• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has been using Google phones since the Nexus 6P, I seriously hope that Google stops their bullshit and actually makes a cohesive product that we would actually want to buy and is marketed a shit load better. Plus, don't release it in Oct/Nov, release it in like June or something.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
As someone who has been using Google phones since the Nexus 6P, I seriously hope that Google stops their bullshit and actually makes a cohesive product that we would actually want to buy and is marketed a shit load better. Plus, don't release it in Oct/Nov, release it in like June or something.

And if they are intent to release a phone in November, at least give it the enhanced version of the SoC available that year. The Pixel 4 launching that late without the SD855+ at that price is just baffling.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
And if they are intent to release a phone in November, at least give it the enhanced version of the SoC available that year. The Pixel 4 launching that late without the SD855+ at that price is just baffling.

The thing is, when it comes out at that time, it's always 6 months before the next and better SoC. So why not wait for the better item at that point? Pixel's release time frame feels like a middle iteration of what's already out, so why should most people bother?

Oct 27, 2017
Normally this is pretty annoying when there's a node shrink every year or some big new features but the jump from 855 to 865 was pretty minor and iterative (skipping 855+ altogether for this example). I don't even think most hardcore users would notice the difference when it comes to any app you would run on a smartphone.

And 5G doesn't really matter yet. I remember back in 2010 when 4G started rolling out and people were running around like headless chicken bragging about download speeds near the one LTE tower in their city while always carrying a charger in their pocket. Then the iPhone 5 came out two years later after battery efficiency and network coverage actually got to the point that it's not a gimmick.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really surprised at how good these TCL mid-rangers are. It could make a good secondary phone or a replacement for the gf:

www.androidpolice.com

TCL 10L review: Stretching what you get for $250

It's not often we get a new name in the Android ecosystem, but following its freshman Plex, TCL is putting its best foot forward with three new phones

www.androidcentral.com

TCL 10 Pro and 10L review: A great starting point

TCL is mostly known in the U.S. for its consumer televisions, but it's looking to establish itself as a serious player in the mobile space as well, with two new phones affordable ...

Last edited:

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Normally this is pretty annoying when there's a node shrink every year or some big new features but the jump from 855 to 865 was pretty minor and iterative (skipping 855+ altogether for this example). I don't even think most hardcore users would notice the difference when it comes to any app you would run on a smartphone.

And 5G doesn't really matter yet. I remember back in 2010 when 4G started rolling out and people were running around like headless chicken bragging about download speeds near the one LTE tower in their city while always carrying a charger in their pocket. Then the iPhone 5 came out two years later after battery efficiency and network coverage actually got to the point that it's not a gimmick.

Isn't most of T-Mobiles "5G" literally just it's 600mhz band 71 that you also get in 4g lte?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
5G mm wave is in one part of my city that my dentist is in. Samurai Showdown on Stadia played great. Not a single hiccup.

Now to barely use 5G or Stadia again.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't most of T-Mobiles "5G" literally just it's 600mhz band 71 that you also get in 4g lte?
5G is just a LTE (long term evolution) marketing term that aligns with the general availability of mm-wave spectrum. The terrible propagation and penetration properties of mm-wave, mean 5G is a massive (huge) $$$ infrastructure investment in exchange for the spectral bandwidth and speed it provides. But generally speaking 5G is using the same ODFM modulation that 4G used (just more of it). 600MHz is decidedly not mm-wave and will never give you the speed of mm-wave, but is certainly requires the least amout of investment for wide area as well as indoor coverage.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Been using the OnePlus 7 Pro the last several days and I like it quite a bit, but I do miss quite a few Samsung features from my S10e.

The screen is huge and gorgeous, and not having a hole punch or notch is pretty nice (even if I got used to it on the S10e). I can finally type with decent accuracy again and the 90hz is nice too.
The in-screen fingerprint sensor works surprisingly well as well, and I like the screen off gesture for flashlight.

I do miss some things that I wasn't aware were apparently Samsung exclusive.
I miss being able to make the volume increments smaller (so I can listen to music more quietly at night than the standard lowest volume). I had just found out that it was an option a few weeks before.

I'm also more used to Samsung's gesture controls so far (swipe up-middle for home, up-left for back, up-right for task manager). I find the home swipe up gesture on the oneplus to be more finicky, and the task manager is annoying to do right. I'd leave the nav bar buttons on, but I hate that it has a white background a lot of the time, it looks terrible that way.

Thinking about rooting my phone for the first time in years if I can get some of that functionality back.

Last edited:

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Stephen Hall (9to5Google) tweeted that he's heard the Pixel 4A will be $350 for 128GB storage. That would be a pretty competitive price point for Google.

Honestly, even as somebody who just recently bought an iPhone SE I'd still get a Pixel 4A at that price point.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I've been holding off on buying the Pixel Buds 2 to see if they have any kind of package deal with the 4a. Ready to ditch my 4 and get back to a phone with a fingerprint scanner.

Crashnburn85

Oct 25, 2017
California
I just got an S10e, which is a pretty slick little phone, but that Pixel 4a rumored at $349 for 128GB storage is incredibly tempting. My return period on my S10e is coming up in a few days....hmmmm....

Pricing aside, the S10e invariably has the edge on display quality, wireless charging, and build quality. But Pixel 4a will edge out on camera, battery life, and software support. The fingerprint reader location on the S10e is also kind of annoying. Tough call....

Oct 25, 2017
so glad i got in on that price match for the pixel 4 xl.

Got it for $600 at best buy while they also had a $200 gift card promo. not bad secondary phone for $400*.

Oct 25, 2017
what phones/devices yall looking forward to this year?

for me, galaxy fold 2 and lite.

surface duo (allegedly still coming out this year?)

note 20+ (to see how much better this second gen fp sensor gonna be).

new iphone 12 pro's.... if they switch to usb -c (seems unlikely this year).

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
With the 8 Pro I already got my device of this year. Still, the iPhone's are always interesting.

The Note 20 had better have proper 120hz and QHD.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fold 2 for finally giving a big screen on the front and even bigger when open
iPhone 12 to see what they do with camera and 120hz(potentially)
Pixel 5(I still look forward to it even if they usually screw it up)

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If Fold 2 is usable folded up, 120Hz and fixes the stupid big screen cameras, I'll fold at under £1,000. Anything else and I'll just hold on to this S20+ and wait for 2021

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
The OP 8 Pro is pretty much the perfect phone in my mind. Now that they have competitive cameras, there's really nothing else I could want in a phone.

It's so good I'd be willing overlook the punch hole (!). If only I could afford one.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Figured out how to get lower volume in my OnePlus.

The same app I used in Samsung (Precise Volume or something) doesn't work the same way, but if I tweak the EQ settings in the app I can just lower everything and that lowers the overall phone volume.

A little annoying I can't just make it work without going into the app, but at least it's still easily doable.
Surface Duo I'm very interested in, but depends on what the price and the usability will be like for a dual screen android phone. Also worried that the price will be too high.

Fold 2 or any other foldables I'm curious just to see how they've improved over the first generation, even if they're still years away from being affordable.
Honestly, I'd prefer to wait until Apple does a foldable (if ever). I'd love an iPad mini that could fold to phone size, and their tablet app ecosystem is much better than Android.

No regular phones interest me anymore honestly, outside of super long battery life.
Maybe the lower end iPhones if they are getting OLED screens and if they can bump the resolution to at least 1080p

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
OPPO Reno 4
ROG Phone 3
Nokia 9.3

I'm also curious to see how much better the zoom capabilities of the P40 Pro Plus will be. Lossless zoom is the new differentiator and Huawei is already ahead.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

for me, galaxy fold 2 and lite.

surface duo (allegedly still coming out this year?)

note 20+ (to see how much better this second gen fp sensor gonna be).

new iphone 12 pro's.... if they switch to usb -c (seems unlikely this year).
The Note 20.

Only because if it shows up without a punch hole camera, that means the S30 is my phone to buy.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017

I was ready to jump ship on an iPhone XR or 11, but the latest rumours about the 4a being $350 for the 128GB base plus the leaked prototype battery life test being actually good (5+ hours SOT with intensive use and benchmarks, 7+ hours on regular use) peaked my interest. Also the rumours about the Nokia 6.3 that popped up in Reddit telling that it's coming in Q3, upgrading to a SD730 (same as the 4a) and being designed "with single handed use in mind".

So, I'll just wait to see what can both the 4a and 6.3 offer and see what do I do. I just couldn't care less about the tablets they're selling nowadays as Android phones unfortunately. For reference, I've had a Nokia 7 Plus since it released 2 years ago because it ticked all the boxes I wanted, and I absolutely hate its size so much that even without a case it feels too big.

Oct 25, 2017
Where in Android can I find the settings so when I paste something into a text box it replaces what is already there and doesn't just paste at the end of the existing text. For the life of me I can't even remember what setting this would be called in Microsoft Word.

Edit - It's overtype, but not exactly what I'm looking for.

In Pokemon Go I use an app to scan the Pokemon and rename it based on the rating it has, the app automatically copies the new name into the clipboard and then you just insert it and it's done, but lately it is adding the copied text to the end of the Pokemon's existing name which doesn't work as the text box doesn't have enough room. No idea if I changed a setting or it was changed in a software update or something but it's annoying me =/

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Man, it's taking me longer to get used to a more "pure" (or at least non-Samsung) version of Android on my OnePlus 7 Pro.
It took me multiple days to figure out how to get notifications exactly how I want them.

Specifically with Twitter, I want to have the app icon appear in the notification bar, but not to have a noise or vibration alert me to it.
In older versions of Android or modified versions it was just in the specific app settings>notifications and then I could make any change I wanted from there.

Now those settings are buried a little deeper. There's a bunch of switches like usual to turn off specific notifications in apps, but the sound/vibration settings aren't right there. You have to tap on the name of the specific notification (like "new tweets", or "direct messages") and at least on my phone there's zero visual indication that you can even tap on the names for more settings.
I spent ages Googling solutions and eventually found an app that let's you do what I wanted until I stumbled on the right nested settings menu I was looking for.

Even having done it last night, I had already forgotten how to get back there tonight as I tried to find it again to make this post.
Maybe it's just the OnePlus skin that makes it harder to see that those notification names are buttons, or it's just poor UI design.

Kaiyo

Oct 25, 2017
Man, it's taking me longer to get used to a more "pure" (or at least non-Samsung) version of Android on my OnePlus 7 Pro.
It took me multiple days to figure out how to get notifications exactly how I want them.

Specifically with Twitter, I want to have the app icon appear in the notification bar, but not to have a noise or vibration alert me to it.
In older versions of Android or modified versions it was just in the specific app settings>notifications and then I could make any change I wanted from there.

Now those settings are buried a little deeper. There's a bunch of switches like usual to turn off specific notifications in apps, but the sound/vibration settings aren't right there. You have to tap on the name of the specific notification (like "new tweets", or "direct messages") and at least on my phone there's zero visual indication that you can even tap on the names for more settings.
I spent ages Googling solutions and eventually found an app that let's you do what I wanted until I stumbled on the right nested settings menu I was looking for.

Even having done it last night, I had already forgotten how to get back there tonight as I tried to find it again to make this post.
Maybe it's just the OnePlus skin that makes it harder to see that those notification names are buttons, or it's just poor UI design.
I don't have the one plus, but on Android 10 you go to the (specific) app info then notification and select on the specific type of notification (if it's not on silent already there's a bell icon on the left of it) e.g. direct message and then put it to silent.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (5 days): Posting and profiting from referral links, ignoring moderator warnings regarding this
Samsung has the S20 on sale for $720 and S20+ on sale for $899 with perksatwork or school discount. With perksatwork you also get 20% in rewards points with them. You also get a $50 samsung credit with the S20+ and you can get an additional 5% off your purchase using code ref-qdszn2 at checkout or using this link

Mod Edit. Referral code removed.

Tempted to buy a S20+. Had a S20 before, but sold it because it was too small and this is a killer deal with the rewards points.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 25, 2017
There was something similar to that in Canada

20% off with a coupon and 200 dollars trade-in with any phone

I think it'll go lower, they must be hurting for sales

Rewrite

Oct 26, 2017
Fontana, California

Good news! I think you were the one who posted about the low volume level not being enough, OnePlus will be tweaking the audio in a later update to make the current low volume even lower.

www.androidpolice.com

Dark Mode Quick Settings toggle coming to OxygenOS, plus other tweaks planned

As part of its monthly Q&A (or FAQ — the company calls it both), OnePlus has just revealed a handful of smaller but still much-appreciated

Other stuff include a dark mode toggle in the quick settings too.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Good news! I think you were the one who posted about the low volume level not being enough, OnePlus will be tweaking the audio in a later update to make the current low volume even lower.

www.androidpolice.com

Dark Mode Quick Settings toggle coming to OxygenOS, plus other tweaks planned

As part of its monthly Q&A (or FAQ — the company calls it both), OnePlus has just revealed a handful of smaller but still much-appreciated

Other stuff include a dark mode toggle in the quick settings too.
Awesome! I managed a work around with the app Precise Volume by lowering all the EQ settings, but it's nice to know I probably won't need it much longer.

The new task switcher looks great too, having all the app icons at the bottom is really smart. The one built into it is pretty mediocre, I much preferred Samsung's solutions, like how you can have it be organized as a list.

Now if they can just add the option to put the brightness bar directly under the quick action buttons (without doing a double swipe down or a two finger swipe down)
The OnePlus 7 Pro's auto brightness isn't the best, it's probably because it doesn't have a traditional front camera.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
What is it that makes phone calls ring on my MacBook? I thought it was Pushbullet for a long time, but I got a new work laptop and I haven't installed Pushbullet on my S20 so it's not that. Is it just being signed in to Chrome?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
999 Pixel 5
765G
1800mAh battery
Same 12MP camera as Pixel 4
Same 64/128/whatever storage with no microSD
No headphone jack

And then they will wonder why it doesn't sell when stuff like the Nokia 8.3 5G exists

120Hz display that only refreshes at 120Hz when at +95% battery and idling on the home screen
Have to choose between 60Hz 1080p and 120Hz 720p
USB C port is on the side
Face unlock but you have to use the back camera.
2MP macro camera instead of an ultrawide.
A notch AND a punchhole and bezels

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Note that, 5 generations in, you still can't officially buy a Pixel device outside of a select few countries.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
www.youtube.com

LG Velvet Unboxing [4K]

- LG launched a new phone called Velvet instead of V60 and G9 here in South Korea.It comes with Snapdragon 765, 8GB RAM, 128GB storage, 4300mAh battery, and ...

The new $700 premium midranger from LG.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
The Nokia 8.3 already got slammed for being "way too expensive" at 600€, having more or less the chipet/memory/features that the Pixel 5 is expected to have. Anything more than that (especially if coupled with a sub-par battery for like the 5th time in a row) and it's toast.