• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
That's the strange part of this. They could be making a decent amount of money if they just adhered to good business practices.
And they'd also earn much more goodwill from the consumers - if people could actually buy their products.

I'd eventually be willing to buy some of their products - they make great FPGA products, but it sure feels like they abuse their current standing as the only company who does this.

If they could produce enough product to meet demand they would. Hell they are struggling just to restock old stuff like the Super NT. Think about the fact that they don't even pay to manufacture the initial shipment of new products. People preordering fully funds production 6+ months out. They are just a tiny company still using what is essentially crowd funding to launch every new product. I wouldn't expect them to be able to change their business model until they can stop relying on preorder money just to bring new products to market. Until then we are likely going to have to live with limited quantity preorders.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really confused as to who came up with the idea of a port controller on the side of the console and WHY you would do such a completely stupid thing

This is highly unpractical, let alone if you want to use a multitap and more controllers

I know we are the minority but this is a bummer for sure.

Street Fighter probably won't fit either. Analogue, please consider

2f9f546cd2deb1354fff4a251f1598fb.jpg
Populous wouldn't work too

Last edited:

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I mentioned before but I'm not familiar with the PC engine very much apart from a few games. I currently have Snatcher. Wondering if anyone can point me to a list of must plays or something

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned before but I'm not familiar with the PC engine very much apart from a few games. I currently have Snatcher. Wondering if anyone can point me to a list of must plays or something
You can start with the whole PCE mini games. But if you tell us which kind of games you enjoy it will be easier to list them

The PCE is strong in JRPGs and Shmups mostly

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
You can start with the whole PCE mini games. But if you tell us which kind of games you enjoy it will be easier to list them

The PCE is strong in JRPGs and Shmups mostly
Honestly I enjoy almost everything apart from strategy games (shining force excluded). I'll also be picking up Japanese copies if that makes any difference.

On an unrelated note, people really aren't fans of Analogue much anymore eh.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I enjoy almost everything apart from strategy games (shining force excluded). I'll also be picking up Japanese copies if that makes any difference.

If this promo video created by Tony Hawk (no joke) doesn't convince you to play Lords of Thunder then nothing will.

It's 7 minutes long but give it a chance. It goes some places.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I actually hate the incredibly misguided thought that nerds seem to have that when a thing is popular and sells out, it must be all scalpers who grab it

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017

They have terrible business practices, poor customer support, poor long term support of their products, abysmal shipping charges and incredibly obnoxious social media presence

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Look at the pic from head on, it looks like it'll fit.

Dd5aCsw.png

Hmm, could be deceiving because it is a schematic sketch but for my turbo ED the top part doubles the height so seems like it might still not fit if the notch is any indication of size, but good to see they seem to be considering it. Hopefully it is addressed/confirmed before it goes to manufacture.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't the PCE and TG-16 have different a different pin layout for the HuCards? I remember a converter was needed back in the day to map the pins correctly to play import HuCards. I wonder how they plan to handle the mapping? I can't imagine it's possible to automatically detect without storing some sort of database that identifies which game you're playing and to know which mode to select. So unless they do that, will you have to set the mode in the menu before launching?

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I really want them to do a[nother] Neo Geo, but I suspect now that optical media is on the table the PS1 is the most obvious next step.

Maybe a CDX style all in one Mega Drive / Mega CD
Since they were able to do this combo system, it's unfortunate that they didn't do it for the Mega SG (at least Gen/MD + CD).
PS1 does seem like the likely next step but since they don't mind going niche, bring on the Saturn system :D

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
I actually hate the incredibly misguided thought that nerds seem to have that when a thing is popular and sells out, it must be all scalpers who grab it

I'm sure the demand for the Pocket was legitimately big and that's what crashed the check out that morning, but scalper listings went up the same day on eBay so it's pretty clear those types of buyers are also targeting these products at this point.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS

I mean they usually think that when they already see ebay listings pop up the moment it goes up for pre-order.

They should just release one base console like MiSTer since they are using the same Cyclone 5 FPGA for all their consoles anyway. And let people add a CD-ROM drive or other expansions if they want to. That way they they'd only have to make produce one thing and you wouldn't get this limited quantities nonsense.

Even better if they would make a dock for the pocket that supported that.

That's what the PolyMega is supposed to be. A base unit with a CD drive that you slot on expansion parts to get specific cartridge/controller ports.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure the demand for the Pocket was legitimately big and that's what crashed the check out that morning, but scalper listings went up the same day on eBay so it's pretty clear those types of buyers are also targeting these products at this point.
Oh absolutely, it's just that when things aren't like, numbered collector's editions and stuff like that, people sitting on it don't make up a majority of buyers by any shot, despite the impression a few pages of eBay listings gives.
I mean they usually think that when they already see ebay listings pop up the moment it goes up for pre-order.
Correlation =! causation.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017

Look closely at the picture. It appears there is specifically enough room for cards like this.

EkdW15qVgAE7Ss4

I'm very excited for this, but after the analog pocket fiasco, I don't expect I'll be able to get one. Remember, it sold out in, what was it, 3 minutes???

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Since they were able to do this combo system, it's unfortunate that they didn't do it for the Mega SG (at least Gen/MD + CD).
PS1 does seem like the likely next step but since they don't mind going niche, bring on the Saturn system :D
The version of the Cyclone V they're using is too small to have both the MD and the MCD in a single device

It's fine for the PCE because for all intents and purposes it's just a big game card with audio tracks. The CD Rom adds no special enhancing hardware

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Hmm, could be deceiving because it is a schematic sketch but for my turbo ED the top part doubles the height so seems like it might still not fit if the notch is any indication of size, but good to see they seem to be considering it. Hopefully it is addressed/confirmed before it goes to manufacture.
You're making the assumption that the bottom rectangle is the card size when it's more likely higher than that.

Deleted member 48201

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2018

That's what the PolyMega is supposed to be. A base unit with a CD drive that you slot on expansion parts to get specific cartridge/controller ports.

Polymega uses emulators instead of FPGA though.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
While I don't think they would do it. Since they are now doing CD drives it would be nice if they did a Sega CD addon for the Mega SG that stacks and connects like the Model 1 Sega CD. Sure it would probably be another $200 since it will needs it's own FPGA but still it would be awesome to see.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
You're making the assumption that the bottom rectangle is the card size when it's more likely higher than that.
We are in agreement. Sorry if my first sentence ramble wasn't clearer.

Yeah, if you zoom in on the picture, look at the shape of the card slot. You can see on the side that it seems to be about the same shape as the street fighter card.

The everdrive is rectangular. It doesn't recess in at the top like the SF card. In any case, It is all conjecture at this stage. Only Analogue can give exact dimensions so hopefully they confirm what will fit.

DUap3LD.jpg

Edit: here is a side by side with a regular card to get an idea how chunky it is.

ijtaBju.jpg

Last edited:

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
We are in agreement. Sorry if my first sentence ramble wasn't clearer.

The everdrive is rectangular. It doesn't recess in at the top like the SF card. In any case, It is all conjecture at this stage. Only Analogue can give exact dimensions so hopefully they confirm what will fit.

DUap3LD.jpg

Oh, yes that one does look too large for sure.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, that is beautiful, this will be my first Analogue system. I'm going to try to get one even though I had my Duo recapped, repaired and RGB modded a few years ago, this is too good to pass up and such a slick, stable option. I also don't currently own a Supergrafx but still have a copy of Aldynes I haven't played in years so another reason this is a must own for me.

Last edited:

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
The thing that bothers me about this including a CD drive is its replacement should it break. Is it possible to replace it wholesale, or can we replace any parts with easily sourced materials?

It's likely going to have to go through Analogue to be repaired. I was hoping they'd do external USB which would make it a non issue, but they've gone custom instead. Optical drives are usually the primary point of failure for consoles, so we'll see how this works out in the long run.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
The version of the Cyclone V they're using is too small to have both the MD and the MCD in a single device

It's fine for the PCE because for all intents and purposes it's just a big game card with audio tracks. The CD Rom adds no special enhancing hardware
True; I always forget it's just storage and the system cards are just RAM expansion. šŸ˜…

Yeah, if you zoom in on the picture, look at the shape of the card slot. You can see on the side that it seems to be about the same shape as the street fighter card.
SF2 is a popular game so I'd like to think they know that and made sure it would fit in the system (and flashcarts as well).

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I just picked up military madness for 900 yen so happy with that! Lords of thunder looks great but it's kinda pricy so I might wait on it a bit. Anything else to keep an eye out for?

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Wow, very interesting choice for a console.

I am very tempted to get the Pocket cart adapter, but I mostly rely on the Turbo Everdrive right now. I wonder how far that would stick out of the machine.

eurogamer:
"The big question is how video output will be handled as the community recently discovered some quirks with the composite video output which are lost when using RGB."
What is the quirk referred to here? I have only ever used an RGB modded PCE.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017

They've always been good with compatibility so hopefully they've thought of this and the everdrive already.

There's a pretty good explanation in this thread: https://pcengine.proboards.com/thread/979/improper-colors

Basically RGB has rounding errors in the conversion from the native YUV. The only way to avoid those rounding errors is to use composite, or in the case of FPGA or emulation to use the correct conversion. This was only discovered recently.

This is really Interesting, thanks for posting. So there is an adjustment to the RGB color values that's made by the video chip as it's converting RGB to composite. Haven't read the rest of the thread but i wonder if this is consistent across all pc engines

Last edited:

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
This is really Interesting, thanks for posting. So there is an adjustment to the RGB color values that's made by the video chip as it's converting RGB to composite. Haven't read the rest of the thread but i wonder if this is consistent across all pc engines

No, like the NES the PC Engine natively outputs in the YUV color space. To get RGB out of the PC Engine there has to be a conversion from YUV to RGB. It's during this conversion where the rounding errors happen.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
It's likely going to have to go through Analogue to be repaired. I was hoping they'd do external USB which would make it a non issue, but they've gone custom instead. Optical drives are usually the primary point of failure for consoles, so we'll see how this works out in the long run.

the jailbreak will be out the first week this is released, so there'll be ways around drive failure

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
Still waiting on the shipping date of the nt mini noir. Thought we would get a date with the announcement.