• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love it so much. Stadia was dead without this service but now its fucking DOA. And not only that theyre charging people to beta test it out for them on top of it all.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
To be fair, MS still hasn't made clear what percentage of the Game Pass library will be available via xCloud, or whether there'll be an extra cost on top of XGPU.

But yes, having cloud streaming as a complementary feature on a service that also allows you to download and play games locally, especially one that has an all-you-can-play model, is a much more attractive business model than what Google is offering.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Google: Look at the cool things we got for Stadi-UHHHNF
RrKFSc.gif

MS: MORE THAN 50 GAMES; DUAL SHOCK 4 SUPPORT; SHITTON OF PUBLISHERS; GAMEPASS INCLUDED!

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
That's how I hope they end up doing it, my only hesitation is looking at how slow they were to support PS4 and hopefully that won't be the case next time.

I believe PS5 will be integrated into PS Now much more quickly and smoothly than PS4 was.

First, they know they've got Microsoft and Google as potentially serious competitors in the streaming game market. This wasn't the case a few years ago, where they could coast along and take their sweet time to add features.

Second, they've now got years of experience running PS Now, so they know from a hardware design standpoint what's needed to make it work. While PS4's Remote Play and SharePlay features were created using some technology they acquired from Gaikai, the PS Now service still wasn't fully developed, and was centered around streaming PS3 games. PS5 is surely being designed from the get-go with an eye towards a more mature and robust PS Now.

While we're wistfully reminiscing about the early days of PS Now, one notable feature (that was quickly discontinued) was the ability to rent games through the service for a limited time. This means that Sony had laid the groundwork for some form of commerce within PS Now. In order to take this to the next level, Sony should expand this to permanent purchases (instead of rentals), and tie it into PlayStation Store so that other games and DLC could be purchased and then either downloaded or streamed.

Amanita

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tell me what I'm missing here. The fact that it ties into GamePass is cool. A library of bonus games. But compare the core services: xCloud is a service that lets you stream purchased games, with console graphics and framerate, to your phone or tablet, for a subscription fee. Google Stadia is a service that lets you stream purchased games, with high-end PC graphics and framerate, to any device, including your TV (the important one!), and no subscription required. You can stream the game you bought even if you're not subscribed. I'm so confused about why everyone thinks this was a slam dunk. And the white screen with all the publishers? Google did the same thing months ago. They even have Dualshock 4 support. So what's the big deal?

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Tell me what I'm missing here. The fact that it ties into GamePass is cool. A library of bonus games. But compare the core services: xCloud is a service that lets you stream purchased games, with console graphics and framerate, to your phone or tablet, for a subscription fee. Google Stadia is a service that lets you stream purchased games, with high-end PC graphics and framerate, to any device, including your TV (the important one!), and no subscription required. You can stream the game you bought even if you're not subscribed. I'm so confused about why everyone thinks this was a slam dunk. And the white screen with all the publishers? Google did the same thing months ago. They even have Dualshock 4 support. So what's the big deal?
Fanboyism

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Your one of the few people here that did actual research

adobot

Mar 19, 2019
I honestly expected Stadia to have a bigger launch. Literally 30% of their launch games are Tomb Raider games from the last 7 years. I hope they announce some new games soon.

xCloud obviously has the advantage of having a company that's been in the gaming industry for the last 20 years, but that's not excusing Google for having a piss poor library at launch. If you want to win, you have to be better, no excuses.

Bring on the stream wars!

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey

As I said earlier today, consumers' primary concern will be which service gives them the games that they want to play, at a price that they're willing to pay.

The selection of games and the pricing schemes are going to be huge differentiators for these streaming game services.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Anti-google herd mentality. I have no particular love for Google myself, but you are 100% correct. If, and this is a big IF, Stadia were ever to put out top-of-the-line looking games with computational power not offered by consoles, then it would be a whole new ballgame, but xcloud somehow showing up Stadia with today's announcement is nothing but anticipatory premature ejaculation... "I believe it, therefore it is true"... splat...

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Help me understand one thing: is it fair to compare XCloud to PSNow? How do those two fare against each other? Technically speaking, and with respect to content.
Sure, soon both will be running on Azure even, so the Twins are also game streaming twins too. PSNow falls real short on quality at the moment though, just 720p and the PS3 games are the PS3 versions, warts and all. It has significantly more games than otheer services at the moment though.

Jan 9, 2018
Everyone is killing stadia before it even gets a chance lol I'm all for more competiton and am gonna try it for myself . Heck might even play most games on it if they can get the best performance down

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not exactly a fair comparison. You have to build apps to natively work on Stadia. You already have the code for Xbox games. It's not like to stream games from my Steam Library, Valve is asking devs to work on a streaming version. It's hands off for them.
That's exactly why Stadia is more likely to fail and XCloud/PS Now are more likely to succeed.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

You basically covered it.

Just add in the fact that it's a hot take by someone who obviously has no idea how different the work required is for supporting a brand new streaming platform,
against just streaming already made Xbox One games on Xbox hardware in the cloud.

I do wonder what hardware the xcloud is running. Are you going to get 4k Xbox One X quality at least? I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
You basically covered it.

Just add in the fact that it's a hot take by someone who obviously has no idea how different the work required is for supporting a brand new streaming platform,
against just streaming already made Xbox One games on Xbox hardware in the cloud.

I do wonder what hardware the xcloud is running. Are you going to get 4k Xbox One X quality at least? I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere.

It's Xbox one S hardware.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
MS does have a ton of points in their favor with their built-in marketplace, I really am curious to see how they price it out and what kind of tech they have

Is it confirmed they will have XB1 blades in the servers after 1.0 launch? Seems counterproductive if true

They mentioned it being a part of gamepass. I assume that gamepass ultimate will contain everything or they would not have called it that. I think they will add another tier to gamepass. Called it gamepass Cloud that costs a bit more and gives you both the library AND the streaming capability. But that cost will be very close to the Ultimate price tag so they expect most consumers will pay the couple extra bucks a month in order to get gold as well. I alwasy felt that Gamepass Ult was a weird bundle since it doens't save you any money. But if they use streaming as a value add, it makes sense.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Honestly I kinda want Stadia to fail primarily because they don't offer an local option to play their games. Every game on PSNow can be played locally on your PS4 or PS3 etc, every game on xCloud can be played on PC/Xbox hardware. How the fuck am I going to play Gylt or Orcs Must Die 3 in Australia where Stadia won't launch for likely 5+ years? Or when the service goes down? If Google had a PC client in addition to their streaming service it'll be a millon times better.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anti-google herd mentality. I have no particular love for Google myself, but you are 100% correct. If, and this is a big IF, Stadia were ever to put out top-of-the-line looking games with computational power not offered by consoles, then it would be a whole new ballgame, but xcloud somehow showing up Stadia with today's announcement is nothing but anticipatory premature ejaculation... "I believe it, therefore it is true"... splat...
Do you not see the contradiction here?

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Honestly I kinda want Stadia to fail primarily because they don't offer an local option to play their games. Every game on PSNow can be played locally on your PS4 or PS3 etc, every game on xCloud can be played on PC/Xbox hardware. How the fuck am I going to play Gylt or Orcs Must Die 3 in Australia where Stadia won't launch for likely 5+ years? Or when the service goes down? If Google had a PC client in addition to their streaming service it'll be a millon times better.

While I understand this issue, it really doesn't make sense for the hardware agnostic approach they are taking.
If you have to add an asterisk saying you can play the games locally, only if you have a PC that supports each games minimum specs, then I feel like you muddy the messaging even more than it already is thanks to the misconception of what game 'streaming' means compared to other media.

As someone else not in their current launch territory, it does suck having to wait though!

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
While I understand this issue, it really doesn't make sense for the hardware agnostic approach they are taking.
If you have to add an asterisk saying you can play the games locally, only if you have a PC that supports each games minimum specs, then I feel like you muddy the messaging even more than it already is thanks to the misconception of what game 'streaming' means compared to other media.

As someone else not in their current launch territory, it does suck having to wait though!
Yeah, I definitely understand that. I still feel it's too early for a purely streaming gaming service though, even ignoring my location and whatnot. Growing something out of an established gaming company with local hardware options feels so much more organic and something I'd rather put my support behind.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA

All Google needs to do really is offer their own Gamepass style service, on top of what they offer now. That is it. The reasons I'm choosing xCloud over Stadia are Gamepass and local downloads. Those are big enough features for me that they overshadow any weaknesses the xCloud platform has. Google currently doesn't have options with their platform, it's just buying games for full-price and that's it.

I don't know of any other streaming service that has that as their primary business model.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Stadia is a brand new service with a limited selection, going up against xCloud which will have thousands of games ready to go and no reason why they wouldn't bump up the server blades to one x or scarlett level quality in the future. From that perspective it is far more tantalizing to me, especially with the ridiculous value that is GamePass.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why is that? Is there a good comparison out there somewhere? Is PS Now behind on a technical level?
That's a easy one.

Not on mobile devices.
Game content doesn't compare.
Doesn't work across PC, mobile tablet and console.
Oh, they don't have GamePass!

Yea, they two have a huge mountain to climb!

Last edited:

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you remember what PSNOW launched with?

IIRC is was around 200 games.

And will be gone in 3 months.

To be replaced by another set of top tier games, presumably. Bloodborne won't cycle out, though.

And an infinitely superior network behind it.

Yet to be seen. And Sony is planning to expand using the same Azure network, so...

Gears 5? The Outer Worlds? Halo 5? Forza Horizon 4? Are you kidding or just being a Sony fanboy?

None of those reach the heights of the games I cited.

6 cores might sufficient for next gen.

Even if it is 6 cores, the consoles should be nicely faster by being clocked higher, and not having memory contention issues with other instances to content with.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Ooh, xCloud with Gamepass. That sounds fun, for countries that have access to both. Really good offering from Microsoft.

People like me will probably be stuck waiting for when/if Steam decides to enter the fray though. It's no Gamepass, but it'd be at least affordable and come with a variety of usual Steam benefits.

Dlacy13g

Oct 27, 2017
California, USA
Xcloud announcements today are crushing to Stadia for sure. That said, Stadia has been so poorly executed it's actually making Onlive look like a viable service and it's dead! I still cannot believe they have only just begun this year with 1st party development, Most of the promises they gave are not ready at large including the most simplest things like a proper UI. If I didn't know better I would be thinking this was the Phantom console not something developed by a leading tech giant.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So basically you have these blades which allow the pooling of resources, and last I read, this is how they are doing Project xCloud.

So in each blade you have the components of the Xbox One S, which is fine.

The main question I have, and I would assume they are doing this, is leveraging those pooled resources to push the performance fidelity of these games to what you'd expect on a mid to high end pc.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

xCloud preview and immediate launch is with base One S units. By end next year, those get swapped out for Scarlett units, which should easily be a match for whatever hardware is in Stadia. Same with PS Now revamped, which will be running on PS5 hardware.
No meaningful computational advantage.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
All Google needs to do really is offer their own Gamepass style service, on top of what they offer now. That is it. The reasons I'm choosing xCloud over Stadia are Gamepass and local downloads. Those are big enough features for me that they overshadow any weaknesses the xCloud platform has. Google currently doesn't have options with their platform, it's just buying games for full-price and that's it.

I don't know of any other streaming service that has that as their primary business model.

While it is more akin to PS+ than Gamepass, Stadia Pro is planned to have free games added for subscribers....

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
That's a easy one.

Not on mobile devices.
Game content doesn't compare.
Doesn't work across PC, mobile tablet and console.
Oh, they don't have GamePass!

Yea, they two have a huge mountain to climb!
PSNOW is out now though. It works right NOW!!!! Lol
"Game content doesn't compare"? Lmao
You probably wanna check that out before claiming such a thing.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
xCloud preview and immediate launch is with base One S units. By end next year, those get swapped out for Scarlett units, which should easily be a match for whatever hardware is in Stadia. Same with PS Now revamped, which will be running on PS5 hardware.
No meaningful computational advantage.
Scarlett isn't running the future's games at 4K 60fps.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
While it is more akin to PS+ than Gamepass, Stadia Pro is planned to have free games added for subscribers....

That's certainly a step in the right direction, and I could easily throw down $10 for a month of gaming if the free* game that month interests me. I mean $10 is more than fair for a month's rental

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's certainly a step in the right direction, and I could easily throw down $10 for a month of gaming if the free* game that month interests me. I mean $10 is more than fair for a month's rental
But like thats another issue. For 10 dollars a month you can get gamepass. Is stadia gonna have a better sub library than gamepass? I doubt it.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
If I am understanding this correctly I can play whatever Xbox games are on the service without owning any Xbox device? I'm planning on buying PS5 next gen (own PS4) and I own a switch so I can essentially cover all my console bases next gen this way?