• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I think kevtris in the past had said the issue with SA1 and Super FX is that there's not enough memory bandwidth for those chips to run along with the snes core.
I'm unconvinced

All those special chips are implemented on the MiSTer which also uses a Cyclone V (albeit with 3 times the logic space). But I don't believe it would be a space issue in itself at this point. Implementing the special chips so thoroughly when you're supposed to be using carts only leads to aknowledging that it's for roms loading.

I'll play around with the new firmware but my MiSTer has spoiled me tbh

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I'm unconvinced

All those special chips are implemented on the MiSTer which also uses a Cyclone V (albeit with 3 times the logic space). But I don't believe it would be a space issue in itself at this point. Implementing the special chips so thoroughly when you're supposed to be using carts only leads to aknowledging that it's for roms loading.

I'll play around with the new firmware but my MiSTer has spoiled me tbh

I'm not sure what your reply has to do with what I said? Kevtris said there is not enough memory bandwidth with their current design to run SNES + SA1 or SNES + Super FX cores at the same time. He did not say there wasn't enough space.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what your reply has to do with what I said? Kevtris said there is not enough memory bandwidth with their current design to run SNES + SA1 or SNES + Super FX cores at the same time. He did not say there wasn't enough space.
And I'm saying I'm uncvonvinced because on a board featuring the same kind of setup, it has been done.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
And I'm saying I'm uncvonvinced because on a board featuring the same kind of setup, it has been done.

The cores that he said were possible are the ones that are supported in the jailbreak. I'm not sure why you think the guy that designed the PCB for all of Analogue's FPGA products as well as creating their cores wouldn't be aware of the capabilities of what he designed. He didn't design their hardware with enough over provisioning to support SA1 and Super FX and it's as simple as that.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA

MiSTer is not The Super NT, The SNES core in the Super NT isn't the same core as what MisTer uses. Without knowing specifically Kevtris's core implementation, you can't compare them and say "oh this should be possible on the Super NT because they did it on MisTer"

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
The cores that he said were possible are the ones that are supported in the jailbreak. I'm not sure why you think the guy that designed the PCB for all of Analogue's FPGA products as well as creating their cores wouldn't be aware of the capabilities of what he designed.
Are you actually following what is beeing said ?

The SNES MiSTer core supports both SFX and SA1 chips (among other things).

Also initially Kevtris said that he couldn't implement the special chips because they were hidden behind the rom mask and as such, not accessible.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Also initially Kevtris said that he couldn't implement the special chips because they were hidden behind the rom mask and as such, not accessible.

What are you even talking about? Kevtris always said he could implement special chips, but that it'd likely only be the ones in the jailbreak as he didn't design the hardware to support the SA1 and Super FX.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I set this up before, but is there a new ideal video settings list, say for 720p setting? It's been so long since I messed with it, but I remember the old issue with scanlines meant having 1 pixel off somewhere in the settings or something... Hrmm..

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I set this up before, but is there a new ideal video settings list, say for 720p setting? It's been so long since I messed with it, but I remember the old issue with scanlines meant having 1 pixel off somewhere in the settings or something... Hrmm..

There's currently an issue with the new scanlines. It's on kev's todo list. From what I read it seems like you need to restart the Super NT after saving if you make changes to the video.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
You must be having a faulty memory. I'm still on the previous JB firmware and double checked to make sure. Super Mario Kart gives the expansion chips not supported error like it always has, as do all DSP chip games, as they have not been supported up to this point.

Unless there is a romhack that removes the DSP dependency but I'm not aware of anything like that.

Lol you are correct my bad. I got mixed up, its been a while since I played the Super NT :o Yes I actually have SMK on cart, and SD card. Thanks for clearing that up :)

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
There's currently an issue with the new scanlines. It's on kev's todo list. From what I read it seems like you need to restart the Super NT after saving if you make changes to the video.
So, make your video changes, save them, and then physically hit restart, to actually make the changes stick?

And where can you see Kevtris' todo-list?

Deleted member 5956

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Implementing the special chips so thoroughly when you're supposed to be using carts only leads to aknowledging that it's for roms loading

Yes, the jailbreak firmware is for loading roms from an sd card, that doesn't need any acknowledgement. And no, there is nothing that says anyone should be using carts only just because the hardware has the ability to do so.

Hexadron

Oct 25, 2017
Could we pick either the OT or this thread and have the other one locked? It's annoying always checking two threads!

Status
Not open for further replies.