• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
what you mean

like 2% of the reason this thread is ongoing is people hating on Andrew Yang

people going back and forth on whether there is anything amusing, offensive, or even the slightest bit worth discussing about the tweet is the driving force here

honestly, there being a strong consensus on Yang sucking would be great, but I do not get the impression at all that such a consensus exists
Most folks don't have much feeling about Yang other then hearing about his UBI stance during his Presidential run. Otherwise, unless you are in NYC (or really, really interested), people wouldn't know his stances on most topics.

Personally I liked some of his ideas initially, but then he really kind of started digging in the wrong direction, IMO, but I guess we shall see if he actually wins the nomination.

That tweet in particular though wasn't anything special. It's surprising that people think that he should prioritize a dog over his kid who developed allergies, which can be very severe (I am allergic to cats and its rough even with Benadryl). People can have some major issues from that.

DemyxC

Dec 3, 2020
People really don't get optics. You can do the right thing in the wrong way and get treated worse than if you did the wrong thing in an understandable way. The tweet ultimately isn't a big deal to me, but the tone was definitely off. The tweet might actually be the perfect representation of who yang is now that I think about it more.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
HIS KID IS ALLERGIC. Allergies are not an inconvenience, it's literally hinders living.

but fuck the kid and keep the dog, amirite?
It's actually amazing that people can't grasp that a parent would rather rehome their pet than have their child constantly be dealing with allergies.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
crazy cat ladies aint got nothing on the newest breed of dog fanatics; the keep-the-dog-toss-your-kid-gang

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I know multiple people who developed pet allergies over time who did not give up their pets—they just deal with it or take bennadryl.

that being said I get it's a thing and I think it's understandable but like. Lol how out of touch do you have to be to post this on national pet day. Just stop tweeting bro.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Taking a self-congratulatory victory lap to celebrate the pet he abandoned is such a Silicon Valley VC thing to do.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
People really don't get optics. You can do the right thing in the wrong way and get treated worse than if you did the wrong thing in an understandable way. The tweet ultimately isn't a big deal to me, but the tone was definitely off. The tweet might actually be the perfect representation of who yang is now that I think about it more.

If the optics seem to be only considered bad to people who already dislike a person, and to everyone else it seems fine, then maybe the optics aren't bad. Maybe people just dislike Yang for other reasons.

Alcander

Oct 29, 2017
Whoever said this was giving them michael scott vibes is 100% correct. This could easily be a camera interview segment quote.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
Some of you are borderline psychopath, you really need to have some kind of obsession to find controversy over this innocuous tweet.

So it's National Pet Day in the US (as an non US resident I didn't know it was thing) and he made a tweet reminiscing the dog which he loved, but he had to rehome because his kid became allergic to it. Even the hashtag sounds just like a lame dad joke.

That's it, nothing more.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
haha hilarious...

Also, giving the dog to another family who is going to care for him, isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Seems fine to me, he's posting about missing his dog that he had to part ways with because his kid was allergic. He misses the dog, remembering the dog on this pet day thing. Is pet day about only certain pet related appreciations? No space to remember and mention pets you no longer see?

ChunkyChowder

Oct 25, 2017
It's a typical dumbass tweet from Yang but the replies to it are even worse. The hell is wrong with some dog owners?

Rᴏb

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
NYC
Just read the tweet.
We must make Yang explain the very fucked up thing we just pretended he said.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm American and this is the first time I'm hearing anything about National Pet Day. I had two dogs one belonging to my grandmother which I spent a lot of time around. Now, because of Andrew Yang I know 4/11 is National Pet Day.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love this site. Generally very logical but occasionally pulls out a boomer father perspective with just make the allergic child live with a dog, the kid's probably faking it anyway.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
What a stupid and bizarre thread... I don't get it. Nothing yang did was wrong in the least. Bitches eating crackers is right.

If this was something substantive on policy or if he made an actual social mistake it's understandable to get on him about it. But 1) giving away a pet for the sake of his kid isn't wrong. 2 )posting about said pet on twitter isn't wrong either because since when is twitter all serious business now? Get a grip.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Inappropriate Commentary; Drive-By Trolling; Prior Bans for the Same
...Y'all do realize that depending on the severity of the allergy, some pets can trigger Anaphylactic Shock, right? Y'all do realize that can kill you, right? Did any of you actually read the tweet? He pretty clearly didn't want to have to rehome the dog, he's still attached to him, but he couldn't keep him. This wasn't a matter of irresponsibly getting a dog he couldn't support and then getting rid of the dog - Shit changed in the years after.

Bitch Eating Crackers.
ok and? the child could be removed from the premises. this isn't hard

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Era never misses a chance to mock a bitch for eating crackers, jumps their pet shark on national pets day.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of that thread of the person being evicted for having pets in their apartment when it was specified they are to not have any.

maybe the wording can be better but this seems like mountains out of molehills

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
Rehoming a pet because of a child that has an allergy (especially if it's severe) is sad but understandable. My dog is a member of my family full stop, but I'm not going to lie to myself and say that my child is not more important.

However bragging about rehoming a dog and the hashtags is just so bad it's funny and sad at the same time.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
It almost feels intentional. Like, an anti-politician approach? But in the wrong direction. It might work though - his inauthenticity feels genuine, as paradoxical at that sounds.

I think I agree with this. Politicians are always trying to be relatable. People jumping down your throat for something pretty harmless you posted on social media is the most relatable thing ever these days.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
The "dog culture" has become really weird in the past 2 decades. I've often heard people saying that someone not liking dogs couldn't be a good person.

The best is when people say that they would save their dog before a strangers child from death and have no regrets. Just mind boggling. These types of people scare the shit out of me.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
I'm not American so I had no idea about Yang or this pet day. After reading this thread I'm unsure if Era really really loves dogs or really really hates Yang.

Oct 31, 2017
It's an understandable reason for giving a pet away but he could've just not tweeted this. It's like if a straight person tweeted "had a gay friend in high school, but parted ways when we got into different colleges. Hope he's doing well! #HappyPrideMonth"

Edit: oh my god I just saw the follow up tweet with him ignoring the dog. Yes that's not what he was doing before and after I'm sure but it's just obviously NOT a good look lmaooo

Last edited:

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
Should've posted photos of the new owners and reminded people that pets are a huge responsibility instead of making it seem like "lol oh well Grizz, sorry buddy."

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I mean I'm glad he was able to find the dog a home instead of dropping it off at a shelter but what a weird thing to post with the hashtag.