• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I really doubt this is willful. Analogue hasn't made a mixup like this before, and they take orders way ahead of time, so they have plenty of leadtime to make more of one kind of color pair for the power/reset buttons and sticker on the outside of the box. I think it's more plausible they do so to gauge how to prioritize their production line. And that their shipping company fucked up.

Edit: I think it's real stupid that we can't have a legitimate grievance with their shipping cost, shipping company switcheroo with international, and model mixups without some people taking it too far and trashing Kevtris and engaging in conspiracy theories. If that's where you want to take it, please don't and don't shit up the thread here.

Well if I started it, was more a joke about what cynical asshole I am than anything else.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Why are we not talking about Rocket Knight Adventures constantly? Bunch of morons we are. People are always going on about how they want more approachable action games and rocket knight is just out there smiling his cheerful ass off.
xOZ3Mor.png

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Well if I started it, was more a joke about what cynical asshole I am than anything else.
All good (and wasn't directed at you). I'm also hot under the collar because I love Analogue's products but also am pretty frustrated at how they're mixing up models and how customers get screwed over shipping.

Imma take a night off Era and focus on my Mega SG. So far so good! Hope everyone else is able to enjoy theirs (if they've arrived) despite shipping mishaps. :)

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
Why are we not talking about Rocket Knight Adventures constantly? Bunch of morons we are. People are always going on about how they want more approachable action games and rocket knight is just out there smiling his cheerful ass off.
xOZ3Mor.png
Rocket Knight is easily a top ten Genesis game. I love it so much.

Never played the sequels. Too scared to try them.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Analogue e-mailed me that they can't exchange my unit for what I actually ordered because they are sold out. Options are to keep the wrong one or wait. What a shit show for customer service.

I'm actually coming back to conspiracy theory. If I purchased mine just after they went live months ago, and I didn't receive what I ordered.. then where is it? How are they sold out of JPN units if they shipped EU units to some people that purchased them?

Last edited:

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Analogue e-mailed me that they can't exchange my unit for what I actually ordered because they are sold out. Options are to keep the wrong one or wait. What a shit show for customer service.

I'm actually coming back to conspiracy theory. If I purchased mine just after they went live months ago, and I didn't receive what I ordered.. then where is it? How are they sold out of JPN units if they shipped EU units to people that purchased them?
I returned my Japan unit, so they'll have one soon

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it doesn't look like Kevtris addressed the scan lines, which he's basically stated would be very tedious to correct and he'd rather be doing just about anything else. For scanlines use 720p and 3x and it's just about perfect.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
Scanlines are wonky at 4.5X on 1080p. They look fine at 4X and 5X but 4X is a l'il small and 5X is too much overscan for games where the HUD graphics etc go right to the top and bottom like Ultracore.

mattysaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh. I put my preorder in the day sales went live. Analogue has had $225 of my money since October, and I have yet to receive a shipping confirmation. I sent them a support ticket, thinking I was probably just being impatient, and they replied with the following:

Hi Matt,

Preorders for this next batch will be shipping in 2-3 weeks. At the moment we are doing a quick restock shipment and warehouse move.

Cheers!
Analogue Support
www.analogue.co

Completely unacceptable.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh. I put my preorder in the day sales went live. Analogue has had $225 of my money since October, and I have yet to receive a shipping confirmation. I sent them a support ticket, thinking I was probably just being impatient, and they replied with the following:

Hi Matt,

Preorders for this next batch will be shipping in 2-3 weeks. At the moment we are doing a quick restock shipment and warehouse move.

Cheers!
Analogue Support
www.analogue.co

Completely unacceptable.

Hopefully they just misunderstood your email and thought you were someone that ordered recently.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
There is a new chip mod for the genesis which removes jail bars and improves audio.

Are you talking about the triple bypass by db electronics?, if so that's designed for model 2 Mega Drives (or VA7 model 1s).

My understanding of the current state of affairs with the model 1 is that an RGB bypass can cure the jailbars but it can also significantly exacerbate the ram noise.

Bob from retrorgb has been teasing a development for some time and cautioned against doing anything other than disabling component video to clean up RGB output.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain what FPGA means in this sense? I watched the MJR vid, and my take away was they basically recreated the internal hardware on the Mega Drive , rather than emulation, so its as if its playing on original hardware but with some extra good stuff like 1080p output/scaling etc.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Can someone explain what FPGA means in this sense? I watched the MJR vid, and my take away was they basically recreated the internal hardware on the Mega Drive , rather than emulation, so its as if its playing on original hardware but with some extra good stuff like 1080p output/scaling etc.
It's hardware emulation instead of software emulation.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
You mean like with the Super Nt where new people ignore it and keep posting in this thread instead?

That frustrated me to no end. lol. I do think part of it was because the Super Nt shipping OT was made for someone else (I forget what the ResetERA term for that is offhand) and the Super Nt OT was in Hangouts which definitely doesn't get as much traffic. I almost wonder if a general Analogue OT would make more sense? Something that encompasses the consolized MVS, Analogue Nt, Nt Mini, Super Nt and Mega Sg. The only thing keeping me from doing it myself is my lack of art, photoshop and organizational skills. lol

Last edited:

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Day three and I still have not received a response to my questions for my wrong item shipped. I don't think I'm asking for too much.

Last edited:

Dr_Biscuit

Oct 28, 2017
France
That is exactly that.
A FPGA is a chip containing arrays of logic gates and other components like RAM for example.
Then your program is a description of a chip or a circuit which translate into programming fuses that will direct the signals to the right components in order to replicate a real chip or circuit.
If that's the goal ( because you could also use a FPGA to do prototype of a future hardware) the difficulty then is to match the timing of the communications between the main parts of the chip/circuit with the one you are trying to replicate.

It's hardware emulation instead of software emulation.
It's not emulation.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That is exactly that.
A FPGA is a chip containing arrays of logic gates and other components like RAM for example.
Then your program is a description of a circuit which translate into programmable fuses that will direct the signals to the right components in order to replicate a real chip or circuit.
If that's the goal ( because you could also use a FPGA to do prototype of future chip) the difficulty then is to match the timing of the communication between the main parts of the chip/circuit with the one you are trying to replicate.

It's not emulation.
It really is. It's emulating how the real hardware would work.

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the explanations :) So would this be considered "perfect" or just much closer to perfect emulation of the original?

Deleted member 5956

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just to spice things up received the USA model instead of the Japanese I ordered, what a mess. I wouldn't have minded the European one either, would probably have just put up with it!

Oct 25, 2017
xOZ3Mor.png
Well it is one of the best games of all time, so people are afraid that talking about it might have others stop playing games that aren't Rocket Knight Adventures altogether!

I think "simulation" is more applicable in this case but I could be wrong.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
I'm starting to feel relieved I actually got my Jap one!

Rocket Knight Adventures is ace and one of the first games I revisited with the Mega Sg.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
It's recreating the original hardware

I dislike the emulation term because it isn't emulating. It's basically the original chips « engraved » on the fpga.

FPGA can be for many processors the first step before becoming an ASIC one

Deleted member 5956

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Day three and I still have not received a response to my questions for my wrong item shipped. I don't think I'm asking for too much.

I'm now in the same place as you. Despite telling them that I received a USA model and giving clear and concise questions I wanted answering about how to send it back and that I would fully expect them to pay for said return they just responded with a pre-typed message about the EUR model that I have seen other people receive.

If anyone in the UK has an unopened EUR or JP model that they would want to swap for a USA one then let me know because I can tell this is going to be a painful experience and I just cant be bothered to deal with Analogue if they don't even have to capacity to read the emails.

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm now in the same place as you. Despite telling them that I received a USA model and giving clear and concise questions I wanted answering about how to send it back and that I would fully expect them to pay for said return they just responded with a pre-typed message about the EUR model that I have seen other people receive.

If anyone in the UK has an unopened EUR or JP model that they would want to swap for a USA one then let me know because I can tell this is going to be a painful experience and I just cant be bothered to deal with Analogue if they don't even have to capacity to read the emails.
They just replied to me and told me that it will now take a number of weeks to get a replacement even though I paid on day 1 of pre-orders. They offered me 25 US to keep the euro unit and they stated it's better because it is rarer.

They still have not answered my questions.

I really just want my jpn model I ordered all those months ago...

Deleted member 5956

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They just replied to me and told me that it will now take a number of weeks to get a replacement even though I paid on day 1 of pre-orders. They offered me 25 US to keep the euro unit and they stated it's better because it is rarer.

They still have not answered my questions.

I really just want my jpn model I ordered all those months ago...

you got the same email as everyone else is receiving, clearly they can't deal with this on an individual basis.

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They finally answered my questions (is it okay that it is opened, etc) and now they're saying it will take long time to get a replacement.

I still think it would be interesting for at least one person in the games writing business to post an article about this. Or are they afraid to offend the people that gave them free units?

At this point, I'm convinced they overproduced the euro model.

Last edited:

iyox

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone having trouble with the Mega and the M30? I am getting terrible lag from the inputs. I have only played sonic, but inputs are either missed or delayed by seconds. I am not sure if it's interference with the controller or some other issue.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
They finally answered my questions (is it okay that it is opened, etc) and now they're saying it will take long time to get a replacement.

I still think it would be interesting for at least one person in the games writing business to post an article about this. Or are they afraid to offend the people that gave them free units?

At this point, I'm convinced they overproduced the euro model.
Yeah I bet the got their order submissions mixed up. More of the Euro and less of one of the others. So they just sent people the wrong orders hoping few people would complain.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Anyone having trouble with the Mega and the M30? I am getting terrible lag from the inputs. I have only played sonic, but inputs are either missed or delayed by seconds. I am not sure if it's interference with the controller or some other issue.

Have you updated the M30 firmware yet? I had some issues at first but not noticed any since updating.

RynoW

Mar 26, 2019
I highly doubt Analogue instructed their shipping company that they contracted out to ship the wrong version intentionally. There definitely is a screw up for whatever reason, but I don't buy the conspiracy theory.
Considering people are now reporting that Analogue can't replace their wrongly-shipped model with the JPN one because they're out, it's pretty clear that's what's going on.

If it's a "conspiracy theory," what other explanation is there? Analogue under-producing the JPN model, and fulfilling those orders with whatever they had on hand is the only reasonable explanation.

I'm not trashing Kevtris (what in the world would he have to do with this anyway?) and I don't know why people are being weirdly defensive of Analogue. Analogue is now doing the right thing by offering people $25 to keep their incorrect console, but they should have been upfront about it before shipping to give people that option. The situation is an unfortunate mar on an otherwise spectacular launch.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I contacted them about my order and they said they'll reach out to the shipping partner and I should see movement on the order today. But based on them telling other people they're all sold out, it's sounding like they might not even have one to ship me. Really hope that isn't the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.