• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
It's not a hybrid if I don't use the dock right? In japan since 2017, you've been able to buy it at ~$240 without a dock, was it still a hybrid system?

I'm not knocking the Switch, but the PSP and Nomad were able to play on the TV before too right? What I said is that the Nintendo Switch is a portable that can be used as a home console, that makes it both, but it is clearly a portable device.

yeah it's still a hybrid

if you bought a hybrid Prius, and only used gas in it, you wouldn't be getting any benefit from the more efficient electric mode, but the car would still be a hybrid.

the switch mini, however, is NOT a hybrid

Oct 31, 2017

I have seen people say the Xbox is around 40-50 million in sales for like 3 years now lol.
Yea, I'm calling BS on this. There's no way Xbox has sold over 52 million. Sales have been trending down for a while now with the XB1, especially worldwide sales, no way they've shipped that many. Their sales have been abysmal outside of NA/UK for a while now. Unless there are secret countries buying XB1 over 52 million is impossible.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Once it became clear the Switch was going to sell a ton, it outselling the Xbox One around this time was to be expected.

Xbox One will stop at slightly above 50M.
The ps4 achieved the same feat right? Not been a good gen for MS. They've lost so much momentum to Sony and Nintendo.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
yeah it's still a hybrid

if you bought a hybrid Prius, and only used gas in it, you wouldn't be getting any benefit from the more efficient electric mode, but the car would still be a hybrid.

But in your example, the electric mode doesn't exist for the Switch package that sold in Japan, you'd have to buy an optional dock for ~$90, which means it is optionally a hybrid right?

It's like buying that Prius without an electric mode, but one could be installed for an additional cost.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
But in your example, the electric mode doesn't exist for the Switch package that sold in Japan, you'd have to buy an optional dock for ~$90, which means it is optionally a hybrid right?

It's like buying that Prius without an electric mode, but one could be installed for an additional cost.

It's always been an *optional hybrid*. But the system is designed to switch so it's a hybrid whether or not the SKU is total or not

the switch mini is not

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yea, I'm calling BS on this. There's no way Xbox has sold over 52 million. Sales have been trending down for a while now with the XB1, especially worldwide sales, no way they've shipped that many. Their sales have been abysmal outside of NA/UK for a while now. Unless there are secret countries buying XB1 over 52 million is impossible.

I think he realized his mistake.. or at least he is talking about SHIPPED switch numbers and SOLD Xbox One numbers.. or something like that.

u62sf1h.png

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am definitely eating crow as I didn't expect the Switch to do too hot due to the relatively weak hardware combined with a high price point for a Nintendo handheld, but once it turned out to be a great product (that I bought year 1 myself) it was apparent it was gonna combine Nintendo's home console and portable console enthusiasts alike, shooting for insane numbers. Probably not gonna reach PS2 or DS numbers but it could land somewhere around PS1 or PS4 above 100m at this rate.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
That's a weird statement. The number 1 thing that drives Xbox's revenue is game sales on the Marketplace, and those are dependent on console sales.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Out of the gates, I honestly wasn't sure the Switch would be the win that Nintendo needed, but just goes to show that even from within the industry and with the benefit of additional insight these things can still be hard to call. Good for Ninty though :)

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

I found this to be very interesting. Anyone surprised that Switch managed to ship more consoles than Xbox in such a short amount of time?

No. Xbox sells nothing in Japan and does relatively poorly in europe, outside of the UK (and it hasn't done as well in the UK as the 360). It's really just NA holding the xbone up here.

Meanwhile switch does great in in all three markets. This is a repeat of last gen where the wii and the ps3 both outsold it, but even worse. Financially obv far better for MS as they have no RROD killing their profits this time round.

Last edited:

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Switch is a beast. At this rate I wouldnt be surprised to see them eventually topple the PS4.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
yeah it's still a hybrid

It's not a hybrid, it's a handheld console that has a dock to connect it to TV.

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
My numbers were wrong, but I must defend my honor!
Wrong? I never provided numbers, and I was talking about sales not shipments in my original tweet. I'm sure Nintendo pushed a bunch of fresh Switch Lite inventory into channels for the holiday season. Microsoft won't be shipping a ton of new console inventory to retailers because it didn't just launch a new Xbox version in the recent quarter. Either way, I'd expect the Switch has sold through a lot of that inventory to pass the Xbox One. It was close before the holidays, and the Switch will blast past the Xbox One now. Just shows you why having more than just third-party games on your platform really matters.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Wrong? I never provided numbers, and I was talking about sales not shipments in my original tweet. I'm sure Nintendo pushed a bunch of fresh Switch Lite inventory into channels for the holiday season. Microsoft won't be shipping a ton of new console inventory to retailers because it didn't just launch a new Xbox version in the recent quarter. Either way, I'd expect the Switch has sold through a lot of that inventory to pass the Xbox One. It was close before the holidays, and the Switch will blast past the Xbox One now. Just shows you why having more than just third-party games on your platform really matters.
Exclusives matters...

putting your games everywhere won't help at all even with next gen is around they will not sale like PS4/5 and switch

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, ok. Switch hardware is now past XBOX One, to the surprise of literally no one. If that happened yesterday or whenever isn't the point here.

End-of-generation XBOX has a tough time at their hardware department, and I suppose handing out discounts for GamePass like candy on a carneval helped a lot to maintain MAU numbers.

In that regard they really already became the Netflix of the video games industry, as in: "All that matters is our subs development, not how much profit we currently make, let's worry about that in the future!"

And as Tom rightfully said: It's a bet that this will turn into actual profits at some point. The thing with bets is you might lose them.

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
End-of generation XBOX has a tough time at their hardware department, and I suppose handing out discounts for GamePass like candy on a carneval helped a lot to maintain MAU numbers.
Indeed. It's also revealing that Microsoft notified shareholders it would stop providing Xbox Live MAU counts just ahead of a bigger push for Xbox Game Pass subs. It's a clever way to hide what's happening, as they have less than a year to test bundles, Xbox Game Pass numbers, and more ahead of Series X launch.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Exclusives matters...

putting your games everywhere won't help at all even with next gen is around they will not sale like PS4/5 and switch

in a moment you will get the new "2020 responses" ...
- Consoles sold does not matter anymore.
- This is why they go for subscriptions instead.
- They are well set for next gen because they are getting lots of subs to their services.
- Services are the future, not consoles.
- etc.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Exclusives matters...

We don't even know how Sony is going to do about that. It's quite possible it's only releasing games that have been out for quite some time just to creats hype before their sequels on their brand new hardware.
Also there's 2 distinct markets. A lot of people that play videogames on consoles don't play on PCs an vice versa.
It might affect hardware sales a bit but it won't be as much as some people might think honestly.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Even excluding the ~3 Million Nintendo Switch Lite units that shipped in Q3 for Nintendo, they would still have out sold the Xbox One.

Looking at sell through, it seems to be around 14 million+ Nintendo Switch units that sold across the last 2 quarters, with the shipped numbers only being about 15 and a half Million, it doesn't look like the channel was stuffed this time, which makes sense, as Nintendo is just shy of their previous FY numbers already and simply sold more than they were expecting to.

WW shipped numbers usually stay 1.5 to 2 Million above sold through numbers for both Nintendo and Sony, unless they stuff channels like last year.
in a moment you will get the new "2020 responses" ...
- Consoles sold does not matter anymore.
- This is why they go for subscriptions instead.
- They are well set for next gen because they are getting lots of subs to their services.
- Services are the future, not consoles.
- etc.
That is Microsoft's business for the past half decade, look at every Microsoft product, it's all been moving to services. This is Microsoft's goal and to deny it is just more console warrior mindset, I know a lot of you work in the industry and this is the gaming business, but take a real look at what is going on. Microsoft is selling Sony Xcloud services, they offered them to Nintendo, they are selling their games on Nintendo's platform and thought about bringing Halo to the Playstation 4 in the past.

Microsoft isn't selling you hardware, they are selling you their brand, their services, and giving you an option to play it on their hardware, where they traditionally don't even make much of a profit in the first place.

Oct 25, 2017
This is why people shouldn't even compare MS to Nintendo and Sony in this regard. I see some of those "next gen will be different and I can see MS making up a lot of ground" posts and it is quite unlikely. MS will do well in their key areas but that won't allow them to compete with Nintendo and Sony. The latter have WW markets that are on a different level.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
that's a hybrid

that's what it was designed to do. It doesn't become what it's used as. It is what it was designed to be
And my Samsung galaxy phone is a desktop hybrid since it has a dock that connects to a monitor. Its not a hybrid, its a 6 inch screen tablet handheld console that connects to a TV via a dock. I have a switch, it only goes in the dock to charge and I bet folks seldom use it in the dock.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
We don't even know how Sony is going to do about that. It's quite possible it's only releasing games that have been out for quite some time just to creats hype before their sequels on their brand new hardware.
Also there's 2 distinct markets. A lot of people that play videogames on consoles don't play on PCs an vice versa.
It might affect hardware sales a bit but it won't be as much as some people might think honestly.
i still don't belive that sony will release their flagship titles on PC even after jasen saying that and releasing them Day one their will affects the console...

i still don't believe sony will release their games on PC

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
So how much did the Xbox really sell? I assume from your tweets that you already know the number

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
And my Samsung galaxy phone is a desktop hybrid since it has a dock that connects to a monitor. Its not a hybrid, its a 6 inch screen tablet handheld console that connects to a TV via a dock. I have a switch, it only goes in the dock to charge and I bet folks seldom use it in the dock.
Based on the last stats we have about docked/undocked usage from the end of 2017, you'd be wrong

Edit: these stats from mid 2018 tell a similar story

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
We know Xbox was at 41M at the beginning of the year.

We know it sold 3M at the NPD.

We know the NPD is around 67% of total sales, so that means 2M for the rest of the world (being generous)

So we know the Xbox is at around 46M WW, give or take.

I think my math is sound

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Not surprising at all.

I'd expect Xbox One to finish around ~50M by the time all is said and done. This will be in part due to the 1~ year of non first-party exclusives, so the cheapest way to play their games next-gen would be to purchase an Xbox One S.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Switch sales (not shipments) passed the One last year.