• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It is nice looking but damn Analouge why you gotta do this when I'm pinching pennies for a Pocket?

Not like I needed a second Mega Sg anyway :P

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, a Sega Megadrive clone that has a Hyperdub album with an exclusive Burial track on a cart is EXTREMELY MY JAM. Trying not to get too drawn into it, but, eh, how much is shipping to Europe for one of these things?

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, a Sega Megadrive clone that has a Hyperdub album with an exclusive Burial track on a cart is EXTREMELY MY JAM. Trying not to get too drawn into it, but, eh, how much is shipping to Europe for one of these things?

Standard SG was $50 shipping. If you're in UK there are additional customs charges too.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Received the Hyperdub ver for Christmas. Don't like the UI as much, but the cart is incredible. Super happy and grateful.

So, I grew up a Genesis kid but find the SNES stuff waaaay more playable today. With that in mind, I need a Genesis game now so any recommendations for something that's really "playable?" Thought about doing Sonic Spinball for nostalgic reasons (the Genesis with Sonic 1 pack-in is the first console I ever purchased with my own cash, but Spinball is the first game I ever purchased with my own money), but it wasn't even really all that good at the time.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
Received the Hyperdub ver for Christmas. Don't like the UI as much, but the cart is incredible. Super happy and grateful.

So, I grew up a Genesis kid but find the SNES stuff waaaay more playable today. With that in mind, I need a Genesis game now so any recommendations for something that's really "playable?" Thought about doing Sonic Spinball for nostalgic reasons (the Genesis with Sonic 1 pack-in is the first console I ever purchased with my own cash, but Spinball is the first game I ever purchased with my own money), but it wasn't even really all that good at the time.

Is the UI of the console different to the normal Mega SG then?

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I got my Mega SG for Christmas and played Genesis and SMS games all day yesterday. I've installed the latest firmware and gotten my scanline settings dialed in how I like them. I'm using 8bitdo M30 with the Genesis adapter and it's worked flawlessly so far. Only thing I haven't tried yet is hooking up the Sega CD. I guess the next step is to pick up the DAC when it's back in stock so I can get my 32X working.

My only disappointment is that the JB MegaSG doesn't support dumping your games to the SD like the SuperNT does. I assumed it did but that's what you get for assuming.

Does anyone consider selling their old hardware when they get these new Analogue FPGA models? I thought about selling my old NES/SNES/Genesis for a few seconds since I doubt I'll use them much anymore but ultimately decided I'd probably regret it at some point so I suppose they will just sit in the closet. If the DAC doesn't work with my CRT to my satisfaction that might be a reason to keep them around.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I got my Mega SG for Christmas and played Genesis and SMS games all day yesterday. I've installed the latest firmware and gotten my scanline settings dialed in how I like them. I'm using 8bitdo M30 with the Genesis adapter and it's worked flawlessly so far. Only thing I haven't tried yet is hooking up the Sega CD. I guess the next step is to pick up the DAC when it's back in stock so I can get my 32X working.

My only disappointment is that the JB MegaSG doesn't support dumping your games to the SD like the SuperNT does. I assumed it did but that's what you get for assuming.

Does anyone consider selling their old hardware when they get these new Analogue FPGA models? I thought about selling my old NES/SNES/Genesis for a few seconds since I doubt I'll use them much anymore but ultimately decided I'd probably regret it at some point so I suppose they will just sit in the closet. If the DAC doesn't work with my CRT to my satisfaction that might be a reason to keep them around.

Funny enough 32X caused me to double back and buy an original model 2 Genesis. Since that's much cheaper than buying a DAC just for 32X compatibility, that and cheap Genesis consoles are readily available and the DAC isn't.

Also now I have a setup where I can just run everything without having to fiddle with removing the 32X when I want to play Master System or run Sega CD games off the Mega SD.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone consider selling their old hardware when they get these new Analogue FPGA models?
I've definitely strongly considered it but decided to just box them up as well. There is still the rare occasion where I want to pull out original hardware to confirm things. These are the primary way I play these games now though. Above software emulation, above original hardware, which is the highest compliment I can give.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Almost a year later. 🤣
Well, looks like I may finally buy a Mega Sg.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
better late than never. The jailbreak has kinda made this a moot point for me, but i have a dufflebag of game gear games i'd definitely use the adapter for.

i keep thinking about biting the bullet on the DAC but its $98 after shipping...

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I received mine this morning. Freakin' FedEx with the $25 of Duty...

TFW u don't got a CRT or PMV tho :(

Edit: Hmm the manual suggests that the video out is VGA but it doesn't seem to work with my monitors that support VGA.

Last edited:

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
Completely forgotten I'd ordered this.

Now starts the search for a VGA to RGB scart cable for this currently very pretty but very expensive bookend!

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I received mine this morning. Freakin' FedEx with the $25 of Duty...

TFW u don't got a CRT or PMV tho :(

Edit: Hmm the manual suggests that the video out is VGA but it doesn't seem to work with my monitors that support VGA.

Sorry but why would you want the DAC if you didn't have a CRT or PVM? - even if an LCD monitor understands the analog signal its internal scaler is going to be absolute garbage compared to the stock HDMI output of the Super NT/Mega SG/NT Mini.

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
At the time the original pre-orders went up I had assumed I would have found a CRT/PVM by the time the DAC would get shipped.

Now I'm broke and don't know when I'd get a proper monitor... but on the plus side I already have one so it's nice for when I do finally get a decent monitor for retro games.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
At the time the original pre-orders went up I had assumed I would have found a CRT/PVM by the time the DAC would get shipped.

Now I'm broke and don't know when I'd get a proper monitor... but on the plus side I already have one so it's nice for when I do finally get a decent monitor for retro games.

Ah that makes sense.

I know the pain of hunting for a PVM. I only scored my 20L2 by accident.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
These guys really need to do something about their shipping rates. They're 3 tiny pieces of plastic. I'm in NYC, not Guam.
Xg0JwsE.png

When it was a console, I understood. With this (and the DAC) though? I get that they're small and they can't get the bulk discount rates the big guys do but surely there must be some alternative here.

Oct 27, 2017
$50 is a bit expensive for what they are, but I guess I'm in anyway.

I thought I had it bad with my $18 shipping, but seeing everyone else's makes me think I got lucky.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
With the adapters and the DAC bringing 32x support does this bring hardware feature parity for everything Sega put out before the Saturn or am I forgetting something?

Ninja Edit: besides Nomad..

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Is there any reason to think these adapters will sell out/be out of stock for a prolonged amount of time? I don't have an Sg yet but was thinking about grabbing these while they're available.

If I wait though I can get them at the same time as an Sg and combine shipping.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any reason to think these adapters will sell out/be out of stock for a prolonged amount of time? I don't have an Sg yet but was thinking about grabbing these while they're available.

If I wait though I can get them at the same time as an Sg and combine shipping.

I'd imagine that would depend on how much demand there is. If they have trouble selling out the initial run it'd probably be hard to justify a second run.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Oh cool. I was working and didn't see the tweet, and then missed out.

Then again with that bundle and shipping prices being what they are, I'm almost relieved.

They've got good products, I won't deny them that, but I find myself wondering how soon they'll start cutting corners on their hardware to make an extra buck.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
They are already cutting corners by leaving bugs to persist while they move on to the next big thing.

Yep. Between the DAC, the adapter bundle, and the upcoming Pocket, they'll nab a cool $60 on shipping too. Guess that's one way to celebrate/explore the history of video games with the respect it deserves.