• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
They go up every Friday, with the first being Jesus Christ Superstar! They last for 48 hours after having been posted.

Here's him talking about it:

And here's Jesus Christ, starring Sporty Spice!:

Youtube videos don't usually like to actually work when embedded here, so you might have to click through.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
if andrew lloyd webber musicals are playing in my house then i need to get out of my house

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao this thread has me dying already.
Not a fan of musicals at all but nice gesture.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I halfway expected this to be Paul F. Tompkins doing a bit. But neat nonetheless
ClutteredShowyJoey-size_restricted.gif

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
The only thing I've seen or heard of this version of JSC before was Tim Minchin. Giving Jesus a scarf to wear is a true heel move. Gonna be easier than ever to root for Judas.

Bit disappointed modern interpretations of the musical still haven't gotten over the street protest aesthetic, but I will watch the whole thing anyway, of course.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
They did Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat last week. Watched it, sang along. No regrets.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Gethsemane is a great song, but it can be ruined by a poor singer. It's the best thing from JCS though, outside of the weird campy angel disco bits and Jesus-troop orgy dancing.

Oct 27, 2017
This is cool. From his popular output Phantom is the only show I liked but I think this is an awesome way to entertain fans and gain new ones alike.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Nice of him if you're into that.

On a side note, do we have a "free quarantine stuff" thread? People are being generous but it's difficult to keep track.

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
This is actually the second show they've premiered on the channel. The first one aired last Friday - the 1999 rendition of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

www.youtube.com

'Any Dream Will Do' Donny Osmond | Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

Donny Osmond sings the hit song 'Any Dream Will Do' as he portrays the title character, preluded by the Prologue performed by Maria Friedman.From 'Joseph and...

Looking forward to this one.

Last edited:

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
Thanks for posting this. Jesus Christ Superstar is my favorite show, and I've never seen this particular recording.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Nope fuck Barron Lloyd-Webber. Flies in to vote in the house of lords to fuck the poor but hey here's some art I guess.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Jesus Christ Superstar is way less charming without the 70s aesthetic. Goddamn. This rendition is so needlessly edgy.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any good modern Judas portrayals I should check out? The few I've seen (can't remember which ones) are lacking in both the vocals and the interpretation. :/

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
Hey this is pretty cool. I know that not everyone will love the choices (not a huge fan of all of them either lol) but I will take any excuse to watch Jesus Christ Superstar. Thank you for the heads up!

Apr 11, 2020
Are there any good modern Judas portrayals I should check out? The few I've seen (can't remember which ones) are lacking in both the vocals and the interpretation. :/

Drew Sarich's portrayal in the 2005 Amstetten production comes to mind. Over the years, I have constantly found it captivating. Like a wild animal, you don't know what he's going to do next. In his Judas, which Drew effortlessly pulls off, I see someone immediately relatable, very intelligent, analytical, cunning, and willing to do what it takes to save his fellow man from themself. Each of his line readings is that - a new line reading; the next thing necessary to capture Jesus' attention because the previous line wasn't a hard enough blow. But what I find most interesting about this particular performance (based on the line-readings, stage direction, and performances) is that right from the start, his countenance to Jesus is almost as if it's Jesus' own inner-monologue that he is already praying steadily on in his silence, until of course, Gethsamane, where Jesus has really come to partially adopt the paradigm that Judas eschews, and finally externalizes that he too doesn't know if it's worth it anymore.

What I love about his performance in 'Everything's Alright', is that he recognizes from the events of 'Strange Thing Mystifying' that appealing to Jesus on a personal level is simply not enough, so he brings the rest of the disciple group into the conflict and attempts to needle a thread of doubt within the group of disciples and appeal to their conscious awareness, after Jesus has already aired that he doubts their fidelity. I find this more effective than Judas simply honing in and consulting Jesus again (IMO, this becomes a weakness of storytelling in a lot of productions of JCS that attempt to contain all of the drama between Jesus/Judas/Mary, thus missing a critical point in the dramaturgy) because it continues to organically build motivation for Judas to finally confront Caiaphas and the Pharisees, now that we see even appealing to the disciples has been unsuccessful (at least until we see them come undone at 'The Last Supper'). Also huge props to Kudra Owens who plays Mary in the Amstetten production. She absolutely nails what she's going for.

However, there is one caveat about Drew Sarich playing Judas that I am always bummed out about, and it's in pedestaling Drew's mastery of his craft (acting and vocals) in the role and being totally spoiled, it is much more difficult to cast a Jesus opposite him that I can appreciate, giving that I expect an as commanding performance that is worthy of his Judas' mirror. That is until you hear Drew as Jesus...

Drew is featured on a couple of official album releases as Jesus, the first of which is the 2005 Vienna concert cast recorded from Etablissement Ronacher, though with its rock elements, takes a more orchestral musical theatre approach to the material. The second recording is the 2011 Vienna concert cast, otherwise known as the 'Jesus Christ Superstar - Gesamtaufnahme Live' album which leans heavier into rock band musical arrangements that absolutely peak in the most magnificent way in Gethsamane. If you look up that particular album for that one song alone (I'm not a big fan of the album so much as I am the Etablissement Ronacher recording), then it is worth it. You can probably find them on Spotify (at least in the Australian stream you can).
What really stands out to me about Drew's characterization of Jesus is just how charismatic and assertive he is. With this lens, it becomes more relatable as to why this man held people's attention and amassed over 50,000 followers pretty much overnight. Even the most divine information needs to be presented on appealing terms to resonate, and goes hand in hand with Judas' assertation that Jesus' branding has begun to overshadow his message.

In Gethsemane, Drew again really shines in his craft, giving a motivation to every new line reading, taking the audience along with him in the journey as the drama escalates, and he confronts his reality in every new moment. What it does is it really illuminates you to the urgency, and psychosis that Jesus is experiencing as he faces his mortality and life choices (that storytelling is also backed up by the musical arrangements), potentially opening you up to the question of whether he made the choice to surrender in sound mind or not.

Last edited:

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
This was my first time seeing Phantom and the music was excellent. I'll be humming it all week.

The story was some straight up nonsense though. It's basically Captain Incel: The Musical.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
Having seen the live show back in 93 (though honestly a lot of it was lost on 6th graders) and listened to the original cast recording enough to have memorized most of the songs, I am curious as to why they change up the words as they do. I'm not saying they're bad or anything, just different enough to notice. Is it just to make them flow better or something?