• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Liyfda

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who dislikes horror movies & horror games, excluding survival horror, I found Until Dawn to be absolutely fantastic. I'm really hoping Supermassive really nails it with Man of Medan!

PS I dislike them because I get scared easily, haha.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I haven't been able to finish Alien Isolation because of the feeling of dread that it creates. The motion sensor does something to me that neither RE7 or Until Dawn was able to do.

Even the androids scare me. When they're being friendly I'm terrified they're going to turn at any time.

The sensor is brilliant because it alerts you to where the alien is, but simultaneously scares the shit out of you because you are scared to know where he is.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
289819-until-dawn-chris.gif

I wouldn't really consider Until Dawn scary, it's more a thriller with horror elements sprinkled throughout.

It's not an out and out horror game like say Alien Isolation and even some respects, RE7 during the early sections of the game.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I remember most folks, including me, had low expectations of this game because The Order: 1886 was still fresh in everyone's mind. But it ended up really exceeding a lot of people's expectations, which was nice.

That said, it's definitely a better comedy than it is horror. I love Until Dawn, but it's not especially scary. It is fucking hilarious though.

ron_bato

Oct 25, 2017
My 2015 game of the year. I had those moments in the game, where I did the stupid shit we all yell at these characters for doing. It was awesome, and definitely the most fun I've had playing a horror game.

It happened as I was leading Ashley in the tunnels, I heard Jessica's voice call out for help (at least I thought it was). Went down a different path, got my head sliced off lol.

Mouth agape from the shock death, I began mouthing my own horror movie rules to myself. Never. Separate. From. The. Group

I play UD once every year, and try to get more people into it. Definitely one of my favorite games this gen, and I hope Man of Medan delivers.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Yes true Until Dawn was a really fun horror game. And I'm not even such a fan of horror movies.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
One of?

No.

It's the best (real) horror game by a huge margin.

And the reason for that is that it knows how to do pacing, and that characters need growth and have many moments of levity.

Here's how every single horror games is paced:
You are a space marine/mechanic, you enter a ship. 5 minutes later something terrible happens. Game continues to bludgeon you over the head with jump scares, monsters and horror stylings for 25 hours straight. Any other character is there to be eaten, you don't undergo any significant growth outside of XP.

In Until Dawn, nothing really happens until almost halfway in. Sure people get separated, someone gets kidnapped, there's a spooky atmosphere and all the while the characters continue to develop. Then some scary stuff happens. Then it stops again as characters regroup, there's some fun to be had, then the scary escalates. Two hours later the game is over. Inhale, exhale. In other games it's just inhaling until you get tired and quit ten hours before the end.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Absolutely agree, incredible game. Shame they couldn't use Sony's engine for their next game, as Until Dawn looked great.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
It scared me for sure for a lot of the game ( i am weak)...

The supernatural thing though... gosh... i wish it were not there :(
It became disconnected with reality so much that i noped out of immersion of "it's a playable slasher flick", and then most of the effect was lost.
But horror, nha, not in a world with silent hill.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I remember most folks, including me, had low expectations of this game because The Order: 1886 was still fresh in everyone's mind. But it ended up really exceeding a lot of people's expectations, which was nice.
This is painfully true. I always say the worst thing about The Order 1886 is that it clearly had a chilling effect on Sony marketing for Bloodborne and Until Dawn.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

That said, it's definitely a better comedy than it is horror. I love Until Dawn, but it's not especially scary. It is fucking hilarious though.

Some of the dialogue is just... chefkiss.jpg!!

tumblr_nvme94g3Qi1u5vyfyo9_r1_250.gif

tumblr_nv9y9g7rUV1slvquwo1_400.gif

SilkyHonoredBarbet-size_restricted.gif

Bonus gif,

giphy.gif

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Until Dawn certainly wasn't scary as far as I'm concerned, as it was obviously very goofy and full of horror cliches (like most modern horror movies) - although I'm not saying that's a bad thing. It was actually quite a refreshing setting for a horror videogame, which have surprisingly rarely gone in to the 'group of annoying teens in a cabin in the woods' sub-genre in such accurate fashion.

What it was however, was tense. Because your choices did matter, and if someone died it was a direct result of those choices. So it was the tension and responsibility, rather than scare factor, that made the game stand out for me. The only issue was I couldn't care too much about the characters - and in a horror movie that's obviously by design. They are annoying self-centred teens so you don't mind so much when they get killed off in some gruesome manner. But in a videogame where your choices need to matter, it is more of an issue.

But in terms of horror, for me it's atmosphere rather than jump-scares that stands out for me, primarily because I get more immersed. And that's why I have to agree with other who cite games like Alien Isolation as being more 'scary'. But that's not to say Until Dawn didn't have lots of tension, because it did. It's also a vastly underrated game that didn't get the attention it deserved at release, but luckily many got to experience it when it was free with Plus.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I think it did what it set out to do. It felt like a borderline parody of cheesy American teen horror movies and I think it delivered in terms of writing and atmosphere within that premise. Some nice twists and turns and I was always intrigued to see where the story would go. The plot actually got interesting towards the end.

Would love to see them do something similar one day. It's a unique game. It's a shame the prequel, The Inpatient, was such an uninteresting slog full of questionable game design. Rush of Blood was absolutely incredible but it's a short rail shooter spin-off which barely feels related to the Until Dawn universe.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
What? Absolutely not. It's basically the I know what you did last summer of horror video games.
The tech side can be impressive at times though, except the weird off lip sync problem.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
If you're into the "Scream" and "I Know What You Did Last Summer " style of slasher films, yeah I can see it. I found the deaths too goofy to be scary. It was fun to play play with my sisters who love that stuff, each one of us playing a character until they either died, or a new character came up.

Personally, I found Alien: Isolation with the VR mod is easily the scariest game I have ever played, and it isn't even close.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
It was very fun... but has perhaps the worst storyline ever lmao. Just a complete clusterfuck of horror tropes, its awful. SOMA is the best horror game ever imo, no competition.
This is my take on it as well. Good game, shit writing and characters. It's basically a teen slasher movie as a game, and I liked it, but that's in spite of its film influences, not because of it.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Agree game was awesome and in my top horror games. RE games have never been scary, except RE1 and 7. This and Alien Isolation gave me that tension and dread.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
it is definitely the greatest game of its kind (QTE choice based adventure game ala Quantic Dream/Telltale titles) that's for sure.

Also, a great party game...

especially when drunk.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't think it was scary at all, mostly because you pretty much need to play with other people to have any sort of enjoyment out of it.
Excellent game when you do, however.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
It was decent but not even remotely scary. Losing characters in these types of games doesn't add tension to me. Just an exercise in making the correct choice.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
All the choices and having people die as a consequence is really good from what I've seen. I didn't think the acting or writing was that great but it kind of lends to the slasher flick settings.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
It isn't the least bit scary, but it sure is a delightful ride, with lots of obvious love for horror cinema.

It's probably my most replayed game of the gen. I hardly play a game more than once or twice, even when I really love them, but I must've played Until Dawn a dozen times trying to get a perfect run and seeing what all could happen.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Love love loved it and yes it's one of the scariest games ever made, and fun as hell to play. Glad over time it's getting its due recognition.

trappedinsap

Jul 26, 2019
Here's a real Hot Take: I'm a huge fan of horror, be it games, books, movies, TV, you name it. However, I played Until Dawn all the way through and found it trite, boring, and not scary in the least. Just me I guess...

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I didn't care for it for the same reason why I don't care for these types of movies. But if you're into those teen horror flicks, then hooo boy this game is for you.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I've been stanning for Until Dawn for years... 😭

The only game in this vein I ever liked was Until Dawn, and I absolutely adored Until Dawn. It's one of my favorite games ever.

Since then, I've explored lots of alternatives and tried to find another game that offers me a similar experience in the same caliber. QD's other offerings were all too melodramatic and nonsensical for me to get invested in, but this looks really good to me. I think this might be the follow-up I've been waiting for. I'm cautiously optimistic and I have liked it more every trailer.

Until Dawn, which I believe should be a system seller. The game outsold expectations but has not seen a proper follow up and has not had a lasting presence in the gaming community. The game is still missing a chapter in the US that was forcibly made GameStop preorder exclusive, too.

Until Dawn deserves much better. It feels like a generational gem that's going to get lost and disappear due to licensing or contracts something. I expect it to show up on "Best Games You Never Played" in the next decade as people hunt down physical copies to play on old hardware.

Really hope this is a proper follow up to Until Dawn. Until Dawn is an absolute treasure. Peerless within its genre. I've been disappointed we haven't had another smash success like that since.

It feels so much like its time is past and its audience will never grow. They still haven't released the Road Not Taken in the US, which is part of the game they removed for a GameStop preorder. It's so obviously missing from the base game. Matt and Emily are the only pair of characters that are missing a chapter in the beginning for character building.

Until Dawn is always the best it will ever be the first time you experience it, and no other game has been as successful as Until Dawn, so my first time playing it remains an unmatched gaming experience. The game outsold expectations and was really big for like two months and then it just fell off the map and was never heard from again. I was so sure we were going to get a bunch of anthological horror stories using the same game system but none of the follow ups have come anywhere close. :\

The cast is so good, too.

Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was supposed to be a comedy satirising the old teen horror flick tropes. Scariest part are the facial performances. Sometimes I genuinely thought the faces were bugged, but I guess the actors just went completely overboard emoting like they were doing some facial exercises.

Best part was shooting that squirrel and discovering that the Devs actually went to the trouble to model and texture a gory half exploded squirrel. Now that is quality.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Fun game but the framerate sucks and I wanted it to play with genre tropes more rather than just recycle them.

Also feel like it was too long given how slavishly it regurgitated tropes. 3-4 shorter stories in an anthology may have been better.

Was a blast playing with friends where we passed the controller though