• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I've had a few connection issues on my Mega SG, I have the 2.4 version and not Bluetooth. I've downloaded the firmware and when I open the controller folder via my work laptop it's showing empty? I've dragged the update file in anyways but not sure it's even sent or done anything. How do I check that it's been updated and what version I'm on?

Do I really need to update the receiver? I don't have a screwdriver but with the connection problems I've had pairing and losing connection then I guess I may try update that too.

You need to update the receiver too. You need a Torx T5 screwdriver for it.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
The instructions are very unclear but you can drop the firmware file in the empty folder and disconnect and it will then update. The folder name will have changed to the name of the firmware version when you next plug it in.

The controller and receiver have to be on the same version or they won't work, so you do need to update the receiver.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Actually the same thing I'll be doing. I'm heading tomorrow to DKoldies.

Anybody have recommendations besides the normal ones? I usually like some odd gems.

Powerball is an underrated multiplayer gem. Combines football, soccer, martial arts and wrestling. No better feeling than leveling an opposing player and watching him lay out cold on the field while you run over him.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I recall it being mentioned at some point that you can access the Mega Sg menu by pressing the Home button on the M30. Assuming this is true, can anyone here tell me how to go about setting that up?

Oh, never mind. It seems to just be bound that way by default. It didn't seem to be working before, but it's fine now.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I recall it being mentioned at some point that you can access the Mega Sg menu by pressing the Home button on the M30. Assuming this is true, can anyone here tell me how to go about setting that up?

Oh, never mind. It seems to just be bound that way by default. It didn't seem to be working before, but it's fine now.
Rarely the hotkey interrupts will just not work, it is strange. Technically the inputs are being monitored at the same time the game is doing it and under certain scenarios the game will just swallow the inputs or something. I read a much more technical explanation than that years ago but that is what I retained.

If you fart around in the game a bit, ideally changing screens like a pause menu or something, that generally clears it up.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a few days ago a video of some rom hack with Kirby on either Sonic 2 or 3. It was super amusing. Sadly I didn't keep the name and can't find the video (it was on some retro group's post on Facebook).
Found this, look right?

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1667/

1667titlescreen.png
1667screenshot1.png

And a sequel..
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2683/

2683titlescreen.png
2683screenshot3.png

Oct 26, 2017
Actually the same thing I'll be doing. I'm heading tomorrow to DKoldies.

Anybody have recommendations besides the normal ones? I usually like some odd gems.
Try Gynoug. It's a solid shooter that stands out due to it's funky art style. The enemies are creepy Giger-esque biomechanical monstrosities and I think it made good use of the Mega Drive's colour palette.

Gynoug-Europe-180408-161944.png

db5e630d1e4a9edb0a8048dc09d48d32.png

Yeah, that's a penis.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Oh, so there is a 60hz mode on the PAL games already? I wasn't sure if it was something that was placed on the cartridges to start with or not back in the day. That is good to know then.

The short answer is it depends.

Especially for the first several years of the console's life, a lot of games released in PAL regions were not optimized, and run in PAL regions at about 5/6 of the speed they do in other regions. Sonic 1 is a notable example. At the same time, many of these games did not engage any form of region lockout (which is done in game software, not a hardware feature). The basic takeaway is that these games were the same ROMs in different regions. Something like Super Fantasy Zone is a game that has Japanese text on a Japanese machine and the same cartridge will have English text on an outside-of-Japan machine. It will run in (IIRC unoptimized, slower) 50 Hz mode in Europe, and 60 Hz in America despite not being released there. Japanese cartridges had different case shapes but the actual PCB underneath it will be the same for most games up until, like, partway into 1992.

Streets of Rage 2 is the first Sega-published game I know of with region lockout, and it's also I believe well-optimized for 50 Hz (i.e., not obviously slower). There are ways to use things like Game Genie codes to unlock them for other regions (because, again, all region lockout is part of the game code, not a hardware feature). Sonic 3 was the only Sonic game to have region lockout. Some games in this era had the lockout specifically because they were big enough now that they couldn't fit both the PAL code and the 60Hz code in the same ROMs any more. It would drive up costs for limited benefit. This is, however, not always true. Sometimes the games only had two modes, one for Japan and one for outside it, with the main difference for the split being not enough space for the localized text and Japanese original text.

Very late into the systems life, PAL games took advantage of the slower refresh rate to expand the vertical display of some games. Ristar in particular comes to mind as a game where this occurs. It's a subtle effect though and for me doesn't make up for the slower refresh rate (though, again, Ristar is optimized enough that it's not obviously slower for PAL players), though it would be nice if there were ways to use the recreated hardware to play the game at 60 Hz with the increased vertical resolution.

(I will not stick my neck out and say that this higher-res mode is the one that the Overdrive II demo uses to draw into what would otherwise be the overscan area, as I haven't worked with the technical documents enough to say for certain. I would assume so. It is technically available on NTSC units as well but requires more considered use of CPU cycles when actually doing anything with the system since the time between frames is shorter, which is why it was never used in any commercial game I'm aware of.)

Last edited:

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
I've set my SG to auto detect regions and plugged in my PAL Streets of Rage 2 and the title screen said Bare Knuckle 2... I'm really confused how this thing handles PAL games and what's the best option to choose here.

Deleted member 1627

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've set my SG to auto detect regions and plugged in my PAL Streets of Rage 2 and the title screen said Bare Knuckle 2... I'm really confused how this thing handles PAL games and what's the best option to choose here.
You've got something set to JP somewhere. This is what happens when I flick the region switch on my OG hardware.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
You've got something set to JP somewhere. This is what happens when I flick the region switch on my OG hardware.
Cheers will look again later when home. If all my games are PAL am I best to set the region to PAL or auto? I want all my games to run as fast and smooth as possible.

I did notice some slowdown in Sonic 3 and Aladdin, but maybe that has always existed regardless of region.

Deleted member 1627

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cheers will look again later when home. If all my games are PAL am I best to set the region to PAL or auto? I want all my games to run as fast and smooth as possible.

I did notice some slowdown in Sonic 3 and Aladdin, but maybe that has always existed regardless of region.
I think the auto region detect might just be there to brute force carts into working. My assumption is that if you set the resolution to XXXXp 60 then that sets how the games run. I don't really know how to test this - 90% of my carts are PAL and the four I have out of storage are all PAL too. I've definitely triggered the SOR2 region lock by changing regions while it's been running so something there is working at least.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
I think the auto region detect might just be there to brute force carts into working. My assumption is that if you set the resolution to XXXXp 60 then that sets how the games run. I don't really know how to test this - 90% of my carts are PAL and the four I have out of storage are all PAL too. I've definitely triggered the SOR2 region lock by changing regions while it's been running so something there is working at least.
Thanks again! Hopefully Dark1x goes into this during the DF Retro and some recommendations for settings on a 4K screen.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I've just been looking on Youtube for the video, where is it Dark1x, we need you to light our darkest hour.
Are you subscribed and did you click the bell? You'll get an email as soon as it goes up. Want to make sure you see the email as soon as you get it? Create a filter and forward the email to your phone's SMS email address (it depends on your carrier so look it up) and you'll get a text message.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone recommend a UK retailer for a Mega Everdrive X5? Retro Towers OOS. Mate got a unit and I wanna give him one as a gift when I see him in a week or two.

Has Bean

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Played mine for a bit last night. Overall I am really, really happy with it. First game I played was Cool Spot lol, worked perfectly.

Cleaned and tested a bunch of games and the only ones I couldn't get to work were Sonic 3 & Knuckles (both cartridges worked separately, but not when locked-on) and Paper Boy, which is kind of a bummer as I was looking forward to playing both again. Could be an issue with the cartridge, but I have not updated the firmware yet - hopefully that will do the trick. Anyone have any luck getting either of these to work?

One thing I was really impressed with was playing Streets of Rage 2 from the cart again. I own pretty much every Genesis collection with SoR2 and playing it on the Mega Sg just felt and sounded so much better (default settings).

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Still owed money for return shipping on my mega sg and have not received a replacement yet(nor has it shipped).

I ordered it on day one in October of last year and paid in full.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Zombies Ate My Neighbors has some graphical glitches. I notified Analogue through the support page. Some items and NPCs look really glitchy in general, and the player characters and NPCs look really glitchy when standing in water. Also, the pause screen text looks really glitchy, and the indicators on the mini-map are really glitchy.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I was looking at the FAQ last night looking for the latest FW and saw this bit and had a laugh:

What happens when I pre-order a Mega Sg?

Pre-ordering a Mega Sg will reserve your place in line for when shipping begins. The full amount of your order total will be processed and charged when you place your pre-order. We accept pre-order cancellations at any time.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone using an Everdrive and finding it weird to run Master System games off of it? It seems to require an extra restart that an actual Genesis does not.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone using an Everdrive and finding it weird to run Master System games off of it? It seems to require an extra restart that an actual Genesis does not.
Unrelated but I've never been able to run SMS games off my everdrive on my JVC X'Eye, anyone has had the issue? It's the US version of the Wondermega 2

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't tried SMS yet on the X7. Will give a whirl. Speaking of is there any way to tell what firmware it is on? I should probably just drop the latest just to be sure.

C opens the menu. Got it.

Last edited:

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Still owed money for return shipping on my mega sg and have not received a replacement yet(nor has it shipped).

I ordered it on day one in October of last year and paid in full.

And it's nearly two days since I asked for a response from Analogue regarding next steps, no reply.

Sapiens I know you sent me the address, but the way things are going I'll be damned if I send something back without a confirmation email from them or RMA # to include. Things are far too disorganized as it is, I have little faith they would be able to track down my return without it.

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And it's nearly two days since I asked for a response from Analogue regarding next steps, no reply.

Sapiens I know you sent me the address, but the way things are going I'll be damned if I send something back without a confirmation email from them or RMA # to include. Things are far too disorganized as it is, I have little faith they would be able to track down my return without it.
Wait for them to give you the go ahead and play by their rules.

I would also consider using whatever means you have access to which would include calling your credit card company and placing a complaint. They have your money but they did not sell you what they promised.

I'm sure they will make good, but the cynic in me believes that they're hoping we settle for the device we received. If you keep pressing, you'll get what you paid for.

They want to be in Forbes. They want to trend on YouTube. They want to spend a lot of money to have a professional appearance. I'm confident they will eventually live up to it and stop wasting time antagonizing competitors and ignoring customers.

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017

It seems like the Mega SG actually loads a different core when booting up a SMS game. Which has its own set of options and scaling choices. My guess is when you boot the Mega Everdrive it thinks you're loading a Genesis game, and then when you go to load a SMS game off that it realizes it and now has to boot the SMS core. Where as if you use the adapter and a Master Everdrive it just boots right into that SMS core.

Least that's my total guess. Based on the behavior and that you have different options that also need to be saved when in SMS mode.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
8-bit Sonic, Fantasy Zone, and Phantasy Star all pulled up first try without any settings changes. I did notice there is an SMS BIOS toggle in the rom settings that let's you flip between regions which I believe defaulted to OFF. Not sure if it tries to do some auto-detect business but I'd probably start there.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Now Analogue is telling me both that my order will ship today but also it will not ship for 2-3 weeks. This is after they already told me that the order would be overnighted two days ago.

Maybe they should not have bragged about shipping orders early when they didn't have the stock to cover it.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
I feel sorry for those that are having issues, not nice. The company should come out with a tweet or statement to apologise about this!

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like the Mega SG actually loads a different core when booting up a SMS game. Which has its own set of options and scaling choices. My guess is when you boot the Mega Everdrive it thinks you're loading a Genesis game, and then when you go to load a SMS game off that it realizes it and now has to boot the SMS core. Where as if you use the adapter and a Master Everdrive it just boots right into that SMS core.

Least that's my total guess. Based on the behavior and that you have different options that also need to be saved when in SMS mode.

Yeah, I'm sure it has something to do with that. I noticed the different options in the system menu and everything.

8-bit Sonic, Fantasy Zone, and Phantasy Star all pulled up first try without any settings changes. I did notice there is an SMS BIOS toggle in the rom settings that let's you flip between regions which I believe defaulted to OFF. Not sure if it tries to do some auto-detect business but I'd probably start there.

Might be worth checking out, thanks.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
This is my first Analogue purchase and based on my experience and how I've been treated (basically, they got my money already), it's likely going to be my last.
Yeah I wouldn't blame you. I think the only launches that went semi-smoothly were the NT mini and the Super NT. Even then shipping prices were unreasonably high and communication was poor.

As far as I'm aware their MVS had major quality issues with the wooden enclosure. The first run NT was delayed so many times and communication about those delays so lacking (and that required $579 upfront for the HDMI version by the way) that many were convinced it was a scam (second run NT which I got went much more smoothly in comparison). And now the SG is marred by what I'm currently assuming is a bad shipping partner and not enough employees at Analogue to put out the fire that was made, but who at this point could really say. Somehow their products punch so far above the weight of the company that I keep coming back, but it's absolutely understandable why others don't.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah I ended up signing up for a preorder for the next run. Hopefully things get sorted out by then. I saw my friends SG today and can admit it's just as nice a unit as the NT before it. Will again reiterate my earlier comments - hopefully these shipping woes and delivery/order errors are corrected going forward. All I can do is imagine the frustration the lot of you are having right now ... this thread seems to say half the people who got a unit , got the wrong one. Were the boxes from the production plant mislabeled ? Did the distribution folks mess up ? Either way it sounds like Analogue needs to have a plan to fix this for everyone.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Now Analogue is telling me both that my order will ship today but also it will not ship for 2-3 weeks. This is after they already told me that the order would be overnighted two days ago.

Maybe they should not have bragged about shipping orders early when they didn't have the stock to cover it.
I ordered a Mega SG yesterday and I already have a tracking number today. Ignore the 2-3 weeks they have on their site. They seem to have stock.

It's shipping before my Super NT that I ordered at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.