• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, people were harassing devs on social media. Whether people from resetera were among them is impossible to know. Just because Pokémon has a ridiculous defense force doesn't mean you get to sweep the bullshit under the rug.

Thats not what the person was asking. The person clearly asked whether members of the board harassed devs, because every single time there's criticism, there's always "...but harassment happened."

like what is the point of bringing that up if people are making constructive and fair criticism? Are we supposed to shut up just because you're mad that a vocal minority of people from different websites harassed GF devs? It's irrelevant.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
Wait they seriously hype up some major event and when you get to it it's already dealt with? And that hotel bit sounds frustrating.

I'm not sure I'd call it frustrating personally. Like yeah the story isn't good but it's established in the opening moments that first and foremost, the adventure is about your own league challenge. Having the champion deal with the "serious" stuff was a pretty neat way to separate the "oh no the world is ending" legendary-oriented plots of previous games and the more minimalist story approach of the first gen.

Granted, with how rushed the climax was, gf would've been better off just not including that sort of conflict at all

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
If you like a video game, then like it, and don't let other peoples' opinions affect your enjoyment. These are just video games. A luxury. Not everyone is going to like everything, especially when it comes to a massive series like Pokemon.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I was debating on doing this myself. IT's hard to explain to people because the "pokemon battles" Have always been good and will continue to be awesome minus some complaints about the meta. It's the rest of the game that keeps getting worse.

The "story" is bad, the characters are bad, the world is bad and you can tell blatantly where features were cut or screwed over in production. I look forward to seeing his complete breakdown. Watching now.

Shit, what about the ten year old that prevented the destruction of the universe?

giphy.gif
What sucks is that there's plenty of ways we could branch out as shown in the animes, including how they handle gyms, to make it less about world battles and let people pick their routes (Breeder/Professor/GymLeader/etc). There's so much potential to the pokemon IP and that's why it makes literal boat loads of cash. I just wish it felt like the game tapped into that.

Lost Knight

Mar 17, 2019
West Virginia
I'm on his boat, the last game I played was Platinum, and I jumped into Sword and Shield expecting it to be fresh, but I was disappointed. Pokemon fans have told me that Sun and Moon were better, so maybe I should try them out.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm on his boat, the last game I played was Platinum, and I jumped into Sword and Shield expecting it to be fresh, but I was disappointed. Pokemon fans have told me that Sun and Moon were better, so maybe I should try them out.

Pretty much all the games since gen V have been a mixed bag personally.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Question for the mods: isn't people trash talking a reviewer instead of discussing the content of the review literally ad hominem, a bannable offense?

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
...does Arlo even have any non-BotW videos on his channel over 45 minutes long?
Don't think so. And I like that he's tackling longform content. It says a lot more than the usual thumbs up or thumbs down that 10 minute vids do.

His BOTW review got a lot of positive feedback so I hope he continues down this road. It tackles all the content in the game, goes in depth and explains his points. I'm really happy that his content is leveling up. You'd expect him to not say anything critical of Nintendo but I'm happily surprised that this video addresses most of my complaints.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
look all I know is this dude only makes videos about nintendo games and when I click on them they're really long and he seems annoyed and also he's a puppet. I find it strange, our modern world of game critique. That's all

FYI, he's complained about how his more negative videos tend to do better. He has plenty of positive videos, but I guess the algorithm prefers to show him when he's negative.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's plenty of real "trash" pos people on YouTube. A puppet doing friendly reviews on Nintendo games is not one of them.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Can't disagree more with his take on the new Pokemon but otherwise Arlo hit the nail on the head. SwSh really needed more time in the oven. Hopefully Gamefreak are given more dev time for the next game.

Deleted member 29195

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
For illustrative purposes (i.e. since folks are too lazy to watch), I'll just quote the video:

"Many people have accused Game Freak of being lazy, but what I see here doesn't look like the work of someone who just didn't feel like making the game nice. What I see is a game where as much was done as possible with a strict time limit. [...] If my entire review could be summed up in one word, it's rushed." [20:00]

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Worst Pokemon since... Let's Go ha. I'm dying at the all the people on the first page crying that Arlo is negative, he is not at all really.

Stevo

Jan 29, 2019
Expected longer! The video content seems par for the course as far as everything I've seen/read about Sword and Shield goes so not sure what's going on with the reactions here.

Dec 13, 2017
The first page or so in this thread is straight up from a different dimension. Stopped checking after that.

Arlo has some good points others haven't brought up. Really makes it obvious how slapdash parts of this game was designed, even if you assume the game was made this way to maintain the ancient original GameBoy experience and if your target demo is 8 year olds.

Edit: Alright 8 pages in and the same shit is apparently happening. You are all bad and wrong.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017
Saw a comment on the video which is very true: "Pikachu and Game Freak are the same because they both simply refuse to evolve"

But I guess GF and TPC don't give a damn and will continue with the same tiring formula because Sword and Shield is selling like hotcakes, still breaking records and shit
This is true but I wonder if the same will happen if they make another mainline game on the Switch.
Not saying it won't sell well but I wonder if there will be a significant drop off even though the install base continues to grow.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, where the fuck did this idea of Arlo being down on Nintendo this year come from?
It's pretty baffling when he tries to stay on the positive side of things and makes tons of positive videos and videos that aren't necessarily positive or negative. Even his negative videos he tries to stay as fair as possible.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He mentioned everything wrong with the game halfway through the video. The game was rushed and Game Freak simply doesn't have the time to implement and flesh out their ideas. The DS days are long gone :(

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
He mentioned everything wrong with the game halfway through the video. The game was rushed and Game Freak simply doesn't have the time to implement and flesh out their ideas. The DS days are long gone :(
Games are getting harder to make and the higher ups want nearly yearly releases to coincide with lots of other stuff like the anime and merchandising.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I don't think that games necessarily need voice acting but when the opening guy started to tell you about the world of Pokemon the lack of it became extremely detrimental and the game doesn't really recover from it.

God no. Voice acting would make the slow intros and repetitive story structure of Pokemon 10 times worse. It's much quicker to just read the text and in a game like Pokemon that's more than adequate.