• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
I think Arlo needs to better understand that just because the latest game in a series he likes isn't tailored for him specifically doesn't mean that it's bad.

???

This kind of comment is so thoughtless. Like I've said many times, Pixar films are made for children, but that doesn't stop adults from liking them or appreciating them as art.

The idea that a game is only pandering to one population segment needs to stop.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
???

This kind of comment is so thoughtless. Like I've said many times, Pixar films are made for children, but that doesn't stop adults from liking them or appreciating them as art.

I think they were implying specifically how he doesn't like paper mario now.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
???

no one is saying that he *can't* criticize the game, it's just that his criticisms tend to lean more toward something not being what he wanted it to be and not criticisisng the thing that it is. imo reviews should always lean to the latter not the former. he's still allowed to do whatever he wants, it's fine, but i think people's issues with the way he approaches a lot of this stuff is valid

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Wow, Arlo surely is negative when he doesn't like a game! How dare him not pretend to have different tastes!

I don't understand people saying someone is a bad critic because they're too negative. Feels like they went in wanting to have their own views reaffirmed instead of being curious about the reviewers'.

I've seen posters bring up the same argument and cheer when reviewers blast Death Stranding, then cry for blood a week later when the same thing happens to Pokemon lol.

Review threads are whack.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen posters bring up the same argument and cheer when reviewers blast Death Stranding, then cry for blood a week later when the same thing happens to Pokemon lol.

That was a legendary two week span. Death stranding, then swish, then game award nominees revealed. Those threads were crazy.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

There were also the people telling Ono to fuck off because of his weird comments on bringing more Street Fighter to Switch and then they go tell people they are toxic for being negative about Pokemon.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Not watching it as I just started but boy, even going with low expectations, this game screams budget jrpg. The lack of voice or even mumbling sounds is so jarring and that bumping sound...

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Have you ever tried saying something negative about a Sony or Nintendo first party game (or nearly first party in Pokemon's case) on era? I get more notifications than on my birthday. People can't handle negativity at all. This thread is not surprising.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
He is absolutely correct about these games and Paper Mario and people complaining that he is overly negative are hilarious to me. Apparently reviewers shouldn't be posting their actual opinions and instead should be praising FRANCHISE because its some individuals favorite and can do no wrong. Please buy and understand.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Era continues to conflate negativity and criticism. It's nice to see how the quality of discussion won't change even next year. The idea that a reasoned review video of 40 minutes is just negativity for negativity sake from someone like Arlo is absolutely laughable. Obviously fanboy sentiment motivated dumpster takes like the first page provides continues to make era a trashfire to read in most threads.

Moderation should think about why people that even like era still request bans themselves to lock themselves off from this place. It's just trash what's allowed.
Also feel free to ban me as always and ignore all criticism again as it's so common. Good shit that it's just games and not all the various other mishandlings of serious social issues that were flubbed over this year alone based on that attitude.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

It's amazing how review threads always descend into shitshows no matter how delicately the mods try to frame it.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Era continues to conflate negativity and criticism. It's nice to see how the quality of discussion won't change even next year.

Yep. God forbid someone like Joseph Anderson gets mentioned here... it's actually impossible to have discussions about his content now. And he's not the only one, clearly.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
I like Arlo's stuff - as a muppet to a muppet - I don't tune into every video though (not him, just don't have the time), but the ones I do, I don't think he has ever overly negative, not certainly for the sake of it. Find his disscusions thoughtful and when he does gush over a game (i.e Luigis Mansion) you get a real sense of the joy that the game brought him. Stuff I disagree with him on, I still value, he explains why he dislikes without reverting to ANGER! or hyperbole. I like reviewers that are able to discuss rather than exert their opinions.

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
I never watched much of his reviews, though I did respect his frankness when he dislikes something without the usual shouting or swearing one expects from Youtube.

I kinda like the Muppet gimmick. Always makes me imagine that "Arlo" is a separate persona and the true role of the puppeteer(s). Also, a bit funny to imagine a Muppet playing a video game.

Honestly, I think he wastes the Muppet gimmick by being a bit too serious on the reviews.

Feb 20, 2019
Yup, I feel kind of disappointed after buying this game. Shitty story, mediocre graphics, not enough new pokémon, absolutely boring wild area, bad city designs ( seriously why isn't there more to explore? ), and lame excuses for cutting pokémon ( what good animations are they talking about here? The ones exclusive to the starters and the legendaries )

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I pretty much agree with everything. I haven't continued playing after the first 4 gym leaders. It started out fun but then just urned into being very disappointing. Pokémon needs it's BOTW moment.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I think Arlo needs to better understand that just because the latest game in a series he likes isn't tailored for him specifically doesn't mean that it's bad.

Wat
Well I suggest you watch Girlfriend reviews.

Her only previous exposure to Pokemon was Let's Go Evee and Pikachu.

She loved her first entry into Pokemon despite it being a terrible coop experience and she still was disappointed in how repetitive Sword and Shield mostly was.

For someone brand new to the franchise to say that is a clear indictment of how flawed Gamefreaks management of various details can be.

They are just a step above EA in their handling of their sports franchises. That take really didn't click for me until I saw her review where she complained about a lot of things that are similar to complaints against their annual releases.

I suggest watching fresh eyes in the series to reevaluate your perception of the franchise in general.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Most games Arlo reviewed this year he loved. It's not fair to say he is negative all the time

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
Find it so strange how some people react to Arlo. There are plenty of obnoxious, disingenuous, offensive personalities on YouTube, but a blue puppet giving his opinion on video games is too much? I mean, I find his humour pretty cringe-worthy at times, but c'mon lol. Nobody has even given a proper reason for the dislike besides 'too negative' or 'his opinions are wrong'. I watched this Pokemon video and his criticisms were perfectly valid and reasonable.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Haven't watched this but basically every video he makes is the most milquetoast take possible. All he really has going for him is the puppet.

I don't doubt this thread has a bunch of posers though.

edit: lmao @ character assassination
Random nobody edits in a laugh about accusations of attacks against the person instead of their arguments.

This edit is made after making the exact type of post that supports that accusation.

Some of you guys like this poster are very childish. Atleast embrace the fact you don't give a shit about what he said and only cared to make fun of him personally regardless of what he said.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I never watched much of his reviews, though I did respect his frankness when he dislikes something without the usual shouting or swearing one expects from Youtube.

I kinda like the Muppet gimmick. Always makes me imagine that "Arlo" is a separate persona and the true role of the puppeteer(s). Also, a bit funny to imagine a Muppet playing a video game.

Honestly, I think he wastes the Muppet gimmick by being a bit too serious on the reviews.
He's going for a deadpan/dry style to clash with the sillyness of a muppet.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I see Arlo as someone who is honest and tries to be positive but won't bite his tongue when it comes to criticism. I have never once felt any of his criticisms have been completely unfair, nor is he someone that I have ever felt was being negative for the sake of it.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Well I suggest you watch Girlfriend reviews.

Her only previous exposure to Pokemon was Let's Go Evee and Pikachu.

She loved her first entry into Pokemon despite it being a terrible coop experience and she still was disappointed in how repetitive Sword and Shield mostly was.

For someone brand new to the franchise to say that is a clear indictment of how flawed Gamefreaks management of various details can be.

They are just a step above EA in their handling of their sports franchises. That take really didn't click for me until I saw her review where she complained about a lot of things that are similar to complaints against their annual releases.

I suggest watching fresh eyes in the series to reevaluate your perception of the franchise in general.
The girlfriend part of the review was fine. The boyfriend part at the end was kinda pathetic though.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
Man

If somebody fairly criticizing Nintendo is too negative for some of you guys, you should probably just stop using the internet cause hoo boy

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
The lines about how any other developer would have a twice as fast paced battle system even if they were using the precisely same mechanics is too damn true.

2019 and you still gotta wait for slow atk-up animations, Pkm taking sandstorm and poison damage, weather effects and what have you. That not being streamlined, despite being a major issue from the very first generation, makes them literally (virtually) unplayable for me.

At least ROM hacks and some fan games provide speedup options.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
no one is saying that he *can't* criticize the game, it's just that his criticisms tend to lean more toward something not being what he wanted it to be and not criticisisng the thing that it is.
This sounds like a flimsy defense against any criticism. By definition if someone complains about something aren't they saying they think it should be different, and not what it is?

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The lines about how any other developer would have a twice as fast paced battle system even if they were using the precisely same mechanics is too damn true.

2019 and you still gotta wait for slow atk-up animations, Pkm taking sandstorm and poison damage, weather effects and what have you. That not being streamlined, despite being a major issue from the very first generation, makes them literally (virtually) unplayable for me.

Blaming the game being rushed for some of those issues is unfair though. A lot of it is down to tradition and nostalgia. I hate things like "Pokémon wants to learn a new move, but they already know 4 moves" because the UI is clunky and it's slow. But they've clearly kept it purposefully. The issues many have with Pokémon (and I appreciate many more people don't find these issues, but still) are not just due to the rushed release schedule, but also the culture of GameFreak.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017

Wat

Did you and I watch the same video? What I saw was Arlo arguing Sw&Sh lacked evolution and was not on par with other Nintendo IPs which is demonstrably true. You are reducing his argument to "I don't like thing" which is intellectually dishonest

Moral Panic

Oct 28, 2017

Feels like the entire battle system is made to be fully text based but with animations slapped on top. If two people get hit by Sandstorm why does it do the animation then tell you who got hit by it one at a time? If there is a critical hit why is that shown with a slow "Its a critical hit" dialogue instead of an animation/visual effect? Everything is so slow it feels like it is still 1995.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like the entire battle system is made to be fully text based but with animations slapped on top. If two people get hit by Sandstorm why does it do the animation then tell you who got hit by it one at a time? If there is a critical hit why is that shown with a slow "Its a critical hit" dialogue instead of an animation/visual effect? Everything is so slow it feels like it is still 1995.

Exactly. And so often e.g. taking damage and displaying the super effective text is done in succession, rather than in parallel. Welp, still having this basic, slow-ass text box at all in this day and age is rather pathetic to begin with. Like there's a million ways to convey e.g. sandstorm dmg clearly and succinctly. GameFreak, though, still stuck decades in the past with basic but extremely important game design like that.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
The girlfriend part of the review was fine. The boyfriend part at the end was kinda pathetic though.
Except some people began to insinuate that the girlfriend was not providing her opinion at all and that all of this was from the boyfriend since he writes the script. And were telling people that Girlfriend Reviews were no longer fair and good because of that revelation that apparently didn't matter until the negative Pokemon review.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I really appreciate Arlo's opinion, because it seems like his tastes and history with Nintendo are extremely similar to mine.

That said, it does seem like every time he posts a new video, a thread is made here in Era and people always whine about how "oh he's so negative boo hoo" without ever watching the video. Even when he's negative, he gives valid reasons for his critiques, and he's not afraid to say if he actually did like something. People here are too hard on him.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I really appreciate Arlo's opinion, because it seems like his tastes and history with Nintendo are extremely similar to mine.

That said, it does seem like every time he posts a new video, a thread is made here in Era and people always whine about how "oh he's so negative boo hoo" without ever watching the video. Even when he's negative, he gives valid reasons for his critiques, and he's not afraid to say if he actually did like something. People here are too hard on him.
People are bothered by him because he's one of the few Nintendo centric reviewers who's not afraid to say it like it is. He doesn't sugar coat things.

I realize the "telling it like it is" YouTuber has become a dumb genre of "angry" personalities, but in the case if Arlo it's completely valid. He's thoughtful and doesn't just bash something to be controversial. It's clear he puts a lot of time into these games and carefully articulates their flaws when he sees some worth pointing out. This Pokémon video is a perfect example of that. His complaints are well explained and demonstrated in the video.

Last edited:

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
User banned (1 week): console wars, inflammatory generalization, multiple prior related infractions.

Well nintendo is era's favorite company to bootlick

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People are bothered by him because he's one of the few Nintendo centric reviewers who's not afraid to say it like it is. He doesn't sugar coat things.

"Ain't afraid of telling it like it is" has to be up there as one of the worst defenses about anything honestly. Half of the time it's just a roundabout way of saying "they're saying things I agree with".

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
No opinion on his overall negativity, but share his thoughts on Sw and Sh. His criticism that the game feels rushed is spot on. The gym challenges are his best example. They start out kinda interesting, but by the end, it's just walk and fight.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Pretty solid review overall, not sure why some people are so angry at him.
I'm not the biggest fan of Arlo, I think his content and fanbase are too Gamecube era focused and I prefer people who like Nintendo in general, but what he does he does it well for the most part, there are people that are way more overly critical on Youtube, there are 2 hours videos arguing why Odyssey or BOTW are mediocre games ffs.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Aside from him disliking the new designs, Arlo isn't exactly saying anything controversial here (and even gives credit to the people who do like it) but of course you have people in this thread rushing to defend GF who probably didn't even watch the video.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well link's awakening was bad and their online does suck
Links Awakening was and is a gorgeous and charming remake of the original.

Aside from the framerate hiccups here and there the game is pretty much the perfect example of taking an old game and redoing it.

You can say you didnt enjoy the game but calling it bad is a little harsh