• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
a few years ago i went to the one of the two frys in sacramento and it was stacked. went back maybe a year later and it was deserted. its a sad thing to see. it was my go-to for any pc-related thing that i needed in a pinch.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. I should visit the Burbank one and throw some money their way.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I know for a fact that the Tustin location gets folks coming from LA *and* San Diego on occasion. Barring any unforeseen situations, it's not going anywhere. Haven't they been doing promos with Tech Youtubers like Linus lately, too?
Yeah they seem to be doing well. I used to live in Irvine but i occasionally make the trek down now from LA as well for those sweet deals lol

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
saw a video where an employee said they had sorted out their stock problem and where going with a different company but that might of been a bunch of bs fed to the employees so they would stick around while they try and sell the remaining stock they have.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there anywhere left to go for people that just need real-shit computer supplies? Like if I wanted 25 feet of coaxial cable or a wall outlet for CAT-5, would there be any kind of local option? CompUSA is dead, Radioshack is dead, Fry's is on the way out...

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there anywhere left to go for people that just need real-shit computer supplies? Like if I wanted 25 feet of coaxial cable or a wall outlet for CAT-5, would there be any kind of local option? CompUSA is dead, Radioshack is dead, Fry's is on the way out...
online honestly. although some of the stuff you said can be found at electrical supply stores. just stuff like coaxial cable and the cat 5 outlet but you aren't going to find any other specialty stuff.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I went to the Palo Alto one last summer and the customer service and selection were abysmal (plus the decor was definitely 30 years out of date). It was a far cry from 15 years ago when I would love going there due to their really good deals.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
They are such big fucking stores I can't imagine how expensive the leases must be and how hard it must be to pay the bills with what they sell.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Thank Goodness JB Hifi in Australia seems to be making money otherwise I'd have little reason to leve the house.
Yeah, JB Hi-Fi is actually becoming an international model of how to run brick and mortar electronics stores while being profitable. They're everywhere, the stores are always full and they have quite a lot of options to choose from.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta lost one of its two Fry's stores just before Christmas.

The decay had been slow and evident. Kinda sad to see. I remember when that place used to be fully stocked and busy near constantly.

It's also matching the surrounding area. It's right next to Gwinnett Place Mall (dead mall that was transformed into StarCourt in Stranger Things)
Traditional commerce in that area has been dropping like flies. The only saving grace has been the Asian community swooping up property and opening independent stores.

That sucks. I always went to the one near Alpharetta, so it's good to know it's still around for at least a little while longer.

CeramicDragon

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Orange, CA
That fry's sucks. Waiting for the fountain valley one to close down. That parking lot serves as a lot for the Kaiser. Microcenter is where it's at. Loved picking up parts for a build. Store is smaller than a fry's, doesn't have a theme or a cafe. If microcenter goes down, it will be a sad day.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I'm always curious how the Fry's next to me is a graveyard, but the Microcenter (which I remember shopping at 30 years ago) is still always packed and doing great.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are such big fucking stores I can't imagine how expensive the leases must be and how hard it must be to pay the bills with what they sell.
they also had an army of employees and cashiers at their height. last time i went they only had like 2 cashiers and almost nobody on the sales floor.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
I think it began a long time ago. The Burbank store has been practically empty for a while now.

Microcenter is cool but it's in orange county so it's pretty far

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I go to the Fry's in Oregon every once in a while when I need a PC component right away. It's always a fucking wasteland and their selection is godawful.

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in Anaheim didn't even know we had a Fry's. Ha!

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
saw a video where an employee said they had sorted out their stock problem and where going with a different company but that might of been a bunch of bs fed to the employees so they would stick around while they try and sell the remaining stock they have.

The employees at the one by me have been saying that for a year, but I haven't seen any stock except some Switch consoles come in since then.
they also had an army of employees and cashiers at their height. last time i went they only had like 2 cashiers and almost nobody on the sales floor.

I've seen no cashiers, noone in customer service, and noone at the doors at the same time.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The one in Manhattan Beach usually has cars in the parking lot. Not sure how it is on the inside.

The one time I went to the Anaheim one was 8-9 years ago and it was packed. So much shit wall to wall. Bought a sealed copy of Rune Factory Frontier on Wii for $5 or something.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I live in Anaheim didn't even know we had a Fry's. Ha!
Well not anymore 🤪

Lol HOW did you miss Fry's? It's literally backed up against the 91 freeway right next to the 57. Huge lightup sign and everything. You'd almost have to avert your eyes to miss it.

El Goom

Oct 27, 2017
Went to the Vegas store a week ago just to see if it was that bad in the video, and it's even worse. The slot machine out front is frozen, absolutely nothing is plugged in to try out, the only graphics card they had was a GeForce 1030 (!), it seriously felt like a Dead Mall series from YouTube in there.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The one in Manhattan Beach usually has cars in the parking lot. Not sure how it is on the inside.

I haven't been to that location in several years.
I used to live in Manhattan Beach, though.
That location is TINY compared to the two stores in San Diego County and all the other ones I've been to.

Mr_Nothin

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Atlanta lost one of its two Fry's stores just before Christmas.

The decay had been slow and evident. Kinda sad to see. I remember when that place used to be fully stocked and busy near constantly.

It's also matching the surrounding area. It's right next to Gwinnett Place Mall (dead mall that was transformed into StarCourt in Stranger Things)
Traditional commerce in that area has been dropping like flies. The only saving grace has been the Asian community swooping up property and opening independent stores.
Microcenter killed that location.
Microcenter is pretty busy at all times of the day. That Frys became a "hey do you need help (so i can get commission)" hell hole pretty fast and Microcenter's folks on Pleasant Hill came off as actually wanting to help you vs getting commission.

mr stroke

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Both Sacramento stores are grave yards.

it's their fault, they never involved. Instead of creating a usable website they installed cafes and extra magazine racks in their stores 🤦🏼‍♀️

CrumbSnatcher

Jan 12, 2018
The one in Manhattan Beach, CA probably will thrive for a while. It's been nearly a year since I've been there, but it has always been very busy.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Fry's a Canadian thing? Like Tim Hortons?

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
Fry's has been a surreal ghost town for almost two years now.

It's truly bizarre to see those empty showroom floors.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll miss them. As someone who grew up in central California where the only physical store for computer parts was Bestbuy, Fry's was a rare treat for me. But the prices aren't great and the stores are being hollowed. Save us Microcenter.

Fun story, when my mom was having brain surgery, she wanted us to "go see a movie or something." She didn't want us to not be bored. I asked my aunt to drop me off at Fry's. I thought it would be a good distraction. It wasn't. I ended up crying in the Palo Alto Fry's.

Jun 20, 2019
All I can say is: long live Micro Center. I love the maker merch section. The Cambridge store is super well stocked and well staffed.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
That makes sense, I was just there about a month ago and it was half empty. I needed a new monitor and was hoping to compare some sizes, they had about four monitors on display.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Sad really. The stores were an experience, and it was always kind of neat to see that Anaheim location as steady presence next to the freeway.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
It was so easy to get cheap stuff at Fry's too since they didn't use barcode scanners for the longest time. All you had to do was peel the label off a product and put it on top of the label, and they would just enter the number off that label and that would look up what the price of the item should be.
God dammit why didn't I know this

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix one a few months ago was sad. Was rebuilding my PC after a catastrophic failure, Best Buy had more relevant parts than they did. Half a decade ago I couldn't imagine not being able to find a motherboard and CPU at Fry's but I could at Best Buy.

This one was located like a block from a Best Buy so not exactly a shocker they ate into its business.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
Well not anymore 🤪

Lol HOW did you miss Fry's? It's literally backed up against the 91 freeway right next to the 57. Huge lightup sign and everything. You'd almost have to avert your eyes to miss it.

I was about to say the same thing. Haven't shopped at that store in years, but i got all my Evangelion DVDs from this location. It treated me well. RIP.