• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is one of those things where the power is SO high, and they are both targeting the same price range using essentially the same hardware minus some small tweaks here and there, that at the end of the day any difference between them is going to be moot.

DF: If we zoom in 20000% percent onto that tree 8 miles away, we can see the PS5 looks slightly better.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Early developer rumors are not to be trusted this upcoming console generation.
Fully expect MS to deliver the most powerful console ever conceived.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
This engine on PS5... Jesus

niKU6h8.gif
Yup. It's kinda crazy when we think about what they might be able to do with PS5-level hardware when they're already doing this on PS4/Pro. Can't wait to see the sequel.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

This game had one of the better LoD systems for foliage. Unfortunately, it does not fare as well when it comes to more solid objects. Hopefully, its successor will see significant improvements in this department.

I disagree, Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn and especially God of War were very unique in terms of art style and experience. It's just different from what Nintendo offers. It would be boring if everyone would offer the same.

They are fairly in realistic side of the spectrum here compared to aforementioned Nintendo's offering. And yea it would be boring but the point is, like another user mentioned, a grand total of one game in AAA space (Gravity Rush 1 was originally a Vita title) that skews heavily towards stylized that is also not the typical cell shaded anime stuff. A- and AA- development is where most of the stylized aesthetics have been adopted and utilized heavily.

I am simply having a hard time understanding why there is not one game in the AAA space, this gen, on XB1 and PS4, that embody the art aesthetic of PoP 2008. Styles like those do not age and work astonishingly well with increased resolution.

The comparative lack of power for Nintendo necessitated for art aesthetics that will be timeless. Heck, even today, Super Mario Galaxy games and Skyward Sword look good and would look phenomenal at higher resolution (which I think has been done with emulators).

Last edited:

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
User warned: console warring
I'm Cerny we trust.

The scenes and meltdowns when the Ps5 is the stronger console will be fun.

Syranth

Oct 28, 2017
Specs are great and all but they mean fuck all if the user experience is absolute trash.

I would hope that Microsoft don't have another Xbox One fiasco where the UI runs like dog shit and the games can't even hit standard performance targets.

I would hope that Sony doesn't continue their dog shit UI as well.

A Gamer Can Dream
Seriously the UI of almost every system this generation (including Switch) seems like everyone is starting out like a new foal. Born and wobbling around with almost no growth past it. At least Microsoft tried some remakes but I've never felt it hit where it needed to be.

Sony as my main console - I'm looking at your media page you hot garbage. Let me get to Netflix quickly!

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Even a year before manufacturing begins?
Yes. Silicon takes years to design, build, test, fix, and get yields to a good spot. Whatever silicon is in these boxes has been locked down hard for months, and was probably 'design finished' over a year ago.

Think of it like software. You dont add new features to Beta. Now multiply that be 100x because this is hardware that cannot be changed.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know if we should put over importance in one console being more powerful than the other. For power to be a factor, it's going to have to be more than a marginal difference. It wasn't the Playstation 4 being more powerful than the Xbox One alone that defined this generation. Not only was the Playstation 4 significantly more powerful than the Xbox One, but the latter was under powered given the point in time the console released. Furthermore, the Xbox one was overpriced in comparison. So we had a situation where consumers could get vastly superior third party experiences for cheaper.

But it wasn't just power and price point that were a factor. The Playstation 4 also had a beefy First Party development ecosystem behind it. Microsoft in comparison had significantly reduced its internal capabilities via studio closures and a consistently tightening of the purse strings. The Playstation 3 was able to fight through the previous generation thanks to strong first party support, allowing them to compensate for 3rd party exclusives that Microsoft had garnered on the back of their success with the 360 that generation. With the Xbox One Microsoft had a pitiful first party presence, so the fact that they had weaker 3rd party to boot only exacerbated the situation.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that marginal power difference alone isn't going to mean much next generation. It's going to have to be a significant power difference separating the two, and even then, there's going to have to be factors outside of that to truly result in a notable impact.

Benjamin1981

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony will ship a more powerful box but compromise on build quality and the cooling system again. They are cheap.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Why do we need next gen again?
Can you imagine if some of these devs decided that instead of adding even more amazing look hair/hair dynamics/hair anti-aliasing super occlusion and ray tracing under-highlights to all the HAIR ... we had like 100+ characters on screen at once? All looking this ridiculously good looking???

the dream.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
How much power difference could there even be ultimately? Aren't both utilizing the same generation of AMD CPU and GPU hardware? I haven't really been paying super close attention since PC has become my preferred platform.
It'll probably be like a 10% difference or less. Enough to make a small fps difference, or a slightly steadier dynamic resolution. Ultimately it's not really why the majority buy hardware, even the enthusiast audience. It will be the software and price. Everything else is just window dressing, barring a complete disaster in a particular aspect of the hardware/system design.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
FWIW, this E3 showed me that they have some of the best art aesthetics in their games. Link's Awakening (LA) looked absolutely delectable. Current gen consoles already have phenomenal computational power in comparison and yet art styles like the one in LA, Daemon X Machina and BoTW remain unseen in the AAA spectrum.
Don't forget Luigi's Mansion 3. That game looks phenomenal.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Can you imagine if some of these devs decided that instead of adding even more amazing look hair/hair dynamics/hair anti-aliasing super occlusion and ray tracing under-highlights to all the HAIR ... we had like 100+ characters on screen at once? All looking this ridiculously good looking???

the dream.
All I am imagining is 1 generation worth of dev time. I don't want to see Sony studios reduced to 1 game/ gen, and I would sacrifice graphics for that.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As time goes on and returns diminish, I think these spec differences will matter less and less. Plus Microsoft seems to be shifting away from console first to games first, so having the most powerful console on the block matters less when you can play on a pc that will shit on consoles anywayz

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Next gen = much more dev time

I'd rather get games like Horizon with 2-3 year dev time than games that take 6 years to make

That's just the reality of game development as better hardware allows for bigger and more complex games.

And as great as Horizon was, that short dev time really shows in some respects. The amount of interactivity you have with NPCs and inside towns is pretty basic compared to games with longer dev times.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Why do we need next gen again?
To run that at 60fps with no pop-ups, longer draw distance, ray tracing, and super fast loadings. It won't be about resolution anymore.

If this is true, couldn't Microsoft just bump their specs up? I mean we must be at least 13 months away from manufacturing...
They can and they certainly will overclock their APU IMO. They could make it stronger than PS5 that way. It depends how bad they want it: How much money are they willing to spend on additionnal cooling ?

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Gonna come down to specs and price. If they're the same price and PS5 has the better specs it should run away with it. But if the PS5 were somehow $100 more, then who knows.

Oh man, we're so close to system wars again!!!

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
As time goes on and returns diminish, I think these spec differences will matter less and less. Plus Microsoft seems to be shifting away from console first to games first, so having the most powerful console on the block matters less when you can play on a pc that will shit on consoles anywayz

Like Digital Foundry's 750ti build that soon got forgotten about LUL

What PC, Who's PC, Everyones is different. We need a common denominator PC when the new consoles come.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one who wants their specs to be almost the exact same?

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly, I don't even care about which console is more powerful. I think they will be so close in power that you will need a magnifying glass and DF to tell you the difference. The differentiating factor between both consoles will be exclusive games, services, and maybe price if they are priced differently.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna come down to specs and price. If they're the same price and PS5 has the better specs it should run away with it. But if the PS5 were somehow $100 more, then who knows.

Oh man, we're so close to system wars again!!!

It is completely unfathomable to me that Sony would let their console be more expensive next gen. At worst, they'll match the price.

Again, the way PSN sales have panned out for them, there's no reason they can't take an L on the price to start if it means getting the system into more households.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Next gen = much more dev time

I'd rather get games like Horizon with 2-3 year dev time than games that take 6 years to make

You bet. Every new gen with newer hardware and tech requires longer devoelopment time. Companies that used to launch 3-4 games during same PS3 gen barely managed to do 2 or even one game this gen. Expect tougher work for them for next-gben eventhough power will be enough.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one who wants their specs to be almost the exact same?

I am expecting this to be the case. A few last minute adjustments and they'll end up within spitting distance of each other. I'm also expecting MS to take the power lead, but that's based on nothing but their PR/messaging about power.

I'll be getting the PS5 first either way, so if it's got the power lead - even better.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, no disrespect. Sorry if it did sound like that. I just wanted to say that there were rumours (also discussed here) that Sony had the next gen AMD APU exclusivity because they co developped it with AMD.

All I wanted to say is that there were rumours that Sony would be stronger because of the cooperation with AMD.

After e3 we know that MS at least is using Navi too.
I don't understand what that rumor has to do with this since the source is different anyway?

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am not putting any faith in Dev kits. We will see when we have the official specs.

That said I always go with the console that performs better with multiplats (which is why my X gets all my play time and Pro gathers dust) since they make up 99% of the games I play. However the Xbox ecosystem might just be enough to keep me from jumping on ps5 right at launch even if it is more powerful. Crazy how things change. The Xbox ecosystem was the last thing I wanted to be apart of just 6 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.