• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of my Megadrive collection is from back when it was on the market. My SNES collection is probably 30/70 in favour of what I had back in the day. I shouldn't really be complaining but it would be really nice to own some MD Turtles and other Konami bangers :(

Konami games are so good on Genesis/MD... Rocket Knight, Sparkster, Turtles, Contra, Castlevania.

Treat yourself every now and then if you can afford it I say. :)

Just find yourself a stacked tape deck and you are set.

2utpsh6gefr21.jpg

Jesus fucking Christ, my heart. :(

This will be a bitch to remove without ripping anything off, if not impossible.

Fuck tape, fuck it so hard.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fucking Christ, my heart. :(

This will be a bitch to remove without ripping anything off, if not impossible.

Fuck tape, fuck it so hard.
Blow dryer, a lot of patience and care and goo gone for the residue. :/ It's the rushing that gets you when trying to get that shit off but I've done it way too many times. I've removed "permanent" marker from labels, too. I generally can't stand all of the shit these stores used to put on carts...ugh.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Just tape Mortal Kombat II to Jurassic Park and make it a wheel of fun.

Or a bitchin' spike bracelet.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I am electing to live in denial and will pretend that the tape is actually just really tight clingfilm.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Ouch, those labels. That's a tricky one.

Depends on the state of the labels, but I think it's possible you successfully remove the tape safely, the most damage expected on the first and last cartridges.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Has anyone here replaced their buttons on the Sg? They sent me the wrong version, and I was okay keeping it if they sent me the US buttons, which they finally did. However they were supposed to send an install guide with it, which they didn't.

Just wondering, before I crack this thing open, do I need to be aware of anything in particular?

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Goodwill rules. I picked up a Genesis 2 there for $8 about a month ago (no cables or controllers) and with a little cleaning, the thing ran like brand new

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone else experienced issues with save states on the Mega Everdrive X7? They often crash the game and leave my save state unusable. Since it replaces the prior save state, I might as well never use this feature at all.

I feel like I wasted $170 on this stupid thing because I knew a jailbreak was coming but I wanted save states and to sav with resetting my console and I simply can't do either.

Edit: My Sega CD often acts weird with it attached. Total crap shoot whether I can even use it as a ram cart.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
This is ridiculous.

Ever since this was announced/released I've been telling myself that I wouldn't cave, I already have two genesis consoles, a PC capable enough to run those games on a perfectly capable emulator, a Retrode to rip my library to PC...

Yet it's there, the fucking lust for a Mega SG, watching tons of reviews praising the thing.

And now? It's been two weeks I've been obsessed at upgrading my Genesis collection and probably already spent the amount necessary to buy a Mega SG on fucking games I noticed were missing from my collection. In the last two weeks I bought:

-Castle of Illusion (Complete)
-World of Illusion (Complete)
-Outrun (W/box)
-Shining in the Darkness (Complete)
-Shinobi III (Complete)
-Ecco (Complete)
-Phantasy Star II (w/box and mini strategy guide)
-Mega Bomberman (cart only, because those fucking carton box are hard to get)
-Space Harrier 2 (Complete)

Now planning a road trip with my GF on Sunday to go get:

-Street of Rage 3 (w/box...to complete dat trilogy)
-Aladdin (w/box)
-Mortal Kombat 3 (w/box...to complete dat trilogy)
-Virtua Racing (w/box...but the box is in absolutely disastrous state...cart is ok though)

It's coming right? Imma cave like a bitch and buy it, it's too obvious.

I won't lie, it feels great, it's been years since I bought so much retro stuff, it reminds me my old gaming hunts. :D
Tell me about it. I already owned 20+ Genesis games from my childhood, but I was still sorely missing key games that felt essential to having in my library. I have bought the following since the release of the SG (all CIB):

Aladdin, Streets of Rage 2, TMNT Hyperstone Heist, Gunstar Heroes, Contra Hard Corps, Rocket Knight Adventures, Ecco, Adventures of Batman and Robin, Sonic Spinball, Earthworm Jim, Sonic 3, and S&K.

Could've bought 2 or 3 Mega SGs with what that cost.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone else experienced issues with save states on the Mega Everdrive X7? They often crash the game and leave my save state unusable. Since it replaces the prior save state, I might as well never use this feature at all.

I feel like I wasted $170 on this stupid thing because I knew a jailbreak was coming but I wanted save states and to sav with resetting my console and I simply can't do either.
I haven't messed much with save states but still haven't had any issues with reset saves here. What games have you been playing?

Found this thread, might be worth a read through. Maybe got a bum battery? No idea what the SNAP business they are talking about though. Seems like some positive outcomes there.

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8328.0

Last edited:

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't messed much with save states but still haven't had any issues with reset saves here. What games have you been playing?

Found this thread, might be worth a read through. Maybe got a bum battery? No idea what the SNAP business they are talking about though. Seems like some positive outcomes there.

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8328.0
Hmm. I don't know what they mean by SNAP either. I don't have an issue with my Everdrive loading old saves, so long as I reset first. If I don't reset first then yeah, it'll load an old save.

What I'm experiencing now is that the game crashes pulling up the Everdrive menu. If I save state that way, then my save state is bunk, but I have no way of knowing my save state is non-functional until I exit the menu and...am just staring at a screen that's a single color.

Pulling up the menu is a problem I have with every game I've played. Still only relying on Wonder Boy in Monster World for save files though. Haven't tied any others.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Master System or Mega Drive version?
Mega Drive. US Genesis version if that matters. I think it might use EEPROM saves? Also don't know if that matters.

Edit: of course now that I mention the save state issue I can now pull up the Everdrive menu just fine with no issue. Lol. 🤷‍♂️ It usually strikes at random when I need it most.

Edit again: wait, no, the HUD disappeared. Playing McDonald's Treasureland Adventure. Just bizarre. Loading a save state doesn't bring it back, seems baked into this save state.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tell me about it. I already owned 20+ Genesis games from my childhood, but I was still sorely missing key games that felt essential to having in my library. I have bought the following since the release of the SG (all CIB):

Aladdin, Streets of Rage 2, TMNT Hyperstone Heist, Gunstar Heroes, Contra Hard Corps, Rocket Knight Adventures, Ecco, Adventures of Batman and Robin, Sonic Spinball, Earthworm Jim, Sonic 3, and S&K.

Could've bought 2 or 3 Mega SGs with what that cost.

Oof, yeah, a lot of those are wallet breakers. :lol

Btw, do whatever you want with that, but here's an avatar-sized version of accurate Chris, not censored Chris.

zmZTrEA.png

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Mega Drive. US Genesis version if that matters. I think it might use EEPROM saves? Also don't know if that matters.

Edit: of course now that I mention the save state issue I can now pull up the Everdrive menu just fine with no issue. Lol. 🤷‍♂️ It usually strikes at random when I need it most.

Edit again: wait, no, the HUD disappeared. Playing McDonald's Treasureland Adventure. Just bizarre. Loading a save state doesn't bring it back, seems baked into this save state.
ok, yep. Seeing the same thing in Wonder Boy. I don't feel like playing to the inn again tonight but I am curious, when you save do you typically select the option to stop playing (which soft resets the game) or not? I picked it and I am curious if not selecting that would preserve it in this case.

Also I found the SNAP thing. In the menu if you go to /MEGA/SNAP you can see the save states. Selecting it has a preview option which will let you confirm the save state looks good I guess. Though I am not clear if you can do that while the game is still running like they seem to be suggesting in the thread? I'll keep experimenting with it.

I've read what this guy is saying a couple times now and maybe I am just sleepy but it is not parsing.
What I normally do when I want to save state before turning the power off is after I make a save I always preview the file first in SNAP, at first it usally shows the second last save state, I then boot the game up again and then exit straight away and then preview the SNAP shot again and it changes to the most recent save, by then I know it's gonna save and can safely turn the console off and come back to it at a later time. If this method doesn't work then you may have a faulty SD card.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
ok, yep. Seeing the same thing in Wonder Boy. I don't feel like playing to the inn again tonight but I am curious, when you save do you typically select the option to stop playing (which soft resets the game) or not? I picked it and I am curious if not selecting that would preserve it in this case.

Also I found the SNAP thing. In the menu if you go to /MEGA/SNAP you can see the save states. Selecting it has a preview option which will let you confirm the save state looks good I guess. Though I am not clear if you can do that while the game is still running like they seem to be suggesting in the thread? I'll keep experimenting with it.

I've read what this guy is saying a couple times now and maybe I am just sleepy but it is not parsing.
I ran a Sonic 2 hack that has a Sonic 3 style save system (Sonic 2 Delta) and dared to turn it off before resetting just to see, and it saved just fine.

So it could be games that use EEPROM just need a reset. Which I can take some solace in.

Thank you for looking into this more than once though. :) And I would recommend going beyond that first inn someday. Wonder Boy in Monster World is a great game. I usually choose to continue to keep going, but I don't think that would make much difference. Seems to be a proper reset does the trick in making saves stick.

Yeah, I'm not sure how you look at SNAP without exiting a game entirely either. I think whatever they're experiencing is different from me, as I figured out after my very first post tonight that it's not the save states that fucks up my game per se, but bringing up the Everdrive in-game menu. I just sometimes create a save state before I realize my game has crashed as a result of pulling up that menu, locking that crash in my save state.

It's an inconsistent problem though. No need for further troubleshooting, just wanted to put feelers out there to see if anyone else has run into it, which if it's not just my cart, people surely will in using it and its features normally.

Thanks for all your help SmiteOfHand. :)

Melpontro

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have some suggestions for the lowpass filter settings? Haven't quite been able to get it dialed in right. Sound in Vectorman doesn't sound quite how I remember, but it might just be my memory playing tricks on me.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
I know people have said bad things about reproductions - presumably those were unauthorised reproductions though? Would an official reprint like this be fine?

Godai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have two of 8bitdo's M30 2.4ghz controllers with their Mega Sg? I have two and on a 6 button game like Street Fighter II Special Championship Edition, I can't get the controller to go into 6 button mode while it's in the 2nd controller slot. Pressing the - button seems to work (the receiver flashes three times), but the top buttons just don't work. I can switch freely on the 1st controller slot.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I know people have said bad things about reproductions - presumably those were unauthorised reproductions though? Would an official reprint like this be fine?

The short answer is that until someone knowledgable looks at the PCB for level shifters, we don't know. There's no guarantees that an official reprint won't also be poorly made junk.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
The short answer is that until someone knowledgable looks at the PCB for level shifters, we don't know. There's no guarantees that an official reprint won't also be poorly made junk.

Apparently they released an original game on MD cart called Rhythm Land earlier this year but I'm not sure if there are any reviews of how safe the cart turned out to be.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently they released an original game on MD cart called Rhythm Land earlier this year but I'm not sure if there are any reviews of how safe the cart turned out to be.

I don't know about their MD stuff but their Famicom games have a reputation for killing themselves with the console's 5V because there are no level shifters. There's every chance that this is dodgy Chinese bootleg tier crap in a nice box.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Found pics of the PCB of their most recent Famicom release: http://blog.kourin.org/blog/?p=6730

I am no expert but the cart pins seem to go straight to the flash ROM chips and this blogger put tape over one of the pins to get it to work on the Famicom Twin. If their MD releases are anything like this, don't waste your money unless you're a collector who will play a game once and then just leave it on your shelf. These aren't products that will last, prolonged play will kill the cart.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have some suggestions for the lowpass filter settings? Haven't quite been able to get it dialed in right. Sound in Vectorman doesn't sound quite how I remember, but it might just be my memory playing tricks on me.
I just used mostly what Joe Redifer from Game Sack recommended in his review video (and just fiddled with the sliders a little 'til I liked the way it sounded), although he says an update changed how it sounds or something. He recommended after turning the low-pass filter on to set the cut-off to 6900 and the rolloff rate at "about 12." (I just trusted him because I think he does, or used to, like... calibrate theatre audio systems or something. I might be making up that memory lol) video link
Does anyone have two of 8bitdo's M30 2.4ghz controllers with their Mega Sg? I have two and on a 6 button game like Street Fighter II Special Championship Edition, I can't get the controller to go into 6 button mode while it's in the 2nd controller slot. Pressing the - button seems to work (the receiver flashes three times), but the top buttons just don't work. I can switch freely on the 1st controller slot.

Hmmm. I just tried and I cannot get the second controller recognized as a 6-button in Eternal Champions. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or something. Can't even get the top buttons to show in the Mega SG controller test. I've tried cycling the "modes" and saw the LED flash too. Tried swapping the controllers, it's always just port 2. (edit: Just tried with a bluetooth model of the M30 too, same problem. I don't have a wired Genesis controller to check that)

Last edited:

Melpontro

Oct 25, 2017
I just used mostly what Joe Redifer from Game Sack recommended in his review video (and just fiddled with the sliders a little 'til I liked the way it sounded), although he says an update changed how it sounds or something. He recommended after turning the low-pass filter on to set the cut-off to 6900 and the rolloff rate at "about 12." (I just trusted him because I think he does, or used to, like... calibrate theatre audio systems or something. I might be making up that memory lol) video link

Hmmm. I just tried and I cannot get the second controller recognized as a 6-button in Eternal Champions. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or something. Can't even get the top buttons to show in the Mega SG controller test. I've tried cycling the "modes" and saw the LED flash too. Tried swapping the controllers, it's always just port 2. (edit: Just tried with a bluetooth model of the M30 too, same problem. I don't have a wired Genesis controller to check that)

I'm running into the same issue with Retrobit's Wired Genesis controller. Will test with an original Genesis controller later just to be sure.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Just tossing my hat in the pile to say seeing the same thing with 6 button on 2P.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I have 2 M30s and in my limited testing (SF2 with Pyron's colour hack and improved voices hack) all 6 buttons on both controllers work as expected.

edit: realised this was a Mega Sg topic and I am playing on real hardware oops. Well you can rule out the M30 as the issue at least!

Last edited:

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I have 2 M30s and in my limited testing (SF2 with Pyron's colour hack and improved voices hack) all 6 buttons on both controllers work as expected.
Hmmm... are you using the "jailbreak" firmware? The game isn't even important to me, because I can't get the system's Controller Test to see the top row of buttons or the mode button. I've tried swapping ports, swapping controllers, and it's just the 2P port. I only have 8bitdo controllers to try though, 2x2.4GHz and 1xBT. Weird yours work and mine don't in port 2.

I'm afraid that I'm missing some like... obvious setting somewhere in the console menu and I'm going to feel real dumb when it's pointed out to me. I did CTRL+F through the manual pdf.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Flashing it back to official firmware 4.2. Version from launch, before the jailbreak. See if 6 button works there. Will report back.

Works in 4.2. Latest firmware broke it.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Flashing it back to official firmware 4.2. Version from launch, before the jailbreak. See if 6 button works there. Will report back.

Works in 4.2. Latest firmware broke it.
Thanks for checking.
edit: not that I didn't believe you, but I just checked too and yeah, 6-button working fine on the 2P side with 4.2. Checking 4.3 now (I'm going to "submit a request," with Analogue support and I just want to double-check and make sure everything I write is correct)

edit 2: dammit. I forgot I have to reset all my settings all over again...

Last edited:

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
edit 2: dammit. I forgot I have to reset all my settings all over again...
It is a little disturbing how fast I have gotten at changing my settings back. I probably ended up doing it nearly 100 times with the super nt and trying all sorts of stuff. I tell myself the default font isn't that bad and then looking at it for 2 more seconds think nooooooooooooooope.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
It is a little disturbing how fast I have gotten at changing my settings back. I probably ended up doing it nearly 100 times with the super nt and trying all sorts of stuff. I tell myself the default font isn't that bad and then looking at it for 2 more seconds think nooooooooooooooope.
Lol, yeah it really doesn't take long. I'm just lazy and don't like doing it.

That default font, woof! I need to get busy trying to figure out how to edit the fonts Aeana linked, but I haven't started yet. For now I'm just using the Chicago font they linked.
Either way, I "submit a request" using the link after "Have more questions" at their support site and got an email back saying someone was reviewing it, or whatever.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got back around to picking up Tanglewood. Any homebrew dev who may be out there listening, if you want to increase the odds of me buying your cool old new game by 100% then give the option to buy the rom. Carts are rad and it is cool to have the option but I just don't need it.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well as of today I just hit 2 weeks since I "pre-ordered" one of these. Let's see if they get the second crate in next week or not ! Got an everdrive X5 showing up in the next week or so as well. SEGA

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Well as of today I just hit 2 weeks since I "pre-ordered" one of these. Let's see if they get the second crate in next week or not ! Got an everdrive X5 showing up in the next week or so as well. SEGA
Damn dude. That sucks. Hopefully you get a shipment confirmation soon. It makes me feel guity since I ordered mine on the 30th of March (Saturday) and it shipped Monday the 1st.

Also, already got an email back from Analogue concerning the 2P 6-button controller thing and they said that "they are processing the fix for this issue for the upcoming firmware update that will be released shortly."
That was fast.

Last edited:

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Also, already got an email back from Analogue concerning the 2P 6-button controller thing and they said that "they are processing the fix for this issue for the upcoming firmware update that will be released shortly."
That was fast.

Sounds pretty reassuring actually, esp. since it means the flaw was probably not in the controllers themselves.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds pretty reassuring actually, esp. since it means the flaw was probably not in the controllers themselves.
Yeah, I was a little worried at first, but when SmiteOfHand pointed out if you go back to firmware 4.2, the second port works correctly I had a feeling it would be fixed eventually.

I was afraid it was the ports or something, since I never actually tried using the 2P port before today, so I just would've never noticed and I tried swapping different controllers from either port and each one would always work fine in the 1P port, but not correctly be recognized in the 2P port.