away. But it was ripped out a few beta updates ago, so fingers crossed it comes back?

i have heard you can send higher quality photos, but I don't know say what a messenger sends like in compared to image quality to iMessage?
i also like where you can hold on a txt message and like it,etc like you would a fb post. Me and the wife use the thumbs up all the time. Especially on the watch.

the thing where you hold down the send button and get cool effects like fireworks is neat, but just flair. Miimjoi, to be fair is kind of nearer than I want to give it credit for, and the miimoji stickers in ios13 will def expand who uses that feature, prob get a bit more popular.

i guess FaceTime gets lumped in kind of? Right? Is it better than the video chat if competitors ?

edit: another thought, on iOS 13 they are going to leave a lil "sent by Siri" when you use it to send a message which I always do, esp in the car…is this a feature? It kind of lets the other person know to allow for some errors in the spmessage, but in a way thats massaging the abrasiveness of Siri...lacking right now, but speaking of which is the rumour that siriOS ios14 thing got any merit to it

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
iMessage is great, but I'm not using any iPhone starting with the X and beyond. I have fundamental disagreements with their designs. Maybe one day Apple will end this silly green bubble shaming, which also results in people making stereotypes that non-iPhone users are poorer. Humans are terrible.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
W
giphy.gif

That's explicit.
Whoa this looks amazing

AZ Greg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The iOS hate is never surprisingly from this place, especially when it's concerning a social feature. All the studies showing that introvert homebodies prefer Android are spot on!

Nov 8, 2017
this obsession with bubble colour is so fucking bizarre and it has to be a mostly american thing i swear
Is this a USA thing? what
Lol, I didn't even know this was a thing. Is it unique to the US?
Yes. The rest of the world had the common sense to use WhatsApp.

You can see when the other person is typing (really good for group chats)

Read receipts

You know for sure whether or not a message got sent or not
WhatsApp does all those things.

IconGrist

Oct 26, 2017
It amazes me people still don't know that read receipts is a thing on android. As well as the little animated typing icon when someone is replying to you.

Khrno

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Gotta mention that not only WhatsApp but also Line and Facebook Messenger have done all of this since long time ago.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

It varies.

Messenger (FB) is extremely popular in North America and around the world.

Line is big in Japan.

Whatsapp is big in Central/South America and various Asian countries (India, etc).

WeChat is big especially in China.

Viber, Telegram, etc all have a market.

But I think that user was saying iMessage is better compared to normal SMS.

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
So iPhone users have nothing to brag about so they went with chat bubble color?
Pretty much, and it's something any android user can have by buying a few year old Mac Mini and setting it up as a relay to forward to your phone. There's several apps that leverage Apple hardware to give you access to iMessages for people who want it and have $50-$150 to burn.

Nov 8, 2017
It varies.

Messenger (FB) is extremely popular in North America and around the world.

Line is big in Japan.

Whatsapp is big in Central/South America and various Asian countries (India, etc).
Line is huge in Japan.

WeChat is big especially in China.

Viber, Telegram, etc all have a market.

But I think that user was saying iMessage is better compared to normal SMS.
Yeah, I use Messenger too in addition to WhatsApp. I guess my point was more that the rest of the world has moved away from SMS.

(I still pay per SMS message, so I'm not even messaging someone who isn't using one of the apps)

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Fuck the classism of being locked in to an iPhone and blaming it on others

Pretty sure Whatsapp is like 90% of mobile messaging users in Italy, no one I know actually uses SMSs

Some millennials be moving to Telegram, which I enjoy the most, and it is multiplatform. Both have 95% of iMessage features, only missing maybe the watch thing.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I begrudge having to use WhatsApp purely because of the limitation of being tied to a single device.

In this day and age I should be able to have a single account across as many devices as I choose. The web app isn't sufficient.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
LOL I have infinite SMSs on my plan but when I have 0 data I'm like "nope, no messaging for me now". I don't even think about them other than for services sending codes.

Nov 8, 2017
I begrudge having to use WhatsApp purely because of the limitation of being tied to a single device.

In this day and age I should be able to have a single account across as many devices as I choose. The web app isn't sufficient.
Yeah, gotta admit that I find that annoying too. I use the web version a lot because I can't stand typing on a phone, but it often has connectivity issues since it still relies on being connected to the phone.

I prefer Messenger myself, but got forced into WhatsApp because most people I know are only on WhatsApp.

The first two are good.
The third is whatever,
The fourth is fucking creepy.
It's a standard feature in every messaging app I've used, and I'm pretty sure most of them let you disable it (i.e. people can no longer see when you've read their message, but then you also can't see when other people have read your messages).

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
These threads have popped up before she people admit they hate the blue ticks I think mainly to do with group chats. Also people have said they have been excluded because of it.

It's actually fucking disgusting. It's like something from Black Mirror.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where I live nobody gives a shit about the color of your text bubbles. Everyone is using WhatsApp anyway. By the way, you should be glad if someone is not going to date you just because your text bubbles are a different color. It means you just dodged a bullet.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
I'm the only person I text with an iPhone, so I didn't even realize texts were color coded by device. I thought green was just the color of text messages lol

I learned something from this thread!

They aren't really coded by device - if you send an SMS from iPhone to iPhone the message will appear green as it's the color of SMS. iMessage messages are in blue.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
I'm glad the majority here use WhatsApp so we don't have to deal with this silly snobbery.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
I'd still be using sms on an iphone because most of my use of it is to people with feature phones

Oct 27, 2017

iMessage doesn't have to be downloaded though. It's a built-in messaging app. That's its only thing that makes it better, which is a really small thing... But iOS people have to latch onto something to feel better. I'm using an iPhone right now, but my next one is going to be Android again. I miss Android.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
iMessage doesn't have to be downloaded though. It's a built-in messaging app. That's its only thing that makes it better, which is a really small thing... But iOS people have to latch onto something to feel better. I'm using an iPhone right now, but my next one is going to be Android again. I miss Android.

I don't think most people get self-worth from the electronics they use. But hey! If it makes you feel better! <3