• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Tidied my Mega Drive shelves up a bit today. Holding off on more eBay purchases for a while.

eEEuIv1.jpg
Nice! I've a lot of them games also in alphabetical order!

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I really wonder if this thing will be able to flash CD games from the SD card WITHOUT the need for the Sega CD... that's not possible, right?

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I ordered the JPN variant on Sunday night, and I received a package from Analogue this morning. It contained the white variant, which, while just as awesome, isn't what I ordered. I decided to keep it after reading about fulfillment issues in the other thread. I also don't understand why expensive overnight shipping was the only option, or why it was advertised as UPS but shipped via FedEx. The hardware is great, but Analogue really needs to figure out their store operation.
Wow. They are still fucking up?

I guess I was lucky to get the one I ordered. I ordered one last Thursday.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
I just turned off auto region and selected PAL to play my PAL version of Sonic 1. Wow. Did I really tolerate it to be this slow when I was a child?!?

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Yep, followed the RBG retro instructions to a T. Made sure to get the 2.4 firmware ect.

Just to confirm, the .dat file will be gone if you plug the receiver back in right? I just checked to verify and the files are gone on both.

Also, the lights on the controller still blink as if they are in update mode. Do I need to specifically turn them off? 8bitdo's manual is a bit lacking.

Got it working, must have made an error copying the files over. Plugged everything in and went through the whole process again and it works fine now!

I'm getting around to updating mine now.

We're talking 2.4 ghz controllers right?

I'm following the instructions here https://www.retrorgb.com/how-to-update-your-m30-2-4g-if-youre-having-connection-issues.html

I opened them up, I simply dragged the 2.00 dat file over to the V1_09 storage, didn't replace any existing thing on there. And that's all I did.
Was about to do the controllers but it seems they don't have a charge because the lights aren't staying on in the LRSTART step, so charging those now.

I shouldn't be worried, this seems easy. But how will I know it really updated? I see the storage on the tutorial page shows V2_00, so I assume it becomes that after the update? I guess I'll have to crack it open again afterward to see for sure.

I'm assuming the orange light on the controllers means charging. What will it look like when it's done?

edit:

And because I've never actually used these before, I hope they pair with the new firmwares in place.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm getting around to updating mine now.

We're talking 2.4 ghz controllers right?

I'm following the instructions here https://www.retrorgb.com/how-to-update-your-m30-2-4g-if-youre-having-connection-issues.html

I opened them up, I simply dragged the 2.00 dat file over to the V1_09 storage, didn't replace any existing thing on there. And that's all I did.
Was about to do the controllers but it seems they don't have a charge because the lights aren't staying on in the LRSTART step, so charging those now.

I shouldn't be worried, this seems easy. But how will I know it really updated? I see the storage on the tutorial page shows V2_00, so I assume it becomes that after the update? I guess I'll have to crack it open again afterward to see for sure.
There's no visual confirmation that it's updated. I think my mistake was either copying the wrong file to the wrong device, or a copy failing. I followed the same site and after the second attempt it worked perfectly.

After it's updated they should just power on like normal. Do note if one is updated without the other, they will not connect.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
In this step:

Grab your M30 2.4G and hold the L+R+Start buttons together. You will see the lights on top of the controller come on.
Once the top lights are on, plug in the micro USB cable to the controller and your PC.

The lights on my controller don't stay on. They are on for 2 seconds while you hold L, R, and Start, as pictured but turn off when you let go. When plugged in, there is no storage that appears, but it seems to be in a usb controller state.

Again, I've never used the controllers and paired them. Is that part of the issue?

edit:

I tried my second controller. The lights were blinking after holding the button combo, plugged it in, and I moved over the dat file. It continued blinking the green and blue light after unplugging for several minutes, it's off now. I'll try to pair tomorrow. Wonder what the issue is with the other controller? I can't get it into the blinking state....

Last edited:

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
In this step:

The lights on my controller don't stay on. They are on while you hold L, R, and Start, as pictured but turn off when you let go. When plugged in, there is no storage that appears.

Again, I've never used the controllers and paired them. Is that part of the issue?
There is a weird timing element to it. Enjoy the bonus mini game.

You have to hold it for like 3 seconds, but no longer and no shorter. Too short and the light will just turn off after a moment. Too long and they will also just turn off. Get it just right and they will flash. After you do it like 2 times you get a feel for it.

(And once you're done copying the file over and disconnect if it continues to flash just hold down start until it goes away)

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm planning to buy a Mega SG. I'm just waiting a bit, since Analogue seems to be having so much trouble with shipping. I just bought a used Sega CD on Ebay for $70. It's not working. The listing said it won't power on. I'm going to try to fix it. I didn't want to spend $200 on a Sega CD.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I'm planning to buy a Mega SG. I'm just waiting a bit, since Analogue seems to be having so much trouble with shipping. I just bought a used Sega CD on Ebay for $70. It's not working. The listing said it won't power on. I'm going to try to fix it. I didn't want to spend $200 on a Sega CD.
Post pics/updates if you make any head way. I love little projects like this and big fan of keeping stuff that would end up in a landfill alive.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
There is a weird timing element to it. Enjoy the bonus mini game.

You have to hold it for like 3 seconds, but no longer and no shorter. Too short and the light will just turn off after a moment. Too long and they will also just turn off. Get it just right and they will flash. After you do it like 2 times you get a feel for it.

(And once you're done copying the file over and disconnect if it continues to flash just hold down start until it goes away)

!! You're right! Okay for this controller, I had to hold it and release after about one second. I did get it!

So now I've managed to drag the appropriate dat files to two receivers and two controllers.
I imagine everything will be fine if I wait to continue this tomorrow after work when hooking up the genesis and finalizing the update with a pairing.

Smaug18

Dec 15, 2017
I did not experience any issues of lost connections or some such with my 8bitdo 2,4ghz controllers on their stock firmware. Is there any additional benefit to the new firmware or can I stick with the version that is already on them? For the people who had issues, where they immediately apparent?

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
I did not experience any issues of lost connections or some such with my 8bitdo 2,4ghz controllers on their stock firmware. Is there any additional benefit to the new firmware or can I stick with the version that is already on them? For the people who had issues, where they immediately apparent?

I'm in the same boat. Works great out of the box for me. My SF30 Pro fried it's battery when I tried to update the firmware in it and 8bitdo's service was worthless. I'm leaning towards leaving it as is.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
For me, the stock firmware was awful. Controller wouldn't sync immediately and could drop connection mid game. With the update this has been 100% solved and the pairing is instant and haven't had any dropped connections.

Mar 27, 2019
I think I figured out the weird scrolling issues I was having in 720p on my Mega SG: I have a framemeister in my setup which at this point is acting as a very expensive HDMI switch since I've put away all my RGB gear. The SG is running through the framemeister's HDMI but I didn't have HDMI pass through set. I guess the FM was applying its own interpolation which was messing with the SG's.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Got mine this morning, a white one. I really wanted a matching white M30 but they weren't available so I bought 2 black ones (2.4GHz and BT). I was able to buy a used white one that supposedly is showing up today. Hopefully it's not all chewed up or something.

Really like that with the "jailbreak" firmware I can play all the games I bought on the steam "Sega Classics" collection (or whatever it's called). Just had to download some other program to "extract" the rom files out of the .pak files in your steamapps folders.

Weird thing is, mine seems to take a long time to "boot up" and it'll just hang, but if I turn off and turn back on the monitor I'm using to play it, it'll immediately flash the intro and then the menu right after the monitor comes on. Weird. I guess I should try it on my TV and see if it does it there, too.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Weird thing is, mine seems to take a long time to "boot up" and it'll just hang, but if I turn off and turn back on the monitor I'm using to play it, it'll immediately flash the intro and then the menu right after the monitor comes on. Weird. I guess I should try it on my TV and see if it does it there, too.
Not 100% sure if this is it but when you switch cores (Genesis to game gear) for example it has to flash the fpga, reprogramming it to essentially be that chipset. So if you are flipping between hardware a lot it can take a while. Generally try to stick to one system if you want to avoid the flash.

If that is not it there are some of SD card speed settings you can mess with in the menu but I know in the past setting it wrong could lead to corruption so handle with care.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Not 100% sure if this is it but when you switch cores (Genesis to game gear) for example it has to flash the fpga, reprogramming it to essentially be that chipset. So if you are flipping between hardware a lot it can take a while. Generally try to stick to one system if you want to avoid the flash.

If that is not it there are some of SD card speed settings you can mess with in the menu but I know in the past setting it wrong could lead to corruption so handle with care.
I don't know what it is. I haven't used any cores besides the Genesis one, and a few actual carts. I thought it might be like... it's not getting enough power since I just have it plugged into the USB port on the side of my monitor (a separate monitor) and when I used the plug and cable that they provide it's the same thing. Any time I turn off/ or back on the monitor the HDMI cable is hooked up to, I can hear the opening animation thingy in the headphones go off immediately (I'm using the headphone jack for audio right now).

It's no big deal, just thought it was weird.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
I think what i love about this the most is the lack of controller latancy, compared to my Nvidia Shield. It's amazing!

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Grew up with a genesis, but my collection has dwindled over the years. I really want this but not sure I can justify it with my limited library.

Might be worth it just to play my Sega CD games. Gaaahh! So cool. And now there's a genesis mini too. What a weird year.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Grew up with a genesis, but my collection has dwindled over the years. I really want this but not sure I can justify it with my limited library.

Might be worth it just to play my Sega CD games. Gaaahh! So cool. And now there's a genesis mini too. What a weird year.
Could pick up the Collection off steam for $30, extract the roms and run them off the jailbreak. Pretty solid spread of the library compared to cost and only one or two wouldn't work such as Sonic CD (which you might already have anyway.)

https://store.steampowered.com/sub/102625/

Last edited:

julian

Oct 27, 2017

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Could pick up the Collection off steam for $30, extract the roms and run them off the jailbreak. Pretty solid spread of the library compared to cost and only one or two wouldn't work such as Sonic CD (which you might already have anyway.)

https://store.steampowered.com/sub/102625/
Thanks. Not a terrible plan. I'll have to look into everything that'd entail. It always seems easy...until I try

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. I've only bought like 3 or 4 Genesis games so far on cartridge. Unfortunately you can't get them like... piecemeal or something and you have to get the whole pack now, but yeah, some good'ins in there.

Buy SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Classics
Includes 59 items: Alex Kidd™ in the Enchanted Castle, Alien Soldier, Alien Storm, Altered Beast™, Beyond Oasis, Bio-Hazard Battle™, Bonanza Bros.™, Columns™, Columns™ III, Comix Zone™, Crack Down™, Decap Attack™, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine™, Dynamite Headdy, Ecco the Dolphin™, Ecco™ Jr., Ecco™: The Tides of Time, ESWAT™: City Under Siege, Eternal Champions™, Fatal Labyrinth™, Flicky™, Gain Ground™, Galaxy Force II™, Golden Axe III, Golden Axe™, Golden Axe™ II, Gunstar Heroes, Kid Chameleon™, Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole, Light Crusader, Phantasy Star II, Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom, Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium, Ristar™, Shadow Dancer™, Shining Force, Shining Force II, Shining in the Darkness, Shinobi™ III: Return of the Ninja Master, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic 3D Blast™, Sonic CD, Sonic Spinball™, Sonic The Hedgehog, Sonic The Hedgehog 2, Space Harrier™ II, Streets of Rage, Streets of Rage 2, Streets of Rage 3, Super Thunder Blade™, Sword of Vermilion™, The Revenge of Shinobi, ToeJam & Earl, ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron, VectorMan 2, VectorMan™, Virtua Fighter™ 2, Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair, Wonder Boy in Monster World

There's a guide how to extract the roms on PCGamingWIki.
https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Sega_Mega_Drive_and_Genesis_Classics#Run_in_other_emulators

follow the instructions under "Extract *.pak files with QuickBMS (non-Steam versions)"
You can also use that PSCDPack program to extract them one by one, but the QuickBMS method auto-names them so you don't have to and does your whole folder instead of tediously doing them one by one (wish I knew that first, lol)

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
System arrived today a day early! I ordered and received the JPN model, so bullet dodged. Looks super nice next to my Super NT.

Confession: I never owned a Genesis as a kid. I was a die-hard Nintendo man. I have a very (and I mean very) shallow knowledge of the game library. I've picked up a few carts in anticipation:

Aladdin
Phantasy Star IV
Sonic 2
Vectorman
Virtua Racing

I know some of the heavy hitters (Gunstar, Bloodlines, Shining Force), but I'm at a lots as to what else is worth my time.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my God.

While looking for a 240p Test Suite download and for whatever other homebrew stuff I could find. I stumbled upon this.
U6w80q4.jpg

https://webmshare.com/play/KezvG - gameplay capture, lol
I had to get footage from an emulator because I don't have an elgato or whatever. I had to end it at that last encounter, it made me laugh pretty good.
It's a free download, but I tipped him a couple bucks.

Last edited:

xfigures

Oct 25, 2017
System arrived today a day early! I ordered and received the JPN model, so bullet dodged. Looks super nice next to my Super NT.

Confession: I never owned a Genesis as a kid. I was a die-hard Nintendo man. I have a very (and I mean very) shallow knowledge of the game library. I've picked up a few carts in anticipation:

Aladdin
Phantasy Star IV
Sonic 2
Vectorman
Virtua Racing

I know some of the heavy hitters (Gunstar, Bloodlines, Shining Force), but I'm at a lots as to what else is worth my time.
Streets of Rage series is must play.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA

Aladdin
Phantasy Star IV
Sonic 2
Vectorman
Virtua Racing

Start here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/fo...le-in-sega-genesis-classics-collection.95922/

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Alright, I finally managed to test my M30 2.4g controllers after the panic and worry of firmware update, which wasn't so bad really.
Works lovely! At first I thought I had issues with inputs, that was just because the receiver really needs to be snugged into the port. These are fantastic!

Streets of Rage series is must play.

Ya know, I never bothered to play these. Looked like yet another boring beat'emup, though I knew they were beloved, I just never bothered.
Well in messing around with rom hacks the other day, I played around with Streets of Rage 3 finally, there's something about it that makes it stand above the rest. Lots of cool sprites with tons of animations and they look great (love that they aren't so big and useless like most beat'emups), lots of enemies on the screen at once, the fights have speed to them, the characters are cool. I can't wait to sit down with this series and really give it a go.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

Aladdin
Phantasy Star IV
Sonic 2
Vectorman
Virtua Racing

Since you have platformers in Aladdin and Sonic 2, Ristar might be up your alley. ToeJam & Earl is probably one of the most beloved Genesis games, especially with a second player.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I finally managed to test my M30 2.4g controllers after the panic and worry of firmware update, which wasn't so bad really.
Works lovely! At first I thought I had issues with inputs, that was just because the receiver really needs to be snugged into the port. These are fantastic!

Ya know, I never bothered to play these. Looked like yet another boring beat'emup, though I knew they were beloved, I just never bothered.
Well in messing around with rom hacks the other day, I played around with Streets of Rage 3 finally, there's something about it that makes it stand above the rest. Lots of cool sprites with tons of animations and they look great (love that they aren't so big and useless like most beat'emups), lots of enemies on the screen at once, the fights have speed to them, the characters are cool. I can't wait to sit down with this series and really give it a go.

Get SOR2, I gave it a whirl yesterday and it's been years since I last played. Growing older made me appreciate more what developpers could do at a time when this was all 'just a game' to me.

The soundtrack is out of this world and a great usage of the soundchip too. Listen to Go Straight (Stage 1 theme) and Never Return Alive (Boss theme). It holds up pretty well imo.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Post pics/updates if you make any head way. I love little projects like this and big fan of keeping stuff that would end up in a landfill alive.

I got it in the mail today. It's a bit scuffed up and dirty. About what you would expect from a piece of 25 year old hardware. I took it apart and as soon as I got the top half off, you could smell the smell of something burnt out in it. I got my multimeter and the F-301 fuse is blown. I don't have any experience with electronics soldering, but I've been meaning to get a soldering iron to replace my SNES game batteries. I'll replace some of them first and get some experience before I try to replace the fuse. The top of the control board has a few pretty nasty places on it, too, but I don't know how to clean a board. Or if it's even safe too.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
I got it in the mail today. It's a bit scuffed up and dirty. About what you would expect from a piece of 25 year old hardware. I took it apart and as soon as I got the top half off, you could smell the smell of something burnt out in it. I got my multimeter and the F-301 fuse is blown. I don't have any experience with electronics soldering, but I've been meaning to get a soldering iron to replace my SNES game batteries. I'll replace some of them first and get some experience before I try to replace the fuse. The top of the control board has a few pretty nasty places on it, too, but I don't know how to clean a board. Or if it's even safe too.
99% IPA is your friend (isopropyl alcohol). Throw a few drops on the dirty areas and take a toothbrush to it. Clean the board well. Obviously make sure no power is applied.;)

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
99% IPA is your friend (isopropyl alcohol). Throw a few drops on the dirty areas and take a toothbrush to it. Clean the board well. Obviously make sure no power is applied.;)

The nastiest place is in a really tight spot. I would be lucky to get a q-tip in it. I don't know what it is in it, but it's a brown, nasty looking spot.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Cool stuff B.K. good luck!

Watched Titan Overdrive / 2. Haven't seen since they first dropped. Do yourself a favor and load them up if you never have. Hell of a time.

Also about halfway through that Cave Story port. Really solid, I've only noticed very minor differences though it has been a very long time since I played the original.

Oct 27, 2017
I was happy to find out that the Genesis collection on steam has all of it's roms completely out in the open. Made it really easy to grab them and transfer them to the Mega SG. I'm surprised they didn't try to protect them in some way. I'm pretty sure that makes it the most legal way to get roms, since you don't have to break any sort of copy protection on them at all. I always prefer real carts, but it's nice being able to play games I bought in a far more accurate way then the emulator Sega used in that collection.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
The nastiest place is in a really tight spot. I would be lucky to get a q-tip in it. I don't know what it is in it, but it's a brown, nasty looking spot.
Near a capacitor, maybe? Caps leaking is well known to happen on hardware as old as the Sega CD. Getting the unit recapped is common and will likely be in your future if replacing the fuse works. If it is, you may need to desolder the cap and clean the surrounding area. Can you post a pic?

Oct 27, 2017
Tidied my Mega Drive shelves up a bit today. Holding off on more eBay purchases for a while.

eEEuIv1.jpg

What is it about Genesis boxes that make them so appealing? Is it their quintessential 90s aesthetic?

Considering I've purchased the Genesis collection many times on many platforms I don't feel beholden to tracking down every cartridge, however I do want the boxes!

Oh my God.

While looking for a 240p Test Suite download and for whatever other homebrew stuff I could find. I stumbled upon this.
U6w80q4.jpg

https://webmshare.com/play/KezvG - gameplay capture, lol
I had to get footage from an emulator because I don't have an elgato or whatever. I had to end it at that last encounter, it made me laugh pretty good.
It's a free download, but I tipped him a couple bucks.

Unfortunately the linked video won't play in Safari on my iPhone.

Kaworu

Oct 28, 2017
I just received the invoice for FedEx in order to pay the Japanese customs. ¥1300 for one Mega Sg. Just to let you know guys.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I just received the invoice for FedEx in order to pay the Japanese customs. ¥1300 for one Mega Sg. Just to let you know guys.

Something for me to look forward to getting then. ¥1,300 isnt too bad actually, especially coming from the UK where you need to wait an extra week while your package is stuck in customs and Parcelforce charge more than that for their fees alone which is on top of the 20% you need to pay in import tax.