• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Currently trying to get first place on the ifrit race in Story of Thor to get one of the unlimited bows, which is as frustrating as always lol
Oh, yeah, that one's tough. Oddly, it's better to sort of take your time with it and just make sure Ifrit's positioned correctly to maximize his progress with each dash. But yeah, best of luck. XD

By the way, I know I've mentioned Beyond Oasis in discussions about BotW before, but I can't help but mention again how well Beyond Oasis did the whole weapon-breaking thing. Want a weapon that doesn't break? Go through absolute hell to get it. Haha.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
This will probably piss off a bunch of people here, but I 'pre-ordred' a JPN model yesterday with a 3-week window, and it shipped this morning.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
They're so expensive :(

Yup. :/ I only bought one pad because of that. Still using one of my OG mega drive joypads for 2P.

By the way, I know I've mentioned Beyond Oasis in discussions about BotW before, but I can't help but mention again how well Beyond Oasis did the whole weapon-breaking thing. Want a weapon that doesn't break? Go through absolute hell to get it. Haha.

Yeah, Thor does weapon breaking the best I've seen it. To begin with you have the superb fighting engine which obviously has stuff lifted from Ancient's work with streets of rage, with the high point being the cool special moves based off the original weakest but unbreakable dagger, so if you've worked hard at grasping the fighting system you end up doing more damage with the base weapon. Then you have the various breakable weapons that deal easy, large damage for specific situations, then you have unbreakable versions of the best of the different types of weapons. I love it.

I think I'd rather do the cliff jumps or the 100 pit challenge then the ifrit race lol. At least with those I know it's down to mostly skill, I'm convinced that my inputs get eaten every now and then with the double A tap for the ifirit dash.

This will probably piss off a bunch of people here, but I 'pre-ordred' a JPN model yesterday with a 3-week window, and it shipped this morning.

Unsurprising. I've said it before, but the only good part of analogue is the hardware. I don't really think much of them otherwise.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Well my EU return is landing in TX today (early). We'll see how quickly they ship out my proper JPN model. It still chaps me how they tried to coerce us into keeping the wrong units though. Like, you already screwed up. You don't need to lie on top of it.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
If a megadrive game is PAL optimized, then there is nothing filthy about the version at all. PAL optimized games run at the correct speed when played on a 50hz television, to be PAL optimized meant the programmer took into consideration the difference in timing and ensured the game ran at the correct speed no matter where played.

If the game weren't PAL optimized, that would mean it would run slower on a PAL television because it would be driven at 50 hz, but the modern HDTV standard is 60 hz world wide. Which would mean, even if you had un-optimized PAL games, you could just check the option in the menu for the Mega SG to force it to run at 60 hz, and your PAL cart would play at the correct speed on a modern television.
But not every PAL game will be working in 60hz mode or does it? I remember that being the case on some SNES games but the MD might be different of course. If there games that aren't running correctly, is there a list somewhere? Because I can't find one.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
But not every PAL game will be working in 60hz mode or does it? I remember that being the case on some SNES games but the MD might be different of course. If there games that aren't running correctly, is there a list somewhere? Because I can't find one.

Yeah I'm interested in this too, it would be useful to know what games work correctly when running at 60

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But not every PAL game will be working in 60hz mode or does it?

60 hz describes the speed of the machine. When they say, "run it at 60 hz mode," they mean run the game timed to a 60 hz screen. If the game was built for 60 hz originally, it'll run in the correct speed at 60 hz, even if it's a "PAL" game. PAL does not actually have anything to do with 50 hz or 60 hz. PAL refers to the color space encoding. PAL is a color system. NTSC is a color system. HDTV has it's own color system. PAL color systems typically operate at 50 hz. There is nothing stopping you from running a PAL color system game at 60 hz.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm astounded by Analog's amateurism with my return.

The MegaSG was returned to them (without even beeing delivered to me) and only now are they telling me that they can't refund me since the card I used to purchase it was canceled and a new one issued by the bank as a precautionary measure back in November following a string of compromised cards

They can only issue store credit since they also « stopped using paypal for security reasons » (what?) and can't refund me on my new card (which visa can easily authenticate for them as beeing issued to the same owner as the previous card).

I'm really at a loss for words.

The system has been with them for almost a week now

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

The MegaSG was returned to them (without even beeing delivered to me) and only now are they telling me that they can't refund me since the card I used to purchase it was canceled and a new one issued by the bank as a precautionary measure back in November following a string of compromised cards

They can only issue store credit since they also « stopped using paypal for security reasons » (what?) and can't refund me on my new card (which visa can easily authenticate for them as beeing issued to the same owner as the previous card).

That is something they are going to need to figure out. With them holding people's pre-pays for half a year in an era of credit card fraud..

Also I think when I encountered this before, returns were allowed via the old canceled cc number, just not new charges.

boredandlazy

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
That is something they are going to need to figure out. With them holding people's pre-pays for half a year in an era of credit card fraud..

Also I think when I encountered this before, returns were allowed via the old canceled cc number, just not new charges.

Correct. I had to change credit cards last year due to suspicious activity whilst I had an RMA going on and the refund still went into my account.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Tracking shows it being delivered by this Friday. (I guess that's the advantage of being one state away).

Swung by my local retro game store and picked up Sonic 2, Virtua Racing, and Aladdin at lunch. M30 controller should be here tomorrow.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Tracking shows it being delivered by this Friday. (I guess that's the advantage of being one state away).

Swung by my local retro game store and picked up Sonic 2, Virtua Racing, and Aladdin at lunch. M30 controller should be here tomorrow.
Mine's tracking for Thursday, and yeah I've been buying games too lol. Aladdin's supposed to show up tomorrow (but the case a manual I bought separately and they're coming later). The only game I already had was Earthworm Jim, which I bought last year in anticipation.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah, Thor does weapon breaking the best I've seen it. To begin with you have the superb fighting engine which obviously has stuff lifted from Ancient's work with streets of rage, with the high point being the cool special moves based off the original weakest but unbreakable dagger, so if you've worked hard at grasping the fighting system you end up doing more damage with the base weapon. Then you have the various breakable weapons that deal easy, large damage for specific situations, then you have unbreakable versions of the best of the different types of weapons. I love it.

I think I'd rather do the cliff jumps or the 100 pit challenge then the ifrit race lol. At least with those I know it's down to mostly skill, I'm convinced that my inputs get eaten every now and then with the double A tap for the ifirit dash.
Oh, yeah, I forgot about Ifrit's single-tap flame attack that takes forever. Haha.

Anyway, the 100-floor dungeon actually wasn't so bad once you figured out that you could summon Dytto from slimes.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, yeah, I forgot about Ifrit's single-tap flame attack that takes forever. Haha.

Anyway, the 100-floor dungeon actually wasn't so bad once you figured out that you could summon Dytto from slimes.

Yeah, I try to do it early to spice things up lol (you can do this dungeon right from the beginning of the game with no spirits).

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yes it's an interesting process watching them treat paying customers with contempt.

Still have not received my day1 preorder.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it's an interesting process watching them treat paying customers with contempt.

Still have not received my day1 preorder.

Well my EU model arrived at their facility yesterday and my prompt responses have turned into crickets. I expected the JPN replacement to ship today overnight based upon their previous e-mails. Nada.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Was gonna come in here to ask why they still haven't switch from preorder to buy now so I can get the Mega SG with a Super NT and hoo boy, what a mess. They surely must've been able to gauge the demand for this with such a long preorder time?

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My 8BitDo controller arrived... now to try and crack open the freaking receiver without paying even more money. Oy...

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Got my JPN Mega SG today, ordered on Tuesday.

Not preordering from these guys in the future.

My 8BitDo controller arrived... now to try and crack open the freaking receiver without paying even more money. Oy...

Get this, 8bitdo includes a screwdriver with their PCBs that convert real retro controllers to wireless. Go figure.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I'm tempted to pull the trigger on one of these but I would be starting from scratch on a physical Genesis cart collection aside from a few hidden away somewhere in my parents' garage. Is the Genesis market similar to the SNES in terms of scarcity and price inflation over the last few years?

doodledude

Oct 29, 2017
My JPN version arrived today, I ordered last Friday. Good service as I had when I got my Super NT last year

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I'm tempted to pull the trigger on one of these but I would be starting from scratch on a physical Genesis cart collection aside from a few hidden away somewhere in my parents' garage. Is the Genesis market similar to the SNES in terms of scarcity and price inflation over the last few years?

Depends on what you want. Sonic games? All pretty much under $10. MUSHA or Alisia Dragoon? Cough up $100.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on what you want. Sonic games? All pretty much under $10. MUSHA or Alisia Dragoon? Cough up $100.
I've got my heart set on Hyperstone Heist and Lightening Force unfortunately, lol.
I don't know if this is helpful, but if you have like... one of those precision screwdriver sets thingies, my 1.4mm flathead fit perfectly, and snugly, into the screw in the bottom both of the receivers I have.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For those that have it, how long did it take for your 8bitdo controllers to ship?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
For those that have it, how long did it take for your 8bitdo controllers to ship?
Well I bought the first two I got on amazon (black 2.4 and black bluetooth) and they arrived like... a day or two after. (just checked, they both showed up the day after I ordered them)

I had an order for a white 2.4 GHz model, but it said "ships in 1 to 2 months" when I ordered it, so when a used one popped up as Prime-eligible I grabbed that and cancelled my order for a new one. It showed up in two days.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017

Not quite that bad but it's getting worse and some games will be completely out of reach soon.

If anyone is tempted by bootlegs (or "repros") as an alternative, don't: they are poorly made and will damage your console.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I've got my heart set on Hyperstone Heist and Lightening Force unfortunately, lol.

I don't know if this is helpful, but if you have like... one of those precision screwdriver sets thingies, my 1.4mm flathead fit perfectly, and snugly, into the screw in the bottom both of the receivers I have.
Thunder force IV isn't really expensive (60-80$ range, cheaper for pal, middle for Japan and more for US versions)

Hyperstone is in the same ballpark

Neither are close to beeing expensive Mega Drive games

RedHotHero

Nov 24, 2017
Not quite that bad but it's getting worse and some games will be completely out of reach soon.

If anyone is tempted by bootlegs (or "repros") as an alternative, don't: they are poorly made and will damage your console.

which ones did you have in mind when you say some are going to be completely out of reach? Definitely interesting watching this whole thing change.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Thunder force IV isn't really expensive (60-80$ range, cheaper for pal, middle for Japan and more for US versions)

Hyperstone is in the same ballpark

Neither are close to beeing expensive Mega Drive games
Yeah I guess they aren't that bad, and not out of reach. Just thought they were a little pricey for old games. I thought Genesis games were generally the cheaper console to buy games for comparing to NES and SNES.

Eliminate Down (non repro) goes for 1500$+

Gleylancer (non repro) for 450$+

Panorama Cotton (non repro) for 500$+

And so on
Yeah, wow. I had no idea about these. I guess I knew Panorama Cotton was an expensive game, I just never cared about it so it just slipped my mind.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
My tip for games that are still kind of affordable but will climb due to demand: Konami games.

Many of them are already out of reach if collecting Japanese versions.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
My tip for games that are still kind of affordable but will climb due to demand: Konami games.

Many of them are already out of reach if collecting Japanese versions.
Japanese versions of Konami games fetch absurd prices

Like 20 years ago Castlevania was already 200$+

They had an incredibly limited run

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone had any issues with their 2.4ghz m30?

Mine occasionally decides to stop accepting some button inputs and this is after updating the firmware on both the receiver and the controller itself.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

In scouring eBay the last week I notice a LOT of Konami Genesis titles fetch crazy prices. Most of the 'popular' and licensed stuff is reasonably priced*, including sports titles. JRPGs can be a bit pricey but not terrible.

*if you don't mind loose carts anyway

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

Oddly enough if anything it'd probably be a lot of the licensed stuff. That's the stuff that A) was completely different from the SNES counterparts of that era that I grew up with (Jurassic Park, Batman, Disney) and B) is tougher to come by in terms of re-releases. Not really interested in the stuff that can be found already on various collections and compilations.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
GameStop is actually having a huge retro (from like PS2/Gamecube era and older) sale right now and you can shave a bit more off with CAG16 promo code from Cheap Ass Gamer.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone had any issues with their 2.4ghz m30?

Mine occasionally decides to stop accepting some button inputs and this is after updating the firmware on both the receiver and the controller itself.
Try turning off anything else nearby that might be transmitting wireless signals. Pull the power cable if you have to (Xbox one for example is difficult to truly power off)

Not suggesting this as a fix, mind, just to help determine if wireless interference is the problem. If it goes away turn things back on one by one until you find the culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.