• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what Google was thinking. It was like launching a Netflix competing platform in 2019 with only 10 movies and you have to pay full price to view them. Image Apple TV Plus or HBO Max did something like that...

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
PSNow isn't as well supported with recent 3rd party games, performance is sketchy, no day 1 release, just works with Dual Shock, not available on phone/tablet etc.

It's obvious MS will provide 100% coverage with Gamepass by the time it launches or soon after, PSNow offering is not comparable next to Gamepass + XCloud, so it's not considered.

Sounds like you don't compare products. PS Now has the following:

- Legacy PS Games (PS2 Remastered, PS3 and PS4)
- Third Party Support is rock solid (hence the 700+ games)
- Games rarely leave the library
- I never had a performance issue (100 MB connection)
- Game can be downloaded on PS4 (hence performance issue)
- Is available on PC
- Remote Play on Android
- Doesn't require Plus to play
- Cheaper than Game Pass

Extras on Game Pass:

- Also offers some Legacy games
- Day 1 Games
- Cannot buy games on Discount
- PC Game Pass

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm definitely interested in Stadia but not in its current condition. They have a real advantage in linking in games with YouTube but really don't have any original content which makes it seems like a "me too" service with a lot less games. Both PlayStation and Xbox have a much stronger lineup as far as that is concerned. If Google starts buying up/creating new studios though then it could possibly be a formidable force. Hopefully for their sake they make it to that point.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Who cares about that when theres such a lackluster library tho?

Depends on your point of view I guess. I care more about the overall experience on key titles than having an endless backlog of games.

The proposition of being able to play Cyberpunk 2077 at top of the line PC specs without having to spend $600-$800 on my rig to upgrade it is absolutely interesting to me.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yes everyone, this service will strictly use xbox one s components until the end of time.

2020? xbox one s blades
2025? xbox one s blades
2040? xbox one s blades
2041? humans will be extinct, but still, xbox one s blades

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
yes everyone, this service will strictly use xbox one s components until the end of time.

2020? xbox one s blades
2025? xbox one s blades
2040? xbox one s blades
2041? humans will be extinct, but still, xbox one s blades

Of course there will be upgrades to the service if it continues to get supported, but this is a thread about comparing their current offerings, is it not?
If the entire point of this thread is to point at their current lineups and laugh at Google, is it not fair to point out how the hardware specs at this point also compare?

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Of course there will be upgrades to the service if it continues to get supported, but this is a thread about comparing their current offerings, is it not?
If the entire point of this thread is to point at their current lineups and laugh at Google, is it not fair to point out how the hardware specs at this point also compare?
Well, Stadia's out in a couple of days (for $$$), Xcloud's still running free beta. That's a fair difference isn't it?

The bigger issue is, and I've mentioned this before, streaming quality wise these services are likely going to catch up to each other pretty quickly (the ones that take it seriously). Stadia's advantage in that regard was always going to be a temporary one at best. Which comes back to, what really is of prime importance in the end, which is not '4K60FPS'. It's the games.
aaqKur8.png

Currently, they're losing out pretty big in that regard. Stadia should have, and continues to need to focus on it's strengths, which is building games that simply are not possible for a single PC or console to run. But they'll need to do that themselves. People are tripping if they expect third party devs to line up to build a unique game for Stadia which can never be sold anywhere else. It's too much of a risk, especially when there's still the risk MS or some other service could end up taking the game streaming crown at some point.

Last edited:

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Well, Stadia's out in a couple of days (for $$$), Xcloud's still running free beta. That's a fair difference isn't it?

Yes, that is a difference at least though I am not sure what point you are making.
Though if we are going to be nitpicky Google also ran a limited free beta, though with only one game! lol

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
honest question since it impossible to understand what stadia is launching with: will it launch with 4k support? is it launching in a way that a game on both services would look significantly different?

do you think google will out perform microsoft for a significant length of time?

are there launch games on that list that you think need that Best Experience that can only be found on stadia?

Last edited:

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
honest question since it impossible to understand what stadia is launching with: will it launch with 4k support? is it launching in a way that a game on both services would look significantly different?

I really don't understand what is so impossible to understand so these comments really confuse me.
I can't actually access most of the official pages thanks to it not releasing here in Japan yet, but...

I just grabbed this graphic from the Google Stadia Pro thread here on Resetera. This looks like official materials but who knows.

D_2bcXyU4AECmSE

That....seems really easy to understand to me.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I actually cancelled my stadia pre order last night after x019. It makes absolutely no sense after all the uncertainty etc.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
People also need to remember that Stadia is ONLY playable on WiFi right now, and only on Pixel and Chromecast ultra device.

So it's not even just about the game selection, with the Xcloud preview you get access to more games, on any Android phone, and without requiring WiFi........

The down side of course is that you can only play last-gen games on Xcloud and on Stadia you get to play all those next-gen games. /s
Uh, it's also playable on chrome browsers. That's literally every computer in the world. Mac, Linux, Windows. Xcloud has latency by the way. I've been playing it. I haven't even tried on my Tmo connection, but on my Gigabit FiOS connection, it worked well, but the latency was perceptible. I'll try on my mobile data tomorrow. Stop being such a fanboy.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Uh, it's also playable on chrome browsers. That's literally every computer in the world. Mac, Linux, Windows. Xcloud has latency by the way. I've been playing it. I haven't even tried on my Tmo connection, but on my Gigabit FiOS connection, it worked well, but the latency was perceptible. I'll try on my mobile data tomorrow. Stop being such a fanboy.
Latency I'm definitely curious about with Stadia. While you can play on more devices it'll only be 4K on the google chromecasts delivered with the preorder for now though. Not on PC's, and not on older Chromecast 4K's for now either

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand what is so impossible to understand so these comments really confuse me.
I can't actually access most of the official pages thanks to it not releasing here in Japan yet, but...

I just grabbed this graphic from the Google Stadia Pro thread here on Resetera. This looks like official materials but who knows.

D_2bcXyU4AECmSE

That....seems really easy to understand to me.
that picture helps, i tried to google but i'm still confused because that picture makes it seems it works on 4k everywhere but i'm reading it's only on chrome cast ultra? (not saying that disqualifies it)

also, not sure if you saw the rest of my post because i edited it, but you're betting on games with a significant difference showing up before microsoft upgrades their hardware? or is there something on that list now that catches your eye?

the hardware will be a cat and mouse game (hopefully rapidly), so i'm not sure it matters that much. the ecosystem and developers are going to be the deciding factor.

Deleted member 11182

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even though there's certainly a gap in quality, Google shouldn't be underestimated. The fact that MS had this showing a mere 5 days before Stadia's launch speaks volumes.

Deleted member 61326

Banned
Nov 12, 2019
huh, never paid much attention to this before, but with GamePass as well this will be perfect for the kids. Microsoft is really killing it, looks like a great time to be a gamer the coming years.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
that picture helps, i tried to google but i'm still confused because that picture makes it seems it works on 4k everywhere but i'm reading it's only on chrome cast ultra? (not saying that disqualifies it)

also, not sure if you saw the rest of my post because i edited it, but you're betting on games with a significant difference showing up before microsoft upgrades their hardware? or is there something on that list now that catches your eye?

I think they did move the goalposts a bit on 4k support right at launch, with plans to update for more support afterwards I believe.
Again, I can't use the service here so I am a bit out of the loop but that is my understanding.

I am not sure if Google will deliver true Stadia optimized experiences before MS upgrades their hardware, but one of the basic pillars of Stadia is also incremental upgrades,
so it's not too hard to believe they may try to disrupt the console gen mid cycle with the newest top of the line PC parts.

As far as something catching my eye? If the service were here in Japan I would be on immediately for RDR2. I had my issues with the game on PS4 but it really was a beautiful experience and I kinda wanna see it in full PC specs. Unfortunately, my current rig lags behind on recommended specs by a small margin.

Deleted member 61326

Banned
Nov 12, 2019
Even though there's certainly a gap in quality, Google shouldn't be underestimated. The fact that MS had this showing a mere 5 days before Stadia's launch speaks volumes.

Obviously no one is ignoring Google and definitely not Microsoft. The timing of this reveal is telling. But on paper the differences between the two are like night and day. I know it's a meme at this point, but I'm convinced Stadia will be completely forgotten (though technically available) by this time next year.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
I am not sure if Google will deliver true Stadia optimized experiences before MS upgrades their hardware, but one of the basic pillars of Stadia is also incremental upgrades,
so it's not too hard to believe they may try to disrupt the console gen mid cycle with the newest top of the line PC parts.
This biggest problem is *how* they're going to do that without upgrading their premium structure.

What are they going to do? Increase base to 4k and premium to 8k? I think they'll be lucky if there's enough people with an 8K who'd care for that by that point. Maybe base to 1440p and 4kFPS to 120 or something? I find it difficult to imagine an easy upgrade path for them, unless it comes down to reinforcing that yes, you'll be able to keep playing the newest games on those resolutions.

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they did move the goalposts a bit on 4k support right at launch, with plans to update for more support afterwards I believe.
Again, I can't use the service here so I am a bit out of the loop but that is my understanding.

As far as something catching my eye? If the service were here in Japan I would be on immediately for RDR2. I had my issues with the game on PS4 but it really was a beautiful experience and I kinda wanna see it in full PC specs. Unfortunately, my current rig lags behind on recommended specs by a small margin.
i see this strictly as a money problem and not a tech problem. and both companies have a lot of money.

fair enough @ rdr2

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I mean they did it themselves before this announcement. Hell, PSNow made it look even worse even before xcloud.
Exactly. PSNow is a very good value proposition. ESPECIALLY compared to what stadia is. I think anyone would be foolish to discount Sony in this streaming race. Xcloud seems very promising though!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing now though is that they need to get that Scarlett hardware in xCloud racks. You don't really want to be playing base Xbox One versions of games.

yep. Wonder how quickly they'll be able to do that (2021?). If they nail playing in a browser or windows 10 app (or ideally an Xbox 1 app) then I don't think I'll buy a Scarlett - just a game pass sub

they've been talking about it for so long though and still only preview and limited to android phones. They need to hurry up and at least get windows support and a wider rollout in 2020

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Also (I'm throwing it in here because if I made a thread it'd turn into a shot show) - I don't understand all the comments about xcloud and game pass being so much better than ps now. The real differentiation is the first party content on Xbox but otherwise PSNow has a larger catalog and already offers streaming.

its Not even people comparing and deciding they personally prefer game pass - ps now is barely even mentioned, like game pass and xcloud is the only service offering a catalog and (eventually) streaming.

just confuses me

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of amazing to think that just a few short years ago Microsoft got creamed for DRM and not allowing used game resale and forcing an always online connection and now everyone is like "Take all my munys Microsoft! Fuck Google!!!!"

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of amazing to think that just a few short years ago Microsoft got creamed for DRM and not allowing used game resale and forcing an always online connection and now everyone is like "Take all my munys Microsoft! Fuck Google!!!!"
xcloud doesn't have to convince customers to move to digital drm, this gen already did that.

Last edited:

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Complete and utter annihilation as of now. But this will push Google to improve their service so its a win-win at the end of the day.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I wanna get in the beta. Project stream worked great for me. Hopefully Azure is just as good and I can stream in 4K like Stadia. Ain't competition grand?

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that having recently spent 181 dollars for 3 full years of Xbox Game Pass ultimate, I don't even need to purchase a console to play Scalett launch games. I WILL, because I want to play them locally at the best quality, but it's INSANE that I don't need to. This is so great. That 'gaming is for everyone' strategy Microsoft is going for is starting to make a whole lot of sense to me.
Is this actually confirmed? The Ars Technica article I read earlier said Microsoft was being coy when asked about additional costs. So like you I also paid up for 3 years but am expecting a surcharge to be able to stream my games. I love that I don't need to pay for PS Plus in addition to PSNow to my play multiplayer games.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The sooner people start to realize that it's not all that great to stream games, the sooner we can all move on. Stadia's launch is going to be very interesting.

Amanita

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what Google was thinking. It was like launching a Netflix competing platform in 2019 with only 10 movies and you have to pay full price to view them. Image Apple TV Plus or HBO Max did something like that...
Google Stadia isn't the Netflix of Games. It was never meant to be. Google is launching the first next-gen console, except the console is in the cloud, so you skip the "Buy a $400 box" part and just start buying the games.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Google Stadia isn't the Netflix of Games. It was never meant to be. Google is launching the first next-gen console, except the console is in the cloud, so you skip the "Buy a $400 box" part and just start buying the games.
And their first next-gen title is... Gylt? What's the point of a next-gen console without next-gen games?

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
dont you still have to like, buy an xbox to play xcloud? then it's not comparable to stadia. plus stadia has an offering in 5 days, this doesnt. ds4 support doesnt mean anything to me...
C'mon my dude, there is a single giant image in the OP and the center focal point of it is an Xbox controller in front of a tablet and a phone.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The sooner people start to realize that it's not all that great to stream games, the sooner we can all move on. Stadia's launch is going to be very interesting.
Straming is going to stay. Google invested in it, MS did it, too, Sony is running it even for years now. It will only grow and people will subscribe to it in masses.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Straming is going to stay. Google invested in it, MS did it, too, Sony is running it even for years now. It will only grow and people will subscribe to it in masses.
I don't disagree with this, and I do think it's where we're going in the future, but it's quite possible that, for the moment, the most likely paths for it to remain are complementary, rather than exclusively cloud.