• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
A newer "feature" in the past 6 months or so of using my Android phone has led me to become increasingly annoyed with the way it operates.

Effectively, I might look at my phone and see a news story notification from Google, an update from Facebook, an email in GMail, and so on.

I swipe to hide/ignore all of these, but a half hour later (or more, it's seemingly random how frequently they come back), they're back. If I swipe something, I don't care about looking at it now, nor later. Is there a way to set it to how it use to work "swipe to forever delete that specific notification. New notifications from that app will still appear."

Google and Facebook are the biggest abusers of this, but other apps are starting to do it, too.

Thanks!

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I've been noticing this too, especially with sports scores for teams I follow. I saw we won 5-2, I don't need you to show me 5 more times throughout the day and into the next.

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who uses both Gmail and Facebook Im not really sure what you're talking about. If you get another notification after swiping one it's because it's a new notification. Either way that's on the app, but Android allows you to toggle Gmail sync frequency

OP
OP
AlteredBeast

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who uses both Gmail and Facebook Im not really sure what you're talking about. If you get another notification after swiping one it's because it's a new notification. Either way that's on the app, but Android allows you to toggle Gmail sync frequency

Not for me. It'll be something to the effect of "Do you know this person, add so and so as a friend" and I'll swipe it to delete it. Next time I log onto Facebook, I can look and decide if I want to add them (99.9% of the time it's a no from me, dawg". but sure enough, some undetermined amount of time later, I will get the same notification about adding the same person.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
That's not it, I get the same thing.

Facebook is definitely the worst offender followed by Google. I'll get the same notification for some Facebook post hours apart. Or there's a new trailer out and Google keeps pushing.

I'm on Pie, so it hasn't been fixed yet.

Oct 30, 2017
I had Wi-fi calling notifications out the wazoo when I first upgraded. Finally was able to stop it once I found how to toggle notifications. I've also had buggy UIs with some of the proprietary apps since the update to Oreo as well.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Edit: Nvm, I was thinking of the wrong notification problem. No, I'm not sure how to fix the recurring notification issue. I get that too with my traffic update notification from Google Maps. It just keeps popping up.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
Slightly different, but I installed Lineage OS 15 recently and it came with semi-permanent notifications about stuff like its privacy manager. My preferred apps had a few as well. It was really cluttered and I confirmed I could not disable them in the apps. I ended up buying a $2.50 store app that lets you hide messages from specific apps without otherwise harming their functionality. (I forget the details, but it didn't seem possible through the vanilla OS UI.) So, if it comes to it there are nuclear options.