• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I upgraded to this a few days ago and I like the animations and the design, but because of the functionality as a beta, a lot of my apps aren't working. Some of them I can live without even though I use them but others are crucial when I'm away from a computer like gmail. The other weird thing is that when I go into system settings it doesn't even say 12 beta, it still just says 11.

Is anyone else on the beta?

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Out of all thing why gmail not working? seem a weird priority order they have there

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
It's working quite well here, so sounds like a bug on some specific device.
I don't even know if it's a device specific thing, maybe it's just my specific phone. But I need these apps to work eventually or I'll have to roll back from the beta, if that's even possible.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I can't wait until Android 16, 17 & 18 release so we can have some good quality Dbz memes.

Saw a tidbit of the feature set.
Nothing mind-blowing. The new look will probably be cool

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
i installed it earlier today and haven't noticed any issues yet

i get the rounder look the os is going for, but do the sliders (volume and brightness) have to be this large? they look ugly af

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know if it's a device specific thing, maybe it's just my specific phone. But I need these apps to work eventually or I'll have to roll back from the beta, if that's even possible.

I'm afraid to say that's not really a thing. I upgraded too early last year, and found out the hard way that you have to start over if you want to go back to the previous version.

Hopefully your bugs will get squashed soon.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the videos I've seen of it, it looks ugly as hell and super over designed.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm afraid to say that's not really a thing. I upgraded too early last year, and found out the hard way that you have to start over if you want to go back to the previous version.

Hopefully your bugs will get squashed soon.
wow that really fucking blows lol. what phone do you have?

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
From the videos I've seen of it, it looks ugly as hell and super over designed.
The animations are a little more sparkly and the notifications are bigger, other than that I don't see how it's over designed. It's just a little different.
Pixel 3a. Really impressed with this beta, only experienced some serious bugs with the splitscreen.
How do I let the devs know about crucial apps crashing? Or is it likely that they're already aware of how it's affecting certain devices?

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I upgraded to this a few days ago and I like the animations and the design, but because of the functionality as a beta, a lot of my apps aren't working. Some of them I can live without even though I use them but others are crucial when I'm away from a computer like gmail. The other weird thing is that when I go into system settings it doesn't even say 12 beta, it still just says 11.

Is anyone else on the beta?
I haven't experienced any of these issues on a Pixel 4a 5g. All apps work and my version shows S. Beta 2 should be coming this week or next week though assuming you have a Pixel.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I had some camera issues for 2 days last week that weren't present before or since. A couple of reboots didn't seem to fix it so maybe the app updated or something server side happened. It would freeze up my 4a 5G, especially if I filled the buffer, and I had to wait about 2 minutes before I couldn't interact with my phone again.

No other issues.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't experienced any of these issues on a Pixel 4a 5g. All apps work and my version shows S. Beta 2 should be coming this week or next week though assuming you have a Pixel.
Yes, I'm on the 4 XL. Hardware wise, your phone is not that different from mine so I feel like it is a specific case for me that a lot of crucial apps aren't working. Like I said my system settings doesn't even say 12, it still says 11 so when Beta 2 rolls around will I be able to update it there or will I have to visit the website for it?

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Crashing fest and the aesthetics aren't implemented yet. Pixel 3a

i did the upgrade for the aesthetics upgrade. The uniform color feature or whatever.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
It's been running flawlessly for me so far. GPay and everything works fine.

The only thing I really don't like is the volume slider, but it looks like it's going to be changed in Beta 2.

Yzec

Dec 11, 2019
Belgium
If GMail isn't working, go to the Google Play store and uninstall 'Android System WebView' then reinstall/enable it again. That fixed it for me on Pixel 4a.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
Been very stable on Android 12 on my Pixel 4 XL. The only app I've had issues with is Imaging Edge Mobile for transferring photos from my Sony camera over wifi direct. Seems to fail every time it tries to connect to the camera. Not a killer issue for me, since it's just to get a larger look at the photos I've taken until I can get to my computer to properly process them. So, I can live without that for a while. Otherwise, every other app has been perfectly fine.

The beta itself just feels like a new coat of paint. Not a lot of new functionality that affects my day-to-day usage.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I avoid being on the cutting edge these days but I wouldn't mind seeing a youtube video of changes/features. Any run downs?

Also something I've noticed the last few releases of Android is how pretty much everything is optional... from chat bubbles to gesture navigation to notification changes, etc., so you can have "the latest" while still having basically the same UI/experience from several releases ago.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Updated to my Pixel 5, works great.

Only issue is in-app links open in browser, e.g. a facebook link in discord will open in discord browser instead of facebook app

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
Been pretty stable on my pixel 5. Installed it in my mom's since the new design is better for her since she has bad eyesight. One thing I noticed since upgrading is my battery life pretty much doubled.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't opened up every single app on my phone but there a lot that don't work. Not only that but the bug reporting is also crashing so I can't even provide feedback to Google. I really need them to rollout a stability update

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
Yeah in our sprint review it was brought up that a lot of our app functionality doesn't work on android 12 yet. Seems to be a lot of major changes so I'm sure other devs are going through the same.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
It's been great. The biggest visual overhaul in years but the functionality changes are useful as well.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah in our sprint review it was brought up that a lot of our app functionality doesn't work on android 12 yet. Seems to be a lot of major changes so I'm sure other devs are going through the same.
Do you know when the next stability update will be released?

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
No idea sorry to say. I'm not a mobile developer just on a team with mobile developers and that did come up.
With the usual beta schedule it usually releases the same week as the monthly security patch, so probably next week we should get beta 2.
Okay, so it is just a waiting game then. Will checking system updates on the phone be enough? Or will we have to frequent the beta's website for the updates?