• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I don't know that kevtris working with Analogue more directly is going to be what stops extra cores from happening. The company was pretty openly wink-wink-nudge-nudge about the jailbreak — they contacted press about the jailbreak basically as soon as the it hit and encouraged us to check it out.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know that kevtris working with Analogue more directly is going to be what stops extra cores from happening. The company was pretty openly wink-wink-nudge-nudge about the jailbreak — they contacted press about the jailbreak basically as soon as the it hit and encouraged us to check it out.
I think it's speculation more than anything. It's mentioned in the MLiG video, where he's interviewed. It's more assumptive than declarative.

Oct 25, 2017

What about just rom loading? Is there some legal problem with allowing an employee to put that in I wonder. I know people want the cores but I'd be happy with allowing roms without needing one of those sd card carts.

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017

Do you mean regarding NT Mini?

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Kevtris is really not saying anything about cores, on the Super either, so that doesn't bode well. :/

He likely can't say more or he would just say no if they weren't coming. Whether that means yes is yet to be determined.

Kevtris did say he was rather burnt out a couple months ago when he finally got to slow down the the Super NT work. So it might not even be Analogue that is the determining factor. He knows that if he promises the cores there will be a huge amount of pressure on him to produce the cores ASAP. There is likely quite a bit of work to integrate the current cores into the new framework he made for the Super NT. Not to mention he said he still has several weeks of work to do to finish up the Intellivision core that he hasn't completed yet. The wise course of action is probably just to remain mum until he has the work done if he's planning on releasing the cores for the Super NT.

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The Digital Foundry video is also very excellent if people are looking for comparison.

Both that one and MLiG video are probably the most comprehensive for those looking for great technical comparisons.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, can you answer me a few questions, still debating on whether I should buy it or not

1. I have an oled 4k tv. Will this look much better compared to the snes mini?
2. Is this shipping from Europe ? I am in US
3. Can you use ROMs on this console without snes everdrive? I don't have any original snes cartridges.
4 .what about hacking and using ROMs from NES , genesis, etc?
5. Has anybody used this version is everdrive ?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/573807532/super-everdrive-flash-cart-with-8gb-sd

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm guessing with the Super NT you would still need the carts for games that include extra chips, such as the SuperFX/SuperFX 2? I cannot imagine enough overhead remains on the FPGA to emulate those, as well as the rest of the system.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
Guys, can you answer me a few questions, still debating on whether I should buy it or not

1. I have an oled 4k tv. Will this look much better compared to the snes mini?
2. Is this shipping from Europe ? I am in US
3. Can you use ROMs on this console without snes everdrive? I don't have any original snes cartridges.
4 .what about hacking and using ROMs from NES , genesis, etc?
5. Has anybody used this version is everdrive ?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/573807532/super-everdrive-flash-cart-with-8gb-sd

1. Yes, enormously. No comparison, also the Super NT itself has no lag, Snes mini does have lag since it's emulator based.
2. Ships from the US.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
OK, the video is live! Hopefully you guys find it interesting. I tried to find a lot of edge cases that give other emulators (aside from Higan - which is included in the video) real problems. Lots of good stuff in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOSQgBEf5ac
Another great video, thank you.

Man... I am really fighting the urge to pick one of these up. I really want one, but I don't own any SNES games and I am not super-hyped about buying any since the prices on Super Nintendo games from what I understand have risen so much in the past few (several now ?) years. I would probably just play the Turrican games over and over again (edit: actually, this sounds really nostalgic to me: only having a couple games for the system I have so I have no choice to play them over and over again to get good at them, lol...).

I'd love to see a video on the Turrican series. I've never actually played one before. The closest I've come is I have played GunLord, which apparently plays like the old Turrican games (going off comments in old Youtube videos). Man, this reminds me of that song that I heard on IGN way back in the day apparently from a "new" Turrican game (I can't find the original page anymore).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSMDkZ4a7lM

I still think it's a super rad song.

Last edited:

Dev

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
OK, the video is live! Hopefully you guys find it interesting. I tried to find a lot of edge cases that give other emulators (aside from Higan - which is included in the video) real problems. Lots of good stuff in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOSQgBEf5ac
Thought I probably won't watch the whole thing, ended up watching the whole thing and now seriously considering buying one.

Extremely well made and researched video. It definitely wasn't an ad, which I'm not happy about because if it was, I'd be a lot less tempted to buy a SNES I don't need!

Oct 25, 2017
Another great video, thank you.

Man... I am really fighting the urge to pick one of these up.

Same. I've avoided pulling the trigger as that would mean building up a sizable NTSC library which I'm not quite ready to commit to. I'm just glad these exist and that there is a real potential for future FPGA consoles from Kevtris (or other developers).

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Man... I am really fighting the urge to pick one of these up. I really want one, but I don't own any SNES games and I am not super-hyped about buying any since the prices on Super Nintendo games from what I understand have risen so much in the past few (several now ?) years.
Honestly, I was surprised at how many good SNES games are reasonably priced on eBay. (Then again, I probably have weird taste when it comes to SNES games.) The reason why I ended up going the SD2SNES route, however, was because I realized that I'd forgotten what a crapshoot purchasing cartridges that aren't maimed or outright disgusting can be.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Well, seeing that I've never played Yoshi's Island, I thought it would be a good idea to buy it! I consider myself a huge Snes fan too, god knows why I never played it.

Oh and Kirbys Dream Land 3, is it a good idea to get the Jap one?

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Hybrid scanlines are pretty interesting with approximating luminosity.

Hybrid: ON
Gamma: ON
Depth: 90

Note the bright white and yellow of the text/UI, compared to the off-white of the flowers, and then compare to the greens of the grass.

1WhOd6Jl.jpg

Interpolation disabled for comparison:

VEcHPcxl.jpg

Last edited:

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Just watched a DF Retro episode on this and it looks absolutely amazing. I can't come close to justifying the price to get one though

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome video. Going to stick with the Framemeister (possibly OSSC in the future?) and RGB modded Snes Jr. for now, but having more options if something happens to those is a welcome option. Analogue and Kevtris have done an incredible job with maintaining accuracy to the original hardware. And I hope to see more DF Retro collaborations with My Life In Gaming. You guys make the best videos on youtube, every video is a must see!
As an owner of both OSSC (new model with HDMI) and Framemeister, stay with the Framemeister for your SNES. The nonstandard clock speed doesn't play well with the audio ADC in the OSSC.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
So do you guys have a specific game picked out to play first or are you gonna just test out your library? I know some of you got your Super Nt already so it'd be cool to hear what you're playing. I actually sold/traded all of my original SNES game a long time ago and have always wanted to re-acquire them all again.

I'm gonna start with Breath of Fire. It's one of my favorite games and I've been wanting to play through it again for a good long time now. I bought a loose cart from Amazon and should get it next week sometime. I won't get my Super Nt until March (second wave) so I'll have time to shop for some more games. I'm gonna hit up some retro game stores today and see what else I can find.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
So do you guys have a specific game picked out to play first or are you gonna just test out your library? I know some of you got your Super Nt already so it'd be cool to hear what you're playing.
Uniracers was my ceremonial launching game, for two reasons. It is fast af, and very responsive.

Super NT passed with flying colors.

F-zero was the runner up.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Hybrid scanlines are pretty interesting with approximating luminosity.

Hybrid: ON
Gamma: ON
Depth: 90

Note the bright white and yellow of the text/UI, compared to the off-white of the flowers, and then compare to the greens of the grass.

1WhOd6Jl.jpg

Interpolation disabled for comparison:

VEcHPcxl.jpg

What do you think of interpolation? Do you think it takes the hard edges off? I know you've posted pics, but in person n all that.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
What do you think of interpolation? Do you think it takes the hard edges off?
As a hard-assed int or nothing type, I am genuinely surprised how much I like it. It does a very good job at uniformity in the grid while not overdoing the blur.

I'll likely stick to int scaling, but I would stress people give it a proper look even if you've already decided you hate these implementations in the past. Kevtris knocked it out of the park, imo.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
As a hard-assed int or nothing type, I am genuinely surprised how much I like it. It does a very good job at uniformity in the grid while not overdoing the blur.

I'll likely stick to int scaling, but I would stress people give it a proper look even if you've already decided you hate these implementations in the past. Kevtris knocked it out of the park, imo.

That's cool, I can't remember what video i watched, but they said the interpolation feature, is the best thing on the Nt.

mattysaurus

Oct 27, 2017
So do you guys have a specific game picked out to play first or are you gonna just test out your library? I know some of you got your Super Nt already so it'd be cool to hear what you're playing.

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest for me. My first RPG, I consider it one of the most important games I've ever played. I'm also considering Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma after that, but I could get sucked into Actraiser and Soul Blazer too. Now that you mention it, it's been a while since I last played BoF, and I'd really like to replay Chrono Trigger since I wasn't a huge fan of the DS' relocalization (like most SE content these days, it tends to be a little dry).

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest for me. My first RPG, I consider it one of the most important games I've ever played. I'm also considering Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma after that, but I could get sucked into Actraiser and Soul Blazer too. Now that you mention it, it's been a while since I last played BoF, and I'd really like to replay Chrono Trigger since I wasn't a huge fan of the DS' relocalization (like most SE content these days, it tends to be a little dry).
I really liked Mystic Quest despite it being on the simpler side. I'll be picking it up for sure at some point. I'm also a big fan of Illusion of Gaia so that's on the list as well. I've never played Actraiser though and I know that I should.

mattysaurus

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked Mystic Quest despite it being on the simpler side. I'll be picking it up for sure at some point. I'm also a big fan of Illusion of Gaia so that's on the list as well. I've never played Actraiser though and I know that I should.

Yeah, people always give MQ grief as if it's supposed to be Chrono Trigger or FFVI, but it was a game specifically designed by Square to appeal to western kids and introduce them them to the genre. In that sense, it worked for eight year old me. Plus, the music is still top notch, but that's most Square games at the time.

Actraiser is great, not too long, and definitely worth your time.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
So they don't make the Mini NT anymore? I thought the point of it was so they could keep making that product?

cacophony

Oct 27, 2017
So they don't make the Mini NT anymore? I thought the point of it was so they could keep making that product?

Nobody knows at this point.

Analogue might just be busy with Super Nt stuff at the moment. Or they might be planning on replacing it with a lower cost version. Or perhaps they are discontinuing it.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Important question! It doesn't say on the power supply (bad!), but does it support 240V so I can just use a US to EU plug adapter?

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Hm I am leaning more and more into ordering one now.. Too bad the SF colour can't be pre ordered right now, but all the others can..

Status
Not open for further replies.