• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I love Kevtris's passion for the Colecovision. Seems like he backdoors support for it into everything he can.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I love Kevtris's passion for the Colecovision. Seems like he backdoors support for it into everything he can.

Well a ton of us Super NT owners have an NTT Data pad which is perfect for CV. So we wait.

SG-1000 and Colecovision are basically the same thing so that's why it is here in this first jailbreak.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really glad the Colecovision core supports the super game module. That thing is not easy to get, and there are some really cool recent games that require it.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Since there are DB9 controller ports on the Sg, will original Colecovision controllers work with this?

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Can Virtua Racing be played with the jailbreak? Or does it still need the original cart for the SVP?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Can Virtua Racing be played with the jailbreak? Or does it still need the original cart for the SVP?
From what I gathered from the stream chat, you need the cart. Could be remembering that wrong though. It was like an hour ago when they talked about that. I'll scrub through the VoD now since it's over and see if I can find them talking about it again.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Bummer. So how do you start most Coleco games when they require you to hit a number on the keypad to select players and difficulty?

Although the Mega Sg uses 9-pin controller ports, ColecoVision controllers use a slightly different pin-assignment and are not supported. The Passthrough Mode option is removed for this Core as a result. The ColecoVision uses a hand controller consisting of an eight-way joystick, two fire buttons and a 12-key "telephone-style" keypad.

The joystick is mapped to the D-pad of a Genesis controller as follows :
A = Left Side Fire
B = Right Side Fire

In order to support the keypad buttons, directional and button combinations are used with a Six Button Genesis controller. Here are the combinations :

Y + Up = 0
Y + Right = 1
Y + Down = 2
Y + Left = 3
Z + Up = 4
Z + Right = 5
Z + Down = 6
Z + Left = 7
Y + Z + Up = 8
Y + Z + Down = 9
X = #
C = *
Start = 1 (duplicated for starting an easier game in games with a difficulty selection option)
Mode = 3 (duplicated for starting a harder game in games with a difficulty selection option)

The clockwise nature of the button assignments was intended to help people remember the combinations.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
From what I gathered from the stream chat, you need the cart. Could be remembering that wrong though. It was like an hour ago when they talked about that. I'll scrub through the VoD now since it's over and see if I can find them talking about it again.
Don't worry about it, found this in the readme:
The jailbreak will not run Virtua Racing 2 because it uses the Sega Virtual Processor (SVP)
chip, nor will it run 32x ROMs.
Not really stressed because I have PAL (which doesn't work in a real MD for some reason, perhaps broken SVP) and NTSC-J copies of VR anyway, but interesting to know. Goes to show how good the FPGA is that it can interface with the SVP on the cart itself to run.

Sounds like you just leave a VR cart in there, then use the jailbreak for the rest of the titles :)

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Don't worry about it, found this in the readme:

Not really stressed because I have PAL (which doesn't work in a real MD for some reason, perhaps broken SVP) and NTSC-J copies of VR anyway, but interesting to know. Goes to show how good the FPGA is that it can interface with the SVP on the cart itself to run.

Sounds like you just leave a VR cart in there, then use the jailbreak for the rest of the titles :)
Damn, lol. I was just about to report back that I saw that in the "supplemental guide" whatever thingy. Missed it by that much.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No ColecoVision controllers use a slightly different pin assignment and are not supported by the core

It's easy to implement though so here's hoping. FPGA consoles can reconfigure how ports are accessed. There's also adapters like the "2600 D9 dapter" that auto detect and there's no reason an FPGA console can't do the same. The D9 ports on the upcoming LL Cool Joy for MiSTer are going to access almost any D9 controller imaginable in time.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realise that Smokemonster was so closely tied with the Mega Sg as well as the MISTer. Wonder if we'll see him do a comparison sometime in the future?

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's easy to implement though so here's hoping. FPGA consoles can reconfigure how ports are accessed. There's also adapters like the "2600 D9 dapter" that auto detect and there's no reason an FPGA console can't do the same. The D9 ports on the upcoming LL Cool Joy for MiSTer are going to access almost any D9 controller imaginable in time.

That's cool, hopefully they fix it in a future update

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I didn't realise that Smokemonster was so closely tied with the Mega Sg as well as the MISTer. Wonder if we'll see him do a comparison sometime in the future?

MiSTer is not as mature as any Analogue cores but there are way more cores and always more on the way and more features. MiSTer has better scanline options but low latency HDMI is experimental and doesn't always work with every core and display device. MiSTer is far from plus and play. It's pretty straightforward, they are pretty different. I'm sure we'll get some videos sometime. John Linneman should have one before too long, heh.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Why does this firmware talk about loading Sega CD bios? Is it possible to use a model 1 bios with a model 2 Sega CD hooked up?

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Cool. Means I might not need to bother with an Everdrive when I get one of these.

Aside from VR, would any other roms not work?

With these do you also have to keep waiting on more JB firmware for the future too?

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
You know come to think of it MiSTER is similar to Kevtris fabled Zimba 3000. An all in one box that runs multiple system cores. I wonder if Kevtris is ever going to complete that project or if it's just not happening

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Cool. Means I might not need to bother with an Everdrive when I get one of these.

Aside from VR, would any other roms not work?

With these do you also have to keep waiting on more JB firmware for the future too?
Virtua Racing is the only genesis game that uses a special chip on cart. And yes, any new official firmware releases will make the jailbreak firmwsre technically out of date. I would imagine the jailbreak firmware being released simultaneously however since kevtris does them.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Why does this firmware talk about loading Sega CD bios? Is it possible to use a model 1 bios with a model 2 Sega CD hooked up?
Sega CD BIOS are region locked. There are hacked ones out there that are region free. Loading one of those will let you boot games from any region. Alternately, you can just load a BIOS for the region of the game you want to play.

Damian

Dec 15, 2017
So save states dont work with the JB (yet), however is there still a way to 'save' progress if a game supports some form of save?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So save states dont work with the JB (yet), however is there still a way to 'save' progress if a game supports some form of save?
From the new OT for the Mega Sg:

Glad to see the jailbreak drop. It is that time again that I do my regular PSA.

MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU UNDERSTAND HOW SAVE GAMES WORK. (assuming it is the same here as previous systems haven't tried it yet)

Take it from a guy who lost several hours of progress. It has gotten slightly better over time but it is very easy to bone it up and forget to exit to the menu and lose an entire session of progress.

The basic procedure is
1. Save however you do in the game such as a save spot in an RPG
2. Pull up the SG menu and it will prompt asking something along the lines if you want to back up your save.
3. Hit yes!
4. If you fail to do this when you turn off the system your save will be lost exactly like if you ripped the battery out of a cartridge.

I recommend doing a few dry runs to get a feel for it before trusting progress in a lengthier game. It isn't all that complicated once you get it, but it really sucks to forget/not understand and lose progress.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I buckled and bought and 8Bit Do controller rather than waiting for the wired repro ones to come into stock after two delays. I can't be doing with that. Hopefully I can crack it open and update the firmware without having to buy additional screwdrivers.

Good to see the jailbreak is live, though. Might hold on a while before installing, though.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
I buckled and bought and 8Bit Do controller rather than waiting for the wired repro ones to come into stock after two delays. I can't be doing with that. Hopefully I can crack it open and update the firmware without having to buy additional screwdrivers.

Good to see the jailbreak is live, though. Might hold on a while before installing, though.
I had to order a screwdriver off Amazon! The actual update process was easy and the controller is a joy to use. The update fixed the many connection issues I was having so be sure to update before you do anything. I've ordered the 6 button Retro-Bit ones off Amazon but they have been heavily delayed until the end of May which has annoyed me!

I think I'll wait a while before I do the JB also!

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had to order a screwdriver off Amazon! The actual update process was easy and the controller is a joy to use. The update fixed the many connection issues I was having so be sure to update before you do anything. I've ordered the 6 button Retro-Bit ones off Amazon but they have been heavily delayed until the end of May which has annoyed me!

I think I'll wait a while before I do the JB also!

Yeah the delay fucking slayed me so I just thought screw it!

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Very happy with my joyzz pad.

Currently trying to get first place on the ifrit race in Story of Thor to get one of the unlimited bows, which is as frustrating as always lol

Status
Not open for further replies.