• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
The WWE does deserve to be taken to the cleaners by the IRS and Department of Labor over their wild misclassification of their employees as "independent contractors." It's just a strange thing to hear from a politician.

Then again, the President of the United States is a WWE Hall of Famer...

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MuGYKfW.gif

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's fair. Wrestling is a big and highly visible industry regardless of its carny origins and sometimes insular workings. It should be treated like the business it is.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
the fact that yang is even bringing it up is a great thing. the exploitation of their labor has gone on long enough. and a bunch of them are brainwashed into going against their own self interests just to please a maniac in vince.

yang a smark??? does he sub to the observer too like khan did? lol

Oct 28, 2017
Vince McMahon needs to be taken down several pegs. His abuse of his workers has gone on for decades and needs to be stopped.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Just curious, does AEW treat its talent better than WWE?

For starters, AEW doesn't care if their wrestlers promote themselves on social media, and they've let their talent work in other promotions. So it seems that they do in those regards at least.

Good for Yang. I hope he follows through with it, because Vince should've been locked up long ago with the amount of cover ups he's had.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
1. Secretary of Labor Andrew Yang on an anti-WWE crusade would be the first step in making 2021 even wilder than 2020

2. The absolute fury on leftwing Twitter it Yang were made Secretary of Labor would burn down the internet

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Dammit, already mentioned but fuck it.

"The name on the door of Secretary of Labor does say Yang on it but it's says Jimmy Wang Yang".

tenor.gif

Yes, I know his real last name is Yun.

Hope Andrew Yang gets picked and he does go after WWE for their "independent contractor" bullshit.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
It's not really an issue dear to me personally, but there are worse things that politicians fight for

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Watch this be the way Trump finally talks about Yang because Vince calls him about this.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
It's not really an issue dear to me personally, but there are worse things that politicians fight for
It sets a precedent. If they can successfully hit WWE with it, then ridesharing and delivery service companies can get hit, likewise other companies that utilize loopholes, like gaming companies using testers and then firing them before they've been around long enough to be regular employees, only to then hire them back to reset the clock.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
The sad thing is that the independent contractor thing in wrestling has been going on for so long and so many wrestlers have tried to fight it.

From Jesse Ventura forward there has always been an attempt to unionize wrestling since the 80s.

The problem is that the indy promotions can't exist with a wrestling union, and the large feds will just fire you if you try to form them.

It creates an unfortunate situation where collective bargaining actually detrimental to your future career. Which is probably why so many workers are against it.

Let's say your just spent 2-4 years in a wrestling school. Spending somewhere between $600-$3000 for that training depending on the school.

Your next task is to get experience working for an Indy promotion. If the next thing you did was join the Wrestler Union, that indy promotion doesn't exist.

So then you go to the TNAs, the MLWs, the NWAs, the AEW's and the Lucha Undergrounds.

And you have a similar problem. While they will be willing to sign you they will want you to keep everything very low impact. Because they can't afford to have you break your neck, your arm, your leg. So you can't do the high impact, innovative things that gets workers noticed.

Then the WWE. With a union in place, where they are paying health care and retirement. They take no risks on in ring work. We are literally back to the carney days of in ring work. No top rope moves, no high flying, no harsh submissions. Nothing that can make the WWE liable for injury.

I am a huge proponent of wrestlers being treated better than independent contractors.

But there are a lot of hurdles to it and a lot of things that will have to change about the business if we do it.

Number one of them being that the WWE cannot be allowed to be the promotion who sets these rules.

Oct 26, 2017
Not a wrestling fan but I have heard about the awful working conditions at WWE, it's a niche issue but should be resolved.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Probably due to the Twitch stuff and she launched her onlyfans just recently too probably thought they wouldn't care or dodged them. She probably refused to take down either or give them a cut. She'll be fine just streaming and doing ads on insta for a while.