• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Article

Over the next several days, Askini saw her temperature spike and drop dangerously, and she developed a cough that gurgled because of all the liquid in her lungs. After two more trips to the ER that week, Askini was given a final test on the seventh day of her illness, and once doctors helped manage her flu and pneumonia symptoms, they again sent her home to recover. She waited another three days for a lab to process her test, and at last she had a diagnosis: COVID-19.

A few days later, Askini got the bills for her testing and treatment: $34,927.43. "I was pretty sticker-shocked," she says. "I personally don't know anybody who has that kind of money."

While most people infected with COVID-19 will not need to be hospitalized and can recover at home, according to the World Health Organization, those who do need to go to the ICU can likely expect big bills, regardless of what insurance they have. As the U.S. government works on another stimulus package, future relief is likely to help ease some economic problems caused by the coronavirus pandemic, but gaps remain.

It's scary stuff for those without good health insurance

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I truly hope this crisis finally makes the case for a for all health care system, this is also why obamacare was trying to slowly push people to getting insured and mandate it(and i acknowledge how gutted it was from inception)

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
And that's why COVID will decimate America if the government doesn't tell them to cut that shit out.

Best of luck America, you're probably going to need it.

Oct 28, 2017
Kaiser Family Foundation estimates that the average cost of COVID-19 treatment for someone with employer insurance—and without complications—would be about $9,763. Someone whose treatment has complications may see bills about double that: $20,292. (The researchers came up with those numbers by examining average costs of hospital admissions for people with pneumonia.

She was being treated for lymphoma so I guess that's why he's was so much higher than the average with complications. But this is another example of how healthcare costs are absolutely insane.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How can a country with such shit healthcare and employment laws consider itself the best country in the world?

Oct 30, 2017
We're screwed. It's shown time and time again because of how unaffordable healthcare is in this that people can and will defer much needed medical services.

That pandemic is quite the perfect storm with this medical system we got going here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
America is so unprepared for this.
You're talking about decades in the making. We've let conservatives and neoliberals destroy important institutions and safety nets. Look at Trump's Rose Garden presser. He brought F500 CEOs. Fucking pathetic. These are not entities that know shit about a pandemic response.

But decades of thinking that private enterprise will solve all our ills does this.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Dumb. But if she does end up qualifying for Medicaid, they will retroactively cover all the costs.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
Fun thought experiment: if a virus only killed anyone that made over 100k a year, how quickly do you think it would take to get a vaccine?

And if it only killed the poors, the only thing out of stock on shelves would probably be champagne.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
As a lifelong American, this place is a dumpster fire. A polished turd. We are so colossally fucked and unprepared for this and we have the stupidest leaders across the board.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would straight up not pay it and sue the Feds for negligence. I don't know if that's legal, but I'd try.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
And this is why millions of people are not going to go get tested even if they think they might have COVID-19. There is going to be absolutely NO controlling the spread in the US unless you make healthcare a basic human right and enact Medicare for all now.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Who would have thought that continously fucking everyone that isn't the 1% would have dire circumstances in an emergency situation.

Shit has to change after this. Immediately.

Ensirius

Oct 26, 2017
If the virus is not contained many people will die because they can't afford, to live.
Let that sink in for a moment.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Yeah I uh, would not pay it. That's ridiculous.
5IwJyXDBveUhYLFskiOK_KdcTi0=.gif

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
I've been making payments on medical bills for at least the past 7 years. It's just a way of life at this point which you need to budget for. If you fail to pay the bills, they send collections after you and there goes your credit score. In this case, I would call up the healthcare provider and see how you can settle this. Only the 1% could afford this bill.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Yea I wouldn't pay that.

And I'm sure this just gonna encourage people to not seek help or treatment if they're positive for covid-19.

Poeton

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I have been saying this the last few weeks but national healthcare is and has been a national security issue.

Because of that politicians have totally fucked is.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I wouldn't pay either. There's a new precedent to set and if everyone stands up to that bullshit we can make a change. If the government really gives a shit about it's people they wouldn't keep them alive just to siphon money out of them.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You guys are fucked, how many people will delay getting care and infecting people because they can't afford it? And infecting others in the mean time? American's shit healthcare is the gasoline to the COVID-19 fire.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have been saying this the last few weeks but national healthcare is and has been a national security issue.

Because of that politicians have totally fucked is.

You guys are fucked, how many people will delay getting care and infecting people because they can't afford it? And infecting others in the mean time? American's shit healthcare is the gasoline to the COVID-19 fire.

This pretty much sums it up - if this is the norm for getting COVID-19 treatment, I don't see how this doesn't get way worse.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There have been years of my life where I didn't have insurance, so if I got sick, too bad for me. I was sick and hopefully it didn't get worse. Thank god I have insurance now, but I feel horrible for everyone who doesn't.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
This is why I'm staying home as much as I can...

There have been years of my life where I didn't have insurance, so if I got sick, too bad for me. I was sick and hopefully it didn't get worse. Thank god I have insurance now, but I feel horrible for everyone who doesn't.

Even with insurance, ER visits are not cheap. And if you are unlucky and get someone there that is out of network, which people find out after the fact, then the insurance barely covers it.