• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

I found this to be very interesting. Anyone surprised that Switch managed to ship more consoles than Xbox in such a short amount of time?​

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
I found this to be very interesting. Anyone surprised that Switch managed to ship more consoles than Xbox in such a short amount of time?

Not really. Outside the US, Xbox is pretty weak (unlike the 360), if not a complete non-factor in some countries. Meanwhile, Switch is selling well in pretty much all markets (granted, some of them are definitely stronger than others).

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Not really surprised, I expected this. It sells a lot worldwide, the xbox only does sell well enough in certain territories.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Once it became clear the Switch was going to sell a ton, it outselling the Xbox One around this time was to be expected.

Xbox One will stop at slightly above 50M.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised. I thought for a while that the Xbox One would end up at around 50 Million once the gen ended.

HUGE turnaround from the Wii U. Really amazing.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I'm impressed they sold as many as they did given the start of the gen with a god awful message, weaker hardware, MCC fuckery and an almost absent first party besides Forza.

next gen should be easier for them. If they flounder there then yeah, woof.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
It was expected to have passed last year based on holiday performance prior and the current sale trajectory. Switch performance is great worldwide especially so in Japan which Xbox has no presence at all.It sold 10 million units by Nov last year in just that one region alone.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't even 3 years old yet, and it is about to outsell the 3DS's software LTD sales. wrap your heads around that one.

Also peak Wii and DS Q3's were both in 2009 where they sold just over 11 Million units a piece (Wii's price drop was just prior to that holiday from $249 to $199 in September), Switch just did 10.81 Million units in Q3 without a price drop. This year I'd expect the Switch to be the first Nintendo device to break 12 Million during the holiday quarter, as I expect a price drop before the launch of next gen consoles.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
what is the number of shipped switch machines then?

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i know.. what is the number (I am colorblind).. 50+millions?
52.48 Million units, which means they just passed the XB1 and SNES in LTD shipped numbers.
That is a really high bar, I don't see that happening, but it could sell above 100 million
Switch is basically should be the best seller on the market for the next 2 years, it will probably peak this year, putting it just shy of 80M, the following year shouldn't drop off hard because cross gen titles will be everywhere in 2021. It's going to be 2022 when Switch starts to cool off, though a Pro model could prevent this and a successor model is probably 3 or 4 years away anyways.

hanmik

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
52.48 Million units, which means they just passed the XB1 and SNES in LTD shipped numbers.

aha.. I just read yesterday that people were estimating that the Xbox One was over 60m. now.. if it really is around 50m.. then it "really" under performed.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
aha.. I just read yesterday that people were estimating that the Xbox One was over 60m. now.. if it really is around 50m.. then it "really" under performed.
this thread is pointing out that it outsold the XB1 in Daniel Ahmad's tweet, that is the name of the thread you are reading. Yeah XB1 was around 41M at the beginning of the year and sold less than 10 Million units, that isn't surprising, it's been under 10M a year for a while now.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
X1 should be few millions shy of 50 .imo it's not that bad . They went from 85 million to say 55 million. It's not ps2 to ps3 bad

OT
I honestly expected it . Amazing for switch though

hanmik

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
this thread is pointing out that it outsold the XB1 in Daniel Ahmad's tweet, that is the name of the thread you are reading. Yeah XB1 was around 41M at the beginning of the year and sold less than 10 Million units, that isn't surprising, it's been under 10M a year for a while now.

sorry for being a bit "strange".. I know what this thread is about. lol
I just wanted to see if we could get a better number of shipped XB1 units than we have.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How does it compare to PS4 launch aligned?
But congrats to Nintendo, what an awesome comeback after wiiu disaster the Switch is

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
X1 should be few millions shy of 50 .imo it's not that bad . They went from 85 million to say 55 million. It's not ps2 to ps3 bad

OT
I honestly expected it . Amazing for switch though
XB1 will end it's life around 50M maybe as much as 52M but I believe it's around 47-48 Million right now. You are right it isn't that bad, it's about to outsell the SNES. Microsoft's focus has shifted to subscription user base though, so don't expect them to care super badly about how many XSX consoles they sell, they will be happy with 60 Million if they can get 150 Million Game Pass users.
sorry for being a bit "strange".. I know what this thread is about. lol
I just wanted to see if we could get a better number of shipped XB1 units than we have.
No need to apologize, I actually copied the link to Daniel's tweet before I realized that was the thread I was in and so I just pointed out the OP.

Honestly, I don't think Microsoft is in a bad place, I'd be pretty excited about my future if I was them, and I'm certainly looking forward to all these first party titles they are working on.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017

You call it "under performed", I call it "turn-arounded", given how disastrous its start was.

Imagine how much money Nintendo could make if they had a proper network & subscription model...

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Alright people, there it is.
The Xbox One should be at 45-50 millions by now.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
How does it compare to PS4 launch aligned?
But congrats to Nintendo, what an awesome comeback after wiiu disaster the Switch is
After 12 Quarters on the market, the PS4 had sold 47.4 Million units, Switch is at 52.5 Million units, but the 13th Quarter put the PS4 at 57.1 Million units, launch aligned PS4 has a few more weeks on the market, but if Switch can hit 57 Million units by March 31st 2020 this year, they will be simply ahead of the PS4 and we can stop using asterisks whenever this question is brought up.
For the gaming section yes, but for Xbox hardware not really, which is unfortunate.
Microsoft has shifted focus from selling xbox hardware to selling xbox services, they believe there is a limit of 100 Million hardware consoles that can be sold maybe a bit more, but they believe that the limit for a game service like netflix is 10 times as big, and they might be right.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, well deserved. Crazy how the industry is so big now that all of these different platforms can be successful and healthy all at the same time.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, well deserved. Crazy how the industry is so big now that all of these different platforms can be successful and healthy all at the same time.
There has always been a successful Sony and Successful Nintendo platform on the market at the same time, Switch is really a handheld that can be used like a console, and they have always done well with their handhelds. Not knocking the Switch, it's actually my favorite gaming platform of all time now.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Once it became clear the Switch was going to sell a ton, it outselling the Xbox One around this time was to be expected.

Xbox One will stop at slightly above 50M.
Yeah, once you could see the writing on the wall it wasn't a surprise.

But God damn, is it a revelation for this gen between Nintendo and MS.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
There has always been a successful Sony and Successful Nintendo platform on the market at the same time, Switch is really a handheld that can be used like a console, and they have always done well with their handhelds. Not knocking the Switch, it's actually my favorite gaming platform of all time now.
Yeah true, the game boy line and ds line both sold well over 100m, then the Playstation home consoles were always up there as well.

I guess the traditional video game market, aka non iOS and Android Market is around 300-400 million between the handhelds, consoles and PCs. Maybe more.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Microsoft has shifted focus from selling xbox hardware to selling xbox services, they believe there is a limit of 100 Million hardware consoles that can be sold maybe a bit more, but they believe that the limit for a game service like netflix is 10 times as big, and they might be right.

If they sold 100m Xbox One they wouldn't have shifted their focus in the way they did. it would've been big enough userbase for them to target with subs + mobile.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
If they sold 100m Xbox One they wouldn't have shifted their focus in the way they did. it would've been big enough userbase for them to target with subs + mobile.
Eh idk about that. Microsoft as a whole has moved towards a user centric approach to all of their products. Aka, cloud focused, client independent. Follow the user wherever. So I think Xbox going this way was inevitable, or if Xbox didn't go that route, Microsoft wouldn't be in the gaming business in the future since that is the way the rest of their company is going. (really already there, the xbox group is just playing catch up.)

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
It's a hybrid

it's both

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I have seen people say the Xbox is around 40-50 million in sales for like 3 years now lol.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
It's a hybrid

it's both
It's not a hybrid if I don't use the dock right? In japan since 2017, you've been able to buy it at ~$240 without a dock, was it still a hybrid system?

I'm not knocking the Switch, but the PSP and Nomad were able to play on the TV before too right? What I said is that the Nintendo Switch is a portable that can be used as a home console, that makes it both, but it is clearly a portable device.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Nintendo are doing really well for them selves. For the the way Xbox has done this gen, their strategy just makes sense for them.

Sony and Nintendo are my preferred corners of the market but i havent bought a switch yet. I keep thinking i will do it with a price drop but i keep thinking they will release an upgraded model rigth when i decide to buy one. PS5 coming up this year too....man...

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017

I have seen people say the Xbox is around 40-50 million in sales for like 3 years now lol.

I'd trust someone who has access to sales numbers like Daniel, over Tom Warren. Not knocking Tom Warren, but Microsoft doesn't directly report these numbers, so it's very unlikely that he would know unless it was his job to dig through sales numbers (that he doesn't directly have access to, like Daniel). XB1 sales is ~2 million short of 50M, as best as I can gather, but that isn't some giant failure, it's going to sell over twice what the OG Xbox did.

Last edited:

hanmik

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'd trust someone who has access to sales numbers like Daniel, over Tom Warren. Not knocking Tom Warren, but Microsoft doesn't directly report these numbers, so it's very unlikely that he would know unless it was his job to dig through sales numbers (that he doesn't directly have access to, like Daniel). XB1 sales are 1 or 2 million short of XB1, as best as I can gather, but that isn't some giant failure, it's going to sell over twice what the OG Xbox did.

we could ask him... looks like he has an Era Account tomwarren

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I'd trust someone who has access to sales numbers like Daniel, over Tom Warren. Not knocking Tom Warren, but Microsoft doesn't directly report these numbers, so it's very unlikely that he would know unless it was his job to dig through sales numbers (that he doesn't directly have access to, like Daniel). XB1 sales are 1 or 2 million short of XB1, as best as I can gather, but that isn't some giant failure, it's going to sell over twice what the OG Xbox did.

It was 41 millions end of 2018, the console is probably behind of Switch by 4 to 5 millions consoles.

Oct 31, 2017
I found this to be very interesting. Anyone surprised that Switch managed to ship more consoles than Xbox in such a short amount of time?
Nope, Xbox has been struggling for a while the Switch took off like a rocket. MS still hasn't been able to shake off the funk they've had since launch and despite gaining goodwill it hasn't translated much to sales.