• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
Whoa, that's a shockingly bad and idiotic take.

like, I've always liked Yang but that's enough to nearly completely change my mind on him

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Andrew Yang getting a ton of flack on Asian Twitter and IG based on my feeds. Rightfully so.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
IgtZdK6.jpg

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just to expand, my boss is Korean American. When COVID first got bad in China in January/February, he was saying that Chinese university students in the US needed to be forcibly quarantined against their will regardless of their exposure to the virus. Then once it broke out here, and the spike in anti-Asian sentiment rose, he and his wife started talking about how horrible that was. And you know what? They are right, it is horrible and I empathize with them. But they were fine doing it themselves when it was against Chinese people specifically...until it started to become risky for them. There is some lack of self-awareness going on there.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
God most people of voting age lived through 9/11 how did we forget what the aftermath of that was so quickly

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God most people of voting age lived through 9/11 how did we forget what the aftermath of that was so quickly
It's a charitable interpretation of this Op-Ed that Yang 'forgot' about that; rather, this seems way more like a Leopard's Eating Faces Party/"I never thought they'd eat MY face" situation.

See also: Andy Ngo's...existence...

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
this

This is basically what the Arab/Muslims/South Asians faced after 9/11. being "more" American doesn't do anything
Basically. I grew up in North America, speak with an American accent, and dress pretty western. I was in college when 9/11 happened. Nothing I did stopped white people giving me the stink eye as I walked to class. The palpable anger in their eyes was fucking terrifying. I was lucky to have a large group of friends that weren't morons.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uh, not sure that's the best example to be invoking
Given the context, yeah it's really not.

People forget that the LA Riots happened not only because of Rodney King, but also because Soon Ja Du shot 9th grader Latasha Harlins in the back of the head as she was running away from her and she was given a $500 fine and probation.

The Korean Americans on the rooftops were...preparing to shoot black people.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Yeah, not a fan of the "being more American"-approach. It's also probably the reason why Asian-Americans are rather bad at being bilingual in my experience.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just to expand, my boss is Korean American. When COVID first got bad in China in January/February, he was saying that Chinese university students in the US needed to be forcibly quarantined against their will regardless of their exposure to the virus. Then once it broke out here, and the spike in anti-Asian sentiment rose, he and his wife started talking about how horrible that was. And you know what? They are right, it is horrible and I empathize with them. But they were fine doing it themselves when it was against Chinese people specifically...until it started to become risky for them. There is some lack of self-awareness going on there.

Chinese as ethnicity (but i guess the Asian in general) can be quite elitist and classist (since racist would not be the correct term there).
In China big city they look down on rural people.
In Hong kong and Singapore there is quite a bit of discrimination against Chinese coming from China or the nearby country.

I'm sure stuff it's improving, it just take some time.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chinese as ethnicity (but i guess the Asian in general) can be quite elitist and classist (since racist would not be the correct term there).
In Hong kong and Singapore there is quite a bit of discrimination against Chinese coming from China or the nearby country.

Racist is the right term when referring to hatred of specific ethnic groups. Which is what my post was referencing. But yes it's an entire cycle, Anti-Chinese sentiment is rampant in Japan, anti-japanese sentiment is rampant in Korea, anti-Korean sentiment is rampant in China, and around and around it goes. And that's not even getting into what all these cultures think of southeast asians (and vice versa).

Racism exists in every single culture in the entire world. And I'm talking systemic, powerful, destructive racism. It is everywhere

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017

Eh, Korean -> Chinese -> Japanese are like the racism trifecta in East Asia lol. All three are racist towards each other.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Racist is the right term when referring to hatred of specific ethnic groups. Which is what my post was referencing. But yes it's an entire cycle, Anti-Chinese sentiment is rampant in Japan, anti-japanese sentiment is rampant in Korea, anti-Korean sentiment is rampant in China, and around and around it goes. And that's not even getting into what all these cultures think of southeast asians (and vice versa).

Racism exists in every single culture in the entire world. And I'm talking systemic, powerful, destructive racism. It is everywhere

I was more referring the discrimination inside the Chinese ethnicity itself. Like the rich black family looking down on other blacks coming from a different background.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
This is some Booker T Washington "Make ourselves indispensable to the White race" shit.

It doesn't work.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Well that's just awful. But he is a smart guy, what makes him think that way? He knows exactly how different kinds of people would react to this.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but there is a much more obvious example than what you gave: the Uighurs

Probably my world were not clear, was meaning Han Chinese and it's diaspora, so racism it would be not the correct term (as you would need to hate your own race) classism would be better.

Uighurs are Chinese Citizen, but not Han Chinese, so in that case racism would fit better, but honestly i never been in the area, so i don't know the general sentiment between the ethnicity there. My guess not good given the news.

Last edited:

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sounds like the writing of a guy who thought a $1000/month freedom dividend would be better than medicare for all

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the rah rah American push here, but boy does he not understand America.

If you're not white, you're not right. You're always on the precipice of being considered a problem. That's the American mantra.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
This Uncle Tong again.

As someone who is half Chinese, I'm interested in this topic. I recently read an interesting book called the The Color of Success: Asian Americans and the Origins of the Model Minority. Asians in the 40s tried the all American assimilation thing but white supremacy still didn't give a fuck.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
My Asian American friends were not happy with this take to say the least.

"The cure for racism is to embrace model minority status" is silly on its face because dude ran for president and still isn't too big to catch a slur in public. The cure for racism is education and exposure.

Dec 31, 2017
Same old shit that has been said before. He's a smart guy and obviously he has his lived experience and viewpoint, but I'm not sure I agree with it.

Rings similar to "Muslims should show that they are true Americans and not terrorists!"

sonder

Banned
Mar 18, 2020
Nah I'm good. I tried that for like the first half of my life - just keep your head down and be that good productive chink. Used to volunteer at the food bank, help tutor kids. Got nothing for it but racial abuse. Now I don't give a shit about helping anyone.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Imagine having to prove your loyalty to your country because of your non-white ethnicity. Then again, the west has a history of putting its own citizens in internment camps because of their ethnicity because a country where that ethnicity is the majority acted in a belligerent manner.

Of course, lest it be forgotten, Irish and Italians got fucked over as well in the US for different reasons that ended with similar kinds of discrimination. Nowadays however, I'd reckon no one who is white and either they or their past family emigrated from EU/Russia/Aus/NZ/SA etc to US would be victims of racist attacks because of a pandemic which originated in their "heritage" country.

It is a very ill judged comment from Andrew that reinforces the need to be part of the "model minority" collective to be seen as equal to the white americans.