• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OverHeatQc

Nov 5, 2018
New firmware update for the Super NT:

Big addition is the SPC player. Also they seem to be prepping for the DAC to be announced.

Kevtris is aware of this issue, but unfortunately it's very hard to reproduce on demand. He'd have to reproduce it potentially hundreds of times to catch the exact circumstances that cause it. You can apparently guarantee this bug by letting the demo loop for up to 45 minutes as an exanple. He ran out of time before he had to move onto other stuff. If someone could create a save in a spot that guarantees the bug within a short period of time it's far more likely he'd be able to repro it in reasonable time frame.

Thx updated to 4.9 what is SPC player btw?
You should make a thread about the DAC

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Firmware and release notes are now numbered 4.9, nothing else changed. Maybe a last minute fix?

Might make sense to download it again in case someone already started with 4.8.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe when there's actual news.
Well, I have the DAC! It does indeed output 240p and it only functions with the Super Nt and Mega Sg, as you might expect. There's a lot of options in the menu for changing which sync to use among other things. Will have more to discuss soon enough.

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
i keep seeing DAC being thrown around with these and at this point I'm too afraid to ask what that is

Yee, been looking forward to this update! Fixed scanlines and SPC player were exactly what I was hoping for XP

Now to wait for the SmokeMonster version to come out ;P

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Finally, my scanlines will be fixed!

Well, I have the DAC! It does indeed output 240p and it only functions with the Super Nt and Mega Sg, as you might expect. There's a lot of options in the menu for changing which sync to use among other things. Will have more to discuss soon enough.

How does it connect? Is it HDMI to component? HDMI to SCART? HDMI to DVI/VGA?

How much lag does it add?

I had completely forgotten about that product. I thought it went the way of the Analogue Nt mini and is just quitely shuffled away.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is good news, thanks John.

Very curious to hear more detail about it.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Light gun?

i keep seeing DAC being thrown around with these and at this point I'm too afraid to ask what that is
DAC stands for Digital to Analog Converter. It's a way to use these consoles on analog TVs.

Oct 27, 2017
According to Peter Brown (GaneSpot) on Twitter, the DAC uses a VGA-style connector and can output composite, s-video, component, and RGB via breakout connectors

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
According to Peter Brown (GaneSpot) on Twitter, it uses a VGA-style connector and can output composite, s-video, component, and RGB via breakout connectors

It uses that connector because kevtris likes cheap and effective solutions. It uses cables easily acquired from monoprice if people want to order their cables ahead of launch:

Component video (looks like these are currently out of stock)
RGB BNC
S-video/composite

Unfortunately if you want an RGB Scart cable you'll have to source it from somewhere else that makes custom cables. I'd imagine lots more options will pop up once DAC is officially announced.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Special chip support incoming for the Super NT jailbreak:

It's not live yet. It'll be interesting to see exactly which chips this entails.

Last edited:

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Keep in mind that this doesn't necessarily mean it will support every chip. We have to wait for the specifics to drop.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Finally the DAC appears.
We are pretty much reaching the peak when it comes to playing a retro console, with the highest image and sound quality possible, on analogue displays.

Now, to future proof, we are just lacking a substitute for the dying CRTs.
I sometimes wonder if a modern display with a thick glass panel in front of it could be manipulated to look like a CRT.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
Finally the DAC appears.
We are pretty much reaching the peak when it comes to playing a retro console, with the highest image and sound quality possible, on analogue displays.

I sometimes wonder if a modern display with a thick glass panel in front of it could be manipulated to look like a CRT.

I think you could get pretty far with a low latency, high resolution (4K at least) display with one of those fancy CRT shaders, like CRT royale. You could do the curvature either in the shader (the high resolution should take care of the artifacts that way), or with a glass panel like you said.

You'd need some amount of gpu power to run the shader, though.

I'd love to build my own arcade cabinet this way

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
I think you could get pretty far with a low latency, high resolution (4K at least) display with one of those fancy CRT shaders, like CRT royale. You could do the curvature either in the shader (the high resolution should take care of the artifacts that way), or with a glass panel like you said.

You'd need some amount of gpu power to run the shader, though.

I'd love to build my own arcade cabinet this way
Yes, that's pretty much what i was thinking.
Also, speaking of arcades, you hit the nail on the head there.
I have a Candy Cab to which i pray everytime i turn it on, to not have the monitor die on me. But i know it will happen sometime.

Having a low power, low cost, and lighter alternative to arcade monitors would indeed be a godsend.
It didn't even have to be that low cost, since once you buy one and install it, you would be set for years.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
The special chips supported are:

DSP 1-4, ST010, ST011 and CX4

So no SPC7110, Super FX or SA1 support.

Deleted member 5956

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone please confirm behaviour that I am seeing with the new jailbreak? I set up my usual 5x integer settings, saved everything and then tried out all the special chip games I was interested in, all good. But then on powering off and restarting the video settings are saved but don't actually apply until you go back into the video options and press any button, then they take effect. I can't be alone in having this problem?

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018

A sufficiently high-resolution OLED with proper processing at the display level could near-perfectly simulate bloom, shadow mask/aperture grill structure, and phosphor decay almost perfectly, but that won't happen until display manufactures get off of their sample-and-hold treadmill or the community puts in the Herculean effort to engineer the solutions themselves.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Special chip support incoming for the Super NT jailbreak:

It's not live yet. It'll be interesting to see exactly which chips this entails.
Cool. There were some games that I dumped off the SNES classic and Wii U Virtual Console that I couldn't run because of their use of special chips. Hopefully I'll be able to play them all on my Super NT now.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
this new SPC sound playing software in the Super NT is interesting, but it presents a problem: nobody on the greater Internet appears to have organized existing SPC archives into the FPGA-friendly SP2 format. without SP2 files, the current SPC player requires tapping into the menu whenever a song ends and queueing up the next song manually.

anybody know of SP2 resources in the wild? if not direct links, hints would be appreciated. the SPC player otherwise works as you might hope, with pristine audio quality.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
this new SPC sound playing software in the Super NT is interesting, but it presents a problem: nobody on the greater Internet appears to have organized existing SPC archives into the FPGA-friendly SP2 format. without SP2 files, the current SPC player requires tapping into the menu whenever a song ends and queueing up the next song manually.

anybody know of SP2 resources in the wild? if not direct links, hints would be appreciated. the SPC player otherwise works as you might hope, with pristine audio quality.

I would like to know this as well, This is a very cool feature

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017

Echoing this.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017

Sp2? I've seen a site that has an archive of SPC files to download and a tool that rips spc files from roms, but apparently that tool doesn't work on modern versions of windows.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017

A while back, caitsith2 wrote a program to convert a directory of SPC files to the SPC2 format.
I kept that archive and uploaded it here. You can just drag a folder onto the EXE.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
A while back, caitsith2 wrote a program to convert a directory of SPC files to the SPC2 format.
I kept that archive and uploaded it here. You can just drag a folder onto the EXE.
Oh cool! Good thing you held on to it! I was just reading a kevtris post about it on the nesdev forums but the link was dead.
Thanks for sharing!
edit:typo

Last edited:

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA

you're a freaking pal! I can now confirm this works swimmingly, thank you, and I'm now jamming the complete Chrono Trigger soundtrack on my Super NT. d-pad goes back and forth through the playlist, and A/B are play/pause. the interface is a bit barebones, but it does expose the exact triggering of every sound channel, which is cute.

for those planning to do the same thing, make sure to get WinRAR or 7Zip to unpack existing RSN files to do this.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question....so the new Super NT firmware download three folders in the zip. Do I move all three onto the SD card or only the .bin? What are the other two folders for?

RynoW

Mar 26, 2019
The special chips supported are:

DSP 1-4, ST010, ST011 and CX4

So no SPC7110, Super FX or SA1 support.
That's a welcome surprise! Interesting he'd choose to implement ST-011, which is one of the 3 not supported by the SD2SNES, and only one extremely uninteresting Shogi game uses it.

I do wonder if he'll implement the SuperFX and SA-1 down the line. SD2SNES's is great, but those cores don't seem to run at an accurate speed in the case of GSU, and with some timing errors in the case of SA-1. I'd love to see that stuff get ironed out in firmware updates to the SD2SNES, but I haven't seen anywhere that RedGuy plans to do further work on them, since he removed "WIP" status from both of them.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if im being dim but right now I can already play Super Mario Kart off SD card via the previous release of the JB firmware. What difference is there now that chips like DSP are supported?
You must be having a faulty memory. I'm still on the previous JB firmware and double checked to make sure. Super Mario Kart gives the expansion chips not supported error like it always has, as do all DSP chip games, as they have not been supported up to this point.

Unless there is a romhack that removes the DSP dependency but I'm not aware of anything like that.

Last edited:

Jayde Six

Feb 2, 2019
Can someone please confirm behaviour that I am seeing with the new jailbreak? I set up my usual 5x integer settings, saved everything and then tried out all the special chip games I was interested in, all good. But then on powering off and restarting the video settings are saved but don't actually apply until you go back into the video options and press any button, then they take effect. I can't be alone in having this problem?

Haven't checked it out on the latest one yet but the same thing happened on an earlier jailbreak. So best thing to do is report it on the github and hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Dumb question....so the new Super NT firmware download three folders in the zip. Do I move all three onto the SD card or only the .bin? What are the other two folders for?

the .bin is the update file. that updates the firmware of the system and you delete the file after you complete the update

The Bios folder contains files for the FPGA to emulate the special chips, SPC folder is for SPC files for the SPC music player. You can ignore that entirely if you don't plan to use that feature. And the SYSTEM folder contains the SPC player core file

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
That's a welcome surprise! Interesting he'd choose to implement ST-011, which is one of the 3 not supported by the SD2SNES, and only one extremely uninteresting Shogi game uses it.

I do wonder if he'll implement the SuperFX and SA-1 down the line. SD2SNES's is great, but those cores don't seem to run at an accurate speed in the case of GSU, and with some timing errors in the case of SA-1. I'd love to see that stuff get ironed out in firmware updates to the SD2SNES, but I haven't seen anywhere that RedGuy plans to do further work on them, since he removed "WIP" status from both of them.

I think kevtris in the past had said the issue with SA1 and Super FX is that there's not enough memory bandwidth for those chips to run along with the snes core.

Last edited:

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think kevtris in the past had sai the issue with SA1 and Super FX is that there's not enough memory bandwidth for those chips to run along with the snes core.

Yeah my understanding is it's practically a miracle Redguy got those cores running on the SD2SNES, and that cart doesn't have an SNES system core

Status
Not open for further replies.