• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
It really isn't. 720p is better on a 4k screen because the scanlines will be totally even and the scaling will remain an integer. I've seen what it can look like on OLED and it's very nice.

Which brings me to a sudden realization... Are people here that are concerned about 1080p scanlines using a 4k screen? You really shouldn't be. 720p is also a perfect integer on 4k and the scanlines are not a problem at all at that res.

Yeah, I've been extremely pleased with how scanlines look at 720p on my 4K TV, especially the hybrid scanlines. It looks surprisingly close to my CRT.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
It really isn't. 720p is better on a 4k screen because the scanlines will be totally even and the scaling will remain an integer. I've seen what it can look like on OLED and it's very nice.

I think the poster isn't worried about how it will look but more worried about the impact of the uneven wear of the display which could cause a burn in effect of horizontal lines all over the display.

ToD_

Oct 27, 2017
I think the poster isn't worried about how it will look but more worried about the impact of the uneven wear of the display which could cause a burn in effect of horizontal lines all over the display.
The pixel shift feature on OLEDs should prevent scanlines from causing uneven wear. So far no issues on mine with an OSSC with scanlines enabled.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, that makes more sense. Didn't occur to me because I've made a subconscious habit of cycling my TV's scroll bar to prevent burn in.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Played through like 2 dozen sonic rom hacks and the bulk felt like something someone put together after watching a youtube video on how to hack roms. C'est la vie. I did play a Streets of Rage 2 hack as Donkey Kong so not a complete waste of an evening all things considered.

Went back to this old classic just for fun times.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Complaining on Twitter appears to have worked. I got a DM and it seems like maybe it's been sorted. They told me it didn't actually ship but it will ship out tomorrow with overnight shipping. I'm hopeful, but not celebrating just yet.

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
Which brings me to a sudden realization... Are people here that are concerned about 1080p scanlines using a 4k screen? You really shouldn't be. 720p is also a perfect integer on 4k and the scanlines are not a problem at all at that res.

It's not that 720p scanlines are bad, but that normally it could even be better. On my megadrive connected to Framemeister, scanlines in 1080p look absolutely stunning, and the MegaSG/SuperNT don't come close in this regard. It's a pity they still haven't fixed this for both the Super NT and Mega SG now.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I've normally favored Nintendo at heart over Sega but man looking at the JPN Mega SG next to the JPN Super NT and I have to say the Mega SG looks nicer between the two.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hope it all gets sorted out for y'all in due time. Frustrating to spend that kind of cash on a premium product and have it get lost/stolen/delivered incorrectly. I recall many similar problems last year ... mostly arbitrary ship dates and DHL problems (in my case they basically didn't even attempt my home address). I'll probably grab the SG and an ever drive 5x in the next few weeks. Hope those of you who got everything in working order enjoy it !

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not that 720p scanlines are bad, but that normally it could even be better. On my megadrive connected to Framemeister, scanlines in 1080p look absolutely stunning, and the MegaSG/SuperNT don't come close in this regard. It's a pity they still haven't fixed this for both the Super NT and Mega SG now.
Uhh... the FM 1080p scanlines weren't any better. In fact they're worse if you aren't following firebrandx profiles, and it still wasn't as good as scanlines @ 720p.

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
Uhh... the FM 1080p scanlines weren't any better. In fact they're worse if you aren't following firebrandx profiles, and it still wasn't as good as scanlines @ 720p.

Before they were also bad and way too thin, now with FBX latest profiles they are really amazing. I could provide pics as comparison if you want.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Played through like 2 dozen sonic rom hacks and the bulk felt like something someone put together after watching a youtube video on how to hack roms. C'est la vie. I did play a Streets of Rage 2 hack as Donkey Kong so not a complete waste of an evening all things considered.

Went back to this old classic just for fun times.

Holy shit. I'm tracking down that rom hack for sure. Any others you'd recommend? I haven't played too many really great rom hacks before and wouldn't know where to begin.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. I'm tracking down that rom hack for sure. Any others you'd recommend? I haven't played too many really great rom hacks before and wouldn't know where to begin.
Not much in the way of wild stuff like this so far, but plenty of hacks of people trying to do interesting levels, mechanics, and character swaps. I'll make a few lists as I get through more.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
zkLNACf_d.jpg
So far I'm really digging this.

Has anybody done any guides for dialing in the video and audio? Particularly if I want it to sound as close to a Hi-def Genesis model 1? I know My Life in Gaming got pretty in-depth, but I don't want to keep searching through their video for the recommended settings.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

In my personal opinion based on a whole hell of a lot Kevtris has said over time, I don't think the better scanlines are a big priority to him nor is the DAC, because he doesn't like using scanlines and he doesn't actually think that CRT support is *that* important.

Rewriting scanlines is on the to-do list (for a long time, before the SG) and the DAC will come out also. It's just a matter of balancing Analogue's business interests plus Kevtris' personal interests (like any of us, he likes to work on things he enjoys and would benefit from himself first).

Analogue's bread and butter is getting marketable systems out in a timely fashion and Kevtris has limited time to work on 'side' projects.

Give it time.

What Analogue has delivered over their first three FPGA consoles is crazy impressive and we are fortunate.

Z_MET

Oct 31, 2017
zkLNACf_d.jpg
So far I'm really digging this.

Has anybody done any guides for dialing in the video and audio? Particularly if I want it to sound as close to a Hi-def Genesis model 1? I know My Life in Gaming got pretty in-depth, but I don't want to keep searching through their video for the recommended settings.
Gamesack has a video for dialing in the sound closer to a model one Genesis

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
Received my day 1 JPN order, and like others here it was the EUR version. Already paid Fedex's taxes and fees to import this so not going to return it, but am a bit annoyed.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
My experience with them was thankfully a lot smoother and expedient (same as you, ordered JPN, got EU). I'm hoping that time has passed and they're aware of how widespread the issue is and have somewhat of a plan in place that you'll have an easier time working something out with them.

But yeah, it's a bummer getting the wrong unit. :(

I hope so too. Looks like I got the form letter everyone else did last night (EUR version being more rare, offering $25 if I wanted to keep it). They also didn't mention anything about a sellout, but said it would be a couple of weeks to get the corrected unit because of shipping back and forth. I guess I understand that. This transaction, and I imagine all others who want a replacement, is going to be far more costly to them, as they'll have to pay return shipping and shipping of the new unit. And given the shipping cost was nearly $30 to begin with (as to why - it was five days from TX to PA, I could ship at that speed for half the rate), it'll be more than the $25 they were offering. If only the EUR version wasn't so bland (black and white only), I would have kept it as it's the same inside.

I replied this morning I wanted to replace, so we'll see how long it takes for them to respond.

In hindsight they should have just made all three colors of swapable buttons and included them in the box. Let people make their own version as they choose. I'm also going to be sure if the next thing they make is something I'd want to buy, to wait until the second round to hang on to my own money rather than let them.

And not to start a witch hunt, but I kinda wish the media would mention this shipping debacle. Not that I want to punish Analogue, but it seems right now they are just trying to keep this under the radar (offering $25 to keep the wrong console, saying it is a rarer version, not offering to pay return shipping in all cases, and more importantly no message on their website mentioning this error and a uniformed process for those impacted to get it corrected). Getting some visibility on this would kinda force them to get their process in order.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm trying to decide on getting one of these but I have a question I can't seem to figure out.

Ok most of my games are PAL and for instance if I were to place the original Sonic the Hedgehog on Mega Drive in this would it run at 50hz with the slower music (which I thought was how it was meant to sound when I originally got it) or will it somehow convert it to 60hz with the faster (or normal?) music? Or do I have to find US/Genesis copies of this or any other titles I want to try at 60hz?

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to decide on getting one of these but I have a question I can't seem to figure out.

Ok most of my games are PAL and for instance if I were to place the original Sonic the Hedgehog on Mega Drive in this would it run at 50hz with the slower music (which I thought was how it was meant to sound when I originally got it) or will it somehow convert it to 60hz with the faster (or normal?) music? Or do I have to find US/NTSC copies of this or any other titles I want to try at 60hz?

You can set the console region and it'll do either 50/60hz. There's video modes for both.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany

Ok most of my games are PAL and for instance if I were to place the original Sonic the Hedgehog on Mega Drive in this would it run at 50hz with the slower music (which I thought was how it was meant to sound when I originally got it) or will it somehow convert it to 60hz with the faster (or normal?) music? Or do I have to find US/Genesis copies of this or any other titles I want to try at 60hz?
I would like to know that (regarding pal games) as well.

Deleted member 1627

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would like to know that (regarding pal games) as well.
I was fiddling with the settings last night - I have it set to 720p 60 and the games auto-region detect so there's no issue running region-locked games, however I honestly couldn't tell what was going on with framerate. On my OG hardware I can switch between the regions and speeds with no issues and it all just works lovely, but on that hardware I can tell because borders vanish and the title screens change. We need some science up in here.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so there is a 60hz mode on the PAL games already? I wasn't sure if it was something that was placed on the cartridges to start with or not back in the day. That is good to know then.

It kinda varies, you can play PAL stuff at 60hz but some games will be too fast, an example being the Back to the Future 3 game. Sonic 1 as an example just seems fine.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I hope so too. Looks like I got the form letter everyone else did last night (EUR version being more rare, offering $25 if I wanted to keep it). They also didn't mention anything about a sellout, but said it would be a couple of weeks to get the corrected unit because of shipping back and forth. I guess I understand that. This transaction, and I imagine all others who want a replacement, is going to be far more costly to them, as they'll have to pay return shipping and shipping of the new unit. And given the shipping cost was nearly $30 to begin with (as to why - it was five days from TX to PA, I could ship at that speed for half the rate), it'll be more than the $25 they were offering. If only the EUR version wasn't so bland (black and white only), I would have kept it as it's the same inside.

I replied this morning I wanted to replace, so we'll see how long it takes for them to respond.

In hindsight they should have just made all three colors of swapable buttons and included them in the box. Let people make their own version as they choose. I'm also going to be sure if the next thing they make is something I'd want to buy, to wait until the second round to hang on to my own money rather than let them.

And not to start a witch hunt, but I kinda wish the media would mention this shipping debacle. Not that I want to punish Analogue, but it seems right now they are just trying to keep this under the radar (offering $25 to keep the wrong console, saying it is a rarer version, not offering to pay return shipping in all cases, and more importantly no message on their website mentioning this error and a uniformed process for those impacted to get it corrected). Getting some visibility on this would kinda force them to get their process in order.

At the end of the day its just two small bits of plastic a few cm big that are grey instead of blue and red. Its not like Analogue sent out white systems instead of black or mixed up Super NTs with Mega SGs. Its frustrating that the mix up happened and Analogue's customer service leaves little to be desired but is it seriously worth getting this upset about the color of a power button?

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
At the end of the day its just two small bits of plastic a few cm big that are grey instead of blue and red. Its not like Analogue sent out white systems instead of black or mixed up Super NTs with Mega SGs. Its frustrating that the mix up happened and Analogue's customer service leaves little to be desired but is it seriously worth getting this upset about the color of a power button?

If you have to look at it, then yes. If they offered aesthetic choices to their customers, then yes. If you spent $200 on it, then the answer is yes. Not to be snippy, but looking at your post history you haven't even ordered one, so why are you fit to judge?

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017

There is also a different colour inscription on the ring around the cartridge slot. People paid $189 (up front, months in advance) + $50 shipping + customs charges; they are entitled to get exactly what they paid for.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
God I'm so pleased with this unit that I'm almost teetering on the Super NT now. There's that part of me screaming in my head "You've got an OSSC you nob" though. Spent last night playing some Wonder Boy in Monster World and I got to Lilypad, never played the game before but it's so lovely and quaint.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I returned it because they changed the carrier

People can complain about the power and reset buttons as much as they want.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
Mine is waiting for pick up at a Fed Ex facility.

Anyone know if the Mega SG runs into any issues with the original X-Men game? There is a level that you have to physically reset the system in order to progress through the game.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Welp. I knew it was wise to not celebrate yet. I received another email saying that they don't have any consoles to send to me because they're out of stock. Unbelievable.

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Welp. I knew it was wise to not celebrate yet. I received another email saying that they don't have any consoles to send to me because they're out of stock. Unbelievable.
I just sent back my extremely rare euro version, so maybe you'd like that? It's really rare btw.

I love ordering and paying for a product in October and then watching as people who put their order in a few weeks ago get their stuff before me.

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Analogue definitely needs some better shipping partners. Similar shit happened with the Super NT. Those of us on the East Coast of the US, had to wait 7 - 10 days from when it shipped and people in EU were getting it in 2. Plus it cost more last time, I paid 40 for shipping with the Super NT, and it was slow as fuck. This time I only paid 25 and it should be here today, after shipping on Monday.

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That never works with Fedex Canada in my experience, which is how it was shipped. Analogue would have to reimburse the fees. It's not worth it.
They gave me their assurance and I'll hold them to their word. It's worth getting what I paid for back in October for 180 plus 50Us shipping.

And I'm still owed return shipping. They have not reimbursed that yet, but they said they would.

Last edited:

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
Now Analogue is telling me I should file a Fedex claim as well for my missing package...I better get my JPN model eventually :(

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I'm in software development, and transparency is a big part of coming to a solution to a problem. How about they cut and paste this onto their homepage (EDIT: to add, these are my words, not theirs, and my suggestion to them):

Although we were happy to announce we were able to start early shipments of our Analogue Sg console to pre-order customers, we have been alerted by several customers of issues with their pre-orders, such as shipping delays and receipt of the wrong console version.

For those of you who have pre-ordered and either received a shipping notice or have yet to receive their shipping notice, please click here to send us your information so we can investigate.

For those who had pre-ordered a specific console version but received a different one from what was ordered, you can either keep your version and receive a $25 credit, or click here to start the replacement process. A pre-paid mailing label will be sent to you so you can return to us the wrong console version received. Please note there may be a delay in receiving your correct version, based on shipping times and available stock on hand.

We would like to note that although the majority of our customers received their consoles correctly and timely, we do acknowledge that there are improvements we can make in this area to provide the best possible experience to all of our customers.

Thank you for your support.

I would like to add it would be nice if they offered the following to affected customers (EDIT: Again, my suggestion, not anything they have offered or proposed):

And for the inconvenience, we are providing those who return their consoles for a replacement a $25 credit on the Analogue shop, which you can use to purchase an additional controller or one of our other console offerings. We will also send your replacement console via upgraded shipping, to minimize your wait in enjoying what we believe to be one of our strongest products to date.

In addition, for some pre-orders we have been able to reduce the shipping costs from what was originally quoted. We will be issuing credits in the coming weeks to those who are eligible for this reduced cost.

Last edited:

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in software development, and transparency is a big part of coming to a solution to a problem. How about they cut and paste this onto their homepage:

I would like to add it would be nice if they offered the following to affected customers:
Where did you even find this? The quality of their customer service is kind of lacking. I understand they probably have a small team, but these shipping issues seem to be a recurring thing with them...they really need to improve on this front.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Where did you even find this? The quality of their customer service is kind of lacking. I understand they probably have a small team, but these shipping issues seem to be a recurring thing with them...they really need to improve on this front.

No, that was my suggestion they post something like that on their site. My words, not theirs. They didn't, that's the issue. They should be more transparent with this. I added EDITs to my post to clarify.

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
No, that was my suggestion they post something like that on their site. My words, not theirs. They didn't, that's the issue. They should be more transparent with this.
Ah gotcha, seemed like that was an update they had provided somewhere. Sad that customers are able to summarize and clarify the issues better than the company themselves.

spool

Oct 27, 2017
Fuuuuucking Fedex. I'm getting my (probably wrong model) Sg on monday, but better that than it having been returned to the sender like their website says. Their system for delivering to Sweden seems to be somewhat disastrous, with broken tracking and delayed and conflicting messages.

Status
Not open for further replies.