• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Nice video, but what's with everyone in tech being so obsessed with the number 10? Windows 10. OS X (ten). The iPhone skipping 9 and going to X (ten). Android 10.
to be fair, OS X was the new version of the Macintosh OS after the 9 releases of the classic OS. also, they recently rebranded to just macOS

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Android stopped doing numbered versions because they were behind iOS and they didn't want people to think they were "outdated"?

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
I'm okay with it. The only Q desserts out there are so ridiculously weird, probably better to just knock off Apple.

Knock off Apple by.....
using numbers for their software versions.

Didn't Android stopped doing numbered versions because they were behind iOS and they didn't want people to think they were "outdated"?

They've always technically had numbers. Cupcake was 1.5, Donut was 1.6. Eclair was 2.0. They did eventually move away from naming point releases and only named major numbered releases.

Pie was Android 9, so they're not just calling it 10 to match Windows or whatever. It's actually the next number.

Deapite what Google says, I'm convinced the lack of good Q name options at least played a factor in moving away from the names.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Don't even need to invent a new dessert when one of the best desserts out there starts with a Q:

Quindim.jpg

(It's Quindim)
Wellllll....this is half the problem. Android is used by billions the world over, but billions don't know what quindim is. It's confusing for a global product to be 'localized'. Looks delicious though.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I miss the desserts but totally get it. Even as someone who has followed Android for a decade+, or as long as it's been around, I Got confused about what releases were what.

Google's explanation that Android is a much more global operating system today than it was 5 and 10 years ago, so naming releases after very Western-centric things can be confusing for diverse, international users, makes sense.

No, they've always had numbers, but development teams nicknamed each release after a dessert as a fun internal thing that became well known and then part of the public convention. Android always took a more conventional approach to release numbers as well... using dot/minor releases, and bug fix/revision release numbers... Like Froyo, which was released to a lot of fanfare, was a dot release... 2.2, despite being the fifth major release.

Last edited:

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Is Q the tenth letter in the alphabet?

Why is it trendy to misnumber your tech product?

In terms of version numbers, Android Q is version 10.0 of Android(Pie was 9.0, Oreo 8.0, Nougat 7.0 etc.). It's not a case of Apple skipping 9 in their iPhone numbering.

Last edited:

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I understand but also dislike this change, because I like dessert.

I also disliked when Apple stopped naming their OS after cats.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
That sea green android next to the new typeface feels off, and that entire logo reveal video was ridiculously obtuse for the sake of nothing at all. Android 10 is hilarious, especially when you consider most of the Chinese OEM skins are all on their own ver. 10s.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Thank god for that. The dessert names only made android look childish and not to be taken seriously as an operating system. Android 10 much better and more professional. The dessert names always felt like using some kind of a fisher price phone :)

Last edited:

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
I stopped reading at the second paragraph. Did The Verge hire a bunch of people from Pitchfork or something?

As for the news... That's fine.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Takes a while but eventually everyone copies Apple.

It's just too bad that they are 3 versions behind at this point. They need to really kick it into high gear if they ever hope of catching up.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
This is fine.

It was Pie because it was whole.

Now it's ready to go into the oven for 10 minutes.

Bring on 10!

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
What is it with tech companies and the number 10?

Suuuuure...
Q is not even the 10th letter in the alphabet.

It's actually version 10 of Android. If I go to About Phone and look at the Android version on my Pixel 3XL right now (I'm still on Pie) it's says "9".

They've always had numbers on their versions, even if they gave them "fun" names also. The reason they're on P already is that they used to give point releases names, also. 1.5 was Cupcake, 1.6 was Donut, 2.1 was Froyo.

Takes a while but eventually everyone copies Apple.

It's just too bad that they are 3 versions behind at this point. They need to really kick it into high gear if they ever hope of catching up.

Not sure if it's sarcasm or not, because it's sadly believable that people would suggest that using a number based software versioning system is copying Apple.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
lmao @ 'copying Apple' people

Got any other ideas for a chronological iteration system?

Windows 1.0 was also copying Apple.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
It's actually version 10 of Android. If I go to About Phone and look at the Android version on my Pixel 3XL right now (I'm still on Pie) it's says "9".

They've always had numbers on their versions, even if they gave them "fun" names also. The reason they're on P already is that they used to give point releases names, also. 1.5 was Cupcake, 1.6 was Donut, 2.1 was Froyo.

Not sure if it's sarcasm or not, because it's sadly believable that people would suggest that using a number based software versioning system is copying Apple.

I'm clearly joking.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the one with AV1 codec support? I've wanted to check it out for awhile, see if it's as good as its hyped to be