• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Omg this is exactly what I've been doing too, spent a mini fortune haha! I've got some bargains off eBay buy games like Streets of Rage 2 still command a high price.

Some good games on that list to inspire me!

Do the CEX games come with manuals? It doesn't say on their site, only if boxed.

There's no way to know. Some came with manuals and some didn't unfortunately.

Searching on eBay has become a bit annoying though. Basically having to look for games that look in worse condition so you arent worried that you are getting a repro cart! Worse for SNES I think as a lot of Mega Drive repros look off but still annoying.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
FYI the X5 does support saves without reset, it just doesn't do save states. The x7 is the only one with save states.

Also, for what it's worth, I would assume the X7 is safe for the Analogue sg. That db electronics article scared me enough to sell my X7 and just stick with the X5 for my original hardware, so that's what I'll also be using on the sg.

Oh, thanks for the correction. My knowledge was based on my v1.

DRULYBXA

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone able to give a view on how PAL games play on it? I've picked up Sonic 1 & 2 JPN carts but would be a cheaper prospect to go with PAL...

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I need to try and find a site in the UK that sells replacement cases. I've ordered one from eBay but they are £7.99 each whereas the site I found in the US sell 5 for $15 so I want something more like that. The majority of my games now have original cases but when I first started rebuilding my collection I didn't care as much as I do now.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I sure hope that eventually their FPGA work gets made open source. It's a fantastic preservation effort, but would be a shame for it to be tied to a limited commercial hardware project indefinitely.

To be clear I'm thinking of a timeframe in which these devices are no longer commercially available.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
There's no way to know. Some came with manuals and some didn't unfortunately.

Searching on eBay has become a bit annoying though. Basically having to look for games that look in worse condition so you arent worried that you are getting a repro cart! Worse for SNES I think as a lot of Mega Drive repros look off but still annoying.
Didn't even think of that happening. The ones I've got off eBay look sufficiently worn so hoping they are the real deal! Thanks for the info.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
They show the font screen. It looks like not only does it have the alternate font that the Super NT has, it supports user loaded fonts as well.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered an X7 everdrive. Looks like the date to get one is pushing out further and further so hop on it if meaning to do so.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I'm curious, does anybody have any plans to sell/trade off original hardware for the MegaSG?

I'm debating the need to continue to hold on to my Master System, Game Gear and Model 1 genesis if I grab the MegaSG. I did end up selling off my SnesJr when I got the SuperNT and was more then happy with the swap. It also doesn't help that the screen on my GG is getting pretty bad so it kind of makes it hard to continue to play GG games on it (I actually love a lot of GG games and playing them on my TV is one of the biggest selling points of the MeagSG for me). I will admit I might keep the Model 1 still incase I ever end up with a 32x some day.

I should also add that I have a crap ton of retro systems so pairing down a bit might be good.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a retro collector, these machine a getting exponentially hard not to buy, the price is insane to me though. :lol

Somewhere in me I know that I'll crack eventually, it's just a matter of when.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious, does anybody have any plans to sell/trade off original hardware for the MegaSG?

I'm debating the need to continue to hold on to my Master System, Game Gear and Model 1 genesis if I grab the MegaSG. I did end up selling off my SnesJr when I got the SuperNT and was more then happy with the swap. It also doesn't help that the screen on my GG is getting pretty bad so it kind of makes it hard to continue to play GG games on it (I actually love a lot of GG games and playing them on my TV is one of the biggest selling points of the MeagSG for me). I will admit I might keep the Model 1 still incase I ever end up with a 32x some day.

I should also add that I have a crap ton of retro systems so pairing down a bit might be good.
DAC first and then maybe. And that is an enormous maybe.

I still have a famicom and NES despite having the NT mini. I don't know if I will ever truly be comfortable getting rid of them entirely, but it crosses my mind from time to time. Which is not something I can say about any solution I have used previously from emulator boxes, virtual consoles, or whatever else.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017

Need to set it up and see how I feel for a while cuz' I may just, I also have a MiSTER and that almost made me consider stuff if it wasn't for a few things.
I did offer (dependent) to give my MD to my mate with my Everdrive if it turns out alright.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm already thinking about limiting my retro collection to just SNES and Mega Drive but that means those are the two I'll be keeping the original hardware for and probably displaying when I have more space.

Sold a load of Saturn and PS1 games yesterday to get more Mega Drive games and I may get rid of my Panasonic Q soon as well.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I should add, I'm at about roughly 18 consoles (not counting duplicates or portables). So the thought of consolidating just a smudge is tempting. =/

DAC first and then maybe. And that is an enormous maybe.

I still have a famicom and NES despite having the NT mini. I don't know if I will ever truly be comfortable getting rid of them entirely, but it crosses my mind from time to time. Which is not something I can say about any solution I have used previously from emulator boxes, virtual consoles, or whatever else.
While the DAC would be great, my CRT is getting a bit old and there is no way in hell the wife will let me replace that one. =)

I don't like playing on emulators or using clone consoles (I admit I have the X classic systems but more for their looks then functionality) but the SuperNT felt pretty damn close for me that I didn't mind anymore not having my snes jr around.

Sounds like you already made up your mind. If you aren't that attached to them and the Sg will do everything you need, then that's how it is.
I'm attached to my retro systems (which is kind of why i'm asking in the first place), just there are times I do feel I might have too many (or my wife is finally getting to me). I just also like putting stuff away (closet or locker) when i'm not using them. So I just can't fully see me busting out the genesis or MS again when I could pull this out and play on my larger tv over my smaller crt.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
So if they're shipping the Mega SG, can I order one and a Super NT and get both in the same shipment?

zenosparadox

Nov 13, 2017
So if they're shipping the Mega SG, can I order one and a Super NT and get both in the same shipment?
On their website a while back, I tired to order both but they don't allow ready-for-shipment and pre-orders in the same order. They would have to change their storefront to allow it which I would be surprised if they did so.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
On their website a while back, I tired to order both but they don't allow ready-for-shipment and pre-orders in the same order. They would have to change their storefront to allow it which I would be surprised if they did so.

That's exactly the problem I had, which is why I haven't bought the Super NT yet.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
The font could be changed on the Super NT so I'm sure you'll be able to here as well.
They show the font screen. It looks like not only does it have the alternate font that the Super NT has, it supports user loaded fonts as well.
It'd be nice if they didn't set the font settings to the exact opposite of what's most readable by default, though. Each time you update the firmware, you have to change your settings again.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
99% sure will be able to load games off sd card
I'm aware.

edit: to come across less snippy, as that wasn't my intention, I've used the jailbreaks on the NT mini and the Super Nt extensively. They are a nice convenience and I'm very much glad they are an option, however an everdrive is an overall more versatile device.

Last edited:

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I'm aware.

edit: to come across less snippy, as that wasn't my intention, I've used the jailbreaks on the NT mini and the Super Nt extensively. They are a nice convenience and I'm very much glad they are an option, however an everdrive is an overall more versatile device.
Yes, if you still plan to use old hardware, for sure.

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I sure hope that eventually their FPGA work gets made open source. It's a fantastic preservation effort, but would be a shame for it to be tied to a limited commercial hardware project indefinitely.

To be clear I'm thinking of a timeframe in which these devices are no longer commercially available.
analogue does not own the rights to these fpga cores. Kevtris does. Kevtris could make them open if he so chooses.

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN

Don't sell your classic hardware. They still have value and they will probably end up being more reliable than the mega sg will long term.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ignorant on the tech side of things, so I ignorantly ask how likely/possible is it to make a pc engine device that could play CD rom games off an SD card?

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
What is the basis for this claim?
We have 30+ years knowing Sega Genesis hardware is reliable. We don't have a basis for the mega sg. If the NT and Super NT are a basis, there have been some reports of failure rates for hardware.

Like any electronic device, they can fail at any point. The hardware should be reliable, but there is always a chance there could be issues.

DRULYBXA

Oct 25, 2017
Neither game is region locked. They should play basically identically. The Japanese version of Sonic 1 got extra detail in its background scrolling though

Hi, sorry I wasn't clear - I was referring to the 50 Hz Vs 60hz differences. I'm guessing PAL games will play in 50hz and it's not possible to switch to 60hz?

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Master system PAL releases are all basically just NTSC on the cart right? So not many of those would pose a problem running at 60hz?

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Excellent, I was wondering about this. So all of my PAL games can be set to 60hz and play at full speed?
"All" and "most" are different words (you're replying with "all" to a post saying "most"). Most of your games can be set to 60Hz without issue, a few will have been optimized already at 50Hz and will not work correctly at 60. You'll have to test it out.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Not strictly related to this version, but did I imagine Analogue saying they were going to do a PlayStation one of these systems?

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
The question isn't whether the Mega SG lasts longer than a Genesis, it's whether a Mega SG lasts longer than a 30 year old Genesis. We do know many Genesis have survived until now, but that's not good evidence that they'l survive going forward.

All traditional hardware is going to be vulnerable at minimum to capacitor failure. Both the Genesis and the Game Gear have relatively more frequent capacitor failures than other hardware of the time and the person you replied to was describing their Game Gear almost certainly currently experiencing capacitor failure.

As for value, Genesis, SMS, and GG prices have been stable as long as PriceCharting has been tracking them (12 years) and so if he sells now he'll almost certainly be able to rebuy for the same cost later. Model 1 is flat, Model 2 up a bit, Model 3 down a bit. Master System up a bunch over last 2 years but stable relative to 10 years ago. Game Gear stable over 12 years.

I'd wait 3-6 months to ensure the Mega SG is not a lemon and then sell the rest.
I haven't heard of any significant issues with Genesis/mega drive capacitor issues. I know the game gear had issues(I knowbecause I have one that needs a cap replacement.)

Most systems with capacitor problems were between 91-93.

Systems like game gear and turbo duo were hit hard by cheaply made capacitors. First model Sega can also have issues, but less common. More common drive failures with those.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Not strictly related to this version, but did I imagine Analogue saying they were going to do a PlayStation one of these systems?
Kevtris, talking to MLiG I believe, around when the super nt released said the N64 is too complex for current hardware/price points and speculated the psx is probably possible.

Only comments along these lines I am aware.

Status
Not open for further replies.