• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Haven't seen a response or denial.

There really isn't much to deny. And the only response possible would be to spin it.

Better for them to just keep quiet, which is part for the course regarding their hardware sales this gen. Although it might have been nice to celebrate 50 million sold, no point when that metric doesn't look good in comparison to competition.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So are these numbers official and had MS responded?

Zhuge's numbers are as close as we'll ever get for a current worldwide sales number for Xbox.

Microsoft won't confirm or deny these numbers: they stopped releasing the number of consoles sold this generation and they're focusing on different metrics, like MAU.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
They already sell the Xbox One S for $199 pretty often and that really hasn't helped them win any NPDs. Also how is this years lineup going to be better than what they've had? The only thing this year that we really know of that is significant is Gears 5 and sorry to tell you but Gears 4 didn't exactly do a lot to move units. Microsoft's sales will likely be down even more this year.
XB1 did win over PS4 last month, just not over Switch. And I assume they'll start cutting the price on the X this year, that could get the snowball running. Gears 5, Crackdown 3 and Ori 2 will no doubt sell more consoles than Forza Horizon 4 and State of Decay 2, plus I'm sure they have something we don't know about up their sleaves as well. With several big third party games coming out Q1-2 this year I just can't see the sales start going down unless second half of the year is a black hole of nothing.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Microsoft could certainly do more to please European consumers but they're not THAT bad.
Nowadays I wouldn't differentiate the 2 as much, both have solid network, MS has game pass and a high value to cost ratio while Sony have greater sales and a more solid 1st party output (especially late gen).

However at the beginning of this generation MS were mind bogglingly stupid, the TV TV sports TV was something extra, but outside of 'Murica these features wouldn't even be available. So while the Us saw the reveal as TV and sports, the rest of the world saw a 1-2 hour reveal of box with features they couldn't use even if they wanted to.

Also remember the whole Tier 2-countries? A delayed launch is something but the wording... (Their excuse was to set up the TV and Sports locally but as release came nearly a YEAR later they were nowhere to be found)
Let's see if they can keep doing what they're doing, expand their offering to Europe and not make the many mistakes they did last time.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
XB1 did win over PS4 last month, just not over Switch. And I assume they'll start cutting the price on the X this year, that could get the snowball running. Gears 5, Crackdown 3 and Ori 2 will no doubt sell more consoles than Forza Horizon 4 and State of Decay 2, plus I'm sure they have something we don't know about up their sleaves as well. With several big third party games coming out Q1-2 this year I just can't see the sales start going down unless second half of the year is a black hole of nothing.
Yeah that was one holiday month where they were $100 cheaper than the PS4 was. Sony ran no deals at all in December. It's not like we haven't seen Microsoft win Nov or Dec before. After that it usually reverts back to the PS4 beating it in most of the other months of the year.

Crackdown 3 has pretty much zero hype behind it and I'll be shocked if that is even an 80 or higher rated title at this point. No one is going out and buying a system for that or Ori 2. No offense but as good as Ori 1 was it was still an indie title that most people don't even know of. I find it really funny that you think Ori 2 and CD3 are bigger titles than Forza Horizon 4. Gears 5 might be close but again that franchise has been on the decline and Gears 5 is going to have to do something major to get it back on track. People like Benji and Mat have already said that both the Xbox and PS4 will likely see declines this year. I don't know why your arguing against it. Both are entering their sixth year on the market so it's only natural.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that was one holiday month where they were $100 cheaper than the PS4 was.
Ding ding, that's what I'm saying, price cuts will increase the sales. And I think we'll see official price cuts this year, not just short deals and bundles.

No offense but the other thing you're saying is just you taking a surprisingly negative stance. We're literally coming from the worst year for Xbox regarding first party offerings, I choose to think they can do better than that. CD3 could certainly be bigger than State of Decay 2, even with an 80 metascore. Gears 5 could certainly be bigger than Forza Horizon 4 as well being a shooter and all. And Ori as an IP is most definitely in a whole other situation than in 2015. It all just adds up on a more positive note the way I see it. Plus we obviously don't know everything that will come this year yet, nobody have the answers yet, maybe we'll get a new Halo or something else, who knows

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017
If the new Xbox team with Phil and Panay team reached to sell 40 millions with that initial fiasco ...I just can't wait to see what are they have for their first console next gen

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Nowadays I wouldn't differentiate the 2 as much, both have solid network, MS has game pass and a high value to cost ratio while Sony have greater sales and a more solid 1st party output (especially late gen).[/v]

However at the beginning of this generation MS were mind bogglingly stupid, the TV TV sports TV was something extra, but outside of 'Murica these features wouldn't even be available. So while the Us saw the reveal as TV and sports, the rest of the world saw a 1-2 hour reveal of box with features they couldn't use even if they wanted to.

Also remember the whole Tier 2-countries? A delayed launch is something but the wording... (Their excuse was to set up the TV and Sports locally but as release came nearly a YEAR later they were nowhere to be found)
Let's see if they can keep doing what they're doing, expand their offering to Europe and not make the many mistakes they did last time.

That's the problem for MS, it they can't differentiate themselves enough, the people will choose the best brand and in Europe it is Playstation. And first party exclusives out of God of War and Spiderman are more popular in Europe.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
If the new Xbox team with Phil and Panay team reached to sell 40 millions with that initial fiasco ...I just can't wait to see what are they have for their first console next gen
Yup it's quite the achievement. I started out hating on them, the DRM fiasco is one thing but XB1 was delayed nearly a full year at my country... it's just inexcusable. And the weak hardware made me choose the PS4 versions all the time, I honestly barely even touched the XB1 for years.
But after the X launched and an upgrade to Win 10 happened I jumped in with both feet, the power, Play Anywhere, BC and X enhance versions and especially the performance modes are certainly welcome. So they've definitely started turning that sinking ship around from my point of view, they really just need to sort out the first party situation and next gen will be very interesting indeed.

Nov 12, 2017
That's the problem for MS, it they can't differentiate themselves enough, the people will choose the best brand and in Europe it is Playstation. And first party exclusives out of God of War and Spiderman are more popular in Europe.
Na...x360 showed it that if u have the product you will sell it good
And I'm in one of those European "PlayStationland"

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland

It showed that if the product(xbox) is good, it sells good in NA and UK.
It has been said several times before in this thread, but the only reason X360 managed to compete with PS3 is X360s fantastic performance in NA region.
The same is being seen with X1, where of the 41m sold, 25m are in the US.

Any brand recognition/goodwil xbox had in europe got wiped/negated by XB1, and with the ressurgence of Nintendo the next Xbox is gonna have an even harder time, since they wont just have to compete with PS who dominates Europe, but a rising Nintendo too.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

No the 360 shows that if Sony sold a Playstation at 599 euros they are in trouble.

Edit: And at the end they sold more console in Europe and rest of the world to be able to sold a little more than 360 with a huge deficit of sales from North America and UK. PS3 is the strongest proof of Playstation brand strength in continental Europe much more than PS4.

Edit2: And I am french and lived or went very often to 5 different European countries the last 10 years. And all solding much more Playstation 3 or 4 than 360 or Xbox One.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017
It showed that if the product(xbox) is good, it sells good in NA and UK.
It has been said several times before in this thread, but the only reason X360 managed to compete with PS3 is X360s fantastic performance in NA region.
The same is being seen with X1, where of the 41m sold, 25m are in the US.

Any brand recognition/goodwil xbox had in europe got wiped/negated by XB1, and with the ressurgence of Nintendo the next Xbox is gonna have an even harder time, since they wont just have to compete with PS who dominates Europe, but a rising Nintendo too.
Listen the notion of a good product from microosft can sell good just in USA and Canada is utterly stupid no matter who is saying and if they are repeating 10000 times ..just close it there...consumer know how value products and mass market is pushed where and when company spend marketing for good adv.(like Sony do with soccer) The 360 sold better in Europe too

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017
No the 360 shows that if Sony sold a Playstation at 599 euros they are in trouble.

Edit: And at the end they sold more console in Europe and rest of the world to be able to sold a little more than 360 with a huge deficit of sales from North America and UK. PS3 is a strongest proof of Playstation brand strength in continental Europe much more than PS4.
Don't wanna go again in the ps3 sales ..I've my opinion about it and the money free and super easy software hack is great part of it for their sales ..but I leave it there this thread is about xb

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I also feel very confident in buying digital content on Xbox One, as it will carry forward. You cannot be sure with any competitor in this regard.

MS Rewards discounts are awesome in Germany. Easy refunds set it apart from the other platforms. BC is entirely FREE as opposed to rebuying games on PSN and Nintendo eShop. And most importantly: You can seamlessly switch to a digital copy of a game if you like to. With PS4, there are many titles where savegames are not compatible between disc-based and digital versions. I've had to manually search for a lot of games there when I decided to go digital. Xbox wins in these categories, although PSN sales are usually a bit better.

Larger digital sale shares also put some other things into perspective then: The 8% share that Tales of Vesperia and Valkyria Chronicles 4 scored on Xbox One might be a bit higher in reality. I imagine Switch digital sales also to be very strong, but I guess PS4 is a bit different here.

Last edited:

xICHIGOx

Oct 27, 2017
Listen the notion of a good product from microosft can sell good just in USA and Canada is utterly stupid no matter who is saying and if they are repeating 10000 times ..just close it there...consumer know how value products and mass market is pushed where and when company spend marketing for good adv.(like Sony do with soccer) The 360 sold better in Europe too
Better then who?

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Don't wanna go again in the ps3 sales ..I've my opinion about it and the money free and super easy software hack is great part of it for their sales ..but I leave it there this thread is about xb

You are joking I hope or you are delusional, PS3 sold better than 360 day one in Europe, it tooks not so long to reach and let the 360 behind launching one year later.

And at launch PS3 did not have all the successful studios they have now. Coming from an era where they had many third party exclusive title to a multiplatform era, they decided to build studios but it only begins to pay in 2009 with Uncharted 2, GT 5 and PS3 Slim. Before 2009 out of the brand there were no reasons to buy a PS3, it was a console with the worst version of the same game than 360, without a big exclusive title for the fucking price of 599 euros. 360 had big exclusive from Halo to Mass Effect, Gears of War, some Japanese exclusives Blue Dragon and other title, better marketing deal with GTA 4 or COD, better indies support... At least Xbox One had Halo and Gears of War franchise to justify American people to buy it. PS3 had nothing, Playstation was just a cool brand and it save them.

And in US it is exactly the inverse situation if PS5 launch is as bad as Xbox One launch they will not trail by 4 millions behind Xbox, they will lost at least by 10 millions unit. Xbox brand is strong in US bigger than Playstation brand imo.

Edit: I know Sony had Resistance Fall of Man or Motorstorm but they were nowhere near Halo or Gears of War as critical and commercial sucess.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017
You are joking I hope or you are delusional, PS3 sold better than 360 day one in Europe, it tooks not so long to reach and let the 360 behind launching one year later.

And at launch PS3 did not have all the successful studios they have now. Coming from an era where they had many third party exclusive title to a multiplatform era, they decided to build studios but it only begins to pay in 2009 with Uncharted 2, GT 5 and PS3 Slim. Before 2009 out of the brand there were no reasons to buy a PS3, it was a console with the worst version of the same game than 360, without a big exclusive title for the fucking price of 599 euros. 360 had big exclusive from Halo to Mass Effect, Gears of War, some Japanese exclusives Blue Dragon and other title, better marketing deal with GTA 4 or COD... At least Xbox One had Halo and Gears of War franchise to justify American people to buy it. PS3 had nothing, Playstation was just a cool brand and it save them.

And in US it is exactly the inverse situation if PS5 launch is as bad as Xbox One launch they will not trail by 4 millions behind Xbox, they will lost at least by 10 millions unit. Xbox brand is strong in US bigger than Playstation brand imo.
Ok i explained myself bad......the point is ....brands grow and decline. Apple was close to the bankrupt before the ipod and iphone. Saying XY product will forever sell better than XZY in YZ country is stupid . Period
No one was expecting the shit that mattrick with the Xb1 pulled at Ms. Like no one after the PS2 was at Sony expecting the utter economical mistake that PS3 been

Kazuma Kiryu

Oct 28, 2017

And at launch PS3 did not have all the successful studios they have now. Coming from an era where they had many third party exclusive title to a multiplatform era, they decided to build studios but it only begins to pay in 2009 with Uncharted 2, GT 5 and PS3 Slim. Before 2009 out of the brand there were no reasons to buy a PS3, it was a console with the worst version of the same game than 360, without a big exclusive title for the fucking price of 599 euros. 360 had big exclusive from Halo to Mass Effect, Gears of War, some Japanese exclusives Blue Dragon and other title, better marketing deal with GTA 4 or COD, better indies support... At least Xbox One had Halo and Gears of War franchise to justify American people to buy it. PS3 had nothing, Playstation was just a cool brand and it save them.

Edit: I know Sony had Resistance Fall of Man or Motorstorm but they were nowhere near Halo or Gears of War as critical and commercial sucess.

Don't tell me you didn't know about how easy to hack the ps3 was, compared to the 360...

Jan 17, 2019
Ding ding, that's what I'm saying, price cuts will increase the sales. And I think we'll see official price cuts this year, not just short deals and bundles.

No offense but the other thing you're saying is just you taking a surprisingly negative stance. We're literally coming from the worst year for Xbox regarding first party offerings, I choose to think they can do better than that. CD3 could certainly be bigger than State of Decay 2, even with an 80 metascore. Gears 5 could certainly be bigger than Forza Horizon 4 as well being a shooter and all. And Ori as an IP is most definitely in a whole other situation than in 2015. It all just adds up on a more positive note the way I see it. Plus we obviously don't know everything that will come this year yet, nobody have the answers yet, maybe we'll get a new Halo or something else, who knows

Ding, ding. X1 was on sale throughout whole 2018 and X1 bested PS4 in Dec. by a small margin. in US. So, i guess December matters, other months doesn't. X1 is on track to sell worse in 2019 than in 2018. Xbox is constantly on sale and each year they are selling worse and worse, since 2014.
And suddenly X1 is poised to move this year maybe 10 mil. units with price-cuts and deals like it had the last year and year before and year before that, right?

Last edited:

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
Let's not forget their big NFL deal announcement at the X1 reveal.
Heck, at the time of their reveal, even Netflix wasn't available in most European countries.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Ok i explained myself bad......the point is ....brands grow and decline. Apple was close to the bankrupt before the ipod and iphone. Saying XY product will forever sell better than XZY in YZ country is stupid . Period
No one was expecting the shit that mattrick with the Xb1 pulled at Ms. Like no one after the PS2 was at Sony expecting the utter economical mistake that PS3 been

But most of the time you need bad decisions to kill a brand or a disruption from another brand. Without the Xbox One errors Sony was a better brand than Xbox in Europe after 2010 MS goes full Kinect with 360.

This is time it is much easier to design the console out of the pricing point. I think 499 euros will hurt the console in Europe.

Don't tell me you didn't know about how easy to hack the ps3 was, compared to the 360...

And you think day one the PS4 was hacked. ;) You don't sell more than 80 millions console on a hack it will mean your console will never be profitable and Sony finish by break even a year with software sales.

Nov 12, 2017
The Cult of Phil is so strange. XB1 has been selling less and less each year since Phil took over. That isn't what success looks like.

xb1 is a product born crippled by the mattrick fantasies. it would be more correct to judge xb x as a product based on the idea of phil and his new team. but even that is nothing but a xb1 on steroids. the next generation will be the one where phil and panay will say their whole.

Nov 12, 2017
But most of the time you need bad decisions to kill a brand or a disruption from another brand. Without the Xbox One errors Sony was a better brand than Xbox in Europe after 2010 MS goes full Kinect with 360.
Exactly. and that's what happened to both companies
Sony lost a large part of its uncontested marketshare after Ms's x360 comeback, all of this helped by a series of stupid decisions by its managers (we all know that the ps3 is a huge fiasco for Sony) ... and everything this happened in a market that saw Sony directing virtually a monopoly after PS2

At the same time, at home Ms this generation have lost virtually half of the marketshare thanks to the OG XB1 fiasco and Mattrick's choices
Things change faster than you think .. and users are not "girlfriends" or blood brothers ... they come and go
ps. and yeah ...i know about digital libraries..and everything.....but digital libraries are still in their infancy...lets talk about it in 2 gen

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
The Cult of Phil is so strange. XB1 has been selling less and less each year since Phil took over. That isn't what success looks like.
I think assuming his metric for success was console sales when they put games on PC, launched a new subscription service, and managed to get stuff like Minecraft's unified system going on another console (Switch) is short sighted. Whatever his metrics were he must have met them since he got a rather large promotion within MS.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
For next generation I think find the right spot for pricing the hardware will be important for Sony and MS. And exclusives will be as important for them than for Netflix. If Steve Ballmer was CEO exclusives, exclusives, exclusives...

On Sony side, they need to change the PSN services and find the right formula between PS plus and PS Now. I am interested by the download part of the PSNow but not the streaming part. It would been a good idea to have a Gamepass type of service but Sony probably need to step up with AA exclusives development and they need to not forget indie support this much more worrying than anything else. They change the priority from indie to VR but Kodera told to investor VR sold below expectations maybe they need to invest more if they have long term plan in VR. They can't forget indie and AA or they will pay it. They need more GAAS exclusives game and to expand streaming part of PSNow.

On Microsoft side, it is good to buy AA studios but they need to have the single player AAA adventure at Sony level in quality and quantity to made me switch. And it will not be a problem if they aren't day one on Gamepass. People goes to theater watch the last Blockbuster movie and at home they subscribe to Netflix. Gamepass is great, I am not convinced by Lockhart. Anaconda is a good idea. Xcloud seems right.

Edit: Sony need at least to be backwards compatible with PS4, PS2 classics, PS Vita and PS1 Classics. PS3 would be great but I am not sure it will be possible. I think Sony needs to continue to do remake of PS1 and PS2 game. For example SOTC sold more than the original version . Let VR down would be an error they probably need to play the long game. First they don't need to launch PSVR 2 very soon but continue to support PSVR on PS5. 1080p 120 fps game PS5 BR game will looks good.

Last edited:

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Bingo!!
The problem with xbox is that they have a core audience that they are milking very hard, i am sure that from the start of this generation until now xobox core fans have spent an absurd amount of money for their system with the multiple models, S, X, pro controllers, subscriptions, drives and what else.
All that is good when the economy is booming but now with recession closer than ever if they don't expand their audience they will be in problems.

Jan 17, 2019
Bingo!!
The problem with xbox is that they have a core audience that they are milking very hard, i am sure that from the start of this generation until now xobox core fans have spent an absurd amount of money for their system with the multiple models, S, X, pro controllers, subscriptions, drives and what else.
All that is good when the economy is booming but now with recession closer than ever if they don't expand their audience they will be in problems.

Don't worry. MS has the enough money to acquire 50-100 mil. gamers. for playing.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Ding, ding. X1 was on sale throughout whole 2018 and X1 bested PS4 in Dec. by a small margin. in US. So, i guess December matters, other months doesn't. X1 is on track to sell worse in 2019 than in 2018. Xbox is constantly on sale and each year they are selling worse and worse, since 2014.
Sales and bundles won't stop because the price cut is made, the bar is just lowered.
But what sales data are you looking at?
And suddenly X1 is poised to move this year maybe 10 mil. units with price-cuts and deals like it had the last year and year before and year before that, right?
No, better than 2018, not 10 million.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't said anything wrong. BC is free, yes, only if you already own an X360 game.
Your logic is fascinatingly limited.
If you own the game, you can play it. If not, then you can't.

Look, another one.
Do you think a business the size of Xbox can shift direction in the time it takes you to boil three eggs?
Phil is doing his best at laying the building blocks for next generation, the evidence is plenty. And with what we're seeing on the hardware front, with the bridges he's built up with Nutella and Game Pass, look at all the money he's got and injecting into new studios. The Initiative, Obsidian, and Playground should bring some much needed fresh air and break the Halo-Gears-Forza cycle.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019
Sales and bundles won't stop because the price cut is made, the bar is just lowered.
But what sales data are you looking at?

Yeah, won't stop, but really minority of people will tend to buy an X1 even with a price cut and won't boost sales. Why minority? Because MS has created a perception of how X1 is ALWAYS ON SALE. There is absolutely a thing when it comes to devaluing your product when it seems like it is 'on sale' all the time. Why buy an X1 even with official price-cut when you can wait month or two and it will be on sale and then buy it.

Global sales. During mid 2018. global sales were up 15% in their reports, BUT, in US X1 was up around 40% till mid 2018., ROTW were down 25%. That's how you get 15% globally. But, at the end of 2018, X1 was 2% up in US, so, ROTW is a freaking disaster. And it will go only down and down and down....and down. Not up! 2018 is their worst year yet.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019
Which is what BC is and should be.

You are being disingenuous, somehow BC isnt free unless the game is free for everybody ?

Bingo! X360 game on GWG is free for everybody because you own it lifetime even if XBL. sub ends.

Your logic is fascinatingly limited.
If you own the game, you can play it. If not, then you can't.

Then BC isn't free for me because i don't own a game from previous gen.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, won't stop, but really minority of people will tend to an X1 even with a price cut and won't boost sales. Why minority? Because MS has created a perception of how X1 is ALWAYS ON SALE. There is absolutely a thing when it comes to devaluing your product when it seems like it is 'on sale' all the time.
Global sales. During mid 2018. global sales were up 15% in their reports, BUT, in US X1 was up around 40% till mid 2018., ROTW were down 25%. That's how you get 15% globally. But, at the end of 2018, X1 was 2% up in US, so, ROTW is a freaking disaster. And it will go only down and down and down....and down. Not up! 2018 is their worst year yet.
So you're essentially saying that price don't matter? That's new. What about more and bigger exclusives? All this is likely what 2019 will bring.

Jan 17, 2019
So you're essentially saying that price don't matter? That's new.

Please point it out where i said price-cut don't matter. It matters, in case of X1, it doesn't. Like i said : There is absolutely a thing when it comes to devaluing your product when it seems like it is 'on sale' all the time. Why buy an X1 even with official price-cut when you can wait month or two and it will be on sale and then buy it.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
I am pretty happy now to be in the XBox camp when I switched from PS4 to an X1X (and Switch). As long as MS turns out really great hardware, some good services and keep on pushing technology on all fronts, I will almost certainly not go back to Sony. I feel like the xbox brand is just a lot more dynamic atm. For me personally all this AAA exclusive stuff is a non-factor. There is an wealth of great games on all systems.

I guess I am a bit of a premium customer with a reasonable amount of spare money to spend. Everything I own, on all platforms, is digital.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Please point it out where i said price-cut don't matter. It matters, in case of X1, it doesn't. Like i said : There is absolutely a thing when it comes to devaluing your product when it seems like it is 'on sale' all the time. Why buy an X1 even with official price-cut when you can wait month or two and it will be on sale and then buy it.
That makes no sense, of course it matters on X1 too, once the price is low enough people won't sit at the fence and wait for the price to go down even further, the trick is to hit the sweet spot while simultaneously offer games that people want to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.