• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (3 days): please do not discuss or admit to piracy on the forum
The MiSTer FPGA with its Mega Drive core (which is still pretty new) handles Overdrive 2 quite well, though with quite a few noticeable stumbles; even if it they don't on the Sg at first, they can probably patch it. :)

For comparison, Overdrive 2 on Genesis Plus GX (top right) is riddled with errors, including the sound turning into a flat tone.

Talking of which, I was very keen on getting a Mega Sg, but now that I have a MiSTer I'm not sure what added value I'll get (I don't have original carts to play)

killersquirel

Oct 27, 2017
I pre-ordered a Mega Sg and also recently picked up the MiSTer. I and curious what the differences will be between the two at first. I'm awaiting my add-on boards to take complete advantage of the MiSTer, although it's not needed for the Genesis core. I know one benefit of the Mega Sg will be to use it with the Mega Everdrive X7 and use save states to save all of my high scores on the arcade conversations.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this looks great and surprisingly not as expensive as I was expecting.

What's the availability of these things like after the launch period? I have a terrible record of waiting for stuff like this then missing out.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I pre-ordered a Mega Sg and also recently picked up the MiSTer. I and curious what the differences will be between the two at first. I'm awaiting my add-on boards to take complete advantage of the MiSTer, although it's not needed for the Genesis core. I know one benefit of the Mega Sg will be to use it with the Mega Everdrive X7 and use save states to save all of my high scores on the arcade conversations.
Mega Sg is likely to be the most accurate core to original hardware, as well the cartridge adapters meaning highly accurate cores for those respective systems as well.

The MiSTer has the benefit of open source and on going communal support. Analogue typically drops off any major updates to the system relatively quickly so what you get out of the box should round out your expectations for the system as a whole, and anything added post launch is gravy.

Basically the Sg is likely to be the strongest hardware recreation at launch but who knows what this stuff looks like 3-5 years from now.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Mega Sg is likely to be the most accurate core to original hardware, as well the cartridge adapters meaning highly accurate cores for those respective systems as well.

The MiSTer has the benefit of open source and on going communal support. Analogue typically drops off any major updates to the system relatively quickly so what you get out of the box should round out your expectations for the system as a whole, and anything added post launch is gravy.

Basically the Sg is likely to be the strongest hardware recreation at launch but who knows what this stuff looks like 3-5 years from now.
I don't know. The MC68k core has been perfected for a while now and I don't see the Mega SG as beeing worth the price down the road, especially when it costs more than a full Mister setup.

I'm already expecting the SNES core to leave the Super NT behind prety soon once special chips are fully implemented.

I still have the SG on preorder though because I'm an idiot :p

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. The MC68k core has been perfected for a while now and I don't see the Mega SG as beeing worth the price down the road, especially when it costs more than a full Mister setup.

I'm already expecting the SNES core to leave the Super NT behind prety soon once special chips are fully implemented.

I still have the SG on preorder though because I'm an idiot :p
How's the sound chip? Last I checked it still needed work but has been some time.

MiSTer is also still way down the hobbyist device hole in terms of setup and overall usability. I dig the project but it is still pretty far removed from being able to point my average friend at and saying plug in your Sonic the hedgehog in and go.

But as mentioned I only see this stuff getting way more interesting over the next few years.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
How's the sound chip? Last I checked it still needed work but has been some time.

MiSTer is also still way down the hobbyist device hole in terms of setup and overall usability. I dig the project but it is still pretty far removed from being able to point my average friend at and saying plug in your Sonic the hedgehog in and go.

But as mentioned I only see this stuff getting way more interesting over the next few years.
But is your friend going to drop 220$-250$ to plug in Sonic and play?

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
When I brought my Super NT into work a bunch of people I work with easily dropped the bills on it, to play their SNES games on an HDTV. Talking to them about the MiSTer and its "that's too much work to set up" .

Plug N Play goes a long way with the average consumer. Plus being able to use their actual carts/Sega CD hardware/games makes a difference. Same with the controllers. You're not just paying for the cores.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Once MiSTer matures a bit more, to a point where compatibility and accuracy is high (I know on this point at least progress is being rapidly made) and it's easy and inexpensive to find prebuilt MiSTers, then I'll be interested. For now it leans a bit too far on the hobbyist side of things for me, or I presume most people, to be interested.

I can't even be arsed to make a Raspberry Pi. Perusing our very own MiSTer thread here on Era made me twitch a few times. I build and maintain a hackintosh for work at home, and that about sucks up all my tech patience.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
These delays make me question buying one of these things.

Also, the chances of this coming with a "jailbroken" firmware = 100%?

SoH

Oct 25, 2017

Nah, don't sweat it. It was pretty clear from the start the DAC was a pet project. Their reputation for shipping once they've actually started taking pre-orders is in good standing. I have no doubt the Sg will start shipping around April or whatever the date is, too lazy to go check.

Jailbreak stuff has gotten a bit weird with the GitHub and all. I'd say chances are still quite high but I'd price out an everdrive and have it in the back of your head if that functionality is super important to you. Better to have your options figured out rather than being super bitter over something that was never outright promised.

Edit: I guess in the effort of full disclosure I think they did once have a short delay with the nt mini due to the entire freight getting caught up in customs. Hard to get too mad at them for that and it was like a month at worst. But who knows what can happen with the govt shutdown.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people are expecting the scanlines at 1080p to be fixed before the Mega SG ships. There is one person basically designing this stuff, and he's currently tied up doing the Mega SG. I mean they've all but officially said this. Coming in here every few weeks to bitch that 1080p Scanlines on the Super NT still aren't fixed is petty and lame.

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017
Why would they ship another product before they fix the one before? I cancelled my MegaSG pre-order, won't buy it until they fix scanlines. Meanwhile I'll enjoy Megadrive on my Mister. With good scanlines.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people are expecting the scanlines at 1080p to be fixed before the Mega SG ships. There is one person basically designing this stuff, and he's currently tied up doing the Mega SG. I mean they've all but officially said this. Coming in here every few weeks to bitch that 1080p Scanlines on the Super NT still aren't fixed is petty and lame.
No people are right to bitch about something that has been an issue since day one and still isn't fixed one year later. Mega SG existing or this beeing a one man's job are no excuses.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping to see those extra cartridge adapters drop in the near future. Want that Game Gear one.

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
No people are right to bitch about something that has been an issue since day one and still isn't fixed one year later. Mega SG existing or this beeing a one man's job are no excuses.

Sure, but bringing it up constantly when its already known that its not going to be addressed till after the Mega SG ships is petty. Hey I know you said you're not fixing this yet but this is still broken. Hey this is still broken, hey why isn't this fixed when you said its not going to be addressed till after something else is done.

What is the fucking point. It's like coming in here and bitching that the SG hasn't shipped yet, when you know it shouldn't have. Kevtris has said he's not going back to the 1080p scanlines till after the Mega SG ships. Its not happening right now, bitching about it in this thread every couple of weeks accomplishes nothing.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile I'll enjoy Megadrive on my Mister. With good scanlines.

Right. Which is a point you've made more than once just on this page alone. I guess I'm not quite sure why you're here if you now have a product that fixed what your issue was with the Super NT and what presumably might be an issue with the SG. I'm (and you too at the top of this page) also not sure why you'd buy an SG if you have a MiSTer.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Officially it is for FW updates but the renders show the console has a SD card slot like the SuperNt.

And I'm not 100% certain but I don't think the MegaSG will have the "special chips" problem playing games off of SD with less (no?) genesis/MD drives using them.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Time to find all the local retro stores in this area and dive back into Craig's.

Edit: Haha I thought this thread was new and that there was a new development or something.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
Officially it is for FW updates but the renders show the console has a SD card slot like the SuperNt.

And I'm not 100% certain but I don't think the MegaSG will have the "special chips" problem playing games off of SD with less (no?) genesis/MD drives using them.

Virtua Racing etc

JPS

Oct 27, 2017
Kevtris has said he's not going back to the 1080p scanlines till after the Mega SG ships. Its not happening right now, bitching about it in this thread every couple of weeks accomplishes nothing.
The problem resulted from Kevtris's / Analogues behavior:
  1. Some games are still broken - Kevtris even said he had fixed some of them, but he/they never released the update. Instead they released an update for some limited edition intro screen. And Kevtris played around with some Super Nt audio player between Super Nt and Mega Sg instead of finishing that important update.
  2. There still is no easy PAL 60 mode. The current solution didn't consider European needs and many people told Kevtris how to fix it.
  3. Fix for scanlines in 1080p was promised, but never delivered.
This would be ok for some hobby project like MISTer, but leaves behind a bad taste for a commercial product, even if I like the system very much and don't care about 2+3 myself.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I thought of that right after I posted (though I only ever played the 32x port), just not sure how widespread they are compared to the SFC/SNES library.
Virtua Racing was the only game to use the SVP chip, and I'm not aware of any other Genesis games that used enhancement chips.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
The Sega Genesis was my first console. I need this

spool

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Some games are still broken - Kevtris even said he had fixed some of them, but he/they never released the update. Instead they released an update for some limited edition intro screen. And Kevtris played around with some Super Nt audio player between Super Nt and Mega Sg instead of finishing that important update.
  2. There still is no easy PAL 60 mode. The current solution didn't consider European needs and many people told Kevtris how to fix it.
This would be ok for some hobby project like MISTer, but leaves behind a bad taste for a commercial product, even if I like the system very much and don't care about 2+3 myself.

Wait. What's wrong with PAL, and does that mean anything for the Mega Sg?

Most of my library is PAL and given that this is supposed to be the ultimate way to play your old games, I just assumed that they'd have a solution for this.

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017

You can't say it was promised but never delivered when its been said its coming after the Mega SG. I'll give you it's really frustrating not seeing these things updated, I totally understand and get that. I'm just saying some of this stuff was promised AFTER the Mega SG shipped. Not before it. Kevtris has said before he's going to return to the SuperNT firmware but doesn't have the time while getting the Mega SG done and working his main job. That's all I'm saying. Anyone assuming he was going to get it done before the Mega SG shipped, when he said that wasn't happening and then bitching about it not happening is just being petty IMHO. I get that people want the fixes, but he said when they're coming, and that's not till after the Mega SG.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Kevtris has said before he's going to return to the SuperNT firmware but doesn't have the time while getting the Mega SG done and working his main job.
I think the only problem here is putting it off until not time constrained assumes there will be a later when time is not so constrained. When the reality is as soon as the Sg launches he will likely be locked up in supporting it for a month after, and then on to the next project where he will again be severely time constrained. Just like what happened with the Nt mini and the intellivision core, or the super nt and discussed above.

Rather than admitting they have a problem they need to work towards a solution for with an engineering team's duties being funneled through one person who will be time constrained in perpetuity due to the nature of their business model.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but bringing it up constantly when its already known that its not going to be addressed till after the Mega SG ships is petty. Hey I know you said you're not fixing this yet but this is still broken. Hey this is still broken, hey why isn't this fixed when you said its not going to be addressed till after something else is done.

What is the fucking point. It's like coming in here and bitching that the SG hasn't shipped yet, when you know it shouldn't have. Kevtris has said he's not going back to the 1080p scanlines till after the Mega SG ships. Its not happening right now, bitching about it in this thread every couple of weeks accomplishes nothing.
The point is that people want the advertised features to work. Analog's lack of communication and advancement on that front can lead people away from future fpga systems since they drop them prety quickly for the new 230$ toy (shipping included) they want to sell.

This gives an incredibly poor customer service and product support expectancy.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
The point is that people want the advertised features to work. Analog's lack of communication and advancement on that front can lead people away from future fpga systems since they drop them prety quickly for the new 230$ toy (shipping included) they want to sell.

This gives an incredibly poor customer service and product support expectancy.

Not to mention that the way that Analog has sold/run the imaging on their devices in more of a "commercial" way as opposed to other hobbyist devices lends itself to higher expectations in that regard. It being sold on the aspect of it working like anything bought from a store along with it not being as open as other fpga solutions kinda warrants those expectations as well. Yes the situation hasn't changed and the complaints can get old, but it may also let them know that the complaints are serious enough to address and to support their existing devices before selling the next one that will also need ongoing support.

Or something.

cacophony

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, cost is going to be a factor for folks, but that is a very different barrier than exposed assembly boards aimed at EE students.

To be fair, setting up MiSTer is actually easier than Retropie, and at this point Retropie is pretty mainstream. It's just with MiSTer most people don't bother with a case so it looks more technical. But the reality is that it's a very quick setup of a mircosd on your pc, plug in a few things and that's about it.

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt any one from analogue is reading this thread, so constantly complaining about it in here, doesn't accomplish letting them know anything.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt any one from analogue is reading this thread, so constantly complaining about it in here, doesn't accomplish letting them know anything.

Letting "them" know is more encompassing then just the developers of the device as the point can also be to hammer home the downfalls of the product to other users and possible buyers thus creating a feedback loop that may reach the developers. Or just annoy people in general of course.

This is coming from someone who is just a passive reader most of the time and has yet to make numinous complaints about this, but all the same I disagree with your assertion.

JPS

Oct 27, 2017
Wait. What's wrong with PAL, and does that mean anything for the Mega Sg?

Most of my library is PAL and given that this is supposed to be the ultimate way to play your old games, I just assumed that they'd have a solution for this.
On Super Nt you can't change country code (PAL/NTSC) independent from Hz (50/60). So you have to start PAL games in PAL50 and switch to NTSC60 after the region check is done, if you want to play European games with real 60Hz. This is inconvenient and doesn't work for some games that use repeated region checks during gameplay.

Offering a PAL60 mode would be an easy fix and Kevtris even said the change is possible without much effort, but instead he wasted time on other less important things (music player). I guess he was burned out from fixing things he didn't really care for, so I can understand how it happend, but in that case the Mega Sg should have released 3 months later to give him time to finish the Super Nt.

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Honestly, if as a European you're spending a fortune on one of these devices, why in God's name would you put it to use with PAL carts?

Either import everything, or go full pirate, but settling for spending money on what are essentially broken versions of games makes no sense at all.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if as a European you're spending a fortune on one of these devices, why in God's name would you put it to use with PAL carts?

Either import everything, or go full pirate, but settling for spending money on what are essentially broken versions of games makes no sense at all.
Some games were made with Europe in mind and released there first. The timing is right on those versions (compared to their NTSC counterpart)

JPS

Oct 27, 2017
A fortune? Super Nt and Mega Sg are quite cheap in my opinion if you compare them to other hardware and mods you need to play retro games on modern displays in the best possible way. For example Framemeister, EON GCHD Adapter, SD-Solutions for Dreamcast and Saturn or SD2SNES.

Super Nt and Mega Sg give you get a region free system, a good and lag-free HDMI solution with scan lines (720p) and a simple solution to play ROMs from SD card for $200 - that's not very much for a simple and complete solution IMO.

The expensive things for my SNES solution were the SD2SNES, controllers in very good condition and x in 1 repro carts of games with special chips. The Super Nt was only a fraction of the total cost for my ultimate SNES solution.

There are different kinds of users. I never had a PAL system in my life, but some people have big collections and want to use them instead of flash carts. Some games work like the NTSC version as long as you can use PAL60, so a good PAL60 option will allow users to use their existing games instead of rebuying NTSC versions, which can be very expensive with the SNES.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.