• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Sony is like Nintendo, focusing on their first party IP's, which sells consoles.

Last time I checked, that strategy is working.
Sony is not like Nintendo. Sony leans heavily on 3rd party support to sell consoles while Nintendo is the opposite.

There is a reason why Sony had to make that COD statement. They know it sells systems for them. Nintendo hasn't said a peep. They read the news and rolled over in bed to continue their nap.

Last edited:

CowboyAloy

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
United States
I meant to say buy not block. In other words the best we can hope is that no one attempts to buy SE because that is the only way we keep getting FF on PlayStation. If a bidding war starts then Sony will lose in the end. You have to follow the money after all.

jonasvutt

Jan 17, 2018
Can Sony somehow acquire MGS as a franchise from Konami?
You only start selling IPs if you are in financial trouble. Konami is doing really good right now with their baseball game series in Japan, they are scamming people with NFTs and they have Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel doing record numbers (270K concurrent players on Steam in the last 24 hours). They also have an Apple check to release a Castlevania exclusively on Apple Arcade, and those classic Castlevania ports have to be really cheap to make.

MGS is going nowhere. They will figure out a way to somehow bring back that franchise, either with remasters, remakes, spinoffs, etc.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Phil-Spencer-3-696x442.jpg
A few years ago, Phil Spencer was quoted in an interview as saying the following: "You'll have things like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild or Horizon Zero Dawn that'll come out, and they'll do really well, but they don't have the same impact that they used to have because the big service-based games are capturing such a large amount of the audience. Sony's first-party studios do a lot of these games, and they're good at them, but outside of that, it's difficult–they've become more rare…It's a difficult business decision for those teams, you're fighting into more headwind."

As I said before earlier in another post on Microsoft's ultimate aim beyond gaming, the industry from a business perspective has changed dramatically over the last decade. First-party games like Horizon, Last of Us and God of War may be the face of the PlayStation brand, but the most important IPs to Sony remains Fortnite, FIFA and Call of Duty; service-based games that draw in billions of additional digital revenue yearly.

You could argue therefore that while these studio acquisitions by Sony are there to support pre-existing IP (as support studios), and give their talented teams the flexibility to develop new IP, its difficult to judge their importance to the PlayStation business seeing as that Sony need an online-multiplayer IP to secure revenue. They have tried and failed so far (MAG, Killzone, Destruction All Stars).
What is this formatting magic??

Tony Montana

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be more surprised if Sony doesn't pick up a publisher. They could very realistically bolster their IP portfolio by picking up a publisher or two while continuing to acquire studios like they've been doing.

Oct 27, 2017
Sony is not like Nintendo. Sony leans heavily on 3rd party support to sell consoles while Nintendo is opposite.
Guess I hit a few nerves with my comment. But I still stand by it.

Every console has to rely on 3rd party games to help sell their consoles. But it's the first party games that distinguish the console than the other consoles. Sure, you're now seeing older Sony games on PC, you have all the Xbox games on PC as well. But I doubt you will see any Sony 1st party games on Xbox or Nintendo consoles (please don't say it's because the switch isn't powerful enough, that is not the point here).

To me, I find Sony's 1st party games a hell of a lot more intriguing for me than Microsoft's and i'm kinda kicking myself not buying a PS5 when I could at pre-order time.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
I meant to say buy not block. In other words the best we can hope is that no one attempts to buy SE because that is the only way we keep getting FF on PlayStation. If a bidding war starts then Sony will lose in the end. You have to follow the money after all.

Who is better positioned than Sony to buy SE right now according you?
Microsoft is hands tied for a good while because of antritust regulators.
NIntendo has not the financial power of the whole Sony group (like Sony doesn't have the financial power of MS) and doesn't even a have a case for trying to buy them, they never had great support from SE outside DQ and they can still be totally successful without them. There is not the business case to spend so many billions, they're not losing much compared to the current situation outside maybe a DQ game.
Other companies might step in like Tencent but Sony has an advantage in being a japanese company with a proven working relationship with the company they want to buy. A japanese management and the japanese government itself will always favour a japanese company over selling a big part of their gaming industry into foreign hands.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Not gonna lie, this is my big fear right now. People are gonna call me a reactionary or say I'm being hyperbolic, I'm sure, but if someone buys Square Enix away from PS, I will sell all my PS hardware that same day without a moment's hesitation. There is not a single thing Sony can do to make up for the permanent loss of the FF series for me. It would be the death of the entire platform in my mind.

Like I like Uncharted and all, but FF is my series and has been for basically my entire life. Nothing replaces that.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California

Every console has to rely on 3rd party games to help sell their consoles. But it's the first party games that distinguish the console than the other consoles. Sure, you're now seeing older Sony games on PC, you have all the Xbox games on PC as well. But I doubt you will see any Sony 1st party games on Xbox or Nintendo consoles (please don't say it's because the switch isn't powerful enough, that is not the point here).

To me, I find Sony's 1st party games a hell of a lot more intriguing for me than Microsoft's and i'm kinda kicking myself not buying a PS5 when I could at pre-order time.
Nah, I'm not a huge Nintendo fan. I like Sony games more, but I like MSFTs Game Pass strategy. I don't think you understand the magnitude of Nintendo's first party games. The have held all the top 20 spots in Japan for weeks.

In America and Europe IIRC, their first party games sell just as much as 3rd party multi console releases. Sony has games that can do that yes, but Nintendo is simply unmatched. This is on a single platform too.

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I'm not a huge Nintendo fan. I like Sony games more, but I like MSFTs Game Pass strategy. I don't think you understand the magnitude of Nintendo's first party games. The have held all the top 20 spots in Japan for weeks.

In America and Europe IIRC, their first party games sell just as must as 3rd party multi console releases. Sony has games that can do that yes, but Nintendo is simply unmatched.
Yup, of the three, Nintendo has the best 1st party games. Also, with you with your comment about liking Sony games more but like the MS game pass strategy. But if (or when) Sony adopts the game pass strategy on their consoles, that would be great.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv

You were just wrong. Nintendo produce games for relatively cheap, and their games are ever-green in terms of sales. Sony's games cost a lot more to make, and they generally don't sell as much. Sony, currently, cannot rely on their first party games to carry them in the same way Nintendo can...

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Sony did pretty well last gen without a single acquisition. Insomniac's acquisition came late and didn't have an impact on their PS4 output. Miles Morales more or less sold 90% on PS5.
So, they should just stay the course going forward with the acquisitions they made last year.

larryfox

Apr 27, 2020
I just don't see a scenario where if another publisher is looking to sale that Sony would win a bidding war against Microsoft, Google, Amazon or Apple. Since that's the only reason Microsoft was able to buy ABK or Zenimax.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sony did pretty well last gen without a single acquisition. Insomniac's acquisition came late and didn't have an impact on their PS4 output. Miles Morales more or less sold 90% on PS5.
So, they should just stay the course going forward with the acquisitions they made last year.

The problem is that the industry is rapidly changing and they can't keep acting like it isn't. Buying a bunch of nobody studios with no established IP while their competition is TAKING legendary IP away from them is not the way to go.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I just don't see a scenario where if another publisher is looking to sale that Sony would win a bidding war against Microsoft, Google, Amazon or Apple. Since that's the only reason Microsoft was able to buy ABK or Zenimax.

Microsoft are out of the race for the next ~18 months while the AB acquisition closes. As for the others, it would depend on whether any of them WANT to spend that much to buy into the console/PC market. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. Sony are already in that market and could view it as both a defensive move and an opportunistic expansion move to increase their IP portfolio which they might be able to utilize across their entire entertainment division.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
NIntendo has not the financial power of the whole Sony group (like Sony doesn't have the financial power of MS) and doesn't even a have a case for trying to buy them, they never had great support from SE outside DQ and they can still be totally successful without them. There is not the business case to spend so many billions, they're not losing much compared to the current situation outside maybe a DQ game.
Semi-off topic, but SE supported Nintendo more than just giving them Dragon Quest. They have been putting remasters of their older games such as Saga and Mana for the Switch, released Octopath Traveler(a game that is still absent on PS), and Bravely Default II, on that system first, we even have some upcoming as of now Switch exclusives releasing in March such as Triangle Strategy and Chocobo GP.

They were/still are arguably better at supporting Nintendo than even Capcom and Bandai Namco.

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo IPs are like Macguyver's knife. Nothing can go wrong with them as long as they have them.

Sony on the other hand is building towards this but they are not there yet. The reason they are expanding their IPs and turn PS into a "brand" is to get to that status but they are still not there yet.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
They are the market leader (usually defined by revenue size) because of their storefront bringing in money. Most of that money is from third party games.
They certainly aren't the market leader in terms of IP value or number of studios.

Take away COD, they will lose customers. But the consolidation won't stop there.

"Market leader" really only means so much when you're facing a competitor over ten times your size that can make purchases half your size.

Microsoft just absorbed a company nearly half as large as Sony. So by just looking at the current market landscape in terms of current reported revenues, that's ignoring a lot of other very relevant context. Especially with how markets can rapidly shift.
This post nails it. Also Sony is going for a multimedia push for acquisitions of companies that have strong IP's that cross over in multiple forms of entertainment, Capcom and SE fit that bill. Within the next two years, I fully expect at least one of them to be absorbed.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
The problem is that the industry is rapidly changing and they can't keep acting like it isn't. Buying a bunch of nobody studios with no established IP while their competition is TAKING legendary IP away from them is not the way to go.

Sony are exceptionally good at taking smaller studios and helping them grow to develop their own legendary IP. It doesn't have to be the total sum of their expansion plans, but we shouldn't discount that. Partnering with Deviation (former COD devs) and Firewalk (former Bungie devs) and Haven (former Stadia/Ubisoft devs) can give them a good shot at also developing new IP that has the potential to catch fire.

I've said it before, no one knew what a Fortnite was 5 years ago, no one knew what an Apex Legends was 3 years ago and no one knew what a Genshin Impact was 2 years ago. By no means will every MP attempt strike it big, but if they've got multiple big attempts in the works then they've got a shot of at least 1 striking it big. Especially now that they've got PC and mobile on their radar for expanding their IP.

At the same time maybe they will acquire some larger companies with already established IP, who knows. I'm just saying we shouldn't brush aside what they have been doing for growth because some of those projects could become monstrous money makers for them.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo IPs are like Macguyver's knife. Nothing can go wrong with them as long as they have them.

Sony on the other hand is building towards this but they are not there yet. The reason they are expanding their IPs and turn PS into a "brand" is to get to that status but they are still not there yet.

Yep. Nintendo is the Disney of gaming. Their IP's are born into our DNA at this point. Every kid knows Mario. Nobody can touch that and it's been proven over, what, 30 years?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sony are exceptionally good at taking smaller studios and helping them grow to develop their own legendary IP. It doesn't have to be the total sum of their expansion plans, but we shouldn't discount that. Partnering with Deviation (former COD devs) and Firewalk (former Bungie devs) and Haven (former Stadia/Ubisoft devs) can give them a good shot at also developing new IP that has the potential to catch fire.

I've said it before, no one knew what a Fortnite was 5 years ago, no one knew what an Apex Legends was 3 years ago and no one knew what a Genshin Impact was 2 years ago. By no means will every MP attempt strike it big, but if they've got multiple big attempts in the works then they've got a shot of at least 1 striking it big. Especially now that they've got PC and mobile on their radar for expanding their IP.

At the same time maybe they will acquire some larger companies with already established IP, who knows. I'm just saying we shouldn't brush aside what they have been doing for growth because some of those projects could become monstrous money makers for them.

It's all just too random. There's no way of knowing which of these studios will succeed and which will fail, and it will take YEARS to know. They don't have five or six years to see how many of their gambles pay off while Microsoft can just go "this is ours now" and irreversibly purge a huge chunk of their customers with a single check.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
And Square makes plenty of sense, particularly as a gold plate to Japan. Whether they DO or not, again, is another matter.

But that makes no sense. They already have the gold plate to Japan, and more importantly Japan is dominated by mobile and Switch.

And Square Enix is exactly the kind of studio where they need to buy them to make sure they KEEP getting the milk. All Microsoft has to do is buy Square and then FF and KH are gone from PS forever.

Japan isn't going to let a Western company come in and gobble up one of their biggest publishers, lol.

Take-Two is the competitive answer to Activision. You want Rockstar games? Buy a PS.

I think this is where people let personal feelings cloud their judgment. T2 just spent 12.7 bil on Zynga, almost their entire market cap. If that doesn't tell you their ambitions, I don't know what will. Thinking this is the answer for a tit-for-tat "retaliation" is kinda funny.

Secondly, exclusive Rockstar games that come out few and far in between is not a competitive answer to the entire suite of IPs, devs and release cadence of ActivisionBlizzard games. Especially considering Sony should want to prop up Spartacus as a true competitor.

Finally, Rockstar's biggest cash cow is GTA:O. Sony doesn't have the means to just absorb all the losses of lost microtransactions from a service that makes Rockstar billions and fundamentally changed the way they operate, just to play the "long game" that we know Microsoft are doing. And even in an alternate reality that they played that card, what's stopping Microsoft from retaliating and removing Warzone (which I still think will always be on PlayStation for similar reasons to GTA:O) from the competition?

For the reasons above, Capcom would be an infinitely better buy. Legacy titles, vast suite of IP, Spartacus, etc. Although good luck fighting Nintendo lawyers for Monster Hunter exclusivity. Not to mention, isn't Capcom owned by a father and son? Family owned companies don't regularly sell compared to the rest. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

CowboyAloy

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
United States
Not gonna lie, this is my big fear right now. People are gonna call me a reactionary or say I'm being hyperbolic, I'm sure, but if someone buys Square Enix away from PS, I will sell all my PS hardware that same day without a moment's hesitation. There is not a single thing Sony can do to make up for the permanent loss of the FF series for me. It would be the death of the entire platform in my mind.

Like I like Uncharted and all, but FF is my series and has been for basically my entire life. Nothing replaces that.

hey I hear you. It would be a huge loss and one I don't want to see happen either. A lot of my friends love the FF games and they've come to associate it with PS. It would be kill the brand in a lot of fans minds if it were to be taken away so I understand the concern. Not to sound too extreme myself but it would feel kind of like a sin in a way to take FF from PlayStation. Yeah yeah I get it it's just hardware but that relationship is just as close as Sony 1st party. The biggest games of that series came out on PlayStation after all.

fingers crossed for the fans that absolutely nothing but the current status quo happens to se.

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
They are the market leader (usually defined by revenue size) because of their storefront bringing in money. Most of that money is from third party games.
They certainly aren't the market leader in terms of IP value or number of studios.

Take away COD, they will lose customers. But the consolidation won't stop there.

"Market leader" really only means so much when you're facing a competitor over ten times your size that can make purchases half your size.

Microsoft just absorbed a company nearly half as large as Sony. So by just looking at the current market landscape in terms of current reported revenues, that's ignoring a lot of other very relevant context. Especially with how markets can rapidly shift.

Very good post. Phil Spencer saying that they will be in third place in terms of revenues after the deal is finished means nothing and it's highly manipulative statement. In those numbers are not included the losses for Sony and the revenues from Zenimax Media.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
hey I hear you. It would be a huge loss and one I don't want to see happen either. A lot of my friends love the FF games and they've come to associate it with PS. It would be kill the brand in a lot of fans minds if it were to be taken away so I understand the concern. Not to sound too extreme myself but it would feel kind of like a sin in a way to take FF from PlayStation. Yeah yeah I get it it's just hardware but that relationship is just as close as Sony 1st party. The biggest games of that series came out on PlayStation after all.

fingers crossed for the fans that absolutely nothing but the current status quo happens to se.

Yeah, at the end of the day I pivoted to Playstation hardware because of FF, but I kept buying Nintendo hardware because Nintendo's first party games are still special to me. I do not have that kind of relationship with Sony, especially now that Bloodborne is dead. If FF leaves Playstation, I don't have a single reason to stick around with them like I have with Nintendo. No amount of AAA Western action games will make up for FF's loss, and Sony has zero RPGs of their own to stem the bleeding.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, Nintendo wouldn't have say in that. They couldn't outspend Sony anyway.

They can't outspend Sony, but they CAN drive up the price to make multiple acquisitions unviable. And we can't discount publishers merging with other companies either.

Sony is not buying 2-3 publishers with only $10B or so. It's a much more complicated deal.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
It's all just too random. There's no way of knowing which of these studios will succeed and which will fail, and it will take YEARS to know. They don't have five or six years to see how many of their gambles pay off while Microsoft can just go "this is ours now" and irreversibly purge a huge chunk of their customers with a single check.

Which is why it's also fortunate that Sony's got an extremely popular slate of first party IP and amazing first party studios already that they're expanding. It's not like they're starting from scratch here, and their current lineup is more than strong enough to hold up while they grow their next wave of IP. Like I said, Sony very well may be planning on a big acquisition. The budget they've allocated for acquisitions, the comments by that Sony Pictures exec and the comments by their CEO last month are indicators that they may be willing to go big on an acquisition. All we can do is sit back and see what happens.

For me I kinda wanna see what happens if they make a play for Discovery/Warner and wind up picking up all that IP along with WB games. As a whole that'd do more for Sony as a company than acquiring any video game publisher and would guarantee they've got a VERY deep reservoir of IP to make games from for decades to come.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
All this SE talk.

If MS actually let's AB teams dig into their catalog and stop pumping CoD as much, then I may actually support a MS acquisition of SE to see if they would also let them spread out more.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
There's also the fact that no Japanese publisher is in rush of selling, so saying that this is a good time for Sony is kinda irrelevant when Capcom, Sega, etc. can just wait for Microsoft to be ready to acquire more.

Publishers aren't going to immediately throw themselves at Sony. They will look for the highest bidder when the time to sell comes.

This all depends on Gamepass success on the following years, among other things.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There's also the fact that no Japanese publisher is in rush of selling, so saying that this is a good time for Sony is kinda irrelevant when Capcom, Sega, etc. can just wait for Microsoft to be ready to acquire more.

Publishers aren't going to immediately throw themselves at Sony. They will look for the highest bidder when the time to sell comes.

Sometimes I feel like people are just sitting around with steepled fingers and a checklist of "publishers it would be great for Playstation to lose". Why do we want Microsoft to own everything?

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
They can't outspend Sony, but they CAN drive up the price to make multiple acquisitions unviable. And we can't discount publishers merging with other companies either.

Sony is not buying 2-3 publishers with only $10B or so. It's a much more complicated deal.

It's really not necessary to spend 10B USD in cash to buy Capcom and Square Enix. They can pay with stocks. The combined market value of the two publishers is12.35B USD, which means 17.3B USD with 40% premium. Half of the payment might be in cash.

Buying both may rise anti-trust concerns in Japan. Capcom is easier one, because their revenues for a fiscal year are less than 1B USD, while Square Enix are hitting the 3B USD mark. For reference Bandai Namco revenues for 2020FY are 6.8B USD, while Sega Sammy is at 2.53B USD (most of it is not from gaming).

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020
Please no. I want Sony to make acquisitions but all the threads, pain.

This is a gaming forum and the biggest gaming acquisition just happened a few days ago. Threads like these are expected and at least OP put some effort into his post and question, unlike others here.

Also, you seemed OK discussing acquisitions in the PS Studios thread 🙄

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Sometimes I feel like people are just sitting around with steepled fingers and a checklist of "publishers it would be great for Playstation to lose". Why do we want Microsoft to own everything?

Huh. This is not about Microsoft. It's about how things work in the industry.

Everyting IS sold to those who can pay more (which is an advantage MS has). And said everything can take years to happen. Matt himself said we could expect another major acquisition 18 months from now, which should be when MS's deal with ActiB finalizes.

If anything, we should question why so many posters are convinced publishers want to sell themselves to Sony ASAP, especially when there are companies out there that are far richer and willing to pay more.

Last edited:

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
This is a gaming forum and the biggest gaming acquisition just happened a few days ago. Threads like these are expected and at least OP put some effort into his post and question, unlike others here.

Also, you seemed OK discussing acquisitions in the PS Studios thread 🙄
Yeah in an existing thread I'm perfectly fine with discussing it. How does that contradict anything I said?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Because a lot of AAA third party studios are bland and shitting out the same garbage every few years in hopes that it'll sell thanks to their name. I find that Microsoft or Sony taking some of these studios under their wings could really improve them and also help the developers at these studios be more creative.

Be more creative? What does Microsoft know about creativity?

It's the individual studios that make them what they are, not the other way around.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Be more creative? What does Microsoft know about creativity?

It's the individual studios that make them what they are, not the other way around.
Good thing I never said "Microsoft is creative", I said "help the developers at these studios be more creative"... Microsoft can pour more resources into projects, and thanks to Game Pass not every game needs to sell 10M+ so they can make more niche/passion projects like Josh Sawyer is doing. Don't know what kind of point you're making.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Good thing I never said "Microsoft is more creative", I said "help the developers at these studios be more creative"... Microsoft can pour more resources into projects, and thanks to Game Pass not every game needs to sell 10M+ so they can make more niche/passion projects like Josh Sawyer is doing.

My mistake. I didn't realize by helping them be more creative, you just meant throw more money around.

I was under the impression you were talking about a Nintendo style situation where they help studios produce better quality games.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Capcom and SE are worth far more than just $10 billion combined.

And can likely ask for way more considering the precedent set by the MS/ActiB deal.

Especially if Sony comes off as desperate. No one is going to sell to the first guy that knocks on their door. It's all about profit.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
My mistake. I didn't realize by helping them be more creative, you just meant throw more money around.

I was under the impression you were talking about a Nintendo style situation where they help studios produce better quality games.
How are they different? Are suits at Nintendo creative directors on games? What is this tribalism lmao. "Throw more money around" also completely ignores what I said about Game Pass allowing more passion projects. This is helping them be more creative.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
And can likely ask for way more considering the precedent set by the MS/ActiB deal.

Especially if Sony comes off as desperate. No one is going to sell to the first guy that knocks on their door.

Exactly publicly traded companies that are looking to sell will always seek out the best offer and if they have to wait until later this year when the MS-AB deal will likely close then they will.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Didnt Squeenix come out and say they are not for sale recently? On the other hand, Bobby was looking to cash out with a sale, same with Bethesda.