• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't fully settled into it all yet, but to me this all just looks very, very neat.

8pOdG14.png

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I like it so far, just wish I could mute notifications while still keeping ring tones on.

famicorpse

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Mar 15, 2019
Personally think it's ugly. The last Android phone I had was a Pixel 3a though. I love Oppo's take on Android the most and if I ever get a second phone just to have to mess with Android, it'd be one of those.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
OneUI 4 over android 12 looks great though. Best android UI imo, better than the vanilla android for sure.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Completely disagree, I'm a huge fan of it. I find oneUI to be completely disgusting & a total mess, this atleast has a cohesive UI across all the standard android apps & actually syncs your colours. It's probably the nicest android has looked IMO since Lollipop. Hopefully they stick with it and keep refining it as time moves on.

Why is it so rounded :'(.

What launcher?
That's the stock Pixel Launcher for Pixel Devices.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
Agree with most of the points in the OP, especially lock-screen clock, system color, and weather widget.

Also, it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out how to get to the app tray. Now that I'm used to it, I hate it. The old way worked just fine.

Time to explore other launchers, which I've really only avoided cause of potential affect on battery life.

Edit: Pixel 3 here.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
So glad One UI 4 keeps its own look. Because yeah, stock Android 12 just looks terrible to me.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
The notification pull-down is weird now, but otherwise I kinda like it.

As someone with poor eyesight, the improvements to legibility are appreciated.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
There are a lot of things I like, the new widgets, the auto colour selector based on wallpaper.

But I wish I could pick from a range, and give me back my transparencies!

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
That lock screen clock is the absolute biggest offender to me. Utterly absurd that there's no way to at least change that.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
When was the last time you tried Samsung?

Their Touchwiz was garbage but it's so much better now and getting better.

As someone that has an S21 for work and a newly acquired Pixel 6 Pro for my person phone, I like the UI and how it works more on the Pixel than the S21. For me, the S21 feels... bland.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
iOS user here. It looks OK. I don't see some big dileniation between previous Android and this in terms of good/bad, but I haven't used it.

I will say that at least they are trying to establish Androids unique look and style, instead of photocopying iOS like Samsung seem to do.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like it, except for the black background when pulling down the notification bar.
I'm so glad they're not cluttering the screens like a Linux TV underground hacking nerd lol

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Android 12 looks the same for me as the beta. How do I get it to look more bubbly? The date and temperature are the same little icons they always were, but in all the coverage I've seen of it, it's supposed to be this huge diagonal bubble on the home screen

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Android 12 looks the same for me as the beta. How do I get it to look more bubbly? The date and temperature are the same little icons they always were, but in all the coverage I've seen of it, it's supposed to be this huge diagonal bubble on the home screen
They are widgets you have to add to your homescreen, Should be under clock & google respectively for Time / Weather.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017

Are you using the "at a glance" widget? They didn't change that one.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
  • The lock screen clock is now gigantic and broken over two lines.

This one is an odd decision but it's not hard to adjust to. The people who would think to read the time in that image as 1020 will figure it out quickly. It still is odd they even bothered to create a minor pain point like this.
  • The date and weather now are aligned to the left leaving all this awkward space on the lock and home screen.
They did more than that. They made the date and time button bigger than the other widgets.

If this means we can choose to make widgets bigger than others then that is a very cool and useful feature in terms of visually organizing the most important functions.

If we can't choose it's nothing amazing but don't think this is useless. It is obvious Google has enough metrics to know most people are using this specific app constantly and is only making things easier to access that app.
  • All the pull down menu quick settings are gigantic buttons now with a huge corner radius.
  • They combined the wifi and cell signal buttons into one thing under the pulldown
  • Brightness slider is now this ugly thick bar
  • The google keep checklist widget is now this big ugly rounded box with buttons on the side.
  • All the text is gigantic now and everything feels zoomed in.

Based on this picture it seems like every app gets a dedicated window?
If that is true I'm not sure why Google would go in this direction. Maybe it helps make multitasking more efficient but I have my doubts.

One of the problems with everything getting a window is that zoomed in feel you mentioned. It can make navigation worse.
  • Can no longer access google pay by holding the power button. Have to swipe down and click instead
Shame they removed this feature. I never needed it but until it is clarified if another function replaced this feature it looks like a bad idea.
  • The app launcher is now this ugly gray color with a search box that blends into the background once you start scrolling
Not exactly sure what you are referring to here.
  • The system colors are automatically chosen by your wallpaper. You can change it slightly by choosing different auto generated options, but the result is always a bunch of faded pastel colored buttons everywhere.
The color matching thing is neat but hopefully this can be changed in dev tools.

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, I agree with you OP, the little changes this go around feel like a step backwards in terms of usability. Ended up jumping ship to iOS for unrelated hardware reasons (Pixel 3a XL boot loop problems), but the UI design shift certainly didn't help retain me.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I think making all apps and icons look the same and use similar colors is weird. My brain quickly identifies what app I'm in based on colors. Oh, light blue, it's Twitter. Green and black? Spotify, etc.

I guess you don't have to use that, but that's the big design idea of Android 12.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
The giant lock screen clock and rounded corners on everything are what annoys me the most. I turned off that ridiculous jelly animation when scrolling.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
The worst thing is that they want the whole color matching to also be implemented in the apps. So if the user has a green system color, then the apps should be green too.

What a stupid idea. Why would you want all your apps in the same color, which companies would ever want to give up their brand color for that.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
It completely broke my wife's phone so that she can't use the a portion of the touch screen. We both have a Pixel 4a. It was working fine before the update but now lots of apps are unusable due her. She uninstalled everything but the core suite and even reformatted the phone but it's still not working.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Sitting here looking at my unopened Pixel 6 Pro from Amazon.......
Y'all making me nervous. Does Amazon accept smartphone returns if I hate it? lol

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
also thought it was about dbz but this actually looks worse than dbz android 14
oof
good thing you can theme most of it away

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I'm just really annoyed that some conveniences I had by default have disappeared and I have no idea how to get those back?

I used to have my Google Home controls for lights and whatnot on my "hold the power button" screen for easy access. Does anyone know how to get those back in Android 12?

JonathanEx

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot I like about it in theory, but also, a bunch of stuff that doesn't feel right yet. It's very buggy on my Pixel 5, to a degree I don't understand how it's released.

And for all the talk of how it's 'You' - it's just a bit of colouring, and the rest of the stuff doesn't really respond yet. I know they showed a bunch of 'concept' stuff, but it's not there yet, in different weights, sizes, etc.

I like some things being chunkier, but some of those bits become a bit dead feeling.

Or options are missing - I have a big clock widget, the digital one instead of the analog one (for a design based about making things easier to use by making controls chunkier, sure, that design doesn't add up) has the Date on and can't be removed - so it looks messy with the forced top-corner stuff preview. I can turn it off, but then you lose the weather. Ehh.