• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I won't lie, I met the dev in person, saw early versions of the title at various indie workspace events, and saw the promo art as it developed over time. All of it seemed polished. It also felt incredibly indulgent and not particularly self-aware. Even just from some of the key art, I was getting distinctly bad vibes. Unfortunately, those vibes were precisely along these lines. What a waste of talent. The personal judgement involved even being associated with some of the other guests on that podcast is just "scream-into-infinity" bad.

I can't say I wish him well, in terms of his development efforts. This response to such a wide range of people criticizing the same issues in his work tells you pretty much everything you need to know. There's always the chance for personal growth, but you can't do that by lashing out against valid criticisms, and surrounding yourself with similarly vile people who just enable you.

Oct 29, 2017
Wonder if any of the platform holders will be brave enough to ban his game now that we know that it has overt alt-right propaganda in it...

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is such a bummer, the original trailers for YIIK pretty much checked all the boxes for me aesthetically and conceptually. Then it actually came out, and oof. Now this Dick Masterson red pill stuff? Fuck off.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Trolling; inflammatory generalisations and a history of similar behaviour
Another lynch mob by Era. This gets really old now. Don't you guys have something better to do?

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't you have anything better to do than defend a dude who consorts with misogynists and white supremacists?
I don't even know the guy and what he stands for(neither do you) , but I'm just saying that Era should not always get their pitch forks ready, regardless who that targeted person may be.

You can always critize someones behaviors but do it in a respectful manner.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I've never been madder about looking like this game's protagonist. Seriously.

IMG_0495.jpg

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
God I regret buying this shit off of the art style and concept. This dude is a prick and jesus that "chad" ending made me wince.

Oct 25, 2017
ah yes the paragon of artistic merit known as "YIIK"

how could anyone not appreciate a game with writing like this that rivals the likes of dostoyevsky and kafka

Ga0Caqe.jpg
Kill. Me.

Is this supposed to pass for a joke? Are these people allergic to being funny or something? The only "joke" here is "lol look how silly black people are when they complain about white people using the n word, har har!" and if you think that is a funny joke then fuck you.

I don't even know the guy and what he stands for(neither do you) , but I'm just saying that Era should not always get their pitch forks ready, regardless who that targeted person may be.

Woop woop it's the tone police every get down this is a raid. I don't give a shit what he stands for, his work speaks loud and clear. Fuck him and fuck his game. I have zero interest in being respectful to anyone who disrespects my integrity as a human being in the first place.

You preaching respect and tolerance is also very amusing considering your sole contribution to this thread is shitting on the legitimate concerns of other posters. How about you learn some respect first and then you can point your finger all you want, yeah?

As for this game and "character growth + choices" meaning that games are art feels like a bunch of people played Deus Ex for the first time, completely missed the entire point and went "heeeeey, I can make a choose your own adventure game about my own life but instead of using it as a platform for introspection I'll just use it to shield myself from criticism. Wow, I'm so smart! pleasedontsaymeanthingsaboutmeimactuallyagoodpersondeepinsidehelp"

Last edited:

fargodog

Banned
Feb 24, 2019
the fact that he said his name in the same breath as chuck palahniuk's is very telling to me

Yup. It's like he knows they're both technically postmodern authors and hey, his game is 'postmodern'! That must be a good namedrop!

Though honestly, nothing about the game gives me Palahniuk vibes either. All it reminds me of are when video game webcomics try and have 'serious' storylines.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah this game. No wonder this pretentious ass dude flipped his shit. The game is fucking terrible and the alt-right garbage is the least surprising thing to out of this.

Even more funny is this dude got fucking bodied by literally everyone in the beginning, not just on ERA.

Another lynch mob by Era. This gets really old now. Don't you guys have something better to do?
Haha, this is great too. Please tell me more about this site doesn't tolerate alt-right shitheads. Lul.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Making excuses for white nationalists/misogynists. I expected better of you

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Man, what a journey this game's been through. The surface-level style of it looked cool in screenshots and trailers, but that player character always came off obnoxious, but once it released and seeing what DNAbro had to say about it and the videos that have popped up... I'm glad I didn't get it. I can get why he'd feel bitter what with a lot of people dunking on it, but I don't think that's quite the message to take away from the reception.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
haha I love how he's made himself the main character in his own game, and then everyone is like "this character is a prick" and he can't handle it.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kill. Me.

Is this supposed to pass for a joke? Are these people allergic to being funny or something? The only "joke" here is "lol look how silly black people are when they complain about white people using the n word, har har!" and if you think that is a funny joke then fuck you.

p"

I don't think it's particularly funny but I'd say the joke is more along the lines of making fun of "White people are oppressed too!" types and how some will say, try to make Cracker out to be as bad as the n-word.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering the context I highly doubt that...

What is the context? It's the asshole main character acting like an asshole. You're not meant to be on his side.

Again, I don't think it's a particularly good joke (or game), but I've seen that type of joke before, and it is 99 percent of the time making fun of the person saying it.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Out of context, I can sort of agree with the sentiment. I believe that games should be able to tackle difficult subjects in uncomfortable ways, make players feel uneasy about their actions. I think that's a powerful tool, but of course, it can be abused.

However, the context does seem to be rather damning.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Whoa the art style looks so rad. It's a shame about his quote, but I'd still be willing to play through his game if I could eventually get past his childish and selfish viewpoint on game creation.

I greatly disliked all the characters in PT Anderson's 'The Master,' I wasn't a fan of the film, but it's still high art.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Out of context, I can sort of agree with the sentiment. I believe that games should be able to tackle difficult subjects in uncomfortable ways, make players feel uneasy about their actions. I think that's a powerful tool, but of course, it can be abused.

However, the context does seem to be rather damning.
Silent Hill does this, except Heather and Harry, all the protags (except Travis (Origins)) are pretty much dirtbags and the game are meant for you to dislike them as the games progress, the growth comes from the player.

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Just watched the trailer. I wonder how the characters would have been received if there was no voice acting. Usually turned off by angsty characters and it certainly doesn't help to have an obnoxious sounding voice actor bellowing sarcasm for the duration of the game.

Oct 25, 2017
What is the context? It's the asshole main character acting like an asshole. You're not meant to be on his side.

Again, I don't think it's a particularly good joke (or game), but I've seen that type of joke before, and it is 99 percent of the time making fun of the person saying it.
The context is the creator quite clearly endorsing alt-right ideas as has been shown in this thread.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From the small excerpts posted from the game and the clip from that podcast all I can say is yikes.

"Why don't people like me? I mean my game. Obviously I made a game about myself, I mean, about an unlikable character who has to transform but the gamers get triggered because games aren't art."

Maybe he could watch Game of Thrones (the earlier seasons) to see how to write unlikable or flawed characters or maybe he could try becoming a kinder person. For some reason I think that would improve his writing.

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
The ginger thing is just an unfunny version of Tim Minchin's joke which actually has a set-up/punchline.

To the topic at hand, this game is literally subtitled "A Post-Modern RPG" and is delivered with no irony and in an incredibly heavy handed way. Honestly, it's like someone read the Wikipedia entry for Post-Modernism, slightly misunderstood it, and then made a game.

Games like Journey and Nier Automata absolutely SCHOOL this game when it comes to post-modernism and are widely appreciated at an artistic level.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
How can this game not be art when it manages to both directly and indirectly comb new depths of stupidity?

We need to go deeper on the red-pill ending and see the madness to the end 👀

Oct 25, 2017

YIIK creator: "Games aren't art because no one liked my game, take the Redpill like in Osmosis Jones"

Dampflokfreund: "We don't know what he stands for"

Jader7777

Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Games aren't art.

They're better than art.

That said, 'gamers' are pretty air headed and stubborn when it comes to experimental stuff. A lot of the time mold breakers and innovations get brushed off as 'bad game design' or 'casual gimmicks' so I understand his frustration; but all this aside, some games have really pushed the medium forward with their interesting takes and you can't let a bunch of bad reviews get you down, just do your best to refine your ideas, eventually you'll find fans and maybe establish an entire genre.

Classic example:
iu.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Wait wait hold up

The podcaster is Dick Masterson? The guy who insulted women on Dr Phil years ago? He's back and a thing???

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
he seems like the kind of guy who, unprompted, introduces himself as a misunderstood artist and says he doesn't vote because it wouldn't really change anything when you first meet him.

then he recommends you Rick and morty and neutral milk hotel

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
...he comes off as even more of an asshole when you hear him actually say it, dude is literally shouting

My favorite bit is where he moans on about how gamers can't cope with palahniuk or murakami type storytelling in their games, two authors with very little in common except that for some reason gamer guys who want you to know they read always end up name-dropping them
Never mind that Murakami is left wing as hell and wouldn't come near the alt-right shits this guy hangs with.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was looking forward to this game when I saw it advertised on Playstation's twitter. Kinda forgot about it, and now everything I see of the game is about how trash it is. This guy is so up his own ass its funy.
I seriously can't take this dude's word seriously if he pushes this kind of content out, and expected consumers to resonate with it. You can't expect people to see your self insert character's progression in story if the game is hardly playable as is.

What in fresh hell IS this?

This is like watching a fake game in a kids TV show, only less comprehensible. Its almost like watching a youyubepoop.

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
wait... what??

dr phil's been worse than i thought

i just went back to the video and im
not even sure i would be allow to link it. just saying a bunch of ridiculous sexist and homophobic things on dr phil and then attacking one of the audience members that tries to call him out

now he's a known figure and podcaster making 5 figures a month to talk about this stuff. ok

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I feel bad for the random guy people keep saying is the YIIK developer

Edit: Oh he just posted in this thread lmao

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
i just went back to the video and im
not even sure i would be allow to link it. just saying a bunch of ridiculous sexist and homophobic things on dr phil and then attacking one of the audience members that tries to call him out

now he's a known figure and podcaster making 5 figures a month to talk about this stuff. ok
yeah, no need to link that garbage. i'm just shocked dr. phil would condone a guest like that, i guess.

thanks for the context.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
Have most reviewers really didn't like the game because of the main character?

I think that the interactivity of the medium really makes it harder to make a game with an unlikable main character, given that you have to put yourself in his place in a way. But that was done before dozens of times, so it's doable. In fact, the whole GTA series is based on having asshole characters!
Seems to me that the guy is just a bad writer.
It was certainly one of our complaints when we reviewed it. He's just insufferable, but so is the writing overall. If you're going to make an RPG, you'd think that'd be the first thing you want to nail.

Our biggest issue was actually the ending that treats it's players with more disrespect than I've maybe ever seen in a modern video game though.

Wait wait hold up

The podcaster is Dick Masterson? The guy who insulted women on Dr Phil years ago? He's back and a thing???
Wait. THAT guy!?!? The "All women are lesbians." guy!? He's around? How am I simultaneously surprised and completely not surprised that he has a steady online following and presence??

Last edited: