• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Being wrong on the internet is a capital offense sure, but being wrong about timing is really the only thing here imo. N3DS didn't come with the AC Adapter in the states either, were these suppose to only be sold to existing customers? USB-C is a very common cord, the lack of it's inclusion isn't a big deal.
No, not just timing, but like i said usage too, it's literally called 2nd set unit. That's what Nintendo calls it. That's the official name. And that's the target audience. You can come up with comparisons etc, but that's just moving the goalpost.

At the time of release of the 2nd set unit, there were no other versions available like the 3DS. Like people wanting to upgrade. So that comparison doesn't work. You are grasping at straws at this point.

Who would buy the 2nd set unit who doesn't already own a Switch + dock? You would need to buy the adapter separate. That would wipe out the savings and you are left without dock, joy-con grip and hdmi cable. You not only pay the same price in the end, but missing accessories and functionality. Lmao, people would be really, really dumb to buy the 2nd set unit, because they want a "portable-only" Switch.

LukasHeinzel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With it being half the price it doesn't really surprise me. This isnt downplaying the Success of the Switch, but the Xbox One isnt a failure either.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
sorry for being a bit "strange".. I know what this thread is about. lol
I just wanted to see if we could get a better number of shipped XB1 units than we have.
They sold 41mi end of 2018. They sold 3 million in US in 2019. So best scenario 46 mi now(BEST SCENARIO)

This year they will sell 2.5-3 million ww

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
With it being half the price it doesn't really surprise me. This isnt downplaying the Success of the Switch, but the Xbox One isnt a failure either.
It is though.
Not only did it sell way less than the predecessor, it lost basically all progress the brand had made outside the USA and partly the UK.
XBO was never twice the price of Switch, and has been aviable for cheaper than Switch for the last few years.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
I am of course referring to first party exclusives here. But willing to be proved wrong.

The big 3 are Forza halo and gears, gears is not exactly dude bro nowadays it's been considerably lessened. If it's first party then that limits it down dramatically as ms before last year had maybe 4 studios if it's exclusives which I assume is your overall point then it kinda speaks for itself.

Quantum break
Ori
Sea of thieves
Super luckys tale

Calling it the dude bro shooty console is like calling the ps the third person adventure console

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
THANK YOU

To put it more aptly: Wii U is far more deserving of the "home console you can take on the go" moniker than the Switch, precisely because the stationary TV experience isn't sacrificed for the inclusion of portability.

The Switch is the virtual inverse of the Wii U right down to it's design, which is why it always humored me when the anti-handheld crowd proclaimed the Switch was "everything the Wii U was supposed to be". Those words are (and still is) a tacit admission marketing was the only difference between their acceptance of the Switch vs. prior handhelds.
The Wii U isn't a hybrid console, it is a console whose controller had a screen, and that some games were able to be played without a screen connected to the console. That's hardly hybrid, you had to be connected to the AC at all times.
The Switch however let's you choose.
You wanna play only on the TV? You can!
You wanna use it exclusively on the bus? You also can!
You wanna use it sometimes on the bus, sometimes on the TV? That can be done.
Hybrid is Home Console and Portable mixed together. The Wii U can't be used as a portable, you're still limited by the AC cord and the reach of the wireless connection to the controller, so it's a home console.
Do you remember those small screen that you could plug into home consoles to play games? Sounds a little like the wii u, doesn't it?

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I found this to be very interesting. Anyone surprised that Switch managed to ship more consoles than Xbox in such a short amount of time?
You found this very interesting?
Have you been living under a rock?
It's better to say nothing if you have nothing to say than to say something that is immediately apparent fake, allowing people to think you just want attention.

Jun 10, 2018
The Wii U isn't a hybrid console, it is a console whose controller had a screen, and that some games were able to be played without a screen connected to the console. That's hardly hybrid, you had to be connected to the AC at all times.
The Switch however let's you choose.
You wanna play only on the TV? You can!
You wanna use it exclusively on the bus? You also can!
You wanna use it sometimes on the bus, sometimes on the TV? That can be done.
Hybrid is Home Console and Portable mixed together. The Wii U can't be used as a portable, you're still limited by the AC cord and the reach of the wireless connection to the controller, so it's a home console.
Do you remember those small screen that you could plug into home consoles to play games? Sounds a little like the wii u, doesn't it?
Wii U is absolutely a hybrid, and the limited portable functionality when compared to a "real" portable doesn't change that.

Wii U just happens to live in the stationary oriented end of the hybrid spectrum, hence it's limited range, TV dependency, and outlet-based power supply. Wii U exists alongside the GBA adapter and Super Gameboy Player/Pak as Nintendo's other failed attempts at consolidation on the home console side. It took until the current maturation of technology thanks to the proliferation of mobile, coinciding with the utter collapse of Nintendo's home console brand, for them to prioritize portability in their design choice. And thus, the Switch was born.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
makes sense.. but this comment

does not fit into that .. and that was the comment I was responding to.
And i was responding to the usual drivel posted here when people go out of their way to shit on Microsoft. I would call out people shitting on Sony and Nintendo but that doesn't happen here unless it's absolutely called for (crossplay)

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
And i was responding to the usual drivel posted here when people go out of their way to shit on Microsoft. I would call out people shitting on Sony and Nintendo but that doesn't happen here unless it's absolutely called for (crossplay)

ohh I did not notice any shitting on MS.. sorry.. just noticed people pointing out that Nintendo and Sony sold/sell many more consoles than Microsoft.

sonnyboy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 35 and I haven't owned a Nintendo product since the OG Gameboy. Last year I picked up a Switch for my 7 year old daugher and loved it so much that I purchased a Lite for myself. There's a level of charm to the games that is undeniable and that I lacked an appreciation for in years past.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
No, not just timing, but like i said usage too, it's literally called 2nd set unit. That's what Nintendo calls it. That's the official name. And that's the target audience. You can come up with comparisons etc, but that's just moving the goalpost.

At the time of release of the 2nd set unit, there were no other versions available like the 3DS. Like people wanting to upgrade. So that comparison doesn't work. You are grasping at straws at this point.

Who would buy the 2nd set unit who doesn't already own a Switch + dock? You would need to buy the adapter separate. That would wipe out the savings and you are left without dock, joy-con grip and hdmi cable. You not only pay the same price in the end, but missing accessories and functionality. Lmao, people would be really, really dumb to buy the 2nd set unit, because they want a "portable-only" Switch.
Nope, I disagree, as I said very clearly "IMO", there is no objectively right here, you didn't need to own a Switch to buy that model, you don't need a Switch AC adapter to charge the Switch, USB-C chargers, including fast chargers which are all over Japan, can be used to charge the Switch just fine.

I respect that you don't think of the Switch in the same way that I do, but clearly Nintendo could have made a console that you took a lesser functioning GBA style controller away from the unit, that would be a hybrid platform, that is both a portable and a home console, but in my opinion, because the Switch functions as a whole unit as a portable, it can be called a portable device, and in terms of context here, that is all I'm saying, that Nintendo portables sell really well and that Switch is a portable.

I've agreed you can call it a hybrid or a home console at least some of the time, but that doesn't even apply to all Switch units, with the Lite now selling about 1/3rd of the Switch units going forward are going to be portable only devices, so where is the issue with calling it a portable? The very idea that we separate portables from home consoles is very weird and only applies to video games, we don't separate laptops from desktops, we just call them PCs, but here there is some weird console warrior attachment to separating one from the other, no. The Switch functions exactly like a laptop with a dock.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's better to say nothing if you have nothing to say than to say something that is immediately apparent fake, allowing people to think you just want attention.
i dont know angie, but looking at a post history she just seems to post stuff she finds interesting.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
The big 3 are Forza halo and gears, gears is not exactly dude bro nowadays it's been considerably lessened. If it's first party then that limits it down dramatically as ms before last year had maybe 4 studios if it's exclusives which I assume is your overall point then it kinda speaks for itself.

Quantum break
Ori
Sea of thieves
Super luckys tale

Calling it the dude bro shooty console is like calling the ps the third person adventure console
Obviously it's an exaggeration of the reality, but X1 is not exactly kicking the butt off that stigma. The new studios doesn't bear fruit until next gen starts and X1's biggest games that aren't on other platforms is indeed part of the shooter genre.

MS is making great inroads but come on they just stated reaching out to get Japanese support and increasing WWS range for more variety, it hasn't distanced itself far enough from dudebro IMO especially with how it's spreading out it's first party efforts to other platforms.

I'd say it's identity amongst hardcore is best value/convenient way to play a bunch of 3rd party. For casuals I don't know, just think it's the preferred way to play online games for some.
It's partly why it doesn't appeal to me, I feel I need a Nintendo and a Playstation every gen. I can usually skip an Xbox or get one cheap.

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Long live Stadia
phil-harrison-2.jpg

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
still 11 months to go technically.
I wouldnt expect to high of Xbox shipments for the next couple months - retailers will be trying to get rid of whatever stock they have for the new consoles + Switch coming Holiday.
Started it last year already in Europe with SAD editions being sold for 100€ or the One X for sub 300€.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
It's partly why it doesn't appeal to me, I feel I need a Nintendo and a Playstation every gen. I can usually skip an Xbox or get one cheap.

This is what swung it for me, the exclusive offerings were not significant enough to sway me from it's competitors, I didn't quite feel I would miss out on much if I didn't buy one.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Sounds like PS4 will be at 120 million, Switch at 70 million and Xbox One at 50 million by the time next gen starts, correct?

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
It's at 106 million beginning of January, only 4 more million until November?
Definitively more than 4m, but also defintively less than 14m that would be needed to get to 120M by november.
In its second strongest market(Japan) PS4 is completely collapsing from the data we saw, but it might be better in other regions.

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
Xbox One had one of the worst launch in history, perhaps the worst tied with Stadia, specially in Europe, where it basically treated their fanbase as second class customers. They have corrected the ship and made a lot of progress since then, but they're still not there yet.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox One had one of the worst launch in history, perhaps the worst tied with Stadia, specially in Europe, where it basically treated their fanbase as second class customers. They have corrected the ship and made a lot of progress since then, but they're still not there yet.
Xbox One sold 4 Million units in it's holiday launch, there is no such thing as tying with Stadia, hell a year before Xbox One launched, the Wii U launched and during the quarter following it's launch, Europe retailers returned thousands of Wii U units, which actually gave the Wii U a negative sales figure for that region during the quarter. Xbox One looks like it will sell about as many units as the SNES. It did fine, and launch wise had outsold the Wii U by it's second holiday season.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Well, there it is, just like we've predicted. It's the result of Switch performing incredibly well and Xbox One being unable to crack the market outside of the US and the UK.

Damn dude, you snapped on her like a fresh green bean.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
It's at 106 million beginning of January, only 4 more million until November?
I said around. of course it'll be a bit over 110 million, but surely closer to that instead of 120 million.

I think that is simply impossible. PS4 will keep selling after PS5 comes out
I think PS4 will sell more but honestly it's gonna be close as fuck. I think both will sell over 120 million, but under 130 million.