• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Do we have any indication yet of the actual release date? Based on the previous systems is it likely to be early in the month or later?

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This looks amazing, but I've been holding off on buying the Super NT and the Mega Sg until they finally sell the DAC adapter for CRT tv's.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
Neat. I hope they announce those other cartridge adapters soon, I was getting pretty excited after seeing units doing the rounds on twitter.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Is it required to have an SD card to do firmware updates? Will have to buy one if so as I don't think I have a spare anywhere.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
D1tfaLmW0AAQykP.png:large

Yesss.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a recommendation on where to get a good, refurbished Sega CD console? Finally time to get one I guess.

How does it hook up to the Mega SG?

spool

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, SD card. Great. I suppose I'll have to shelf the Sg until I can solve that then.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, cant wait to play my X-Men cart again! I wonder how it will fare wit the level that forced you to re-start the console to proceed?

SikSlayer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a fan of the default font used, but there's so much going on with the Mega SG's UI that has me otherwise salivating.
So very many options... including to deal with the font.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see it loaded onto a Model 2 Sega CD as its what I plan to do with mine. Very cool to see it shipping early. I'll be out of town next week but I should be back in time to throw some games at it. It will look nice next to my Super NT and my RetroUSB AVS.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be down for one of these if I hadn't offloaded all of my Genesis games years ago :(

The Super NT is amazing, and I'm sure this is equally good.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Splurged and got a Model 1 SCD on eBay from a seller that specializes in refurbishing old hardware. Hopefully it lasts a long time.

I always wanted one as a kid, it's great to finally own one. :)

What's funny is what it looks like sitting on a Sega CD model 1.

Is it weird that I kinda find how it looks endearing? I wonder how this looks on a Model 2 SCD.

Also just seeing that picture is just making me think how cool it'll be to use the SG and SCD together. Old and new working in tandem to make what could be the ultimate Genesis machine.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I was at a used book/movie/game store yesterday and they had a used model 2 Genesis and Sega CD for $170. I was tempted to get it for the SG, but that was so much money. I couldn't bring myself to get it.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
I was at a used book/movie/game store yesterday and they had a used model 2 Genesis and Sega CD for $170. I was tempted to get it for the SG, but that was so much money. I couldn't bring myself to get it.
Yeah that is too much. I bought mine stand alone a month ago for $99. A local shop had a Model 2 Genesis, Model 2 Sega CD and a 32x for $120 about two months ago and I decided to hold off until the weekend and it was gone by then. :/

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Any of ya sega heads out there pick up one of those Mega Everdrives ? Is it really worth the money for the X5 over an X3 ? It doesn't really seem like cut and dry solution like the SD2SNES was where it was hands down worth the cash over a standard snes everdrive...

One of my friends pre-ordered his SG the day they went up and is pretty excited about the next couple weeks. I might grab one down the road myself but am looking at one of those SD card carts for the convenience. I realize there will probably be alternative firmware made available within a couple weeks of the systems launch too but I like having options.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Is there a reason to want this if you have a Genesis system with Scart hooked up? Curious if this has any perks since i'm not too savvy on their stuff.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Any of ya sega heads out there pick up one of those Mega Everdrives ? Is it really worth the money for the X5 over an X3 ? It doesn't really seem like cut and dry solution like the SD2SNES was where it was hands down worth the cash over a standard snes everdrive...

One of my friends pre-ordered his SG the day they went up and is pretty excited about the next couple weeks. I might grab one down the road myself but am looking at one of those SD card carts for the convenience. I realize there will probably be alternative firmware made available within a couple weeks of the systems launch too but I like having options.

If you like the flexibility of an everdrive (I'm considering picking one up as well) and don't feel like going big with the X7 I would at least go for the X5. The no reset save may seem small but I'm a pretty firm believer in the less you need to think about save management the better. The way the jailbreak typically handles it in previous systems is even worse, as well. It is very easy to shoot yourself in the foot if not being mindful.

Is there a reason to want this if you have a Genesis system with Scart hooked up? Curious if this has any perks since i'm not too savvy on their stuff.

I assume you have an OSSC, or the likes, as well? The appeal is mostly the all in one solution in a simple package. If you already have all the pieces together it is likely to feel a bit redundant.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
If you like the flexibility of an everdrive (I'm considering picking one up as well) and don't feel like going big with the X7 I would at least go for the X5. The no reset save may seem small but I'm a pretty firm believer in the less you need to think about save management the better. The way the jailbreak typically handles it in previous systems is even worse, as well. It is very easy to shoot yourself in the foot if not being mindful.

I assume you have an OSSC, or the likes, as well? The appeal is mostly the all in one solution in a simple package. If you already have all the pieces together it is likely to feel a bit redundant.

I use a framemeister since I need good compatibility due to owning like 25 systems that can use it. I still like to keep up with this stuff in case it offers something unique.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I use a framemeister since I need good compatibility due to owning like 25 systems that can use it. I still like to keep up with this stuff in case it offers something unique.
Audio quality will be the biggest thing this will offer over original hardware + OSSC/FM

It's up to you, if you care about that enough or not. I'm crazy, so hell yeah I do. Though I don't need much convincing to buy simplified, compact, digital, accurate, clone machines for modern AV setups to begin with. heh

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I've got some stuff that checks the accuracy of the Z80's R register simulation, if you can think of any other fringe test cases I'm all ears.

If you/they want to break out the oscilloscope for something like this I'd be pleased as spiked punch.

Ideally they get the percussion right at least but there are a couple places where the sound is built around the SSG effects producing LFO hum and resonance effects. It's nothing too fancy but something that might differ between the original and the implementation they've come up with. It's also pretty loud. This shouldn't be an issue for a signal coming out of a stock Genesis due to how the sound is mixed in those, but that may not necessarily be the case for how the SG does it (i.e., the sound coming out of the SG may be overdriven in a way that a stock Genesis -- esp. a model 1 -- wouldn't be due to how it's mixed and attenuated).

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you/they want to break out the oscilloscope for something like this I'd be pleased as spiked punch.

Ideally they get the percussion right at least but there are a couple places where the sound is built around the SSG effects producing LFO hum and resonance effects. It's nothing too fancy but something that might differ between the original and the implementation they've come up with. It's also pretty loud. This shouldn't be an issue for a signal coming out of a stock Genesis due to how the sound is mixed in those, but that may not necessarily be the case for how the SG does it (i.e., the sound coming out of the SG may be overdriven in a way that a stock Genesis -- esp. a model 1 -- wouldn't be due to how it's mixed and attenuated).

I don't have an ear for the actual sound quality, both from a technical stand point and from a medical standpoint (I have poor hearing overall and slight tinnitus as well). All I can test is the big bugs in hardware, i.e. things that would actually halt the z80.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017

Played 8 hours of Shining Force 2 on my Mega Everdrive V1 (x5 equiv sorta). Got up, walked over to the Mega Drive. Hit the off button.

Did not press the reset button.

Buy the x7.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Spent too much on eBay and CEX lately buying some extra games for my collection in preparation for the Mega SG. Partially trying to recreate my collection from when I was a kid as well. So far I've bought:

Bubsy
Bubsy 2
X-Men
Golden Axe 2
Mega Games 2
Robocop vs Terminator
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers the Movie
Rocket Knight Adventures
James Bond 007 The Duel
Flashback
Toejam & Earl
Rolling Thunder 2
Captain America & The Avengers
Skitchin
Shadow Dancer The Secret of Shinobi
Desert Strike
Jungle Strike
Urban Strike
Comix Zone

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Played 8 hours of Shining Force 2 on my Mega Everdrive V1 (x5 equiv sorta). Got up, walked over to the Mega Drive. Hit the off button.

Did not press the reset button.

Buy the x7.

FYI the X5 does support saves without reset, it just doesn't do save states. The x7 is the only one with save states.

Also, for what it's worth, I would assume the X7 is safe for the Analogue sg. That db electronics article scared me enough to sell my X7 and just stick with the X5 for my original hardware, so that's what I'll also be using on the sg.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Spent too much on eBay and CEX lately buying some extra games for my collection in preparation for the Mega SG. Partially trying to recreate my collection from when I was a kid as well. So far I've bought:

Bubsy
Bubsy 2
X-Men
Golden Axe 2
Mega Games 2
Robocop vs Terminator
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers the Movie
Rocket Knight Adventures
James Bond 007 The Duel
Flashback
Toejam & Earl
Rolling Thunder 2
Captain America & The Avengers
Skitchin
Shadow Dancer The Secret of Shinobi
Desert Strike
Jungle Strike
Urban Strike
Comix Zone
Omg this is exactly what I've been doing too, spent a mini fortune haha! I've got some bargains off eBay buy games like Streets of Rage 2 still command a high price.

Some good games on that list to inspire me!

Do the CEX games come with manuals? It doesn't say on their site, only if boxed.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Oof. I'd be all over this if I didn't sell my entire Genesis/MD collection.

All I have left now is a loose Story of Thor (Beyond Oasis JP) cart and Sword of Vermillion.

Status
Not open for further replies.