• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

I'm near the end of watching this right now, and wanted to share it. Jacob Geller is a game analysis YouTuber who takes a look at games through a more artistic lens, and just uploaded a video within the last hour titled "An Uncanny Reality". It talks about a few games, but 4/5ths of the video are focused squarely on Silent Hill 2 and Devotion (the game by the people who made Detention that's pulled off shelves). It's a deep dive not into the usual "Uncanny Valley" that most people think about, but how some games, and these two games in particular, use uncanniness to great effect to create a strange but compelling atmosphere that jumbles the feelings of the player effectively and draws them more into the experience and mindset of the player character and story.

I think it's an excellent video, and curious what Era thinks.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Jacob's an internet pal of mine and everyone should watch his stuff
He makes good videos, and one impressive thing about this particular one is Silent Hill 2 is a game with a lot of in-depth analysis done of various aspects of it, but the precise topic he tackles on in the video is one I haven't seen done on the game. That and the topic is seldom touched on, but I think Silent Hill 2 and Devotion are great examples and he does a wonderful job breaking down how they're effectively used here.