• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emalem

Oct 28, 2017
Is anyone else having trouble saving in Chrono Trigger?
I use the original cart and when I try to save just at the beginning of the gam the file is named "The Trial". It shows playtime 99:59. If I exit menu and go back again the save file is gone. Very strange!

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I received a Super NT for Christmas and I love it. I haven't had any troubles with it reading my games or erasing saves so far, thankfully. It looks great and feels really responsive and great to play. I have it right next to the AVS I got for Christmas the year before which is also terrific.

I'm still on the firmware the Super NT shipped with, but from what I have seen the jailbroken firmware will allow me to dump my actual carts and play them from the SD card. Is this correct? Is there any downside to this and are most people using the jailbreak?

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing is that you can't play any special chip games from the sd card with the jailbreak firmware. I have an SD2SNES so I never bothered with the jailbreak firmware.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Totally saw this thread and was like "man I'm gonna pull the trigger, my bday is coming up" and "that transparent is SICK!"

... discontinued transparent :(

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
But seriously, I haven't kept up with this, if I want to play my carts of my modern tv, this thing is still awesome right?

Might ask for the SFC version for bday.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of get the appeal of this (high quality output, no emulation), but can't convince myself to go for it.

I have a perfectly fine¸ regular SNES hooked up to a quality CRT and don't find the setup lacking in any way. It serves the exact purpose of replicating my childhood experience, flawlessly.

And if I absolutely need to play a SNES game on my regular TV, I'm fine with emulation. Retro gaming on huge flatscreen is hardly authentic to begin with.

I guess I'm just not the target audience.

Last edited:

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
The previous owner of the games tried it before shipping to me. He seems honsest.
Maybe I should re-install the firmware on the NT?

It still sounds like a dead battery to me. If you have the ability to do so I would try swapping the battery out. Do you have other battery backed up games that save fine on it? If so it definitely has a dead battery. These batteries are all on their last legs, so in the few days it took to package and ship to you it could easily have given up its final juice.

Sorry if this has been answered before but what are the best settings to have set to when connected to a 4K TV?

I have a 4k set. I don't use scanlines so I have mine set to 1080p and do a 5x scale, so my width is 1462, and my height is 1200. A little bit gets cut off on the top and bottom but it amounts to just a couple of pixels if I remember right. I also disable V interpolation but leave H interpolation on. 1080p is just a 2x scale to 4k. 4k's actual resolution is 3840 x 2160, 1080p is 1920 x 1080.

If you're going to use scanlines, the scanlines at 720p are supposed to be better, but I don't know what settings people use for that as I don't use scanlines, or run mine at 720p.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of get the appeal of this (high quality output, no emulation), but can't convince myself to go for it.

I have a perfectly fine¸ regular SNES hooked up to a quality CRT and don't find the setup lacking in any way. It serves the exact purpose of replicating my childhood experience, flawlessly.

And if I absolutely need to play a SNES game on my regular TV, I'm fine with emulation. Retro gaming on huge flatscreen is hardly authentic to begin with.

I guess I'm just not the target audience.

No I would say you're not. If I had a quality CRT TV I would have zero reason to buy one. Then SNES/SFC all the way. For my 720p TV, it's amazing.

Smaug18

Dec 15, 2017
Is anyone else having trouble saving in Chrono Trigger?
I use the original cart and when I try to save just at the beginning of the gam the file is named "The Trial". It shows playtime 99:59. If I exit menu and go back again the save file is gone. Very strange!

This sounds like the battery in the cart is dead and needs to be replaced.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
My wife let me get a Super NT and matching 8bitdo controller as an early Valentine's Day present. It get's here Thursday!

I still have my OG SNES that I've owned since I bought it in 1992. I had it hooked up with a SCART>HDMI adapter. It was an okay but not great solution. I have the SNES Classic as well, and while the save states are great, I really like the physical nature of popping in cartridges from my collection.

Looking forward to replaying some of my favorites in HD!

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
My wife let me get a Super NT and matching 8bitdo controller as an early Valentine's Day present. It get's here Thursday!

I still have my OG SNES that I've owned since I bought it in 1992. I had it hooked up with a SCART>HDMI adapter. It was an okay but not great solution. I have the SNES Classic as well, and while the save states are great, I really like the physical nature of popping in cartridges from my collection.

As a person going on a year messing with this thing here is my advice from my experience so far. Naturally feel free to disregard as much as you like, I'm just using this as an excuse to write this stuff down since I've been meaning to for a while now.

Once the honeymoon of plugging in your carts/picking up more games is over, which don't get me wrong I still enjoy but not for day to day play, consider jailbreaking and dumping your carts. Having a personal library of your roms and saves just feels cool and of course is convenient to be able to swap between games without getting off the couch.

I wrote instructions here, as well as how to extract the games from the SNES classic as a bonus.

The jailbreak is great and all but does have some limitations (no special chips) and quirks (saving is weird) so at some point consider "upgrading" to an SD2SNES. The pro was recently announced so might as well wait for that to launch as a bare minimum. I personally debated doing this for many months, as it isn't cheap, and finally jumped on the Black Friday deal and am very happy I did. It really completes the package and the flexibility of being to go back and plug it into original hardware for sanity checks is huge for me.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands

It's a fantastic console and support has been great. Easily the best solution for you retro Nintendo games in HD. Enjoy.

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding what resolution to use for 4K, keep in mind that from 240p, it's a 3x integer scale to get to 720p, and then another 3x integer scale from 720p -> 2160p, so perfect integer scaling all the way. For 1080p, it's a 4.5x scale from 240p -> 1080p, so you're not going to get a clean integer scale 4K without doing some black borders.

I don't see any reason to output to 1080p if you have a 4k set. 1080p output is only useful if you have a 1080p set.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
The less scaling being done by the TV the better. I have a 4K set, 1080p looks sharper on it than 720p, as it will on pretty much all of the tvs out there. TVs don't really have scalers in them that are good or meant for classic retro video games. They're meant for live action where a softer upscale can look better. So that's what you're going to get from it, the less of that scaling that it does the sharper the overall image is going to be. If you could send a 4k signal to a 4k set that would be the ideal, but overall the closer to the native resolution of the panel the better.

Oct 25, 2017
The less scaling being done by the TV the better. I have a 4K set, 1080p looks sharper on it than 720p, as it will on pretty much all of the tvs out there. TVs don't really have scalers in them that are good or meant for classic retro video games. They're meant for live action where a softer upscale can look better. So that's what you're going to get from it, the less of that scaling that it does the sharper the overall image is going to be. If you could send a 4k signal to a 4k set that would be the ideal, but overall the closer to the native resolution of the panel the better.

A good 4k TV should allow perfect integer scaling from both 720p and 1080p; that is, a 720p image on a 4k TV should look 100% identical to a 720p image on a 1280x720 panel (in reality there are extremely few of these).
I suppose if you have an LG TV which forces stupid upscaling filters instead of just displaying a perfect 720p image, that might be a consideration.

So, I guess, if you have a Samsung TV, or one that similarly allows bilinear scaling instead of soft upscaling algorithms, use 720p.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
The jailbreak is great and all but does have some limitations (no special chips) and quirks (saving is weird) so at some point consider "upgrading" to an SD2SNES. The pro was recently announced so might as well wait for that to launch as a bare minimum. I personally debated doing this for many months, as it isn't cheap, and finally jumped on the Black Friday deal and am very happy I did. It really completes the package and the flexibility of being to go back and plug it into original hardware for sanity checks is huge for me.
I am definitely considering the SD2SNES for convenience and the support for special chips (curious what the PRO will provide!). I still love the collectability of carts though. I just bought repros of Bahamut Lagoon, Secret of Mana 2, and Terranigma. I know there are cheaper ways to play those games, but cartridges look so nice on the shelf...

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I am definitely considering the SD2SNES for convenience and the support for special chips (curious what the PRO will provide!). I still love the collectability of carts though. I just bought repros of Bahamut Lagoon, Secret of Mana 2, and Terranigma. I know there are cheaper ways to play those games, but cartridges look so nice on the shelf...

SA-1 chip games + MSU-1 audio hacks at the same time
Possible future save states
Possible future Super Game Boy emulation

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I finally got my SD2SNES in the mail a couple days ago, but I haven't messed with it yet. I'm having trouble finding guides on how to actually set it up.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
A good 4k TV should allow perfect integer scaling from both 720p and 1080p; that is, a 720p image on a 4k TV should look 100% identical to a 720p image on a 1280x720 panel (in reality there are extremely few of these).
I suppose if you have an LG TV which forces stupid upscaling filters instead of just displaying a perfect 720p image, that might be a consideration.

So, I guess, if you have a Samsung TV, or one that similarly allows bilinear scaling instead of soft upscaling algorithms, use 720p.

There are plenty of good and great 4k sets that won't upscale a retro game console how it should be handled. Not even all Samsungs offer bilinear scaling, I have a 4K Samsung set, and it doesn't offer this. Maybe the most recent top of the line ones do, but I bet most people out there with 4K sets don't have those sets. Plus most TV manufacturers are going to default to a softer upscale since it benefits live action far more than a sharper upscale does.

This is all besides the fact that you can do a proper 4x or 5x integer scale with the SuperNT with resolutions (and the correct aspect ratio for the SNES, with H interpolation on and V interpolation off but you'd do this regardless of the integer scale you're using) of 1170 x 960 for 4X, (which if memory serves right will give you slight black borders at the top and bottom) or 1462x1200 in 5x, which gives effectively just a few pixels being cropped on the top and bottom of the screen not unlike they would be on a CRT.

Last edited:

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got my SD2SNES in the mail a couple days ago, but I haven't messed with it yet. I'm having trouble finding guides on how to actually set it up.

You'll want to download the OS files from Krikzz's site, Ikari-01's site or from StoneAgeGamer.com, you're going to want to make a folder on your SD card (at the root) titled sd2snes, and put the OS files in there. Then its just putting folders and your roms in there, putting the sd card into your SD2snes and booting it up.

Here's the link to Ikari-01's page for it https://sd2snes.de/blog/downloads

Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of good and great 4k sets that won't upscale a retro game console how it should be handled. Not even all Samsungs offer bilinear scaling, I have a 4K Samsung set, and it doesn't offer this. Maybe the most recent top of the line ones do, but I bet most people out there with 4K sets don't have those sets. Plus most TV manufacturers are going to default to a softer upscale since it benefits live action far more than a sharper upscale does.
I have the MU9000, and it doesn't by default, but if I set an input to PC mode, it bypasses all the upscaling algorithms; it's way, way better than Game mode which for some reason they still feel like smearing to hell and back.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Got my Super NT last night, but didn't have much chance to play around with it. On my 4K TV, 1080p output looked sharper and cleaner than 720p, but I did not adjust any settings on my TV (PC or Game picture settings).

Played some Final Fantasy II, Super Mario World, Link to the Past. They all looked and sounded great. No noticable input lag, and the 8Bitdo controller was nearly perfect, but it did lose sync once. Not sure if it's a hiccup or a symptom...

I installed the jailbreak firmware on it as well, as there are some ROM hacks I really want to try out on it. I loaded FF IV Ultima and started playing that rather than replay FFII for the 20th time.

I'm excited to get some real quality time on it this weekend, but I can already tell I've made a great purchase. Best console of all time, but now in perfect, razor sharp digital HD!

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
The Nt mini could play GB/GBC games, right? Any news about plans to add more cores to the Super Nt? Is a GBA core feasible?

SA-1 chip games + MSU-1 audio hacks at the same time
Possible future save states
Possible future Super Game Boy emulation

Wait... there is going to be another SD2SNES version called Pro?

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Ordered the SD2SNES Pro today. Hopefully it gets here before the end of March. I've gone a little crazy the past month buying games, but it will be nice to run everything from one cart instead of swapping them out.

Loving the NT, and I just as impressed with how the 8Bitdo controller feels.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Wait... there is going to be another SD2SNES version called Pro?

The FPGA in the SD2SNES went end of life like a year or two ago, and they haven't been able to buy it directly from the manufacturer for some time now. Because of this they've been paying a premium for them and supply is running out. So they had to find a new FPGA to put into it, and they were able to find a more powerful one for less money. There is talks about it being able to MAYBE do Super Gameboy, probably MSU-1 + SA1/SFX stuff at the same time, and I THINK there was talk about proper save states with this new chip. There was also one or two other obscure special chips (used on like a small handful of Japanese games) that may be possible now. That's looking to be the only difference but none of that is out yet. All that said, they are selling the pro for the same price as the previous one, and StoneAgeGamer is going to be offering a trade in deal, depending on your revision of SD2SNES you could be looking at something like 70 - 100 bucks towards an SD2SNES Pro. Although you should have no problem selling your SD2SNES on ebay for almost the price you paid for it, to fund your pro if you wanted it.

Oct 26, 2017
The Nt mini could play GB/GBC games, right? Any news about plans to add more cores to the Super Nt? Is a GBA core feasible?

After the NT mini & Super NT, Analogue must have realized that there is simply too much money to made from dedicated FPGA consoles. They'll likely never release new cores for the Super NT or upcoming Mega SG. What they gave us with the NT & NT mini was a gift... if you are lucky enough to own one.

Unfortunately I couldn't afford either NT console when they originally released. And I definitely can't afford their current second-hand market going price of around $1,000.00 USD.

So, onto the SD2SNES Pro. I'm thinking of finally getting into all this everdrive and flash cart business. It sounds like the SD2SNES is the best there is for the SNES. But who is SmokeMonster and what the "packs" I've seen mentioned?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the original NES model set a bar, which I think helped the SNES version succeed. Unfortunately at least for me, expectations weren't met there.. and boom on to the MD.

I wish they'd at least do a plastic Nt Mini, or heck another run just like they originally did.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I wish I had known there was a new SD2SNES coming out. I ordered one during StoneAgeGamer's Black Friday sale and just got it a few weeks ago.

Oct 25, 2017
But who is SmokeMonster and what the "packs" I've seen mentioned?

Until about a year ago SmokeMonster distributed rom packs for flash carts. They included translations, hacks and other oddities.

To avoid concerns around piracy he stopped distributing the packs themselves and focused on releasing lists instead. These wouldn't include the roms but I think they detail things like the checksum of each file so you can validate your own files that you've dumped yourself.

He does a few other things as well around FPGA consoles and other retro adjacent stuff.

Wolfram

Nov 6, 2018
Holy shit...My Super NT is here and ready to be picked up at the DHL drop off point...Waaaaa..Check your email guys....From the US all the way to Europe in 2 days for 40 usd...I can't complain..Gonna post pictures as soon as I get back.

Hi, a couple of questions... In which country do you live? Did you have to pay any additional customs fees/VAT/etc? Tnx

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
After the NT mini & Super NT, Analogue must have realized that there is simply too much money to made from dedicated FPGA consoles. They'll likely never release new cores for the Super NT or upcoming Mega SG. What they gave us with the NT & NT mini was a gift... if you are lucky enough to own one.

Actually this has nothing to do with it. Analogue is avoiding having anything to do with supporting roms at all costs. The jailbreak for the NT Mini didn't void your warranty, but Analogue disavowed any support for it beyond repairing your hardware if you used the unofficial jailbreak firmware. The Super NT only has a SNES slot so it only get a SNES core. The Mega SG will only support additional cores because they are releasing cartridge adapters for those cores. After all three of their products are out, Analogue will only officially support playing games through the cartridge slot, and thus only NES for NT Mini, SNES for Super NT, and Genesis/Mega Drive, Game Gear, Master System and SG1000 for the Mega SG will be supported.

Kevtris, who designed the NT Mini, Super NT and Mega SG, had over a decade worth of work on consoles he had made fgpa cores of and was awesome enough to release them for free to buyers of the NT Mini. Since then he has not even had the time to port the Intellivision core to the NT Mini which he has wanted to do for almost 2 years now. He works a full time job and spends nearly every other waking moment working on whatever project Analogue pays him to be working on. The reason none of the cores have come to the Super NT is strictly due to this fact. Kevtris wants his work out there for people to enjoy, but he's just that strapped for time that the cores are unlikely to be ported to any of the new hardware unless Analogue gives him some extended time off. And even then he'd be giving up his own free time to do it. He's such a workaholic that if he actually does get some free time someday he probably will spend it putting his cores out there for Analogue buyers.

tldr: Analogue will never officially support cores you can't play the original media of through the cartridge slot for legal reasons, and Kevtris gave away over a decade worth of his work for free to NT Mini buyers because he's just that cool a guy. Hope for him to get an extended vacation at some point if you ever hope to see those cores ported elsewhere.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Krikzz just shipped my SD2SNES Pro today!

I'm really interested in some MSU-1 hacks. Are there any that are highly recommended?

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't even considered getting a flash cart for a reason like this. What's the improvement?

MSU1 is a theoretical chip that adds the functionality that a CD add-on would have allowed. Here is Chrono Trigger.

And while you are at it, check this shit out. Seeing this pump out of an SNES is really quite an experience.

Last edited:

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Is there a MSU1 version of Chrono Trigger without the anime cutscenes? I don't want them in the game. They're the reason I would never play the MSU1 version.

Does the MSU1 version of Final Fantasy VI add a vocal version of the opera to it? I always hated how they put a vocal version of the song in the sound patch for the GBA version.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a MSU1 version of Chrono Trigger without the anime cutscenes? I don't want them in the game. They're the reason I would never play the MSU1 version.

Does the MSU1 version of Final Fantasy VI add a vocal version of the opera to it? I always hated how they put a vocal version of the song in the sound patch for the GBA version.
Someone asked about the opposite on RH.NET (include videos but keep original music) and it seems like it is possible so I'd assume you could do the opposite as well.

Yes, that is possible. Just apply the patch, but don't include the .pcm's (at least not the tracks <100, you'll still need the video tracks). In fact, I'd be interested to hear feedback on someone playing through that way to make sure I didn't break anything in the SPC fallback code. Same deal, play up through Proto Dome and send me a PM, and please report any issues you experience.

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017
Yesterday something weird happened, I loaded a game (Mazinger) on my JB SNT. As soon as the intro animation started I pressed START to skip, but all I got was a black screen with the music still playing. I reloaded the game and it worked fine. Tried many other several times but could not replicate the issue. Any ideas? I'm using the original PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.