• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Well as of today I just hit 2 weeks since I "pre-ordered" one of these. Let's see if they get the second crate in next week or not ! Got an everdrive X5 showing up in the next week or so as well. SEGA

I ordered mine a week and a half ago and still no update to my order. I've been checking my inbox like a half a dozen times a day for an update. I NEED IT

Godai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just decided to check on my problem, thanks for all the help guys! Gonna go back to 4.2 for now.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
It was reported to the GitHub as well. Comments saying passthrough fixes it until actually fixed. Not near my Sg, is passthrough a setting in the menu somewhere? Don't recall seeing it but I'm sure I'm just being forgetful.

https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Mega-Sg-Jailbreak/issues/6
Oh yeah. That does make 2P have a 6 button controller.

It's under setting->system->hotkeys. I'm able to use the controller test tool by having it running before I enabled it, but when you enable it it kicks you out of the menu and you can't get back in to select a core or run cartridge. You basically have to go in the menu and enable (then soft-reset) it when you already have a game or the tool running, and then when you do a power-cycle it'll be off again (or hold down the reset button). I do see have 6-button controllers working in Eternal Champions now this way though (as if I needed it).

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I was curious so looked it up in the reference manual. I wonder how much lag it introduces. Sounds like if turning it on causes you no issues and you are trying to squeeze every ms of response out then enabling is the way to go.

edit: yeah, minor hassle to need to hold the reset to get back in the menu. Probably not worth the bother for casual play but good to know about if, like I said, you want to squeeze every ms possible.

Passthrough Mode – If you are having trouble with an unusual peripheral or wish to disable all Mega Sg controller compatibility processing and eliminate a tiny amount of latency required by that processing, enable this mode. You can disable the Passthrough Mode by pressing the reset button down for two seconds. The state of this option will not be saved when you Save Settings. This is more likely to be useful for the Sega Master System Core, see the Master System section

Last edited:

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Kinda maddening how the Everdrive save states work. Ie "sometimes". I've been working my way through Ristar and made a save state at the beginning of the snow(?) level. Crashed the game and now it won't load from that save point at all. I don't really have the time to sit down for as long as a lot of these games demand when they don't have proper save modes. Shinobi 3 simply doesn't work at all with them.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, save states on hardware have always been a bit of a pipe dream. Pretty sure that is why they have hesitated adding it to the sd2snes as it will never be 100%

Main thing I plan to use it for is practicing sections so it not working sometimes is an annoyance but not the end of the world. Definitely a bummer if you are looking at it for bookmarking progress.

It did sound like people were having success with the confirming the snap thing from that other thread. I'll try and experiment with it more today and see if I can figure out any clearer way to make it more consistent.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Excuse the double post but I think I get what is being suggested. No idea how this helps but following the instructions exactly does give the same results so maybe it will help reduce broken save states? Here are the steps with my comments of what I saw.

1. Save state < Opened ED menu, selected "Save State"
2. Exit game < Opened ED menu again, select Back To Menu
3. Check preview of snap file < Navigated to /MEGA/SNAP. No .sav file was present for the game. I'm guessing this is because it was the first save state I made.
4. Load the exact same game up again < Hit C, opened recent games list, loaded game back up
5. Exit a second time < Waited a few seconds and quit back to menu again
6. Check preview of snap a second time < .sav was in the SNAP folder. Selecting and previewing it showed exactly where I had made the save state.

From here I opened the game back up and loaded the save state without issue. I'll keep doing this and experimenting but so far it seems to make it stick and load successfully? In any case it looks like it does force the ED to fully dump the save state. I would guess that the auto-dumper does some sort of polling that can occasionally take time or lock up and if you power down before it finished you end up with a corrupted save state. This forces it so you always end up with a complete working save state. I think? I guess?

edit: Wonder Boy is creating a corrupted save state every single time. Good for testing, throwing whatever I can think at it.

Last edited:

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the thread about braging rights and showing off our Megadrive collection? :p

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't imgur now leave a border qith a watermark?

I think it depends on how you post it/what bbcodes you use. i don't think they do if you just use the regular IMG codes or the IMG share link imgur provides.

testing with some random gif I've been holding onto for absolutely no reason at all...
iVUz0Jd.gif

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Japanese carts only
Pal cart only
US cart only (I know I have a few of those boxed but I can't get my hands on them, some friend must have them)
Japanese boxed 1
Japanese boxed 2
Genesis boxed 1
Genesis boxed 2
Pal boxed

Sorry for the poor picture quality. The Mega drive is my favorite console right before the Saturn (but still behind the Amiga :p)

I'm missing quite a few games which leads me to believe some of them are still around somewhere either in the house (doubtful) or at someone's place (much more likely)

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Nice collection ! So out of curiosity did anyone get around to testing out Xmen with the game reset section ? does it work properly ? how about when loading the game off an everdrive ? it's just about the only game I can think of that could potentially end up with any kind of issue and a quick google search yeilded little.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Ouch, those labels. That's a tricky one.

Depends on the state of the labels, but I think it's possible you successfully remove the tape safely, the most damage expected on the first and last cartridges.
A little heat from a hair dryer will remove that tape.

Also fuck loose Sega games. I honestly have no idea how that even became a thing. Was it like GameStop taking DS boxes and tossing them to save space?

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
New Mega SG Firmware is released.

https://twitter.com/analogue/status/1117773768544243712

- Sega CD - adjusted timing for several games, i.e. Micky Mania
- Overdrive 2 demo border cropping fix
- X-men 2 character select fixed
- Fixed player 2 XYZ (6 buttons) bug
- Allow no controller on player 2
- SMS fixes for X7 and flash everdrive
- You now stay in the file browser when selecting a font
- Changed "hotkeys" to "hotkeys & controllers"

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
I played through quite a bit of Greendog on Friday. I had a blast. I think I made it to the subway before having to turn it off. I'll need to game genie my way back to that level and finish it sometime soon.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Mega SG video settings on behalf of a fallen, victim to the snap!

I was very confused about his width settings so I dug in and realized the scaling values/calculation changed between the Super Nt and the Mega Sg. For no clearly discernible reason that I can tell. So when he says it is different which just makes it more confusing I am in complete agreement.

Running the numbers on the actual rendering frame (272x240) I come to the exact same numbers he did so, yeah, I'd say the video settings look good. Don't trust the 4:3 for 16:9 setting on the Sg like you could on the Super Nt. I don't know what calculation it is using but as far I can tell it is just plain wrong.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
Ecstatic to report Mickey Mania is indeed working on Sega CD. I played through the first three stages with no issues on my Model 2. The game would previously reboot itself randomly and I could barely make it out of the first level on older firmware.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Does the SD card reader support sdxc card?
It only supports up to 32 GB so you will need to download a utility that can format it to FAT32. If you are picking up a new card might as well save a few bucks and just get a 32 GB card. If trying to use one you already have then yeah, gonna have to format it.

basic_element

Oct 25, 2017
It only supports up to 32 GB so you will need to download a utility that can format it to FAT32. If you are picking up a new card might as well save a few bucks and just get a 32 GB card. If trying to use one you already have then yeah, gonna have to format it.
thanks, I assume speed doesn't matter? The 95mb is double the price of a 80mb transfer speed

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been 100% paying attention to all the issues. Any ideas what this addresses? I don't see further details in the user guide or the original analogue update.

- SMS fixes for X7 and flash everdrive

thanks, I assume speed doesn't matter? The 95mb is double the price of a 80mb transfer speed
I'm not actually sure if it is able to take advantage of faster speeds. FWIW I use a 60 MB/s card and have never heard of anyone having issues much with cards so I'm sure the 80 will work fine.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been 100% paying attention to all the issues. Any ideas what this addresses? I don't see further details in the user guide or the original analogue update.
I haven't really been following either, but according to this thread:
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=kl53g976vndjs9gfloicld3hk2&topic=8713.0

it appears there were issues running SMS games from a MegaDrive X7 for some people. Possibly related from having the BIOS files on the card.

from post in that thread said:
As far as the bios are concerned, they may have been bad. I noticed though that SmokeMonster posted this tweet a few hours after my forum post, "Mega Sg PSA: If you're using a Mega EverDrive and can't boot SMS ROMs, delete any SMS BIOS stored in /MEGA. This is a temporary workaround and a fix is being worked on." This implies to me that it was a known issue on the Mega Sg and would affect anyone, regardless of whether their bios were valid or not.

Godai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hooked up my Sega CD Gen 1, and it's dead. Freezes at BIOS screen... ugh, I don't want to go through repairing this thing.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I need to open up my model 1 Sega CD and figure out what's wrong with it as well. It doesn't power on, and it causes weird things to happen on the Genesis whenever it's hooked up. For example, my Everdrive has difficulty reading the SD card if and only if the Sega CD is connected. It's weird.

Godai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
R.I.P.

I wonder how much it would cost to fix and what's broken. Can the disc spin?

Disc won't spin, lights don't come on. Reading around, it's pretty common. Going to have to order a kit and try fixing it myself. I got this one cheap only a few years ago and it worked at the time.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
R.I.P.

I wonder how much it would cost to fix and what's broken. Can the disc spin?

Let me recommend Mobius Strip Technologies. He's online and price is reasonable. Chris just repaired my Model 1 and did a great job. Recapped, new belt, and all cleaned up. Works as good as new and will now last me years.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Heeeeeeey soooo, here I am, at what would be a few clicks from buying it.

Few things I'd like to know:

-As I have all my collection backed up via my Retrode, I now can put all those on the SD card and be read from there by the Mega SG now, right?

-Can you have an 'SD card save' by playing via a cartridge, let's say a Shining Force copy for which the battery is dead, or do I need to play via the .bin file for that to happen?

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Heeeeeeey soooo, here I am, at what would be a few clicks from buying it.

Few things I'd like to know:

-As I have all my collection backed up via my Retrode, I now can put all those on the SD card and be read from there by the Mega SG now, right?

-Can you have an 'SD card save' by playing via a cartridge, let's say a Shining Force copy for which the battery is dead, or do I need to play via the .bin file for that to happen?

First question: only with jailbroken firmware.

Second question: I don't think so, I think you have to play via the ROM on SD card.

Oct 27, 2017
Hooked up my Sega CD Gen 1, and it's dead. Freezes at BIOS screen... ugh, I don't want to go through repairing this thing.

Maybe it's just the fuse, or something simple.

Mine was giving me issues and it turned out the power connector was just so dirty the power supply wasn't making contact. Some Deoxit fixed it right up.

I hope yours ends up being something just as simple.