• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017

Great video! The others were too but I didn't understand most of the jargon lol.

I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the graphical options on this. I'll be using a 49inch 4k screen and want a crisp clean image with scan lines and no lag.

Assuming it won't take a lot of tinkering? I want a one size fits all, don't wanna have to tinker per game.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Great video! The others were too but I didn't understand most of the jargon lol.

I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the graphical options on this. I'll be using a 49inch 4k screen and want a crisp clean image with scan lines and no lag.

Assuming it won't take a lot of tinkering? I want a one size fits all, don't wanna have to tinker per game.
I'm sure there will be a dozen "how to configure your MegaSG display settings" videos on youtube within a week or so.

There were little things here and there that I would adjust on a per game basis with my Super NT but after a while just settled in with one and didn't think about it any more. Here though there seems to be a lot of settings around sound, so maybe that might take a bit to dial in, if you are into that sort of thing.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure there will be a dozen "how to configure your MegaSG display settings" videos on youtube within a week or so.

There were little things here and there that I would adjust on a per game basis with my Super NT but after a while just settled in with one and didn't think about it any more. Here though there seems to be a lot of settings around sound, so maybe that might take a bit to dial in, if you are into that sort of thing.
Great thanks for the reply! Guess it's early days, I'll wait on the videos and just set them as best I can. I'm more of a casual gamer that's just happy to be able to play my old games on a modern display.

I've never spent as much on eBay in my life!

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
FYI - I had to pay $47 duties as a Canadian. Quite the price tag all things considered. Still excited though.

Oct 28, 2017
London
Just had mine delivered and they sent me a European version instead of the Japanese :(

Exactly the same thing happened with mine (I'm in the UK). I contacted Analogue, arranged for DHL to collect the package, provided Analogue with the tracking number before they arranged to send the JP version via FED Express, scheduled to arrive on Wednesday. Got to say, they were very helpful and offered to reimburse my shipping costs.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure that whenever it gets the jailbroken firmware, it'll support all of the games without the adapters. But because they're trying to sell the adapters, I wonder if the jailbreak will take longer.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm sure that whenever it gets the jailbroken firmware, it'll support all of the games without the adapters. But because they're trying to sell the adapters, I wonder if the jailbreak will take longer.
Or it could be that the GG core won't be added to the firmware until after their adapter is released. A JB FW with just the Genesis and Master System ROM loading could be released before that.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Is the MLiG video the only one to mention compatibility problems with the Sega CD? The MVG video said it worked perfectly.

Jeremy Parrish review on IGN does not mention the SegaCD compatibility issues either, and neither does the Gizmodo review, where they forgot the Sega Saturn ever existed, by the way. Have not had enough time to read all the reviews.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Or it could be that the GG core won't be added to the firmware until after their adapter is released. A JB FW with just the Genesis and Master System ROM loading could be released before that.
The Game Gear and Master System are extremely similar hardware. I can't imagine that much extra work needs to be done there. They haven't released the Mark3 cartridge adapter, either, and that's literally the same as the Master System.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, this incorporates dithering?!? Can anyone include screenshots of something like, say, Virtua Racing? Just noticed this via Jeremy's review on IGN.

Edit: And it also supports Virtua Racing. That's the first I'd read of it actually being supported. Thank goodness.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Jeremy Parrish review on IGN does not mention the SegaCD compatibility issues either, and neither does the Gizmodo review, where they forgot the Sega Saturn ever existed, by the way. Have not had enough time to read all the reviews.
Coury from MLiG said Dark1x had the same problem with Chuck Rock also. I'm looking forward to when he has the time to do his video for it also.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I only had a handful of Sega CD games on hand to try for my review, and I didn't experience any problems with them. Honestly, I wouldn't have dinged the system if I had come across one of those isolated incompatibility. Devices like this never work 100% flawlessly directly out of the box, and Analogue has proven to be extremely responsive when it comes to corrective updates for incompatibilities on its previous devices.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I only had a handful of Sega CD games on hand to try for my review, and I didn't experience any problems with them. Honestly, I wouldn't have dinged the system if I had come across one of those isolated incompatibility. Devices like this never work 100% flawlessly directly out of the box, and Analogue has proven to be extremely responsive when it comes to corrective updates for incompatibilities on its previous devices.
I like that MLiG acknowledged the issue while also stating it would most likely be fixed later. Much better than just ignoring it completely.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017

Gizmodo really needs to leave console reviews to Kotaku. They review gaming hardware with all the depth and understanding of a tech beat reporter for the San Fernando Gazette.

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1. Charged an Extra 10 dollars for shipping
2. They sent the wrong model (ordered the JPN, got the EUR.

I emailed them, but I'm not exactly thrilled with my day 1 experience here. For 50 US + 10 CDN shipping, this should not have happened.

B9RCoq7.png

VnmNQbw.png

kEwKD0t.jpg

Last edited:

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I like that MLiG acknowledged the issue while also stating it would most likely be fixed later. Much better than just ignoring it completely.
Yeah, that would have been my approach had I encountered those issues. Analogue has enough of a proven track record at this point that I think it's fair to assure readers they can expect problems like that to be resolved quickly.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Coury from MLiG said Dark1x had the same problem with Chuck Rock also. I'm looking forward to when he has the time to do his video for it also.
From what I understand, any problems with games are usually fixed pretty quickly with these sort of devices. I'm more surprised that something like the demoscene stuff works flawlessly.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
Managed to sort the M30 firmware update. I had to dash to the local hardware store to get a set of screwdrivers for the receiver (existing ones didn't fit), got there 10 mins before it shut at 8pm. Worth it for not waiting until tommorow for a hit of nostalgia though.

omgkitty

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville
Exactly the same thing happened with mine (I'm in the UK). I contacted Analogue, arranged for DHL to collect the package, provided Analogue with the tracking number before they arranged to send the JP version via FED Express, scheduled to arrive on Wednesday. Got to say, they were very helpful and offered to reimburse my shipping costs.

When did you contact them? I emailed this morning and haven't heard anything back from them yet. I just replied to my order email at - [email protected]

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
Mine shows up tomorrow, at the moment the only two physical cartridges I have to test on it are Phantasy Star II and IV - but I've been itching to replay PSIV for a while now, so this is a good excuse to finally do it.

Next paycheck: an Everdrive X7.

Oct 27, 2017
Mine is supposed to show up tomorrow, but the last update says it hasn't even left Texas yet. I guess as long as it gets here before the weekend I'll happy.

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Update on receiving the wrong item from Analogue:

Like the poster above, they asked that I ship it back at my expense and they will then ship my order once they receive a tracking number. They offered to reimburse the 10 extra dollars I incurred from fedex on top of whatever shipping back to Texas might cost.

They also told me to return it, un-opened, which is impossible, because I did not inspect the box label before cracking it open.

Anyway, I bounced the ball back in their court and told them that wasn't good enough. I expect them to do everything at this point, including arranging with FedEx on the return shipping and find a way for me not to have to pay customs again.

I understand things like this can happen, but for the shipping price and being a day 1 order, I think a little more can be done for me.

I'll let you know how it goes. Not impressed so far.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I would think just sending a replacement shell or even just the buttons would be way easier/faster. They could mark the value as like 1$ on the form since it is just a hunk of plastic anyway to avoid customs.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Update on receiving the wrong item from Analogue:

Like the poster above, they asked that I ship it back at my expense and they will then ship my order once they receive a tracking number. They offered to reimburse the 10 extra dollars I incurred from fedex on top of whatever shipping back to Texas might cost.

They also told me to return it, un-opened, which is impossible, because I did not inspect the box label before cracking it open.

Anyway, I bounced the ball back in their court and told them that wasn't good enough. I expect them to do everything at this point, including arranging with FedEx on the return shipping and find a way for me not to have to pay customs again.

I understand things like this can happen, but for the shipping price and being a day 1 order, I think a little more can be done for me.

I'll let you know how it goes. Not impressed so far.
Nor should you be. That sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. :(

I'm also not sure why, like what was said above, they wouldn't just send you a shell. If memory serves, with broken Super NT units, something they offered was an option to send you a replacement board you install in the shell yourself.

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nor should you be. That sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. :(

I'm also not sure why, like what was said above, they wouldn't just send you a shell. If memory serves, with broken Super NT units, something they offered was an option to send you a replacement board you install in the shell yourself.

A replacement shell would be fine, but I'm the kind of crazy that would also want the box to have the proper sticker with the "JPN" on it as well. I wonder if they would accommodate that...

Kaworu

Oct 28, 2017
I got it already and it's still unopened, how can I tell if I got the Japanese model I ordered?

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Any photos or videos of the white version? Only pictures I can find are renders, want to see how good it looks in natural settings before I order one.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
After watching the MLIG video and seeing the sound customisation options, I definitely want to buy one. Would there be any way of shipping it to Australia cheaper than the $80USD Analog are asking? Best I can gather is that it's expensive everywhere, so there's little point in trying :/
Fake edit: Shipping two brings it to $50USD per console, and three brings it to $40USD. I need to find another sucker enthusiast!

Goddamn, that looks like it's made out of snow.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
After watching the MLIG video and seeing the sound customisation options, I definitely want to buy one. Would there be any way of shipping it to Australia cheaper than the $80USD Analog are asking? Best I can gather is that it's expensive everywhere, so there's little point in trying :/
Fake edit: Shipping two brings it to $50USD per console, and three brings it to $40USD. I need to find another sucker enthusiast!

It's around $30 just to have it shipped to somewhere in the continental US.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
I ordered 2 of the new 6 button Retro-Bit controllers a few weeks back and they have been delayed until mid May. This sucks!

I do have an 8bitdo M30 and original controller but I was looking forward to some 4 player action. Aw well.

Status
Not open for further replies.