• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Heads up, NT Mini on ebay with a $800 buy it now. They usually go for $1500. Only downside is it has no box.

dantès

Alt Account
Banned
Sep 24, 2019
Don't forget that it's not just the cost of the DAC + shipping but you'll also need to get a custom cable because it doesn't come with one. If you're going to use composite on a consumer CRT you're probably better off using real SNES and Genesis consoles.

Why exactly? Cost?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah. Paying for the DAC + ordering the cable you'd need just to use composite video on a consumer CRT seems like a huge waste of money if you have original hardware sitting around. That's a lot of money to use a shitty (in comparison to s-video or RGB) video connection either way.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
I finally took the plunge and ordered both the Mega Sg and Super Nt last night. I'm pretty excited to get them and play around with them! Also looking forward to their Pocket coming out. I have a ton of GBA and NeoGeo Pocket carts ready for it.

But what's up with the NT Mini? Does anyone know if they plan on making more? I read in one of their blogs that it was a very difficult process to produce.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
But what's up with the NT Mini? Does anyone know if they plan on making more? I read in one of their blogs that it was a very difficult process to produce.
The Nt mini in its previous form is never being made again. Analogue did file a patent for the "Analogue 8" at the same time they did for the "Analogue Pocket". Most think the 8 is a cheaper version of the Nt mini more in line with the Super Nt and Mega Sg but we'll have to wait and see what they finally do.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
The Nt mini in its previous form is never being made again. Analogue did file a patent for the "Analogue 8" at the same time they did for the "Analogue Pocket". Most think the 8 is a cheaper version of the Nt mini more in line with the Super Nt and Mega Sg but we'll have to wait and see what they finally do.

Ah, thanks for the info! eBay NT Mini prices are out of my range, so hopefully they come out with a new version. I'm sure it would sell, as long as the quality is there.

Oct 27, 2017
Has there been any word on the adapters for Game Gear and other carts?

I hope that they aren't going to cancel them now that they've moved on to a dedicated hand held system.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Has there been any word on the adapters for Game Gear and other carts?

I hope that they aren't going to cancel them now that they've moved on to a dedicated hand held system.
What's odd is that they supposedly referenced the Mega Sg cartridge adapters in an interview or something recently as though they'd already released them.

Hey MegaSG owners~ Have any of you picked up the Genesis/MegaDrive Mini?
If so, how do you feel they compare?
There really is no comparison. Mega Sg is unquestionably more accurate, though I think the Genesis Mini is a really solid product for people who want decent emulation (albeit with some noticeable audio delay) and a lot of great games built right in.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I finally bothered to order one of these (and a Super NT) because I'm tired of hauling around a ton of dedicated analog upscaling equipment to events. I don't mind sorting out that mess of wires behind my own entertainment center if it's going to stay there, but man has it gotten old redoing my setup whenever I have to take some of it on the road.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
There really is no comparison. Mega Sg is unquestionably more accurate, though I think the Genesis Mini is a really solid product for people who want decent emulation (albeit with some noticeable audio delay) and a lot of great games built right in.
My TV has a low ms rating so I don't feel hardly a difference when I play most games on Super NT vs SNESc.
I haven't played Gen/MD games on a CRT in such a long time that the Mini feels totally fine to me so I've been wondering if I really will notice a difference playing on the Mega SG. Perhaps not (oh FOMO).

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Firmware 4.7 just dropped, Cartridge adapters mentioned? Rise from their graves??

- 32X support added in DAC mode
- Cartridge/CD audio selection fixed. Checking 'enable cartridge and CD audio' will work now regardless of the 'automatic' setting checkbox.
- 32X is detected and will enable audio by default.
- Chuck Rock CD is now working.
- Many CD fixes- NHL 94, Willy Beamish, and other games now work.
- Zesenilia demo text fixed.
- Turbo Outrun graphics seem to be fixed.
- Audio pitch shifting on some games in zero delay mode fixed.
- Support for cartridge adapters added.
- Game Gear adapter supports the tuner now.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Soo is there going to be a jailbreak equivalent for this new firmware? Last update the jailbreak was out the day after

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
!! Wow, that game looks awesome... I saw it on switch and kept thinking 'I wish this was on sega genesis'. Wonderful.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Adapters are apparently incoming.

giphy.gif

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Funny timing, I just checked in seconds ago to see if any updates and thought, "I guess there are still 2 days left in the week..."

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I believe SmokeMonster is traveling, or not at home, so the jailbreak delay is probably due to that.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I mean SmokeMonster isn't the one actually making the Jailbreaks, you guys all know that right? He just pushes them on the github, they all come from Kevtris.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I considered putting a joke in there but it feels played out at this point.

The real joke appears to be that we were getting some adapter news this week.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I could have sworn in one of the discords Kevtris or some one said that the dock was releasing at the same time as the pocket and the TBA part was the price, but I could be wrong.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I mean SmokeMonster isn't the one actually making the Jailbreaks, you guys all know that right? He just pushes them on the github, they all come from Kevtris.
Yes. I considered putting a joke in there but it feels played out at this point.

The real joke appears to be that we were getting some adapter news this week.
Yah~ Though for the longest time it almost seemed as if those two were one in the same, at least for those who didn't follow curated ROMs etc.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
We will figure out the identity of that crafty hacker sirtvek one day but until we do I just thank them.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Apologies if this comes off as self-promotion somehow, but I figured the regulars here might be interested to see 32X footage captured from a Mega Sg in action:

This was recorded from a Mega Sg running through an early DAC build and a custom Retro Access cable. It looks fantastic and sounds… about as good as a 32X cart's hyper-compressed sampled audio can sound. Lack of 32X support was a big drawback at the Mega Sg's launch, so it's great to see the system continuing to evolve with wider peripheral support well after launch.

I've tested both the latest official and jailbreak firmware with this, and they both work without a hitch. I was able to boot 32X ROMs from both a Mega Everdrive and a Mega SD cart, though direct loading from the jailbreak's core file browser does NOT work. This also doesn't resolve the fact that a Mega SD plugged into a 32X can't boot Sega CD games, so until someone comes up with an expansion port connector solution for the Mega SD, you'll have to swap setups if you want to alternate between 32X and Sega CD via Mega SD.

Finally, I have a CD 32X game on the way to see if the Mega Sg/32X/Sega CD combo works properly (I don't see why it wouldn't).

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
This was recorded from a Mega Sg running through an early DAC build and a custom Retro Access cable. It looks fantastic and sounds… about as good as a 32X cart's hyper-compressed sampled audio can sound. Lack of 32X support was a big drawback at the Mega Sg's launch, so it's great to see the system continuing to evolve with wider peripheral support well after launch.
Very cool. Can you run me through the cable setup. It has been a very long time since I've messed with a 32X.

HDMI out from the SG to the DAC.
Custom cable from the DAC to the 32x?
32X out to TV/Recording?

Something like that?

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Yep, you basically have it. It goes like:

32X seated in Mega Sg
Mega Sg outputs Genesis signal via HDMI to DAC
DAC converts Genesis signal to analog
DAC outputs analog Genesis video/audio signal into 32X
32X combines Genesis signal with 32X signal
32X outputs combined signal to TV/capture kit

Or: 32X > Mega Sg > DAC > 32X > TV

I plan to put together a blog post once I do a CD 32X test that will include a diagram. It's a relatively complicated process... I was only able to get it up and running myself with the help of others.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't want to make a new topic just for this but Shinobi 3 really takes a sharp turn into not fun at Traps. I haven't Seinfielded out a game in a while.