• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think it was MLIG or MVG review that said about the high pitched noise, it's to do with the cart audio function I think.

I was just saying that MCD caps and fuse really need doing, if you want to make it last a long time, even if they look ok, they are probably rotting the pads they are on.
Yeah, I hear ya. I opened mine up when I bought it a few months ago and inspected it but I'll likely have do a full cap replacement in the coming months. I can do that myself as I have some soldering experience but am far from an expert.:) I've seen cap kits for sale at a few sites so it's likely a good time to order them up and have them on the ready.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I hear ya. I opened mine up when I bought it a few months ago and inspected it but I'll likely have do a full cap replacement in the coming months. I can do that myself as I have some soldering experience but am far from an expert.:) I've seen cap kits for sale at a few sites so it's likely a good time to order them up and have them on the ready.

I was gonna give it a go myself, but thought better of it, done plenty of soldering, but no caps, worry being if you fuck the pad, it's either big money to repad, or some wire bodge to overcome it, for £25 it didn't seem worth it.

Credo

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question: Is the M30 bluetooth gamepad compatible with the Mega SG or is it only the 2.4 GHz gamepad that is?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I know several people here got the wrong model of Mega Sg which sucks. Hopefully people are willing to cut Analogue some slack. It seems as if the product itself isn't defective and whatever happened is a logistics issue, not quality control. I don't know how many of these get sold but I'm sure it's fewer than even Retron's shitty emulation machines, which at least have a retail presence and sell for much cheaper.

What I'm trying to say is it's tough for a small company like Analogue to manage logistics and I suspect the Mega Sg's popularity may have caught them off guard compared to previous consoles. Also keep in mind that the customer service person you're working with on a replacement might be outsourced (which can stink but employing full time CS would significantly raise the cost of the product), and their goal is to find an agreeable resolution - so I'm not surprised they're trying to get you to settle for the console you received.

To be fair I wouldn't settle for it either and we don't "owe" Analogue, or any for profit company, anything.

Everything adds up. It's the shipping fees, the holding money for 5+ months, the logistics issues, then after the the EU one is rare, the proper model is sold out (but not really), the slow-ass return shipping, and the lack of cross ship is a little cherry on top.

I love their products and if I thought they provided a best effort on the customer service front I probably would have simply ordered a second one when I got the wrong model.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question: Is the M30 bluetooth gamepad compatible with the Mega SG or is it only the 2.4 GHz gamepad that is?
I have both versions ordered but haven't received them yet, but it looks like the main difference is that the 2.4 GHz model comes with a receiver and for the bluetooth model you have to purchase it separately. It looks like either model will work with the Mega SG as long as you have its corresponding receiver.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno

The Bluetooth model is, but you'll need to buy a separate adapter.

The 2.4 ghz model has it's receiver included with the controller.

They basically break down like this.

If you only want to use the controller with actual SEGA hardware/Mega SG/Clone systems only, go for the 2.4ghz model.

If you want to use the controller with other devices (Switch, PC, Mobile,) as well as have the ability to use it with actual SEGA hardware/Mega SG/clone systems, go with the Bluetooth model.

Last edited:

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I've been trying to mess with FM audio on the X7 and I'm not entirely clear how to set it up.

https://www.retrorgb.com/fmaudio.html

I've turned on cartridge audio and enabled YM2413 in the everdrive settings but do not notice any difference in any games. And going back in the sg menu turning cartridge audio volume up and down has no effect.

There is even an SMS FM audio tool rom that detects if FM is available and it says yes no matter what settings I use so thoroughly confused at the moment.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I just updated my 8bitdo M3 2.4ghz. It was pretty easy other than the fact that I had to order a $10 screwdriver set, wait 2 days for it to arrive open up the receiver because they couldn't expose the usb port for who knows what reason, drag a file to it and then not know if it even updated or not. But it was "easy".

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone finding the system auto detecting the wrong system region for games?

Playing a PAL version of Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP 2 and the system detects it as the Japanese version.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I just updated my 8bitdo M3 2.4ghz. It was pretty easy other than the fact that I had to order a $10 screwdriver set, wait 2 days for it to arrive open up the receiver because they couldn't expose the usb port for who knows what reason, drag a file to it and then not know if it even updated or not. But it was "easy".
If you plug the receiver/pad back in to your pc the FW installed is shown as the name of the drive.

Honestly think I prefer it to the other update method. Silly security screws aside.

I haven't had any technical problems with my 2.4g which is nice, but the dpad does make some disconcerting noises and I'm not even pressing to hard on it really.

Mar 27, 2019
I've noticed that scrolling looks a bit juddery on my 4K tv when I output the mega sg to 720p. 1080p seems fine though. I user integer scaling in both resolutions and interpolation off. Would the 720p behave any differently than 1080? I thought 720 was also an integer scale up to 4K? The tv is a tcl which I thought produced 1080 and 720 well but I could be wrong.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
It could be that there is no difference. The region lock was originally just the shape of the cart slot.

In this case it causes the cartridge to display Japanese text in-game so I guess it's one of the games which has all versions built in, and just display the correct language based on what region system you're using.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
I've noticed that scrolling looks a bit juddery on my 4K tv when I output the mega sg to 720p. 1080p seems fine though. I user integer scaling in both resolutions and interpolation off. Would the 720p behave any differently than 1080? I thought 720 was also an integer scale up to 4K? The tv is a tcl which I thought produced 1080 and 720 well but I could be wrong.

Not sure why 720p would be more juddery than 1080p? The integer scale is the 240p X3, which is 720p, your TV will take that and upscale to 4K, so perhaps your TV's scaling with 720p introduces mild judder? Sounds odd though.

Make sure 720p 60hz is ticked, not 50hz.

Mar 27, 2019
Not sure why 720p would be more juddery than 1080p? The integer scale is the 240p X3, which is 720p, your TV will take that and upscale to 4K, so perhaps your TV's scaling with 720p introduces mild judder? Sounds odd though.

Make sure 720p 60hz is ticked, not 50hz.

It definitely wasn't on 50hz. I'm wondering if the sg is using 256p or 320p to scale to 720 which might not be a perfect integer?

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
I'm assuming that auto region detect starts with whatever you have ticked and then goes through USA, Japan and PAL in that order if it can't figure it out. The order of the menu list would suggest it prioritises NTSC over anything else.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
If you plug in the controller following the instructions, the folder name will show what the current firmware version is. I imagine it's unlikely to be the updated firmware at this point.
I was assuming he didn't have the right tool to take it apart, lol.

Seems kind of dumb to me that you'd need to take it apart to get to the usb port. I don't get it.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I was assuming he didn't have the right tool to take it apart, lol.

Seems kind of dumb to me that you'd need to take it apart to get to the usb port. I don't get it.
All there other receivers expose the USB. No idea why it was changed here. Only guess I have is this is probably the smallest one they've done so maybe something with the mold made it too difficult.

The Bluetooth mega drive receiver is bigger and has it exposed as well.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
All there other receivers expose the USB. No idea why it was changed here. Only guess I have is this is probably the smallest one they've done so maybe something with the mold made it too difficult.

The Bluetooth mega drive receiver is bigger and has it exposed as well.
Yeah, I just know that the older NES bluetooth adapter and I think the SNES bluetooth adapter I have both have the usb ports exposed. Just seems weird that it would be almost hidden like that (I say "almost hidden" because it's not like they're hiding it if you need to find it to upgrade the firmware).
Yeah, I don't have the right tool. I will check the controller itself though. Shouldn't they be the same firmware number anyway?
I honestly don't know. I guess since the updated firmware is supposed to fix latency and connection issues, if you play with it and you get latency and connection issues, you'd know it has the old firmware? lol...

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
The controller and receiver have to be the same version number or they won't work (or at least the version in the box and latest version refuse to cooperate). That's why I suggested checking the controller as the receiver will be on the same version number.

Mar 27, 2019
256 and 320 are horizontal resolutions, 720 is 3x of 240 on the vertical. you want interpolation off on the vertical and on for the horizontal, unless you are using square pixel settings.

Yeah I think I had my settings off, now I'm using 720p, 3x vertical and horizontal, interpolations off and the scrolling seems to be smooth. Picture looks a bit thin but setting 4x wide makes it look way too wide.

Deleted member 5956

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think I had my settings off, now I'm using 720p, 3x vertical and horizontal, interpolations off and the scrolling seems to be smooth. Picture looks a bit thin but setting 4x wide makes it look way too wide.

why not use the labeled 4:3 for 16:9 setting on the horizontal with interpolation on? keep 3x integer on the vertical with interpolation disabled. then you get the correct aspect ratio without shimmering from non uniform pixel sizes.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Important note from kevtris on the discord this morning:

kevtris said:
if you do not have the CD unit powered, the msg will be powering it through the protection diodes on the chips in the sega CD, which isn't good for the sega CD or the msg

Do not run your Mega SG attached to your Sega CD if the Sega CD doesn't have power from it's adapter. MLiG suggested that as an option their video and it's a bad idea for the long term health of both your Mega SG and your Sega CD.

Also for those having issues with SMS games:

kevtris said:
you have to unplug the CD system to play sms games, if it isn't running and you have the CD system plugged in, unplug it

He's corrected this which will be in the next firmware, but at present you have to disconnect the Mega SG from the Sega CD to play Master System games.

Also:

kevtris said:
if you wish to use the automatic region detection on the MSG and you're using an X7 everdrive, you must set the ED region to world, and turn off megakey

Last edited:

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
Was interested in Batman and Robin after seeing the technical stuff in the Digital Foundry video. Looked at the eBay sold listing and promptly closed the tab.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
I had that game as a kid, probably solid it for around £5 :( Still working on getting it back at some point.

I've got a few jems in my collection like Shining Force II and Knuckles Chaotix (and Fred Couples 36 Great Holes!!!) but it's frustrating to think about how many now-inaccessible carts I could have picked up at the time had I known or just made different purchase decisions.

Oct 27, 2017
Can I ask why everyone is updating firmware on the 8bitdo M30 2.4ghz and its receiver? Is there a latency issue with the firmware it shipped on?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Can I ask why everyone is updating firmware on the 8bitdo M30 2.4ghz and its receiver? Is there a latency issue with the firmware it shipped on?
I've only used mine in wired-usb mode on my PC until my SG arrives, but the english readme in the zip that you download to get the firmware update says...

-----------------
Note: please make sure to update the controller firmware when updating the receiver firmware
2019-03-20 8BitDo M30 2.4G V2.00
1.Fixed the connectivity issue
2.Fixed the latency problem

edit:
Yeah, I don't have the right tool. I will check the controller itself though. Shouldn't they be the same firmware number anyway?
Also, my receiver/ controller combo were the same firmware number. Can't speak for everyone though...

wih2mxL.jpg
this was the receiver
HRf7V5B.jpg
this was the controller

turns out my smallest T-screwdriver was just too big, but a 1.4mm flathead screwdriver worked fine.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I heard that the bluetooth version gives better feedback now when using the hidden button combinations to change modes (swap analog - dpad mode, swap AB/XY buttons, etc). On the original firmware, there were no LED indicators whatsoever when doing these combinations. Not sure if it's the same with the 2.4ghz controller.

Oct 27, 2017
Can I ask how people have set their low pass filter & related audio settings? I went with John from DF's 3600 cutoff and 6 roll off but I'm interested if people have other settings & why they prefer those.

I'm also interested to know if someone has a list or resource of Genesis hidden gems or Japan-only releases that are worth playing today. Having the ability to play Genesis games from any region has me curious!

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Can I ask how people have set their low pass filter & related audio settings? I went with John from DF's 3600 cutoff and 6 roll off but I'm interested if people have other settings & why they prefer those.

I'm also interested to know if someone has a list or resource of Genesis hidden gems or Japan-only releases that are worth playing today. Having the ability to play Genesis games from any region has me curious!

I put this together over the past few months, as I've been collecting MD games, and made a list of decent games I've been looking to buy or play on my X7, might help you a bit.

Alisia Dragoon
Light Crusader
Battletech
Skeleton Crew
Technoclash
Steel Empire
Red Zone
Subturania
Doom Troopers
The Ooze
Thunder Fox
Gargoyles
Crack Down
Target Earth
Caliber 50
Ranger X
Fantasy Zone
Trouble Shooter
Battlemania 1&2
Fire Shark
Eliminate Down
Elemental Master
Darwin 4081
Musha
Gleylancer
Grindstormer
Undeadline
Verytex
Dangerous Seed
XDR
Task Force Harrier
Whiprush
Burning Force
Panorama Cotton
Dynamite Heady
Toy Story
Gauntlet 4
The Story of Thor
Mega Turrican
Comix Zone
Shadowrun
Chiki Chiki Boys
Ristar
Mcdonaldland
Alien Soldier
Curse
Monster World 3 4 5
Rent A Hero
Pulseman
Dangerous Seed
Magical Taruuuto Kun
Mamoto hunter yoko
Battle Mania
Adventures of Batman and Robin
Chelnov
Socket
Grind stormer
Minnies magical adventure
El Viento
Rolling Thunder 2&3
Juju

SoH

Oct 25, 2017

Sounds like the next firmware is going to be pretty big, likely with audio changes, so I'm not bothering to dial things in all that much yet. Hopefully drops soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.