• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
This is gonna sound awkward but, ah, how do I make more baby apes? lol I haven't seen any since the one you rescue at the beginning, which I now...am? I think?

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
I just want to comment on this thread's great title choice. Always enjoy a classic Simpsons reference.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
This is gonna sound awkward but, ah, how do I make more baby apes? lol I haven't seen any since the one you rescue at the beginning, which I now...am? I think?

You gotta walk up to and "Groom" opposite sex apes. Hold the Groom down for a while - like 30-40 seconds. This will grow the bond. I tried switching between to make sure everyone's gettin' all the bugs out, but it doesn't seem to matter. Once the bond is done and if the female ape is "fertile", you go lie down and "call mate over". Once the two are together a "mate" option occurs. When that's done you can "give birth". This progresses the game forward 15 months and you get a little imp.

I tried mating two apes with one that wasn't fertile and didn't produce anything but it could be a dice-roll.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
If you have a partner, you can lie down and press B to shoo get rid of the babies you are carrying. After that, you can press B again to call over your partner and then hold B to mate with them. After a generational skip, the baby will be born. To build up your clan further you have to go out in the wild and look for monkeys who need your help to add them to your clan after helping them. ideally female monkeys so you can get more babies. You only get experience when backpacking babies.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Pregnant apes
According to the game's Help menu, pregnant apes are more powerful than others - more stamina and stuff. So it's worth maybe cruising around a bit with a bump and the little one on your back. A full pack lol

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I'm hearing the cue. For stripping grass, it's quite literally right after you hold the RB for the time it takes to register a button hold.

I was getting no cue at all. I finally figured out how to fix it, for some reason turning my audio to 16-bit 48khz solved it and I now hear the cue. I have no idea why I don't hear it at the normal 24-bit that I have it at (I hear all other in game sounds, just not the cue).

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know where Obsidian comes from? And do sources respawn? I broke all mine experimenting and just found out it's super critical to the early game

Deleted member 18179

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, a great anecdote:

I painstakingly set out to explore the starting area with a fellow ape. We saw amazing things together! We finally found a place where we could expand the map. Over a few days we made sleeping spots and built up a bank of food creating a true outpost. I hop up in a tree to celebrate and look at our hard work.... Which is when some kind of giant ass tiger comes out of NOWHERE and shreds my buddy. It went from our little Eden to a tiger infested death pit. I haven't been back :(

Oct 25, 2017
I am starting to warm up more to what this game is doing, but I have a *very* weird experience in the second segment, after evolving once.

Basically, there were no children, and when I tried to make more... the game just wasn't having it. Just when I felt like all was lost, things went from bad to worse and a bunch of animals showed up at my starter camp and killed basically everyone. I escaped with one female, but we were both bleeding and got swept away by a waterfall in the scuffle -- I grabbed a stick, shaved it down, and managed to
spike one of the creatures attacking us.

It wasn't enough, we all died ultimately. That being said, like I'm getting more competent with the horrendous controls / nature of the mechanics, and I'm feeling relatively confident now that if I start a new lineage I actually have a shot at this thing. I'll get back at it soon, as I've finished Control, but still need to finish Man of Medan and Blair Witch.

Hint: This game is a *lot* funnier when you have a friend watching you / commenting on it. I was just showing the game and figured out how to go from basically not much, to having constructed a few tools / harvesting food
: honey and fish
, etc.

Chaos17

Oct 27, 2017
France
I can't manage to craft anything beside a bed and a barricade. I was sad that I couldn't dismantle them.
I did discovered several rocks but nothing prompted me to be able to crush them.... The only thing I can do is to throw them lol
Also is it just me or do my clan doesn't eat if I don't eat myself or give them food?

The only thing that is disappointing me at the moment is that my clan has 0 social interaction, I don't feel that my clan is alive....

Edit : I finally found the "skill tree" lol Time to craft more!

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look right now and... I think I'm kinda into it? I'm thinking about grabbing it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I hope Dan Ryckert keeps playing this game so I can hear him talk about it.

Looks interesting, I'll definitely try it out at some point.

I, honestly, would love a Giant Bomb series where Dan, Vinny and Abbey played through it. The Quick Look was great and stupid in the best way!

Deleted member 18179

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you kill an enemy with a rock? I used 2 sharp sticks on the pig and then hit him with the rock 4 or 5 times and he was still alive.

Deleted member 18179

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, I did the "Mate" option and nothing happened. There was grunting and then it just went back to regular gameplay. Should something happen?

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
Also, I did the "Mate" option and nothing happened. There was grunting and then it just went back to regular gameplay. Should something happen?
Female has to be fertile, and from my experience they can only have 2 babies. edit: also after they mate the option changes to have baby

This game can become EXTREMELY hard if you are not prepared, but man it feels rewarding when you learn how things work and everything starts working out.

Also in case anybody doesn't know, you can actually skip cutscenes. Hold touchpad on ds4, tab on keyboard I believe

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Descriptions I've heard of this game on Giant Bomb and Waypoint make it sound amazing. Here's hoping those console ports turn out well!

BinaryForest

Mar 30, 2019
After playing for two hours last night my biggest tip is to read the "Help" menu in the options. Seems like a lot of the reviews and such talking about the game giving no direction completely skipped over that because it gives you a pretty decent breakdown on the mechanics of the game

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
For those of you who are playing how are the controls working out for you? I have been watching a few streams and one thing that seems to stick out to me is that the controls aren't very good, like it's a pain mechanically to try to do a lot of things.

Oct 25, 2017
For those of you who are playing how are the controls working out for you? I have been watching a few streams and one thing that seems to stick out to me is that the controls aren't very good, like it's a pain mechanically to try to do a lot of things.

This is kind of a design thing. Like, a lot of the evolution stuff is actually tied to how annoying it is to do certain things (like being able to switch an item to the other hand while moving is an actual upgrade). That being said, the controls are rather latency heavy, and inputs are given a real back seat to animations (which are also dense). It's not a particularly fun game to control in its best moments, and in the worst? Yikes.

In other observations: it seems like moving generations ahead rather than evolving is important. You're allowed to "lock" certain skills on the skill tree before you skip generations, and that makes life a lot nicer once you roll generations over.

I haven't had much luck with sex, so so far this game is just like real life. Jokes aside, seems like I am able to get one female pregnant of total of two times before they cannot bear children. You'd think that you'd be able to start gaining more than you lose, but I can never get more than one couple going at a time. Makes me a bit worried, since obviously as you move generations ahead, your older populations die.

I feel like I've done about everything I can do in the first area, but I'm still trying to get more neuronal energy accumulated so that when I do evolve I get to keep most of my unlocked skills. It's a bitch to get them.

I really, really wish you could save your lineage in different states. This game is actually worse than Dark Souls in some ways: shit can go so wrong, so fast...

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
So, yeah, I'm kinda finding the same thing about how lineage can go wrong.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have 2 baby apes riding around on me, but ever since I switched from our original base camp to a new one, the evolve option doesn't pop up when I lay on the ferns to sleep. Any thoughts on whats going on here? Do I need to go back to the original camp????

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
That does seem odd. There's no "dismantle" option that I saw for the beds... I haven't tried establishing a new spot, though.

I assume having two little ones on the back makes you tire out a lot faster when climbing, no? I noticed even with 1 that the rock-climbing is much more tiring. Or, I think I noticed?

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
That does seem odd. There's no "dismantle" option that I saw for the beds... I haven't tried establishing a new spot, though.

I assume having two little ones on the back makes you tire out a lot faster when climbing, no? I noticed even with 1 that the rock-climbing is much more tiring. Or, I think I noticed?

I don't think it wears you out any faster, but I can't say for sure. I know that I read being pregnant actually gives you more vitality and stamina lol

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
I don't think it wears you out any faster, but I can't say for sure. I know that I read being pregnant actually gives you more vitality and stamina lol
Yeah - maybe it was male vs. female? I coulda swore that just "hanging" on a rock surface didn't continuously drain me but it did when I had a bopper on my back. However, have not tested :)

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe I missed it, but is there like a climb down button? Exploring in the tree tops is so annoying when you are on a branch and simply want to climb DOWN but it doesn't let you and you have to jump off instead, or am I missing something? I know you can climb down the trunks of trees easily just by latching on to them and moving down, but like when you're on a branch that curves down, how do you climb downward instead of having to jump off???

Lastly, how do you tell your clan to stop following you after you use clan call and go back to hanging around camp instead of just "wait here?"

My whole camp feels robotic now because I used clan call and I can't get them to go back to just acting "normal" now since I told them to ""wait here" they literally are all just sitting still where I told them and aren't moving around the camp or doing anything.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
I haven't discovered a "climb down" - you gotta kinda awkwardly jump lol :\

If pals are following you, go to a bed thing and "End Expedition" - everyone kinda settles down. Make sure that no one is holding shit in their hands otherwise they can't drink haha.

Oct 25, 2017
So, is it true that "Elders" can go past that point where the screen normally would darken since it's the "furthest explored area"? I don't want to evolve yet, but I have run out of space to explore.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
From a design perspective, this game is by far the most interesting and original thing I've played this year and I've pretty much played everything. I'm fucking hooked and can't stop playing this damn game lol. That alter *CHING* sound is still stuck in my head lol.

Vincent4756

Oct 27, 2017
So what's the deal with the bottom right circle thing? I get it tracka your nuroen energy when you do stuff with a kid on your back, but everything else I cant figure out.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
So how is everyone liking the game? I'm watching GB's quick look (of course) and it looks..very interesting and pretty cool. I'm playing through Control and Astral Chain but am very tempted to pick this up lol.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I tried to go in blind, hardest difficulty without tips, etc., and didn't read anything about how the game works. Can't find my missing baby ape, and I fell off a cliff and died after 30 mins in. I also got mauled by a boar, so I've been bleeding out for 20 or so mins too. I'll give it another go in the morning.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
So what's the deal with the bottom right circle thing? I get it tracka your nuroen energy when you do stuff with a kid on your back, but everything else I cant figure out.
Dots to the left are adult apes in your clan. Dots on right are elder apes and bottom yellow dots are kids. If the dot has a yellowish glow on it then it means they have a genetic mutation. If one of the left dots has a yellow dot in them that means they are pregnant. If a dot is connected to the center by a line it means they are following you. If the dot is outside the circle it means they are away from your settlement.

Typing that out made me realize just how much info that little circle is.

Vincent4756

Oct 27, 2017
Dots to the left are adult apes in your clan. Dots on right are elder apes and bottom yellow dots are kids. If the dot has a yellowish glow on it then it means they have a genetic mutation. If one of the left dots has a yellow dot in them that means they are pregnant. If a dot is connected to the center by a line it means they are following you. If the dot is outside the circle it means they are away from your settlement.

Typing that out made me realize just how much info that little circle is.
Hey thanks for this. I sorta started to figure that out, but man it took me a couple times.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This is on sale on EGS at the moment. Down to £24. Thoughts? Anyone dropped off it and regret picking it up or... loving it?

I'm completely intrigued because it just looks so damn unique.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I just did my first evolution. I had a ton of things get counted. Like it ticked through like 25-30 accomplishments

At the end it said I had earned something like 24 perks.

Now I'm at a new camp at a new location. However, I have no idea what these perks are or how to use them.

What is up with that?

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
So, what's the consensus about this game?

The designer spent years and years making it and it seems it didn't leave behind many people playing it.