• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Scanlines are wonky at 4.5X on 1080p. They look fine at 4X and 5X but 4X is a l'il small and 5X is too much overscan for games where the HUD graphics etc go right to the top and bottom like Ultracore.

I find it bizarre that no 1600x1200 option exists, the power is there, and makes total sense for 4KTV owners.

Ruprit

Oct 25, 2017
MA
Mine arrived. Got the model I ordered (USA). I think it looks much better in person.

A quick play test has left me feeling very positive. It's awesome to finally play Genesis games without the usual video noise that the OSSC tends to amplify with original hardware. Audio is a bit different though, not bad or worse, just a bit different. That said, the audio could be because I have been using a FBX M1 Mini Mega modded console as my main for a while now.

Excuse the crummy photo.

shinobi_iiicvkd6.png

Oct 27, 2017
Got mine yesterday. Love the look and feel. The games I tried all seemed to play great (Hyperstone Heist, Virtua Racing, Gunstar Heroes) but I never heard the console start up sound when the SG turned on. I imagine I'm doing something weird or something, but idk

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Mine arrived. Got the model I ordered (USA). I think it looks much better in person.

A quick play test has left me feeling very positive. It's awesome to finally play Genesis games without the usual video noise that the OSSC tends to amplify with original hardware. Audio is a bit different though, not bad or worse, just a bit different. That said, the audio could be because I have been using a FBX M1 Mini Mega modded console as my main for a while now.

Excuse the crummy photo.

shinobi_iiicvkd6.png

I find using scanlines with an MD1 and OSSC, all video noise isn't noticeable anyway, but without them, the noise really shows up! The audio of FBX's M1 is sublime however, and from what I've heard, the SG doesn't match it.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Got mine yesterday. Love the look and feel. The games I tried all seemed to play great (Hyperstone Heist, Virtua Racing, Gunstar Heroes) but I never heard the console start up sound when the SG turned on. I imagine I'm doing something weird or something, but idk
Update the firmware. You won't have ultracore as a menu option either until you update it.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Counting my blessings: placed an order Saturday and got here just now and it's the USA one just like I ordered. It'll be a few days before the game lot I bought on eBay shows up though.

Though definitely gonna try some SMS games soon!

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
Do the different models have any differences beyond color schemes? I ordered the USA one but when I pick it up if it is the EUR one or JPN, will it work just the same as the USA one? Seems like many folks getting the wrong item sent to them.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Do the different models have any differences beyond color schemes? I ordered the USA one but when I pick it up if it is the EUR one or JPN, will it work just the same as the USA one? Seems like many folks getting the wrong item sent to them.
Cosmetic only. The super nt released a ghostly edition that had a unique boot, but nothing like that for the SG so far.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
Ok so as a total fanboy of Genesis audio, the ability to change the waveform of the YM2612 on the fly in the audio settings is SO MUCH FUN! It's so COOL to change the synthesis on the fly and hear classic chiptunes in all-new ways. I could spend hours doing this.

Smaug18

Dec 15, 2017
I was fiddling with the settings last night - I have it set to 720p 60 and the games auto-region detect so there's no issue running region-locked games, however I honestly couldn't tell what was going on with framerate. On my OG hardware I can switch between the regions and speeds with no issues and it all just works lovely, but on that hardware I can tell because borders vanish and the title screens change. We need some science up in here.

I am also very interested in this but I don't have a PAL Game here at the moment to test this.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
I think if the console is set to 60Hz and the game wants to run at 50Hz, it blugeons the 50Hz frame rate of the game into the 60Hz output somehow. And ditto if you set the output at 50Hz but play a game at 60Hz. I've experienced a screen tear effect that seems to be caused by this.

Sebion

Oct 29, 2017
Regarding PAL games, here is my experience so far: I have set my unit to US NTSC and turned off auto detection. Almost all PAL games boot up fine in 60hz and I haven't experienced any issues so far. Exceptions are all Konami games I tried, which refused to boot in NTSC. Even trying to switch regions while playing wouldn't work. The games would simply freeze in this case.

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
I got lucky and got the JPN model I ordered. Sorry to hear about all the issues everyone is having.

Been messing with the settings and Hardcore since all of my old Sega stuff is in storage back East. Nothing crazy, but I've got a Sega CD and a handful of games waiting for me whenever I can make the trip.

Since that might be a few months, I just spent around 50 bucks at the Gamestop online retro section to pick up Sonic the Hedgehog 2 , Golden Axe II, NBA Jam, Streets of Rage II, QuackShot Starring Donald Duck, World of Illusion, and an OG Sega Genesis Controller to go with my M30. Out of all of those, Sonic 2 was the only one I owned as a kid, but I have found memories of playing the rest at friends. Can't wait for them to arrive!

Smaug18

Dec 15, 2017
Regarding PAL games, here is my experience so far: I have set my unit to US NTSC and turned off auto detection. Almost all PAL games boot up fine in 60hz and I haven't experienced any issues so far. Exceptions are all Konami games I tried, which refused to boot in NTSC. Even trying to switch regions while playing wouldn't work. The games would simply freeze in this case.

But do these Konami games run at 60 HZ if your display mode is set to 1080p60?

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017

Later MD games had region protection, like Sunset Riders for example, even using region switching on real hardware can still not get over it.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was a way to extract Ultracore

I want to play it on real hardware and on my Nomad (just because)

Super Turrican DC still has to be extracted one year later

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why they don't just manufacture a whole bunch of JPN case top halves and offer to send those out to people. That would have to be close to being cheaper than giving people $25 refund.

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why they don't just manufacture a whole bunch of JPN case top halves and offer to send those out to people. That would have to be close to being cheaper than giving people $25 refund.
Or the alternative of having to pay for my shipping back and then shipping me the replacement.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Or the alternative of having to pay for my shipping back and then shipping me the replacement.
They probably don't want a bunch of people taking their units apart. I was surprised when they offered to send just the board to Super Nt buyers when they had a problem.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
They probably don't want a bunch of people taking their units apart. I was surprised when they offered to send just the board to Super Nt buyers when they had a problem.
They told me when I asked if this was an option in my support query that they don't have individual parts to mail out right now.

Ruprit

Oct 25, 2017
MA
I find using scanlines with an MD1 and OSSC, all video noise isn't noticeable anyway, but without them, the noise really shows up! The audio of FBX's M1 is sublime however, and from what I've heard, the SG doesn't match it.

You're right. I got myself into an obsessive rabbit hole over Genesis visuals that resulted in owning about a dozen Genesis revisions with various RGB bypass mods, lifted pins, cut traces, and the like. At the end of the day, because the OSSC doesn't offer samplerate in .5 increments for optimal timings, the image will always be slightly off. Lunar on the Sega CD was very noticeable. It's one of those situations where it would be easier if I owned a CRT.

It looks like Ace and FBX have a direct line to Kevtris, so I have every confidence that the audio will get sorted.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
You're right. I got myself into an obsessive rabbit hole over Genesis visuals that resulted in owning about a dozen Genesis revisions with various RGB bypass mods, lifted pins, cut traces, and the like. At the end of the day, because the OSSC doesn't offer samplerate in .5 increments for optimal timings, the image will always be slightly off. Lunar on the Sega CD was very noticeable. It's one of those situations where it would be easier if I owned a CRT.

It looks like Ace and FBX have a direct line to Kevtris, so I have every confidence that the audio will get sorted.

Haha, you sound like me! I've spent silly money on all this MD modding craziness, same as you, wanting but never quite achieving the results you expect! I've got 3 modded megadrives and 2 broken ones, and I tell you the VA1 Jap one I have, looks better with just the pin lifted, vs my fully decked out VA4, very annoying.

So anyhow the VA4 sounds amazing with FBX's amp, then after dialing in some decent scanlines, it looks really clear, with virtually no noticeable shit on the screen, which I'm pleased about, as I was gonna try a VA6.8 next, not bothering now.

Mr. Lemming

Oct 25, 2017
Got my US version. Is the reset button ridiculously stiff (to the point I'm not sure if its registering a press) for anyone else?

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
It's been 24 hours since I heard back from them. All I want to know is where to send my incorrect version.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
Got the model I ordered (the US version), and can't wait to get it up and running. Need to pick up some alcohol though, to do a little cart cleaning before...

Ruprit

Oct 25, 2017
MA
Haha, you sound like me! I've spent silly money on all this MD modding craziness, same as you, wanting but never quite achieving the results you expect! I've got 3 modded megadrives and 2 broken ones, and I tell you the VA1 Jap one I have, looks better with just the pin lifted, vs my fully decked out VA4, very annoying.

So anyhow the VA4 sounds amazing with FBX's amp, then after dialing in some decent scanlines, it looks really clear, with virtually no noticeable shit on the screen, which I'm pleased about, as I was gonna try a VA6.8 next, not bothering now.

I'm glad I'm not alone.

My best is a Model 1 VA2 where I lifted VDP pin 50, replaced capacitors, and installed the Mini Mega. I also have a Model 2 VA3 which is totally stock and looks amazing.

I somehow ended up with 4 Model 2 VA4s and while they sound pretty good, they all have the absolute worst image quality I have seen.

That said, I wouldn't throw away this experience because I learned so much in terms of modding and improving my soldering skills.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
S3&K special stages feel great, and Sub Terrania music sounds good. I'm happy.

Oct 28, 2017
London
Someone I know in Germany also received the EU version after ordering the JP variant. Analogue have told him that they will ship the JP buttons for him to swap out and replace.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Someone I know in Germany also received the EU version after ordering the JP variant. Analogue have told him that they will ship the JP buttons for him to swap out and replace.
Lol. Dammit that's what I asked for yesterday!

Oh well. Probably better to have $25 back in my pocket anyway. Good that that's an option for anyone else that this happens to now.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
I've had a few connection issues on my Mega SG, I have the 2.4 version and not Bluetooth. I've downloaded the firmware and when I open the controller folder via my work laptop it's showing empty? I've dragged the update file in anyways but not sure it's even sent or done anything. How do I check that it's been updated and what version I'm on?

Do I really need to update the receiver? I don't have a screwdriver but with the connection problems I've had pairing and losing connection then I guess I may try update that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.