• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Majunior

Jun 20, 2019
Yea let's be honest, this "too negative" garbage is about the Sword and Shield controversy. You don't see people say bs like that anywhere else. Like even when people think a reviewer rated their favorite game harshly, they don't complain about a review being too negative.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
With the reactions in here you'd think Nintendo fans would be raging under his video, but the like ratio is completely positive, lol. And nothing he says sounds even remotely controversial. This forum houses the most thin skinned corporate defenders.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
arlo seems like a nice guy who has a fun gimmick but I don't think he makes very good content. he's certainly allowed his opinion

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Wow, Arlo surely is negative when he doesn't like a game! How dare him not pretend to have different tastes!

I don't understand people saying someone is a bad critic because they're too negative. Feels like they went in wanting to have their own views reaffirmed instead of being curious about the reviewers'.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You can only come to this conclusion if you ignore a majority of his videos. He seemed to love the hell out of almost every one of Nintendo's offerings other than Pokemon. But he said one bad thing so who cares about the dozens of other videos right? smh
Currently going through it.

It's Pokemon and the basic, very, very, very basic formula is still there so is enjoyable enough but my God, is the presentation as a whole terrible. I don't think that games necessarily need voice acting but when the opening guy started to tell you about the world of Pokemon the lack of it became extremely detrimental and the game doesn't really recover from it. The wild area suffers from bad framerate (despite that the poor graphics were supposedly to allow a better performance) and it might as well be a big empty field since there's nothing interesting to do aside from catching Pokemon which gets old pretty fast.

Again, just starting but if the game actually gets worse then I might as well sell it and wait until the franchise becomes competent again. Thank God I didn't pay full price for this.

Arlo is certainly culprit for this but come on, Sword&Shield being poor games is faaaaaar from an unpopular opinion.
Wow, Arlo surely is negative when he doesn't like a game! How dare him not pretend to have different tastes!

I don't understand people saying someone is a bad critic because they're too negative. Feels like they went in wanting to have their own views reaffirmed instead of being curious about the reviewers'.

Pokémon fans are fragile.

Edit: Just to be clear, not you three.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Why do some ITT seem confused about the nature of subjectivity in reviews? Is the whole puppet thing throwing you off? Arlo's content is filtered through his perspective and he doesn't pretend otherwise.
People thinking negativity is a bad trait.

Even if you like something, critique is born from negativity; you look for ways how it could be better. Most people dont get that, and think negativity is an affront to them if they like a thing.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Honestly, watching the review, it sounds like a 3 out of 7 (maybe even a 2) instead of the 4 that he gave.

All of his criticisms hit the nail on the head, however. This has to be one of the most cynical, soulless games, if not the most, that Nintendo has ever released. You can tell that this game was made for the shareholders first, the executives second, and the fans third - which can explain why the game is so devoid of charm or passion that even the bad Pokemon games had. Every new feature that was potentially interesting, such as Dynamaxing, the Wild Area, raids, or camping, was woefully executed - to the point where I believe that the only reason they were included at all is because they looked good on the back of the box.

Whilst nothing in the game that is offensively awful, there is nothing either in the game that is memorable for the right reasons. And the more I think about how this game was clearly rushed out the door months, if not years before it was ready just to sell some merchandise and pad out the pockets of the shareholders and executives at TPCI, the angrier I get.

In that regard, it's similar to The Rise of Skywalker, for those who've seen that movie.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else notice that everyone is trying to perform character assassination rather than arguing any of the points he made in the video?

coconut gun

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I mean is that not what is happening? Rather than watching the video and arguing the points, the first reaction is to simply insult the guy and trash him constantly as a means to devalue their opinion.

please stop saying things like "character assassination" in regards to people not liking a milquetoast youtuber's forty minute long video about pokemon

or keep doing it i guess, it's funny in its own way

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Wow this thread became an embarrassing mess fast. Maybe... don't attack a reviewer for disliking a game?
It's like actually wild, this thread's a huge mess for like no reason. If the blue puppet man upsets you that much that you need to hang around and call him "trash" or "overly negative" or "too nostalgic for the Gamecube" or whatever weird stuff I've seen in here, maybe you shouldn't be in a thread about his video lmao

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
please stop saying things like "character assassination" in regards to people not liking a milquetoast youtuber's forty minute long video about pokemon

or keep doing it i guess, it's funny in its own way

Are we reading different threads? People came in having not watched the video and instantly went after Arlo after seeing others say that he didn't like it. Another saying that they're happy to see "people turn on him".

If people were actually watching the video and giving reasons why they disagree that would be one thing but people aren't attacking the points in the video, they're attacking the person making the points.

Or are you going to say that is not the case?

Deleted member 26156

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Haven't watched this but basically every video he makes is the most milquetoast take possible. All he really has going for him is the puppet.

I don't doubt this thread has a bunch of posers though.

edit: lmao @ character assassination

coconut gun

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Are we reading different threads? People came in having not watched the video and instantly went after Arlo after seeing others say that he didn't like it. Another saying that they're happy to see "people turn on him".

If people were actually watching the video and giving reasons why they disagree that would be one thing but people aren't attacking the points in the video, they're attacking the person making the points.

Or are you going to say that is not the case?

i don't really care what people are doing

referring to people dunking on a youtuber as character assassination is something a person would say as a joke, not as a serious point.

it's very hard to take you seriously when you do these things

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's a long one. He wasn't very positive on Sword & Shield previously either, says his impressions video said he liked it, but now by the end he couldn't help noticing all the flaws. Likes the wild area, but doesn't think it fulfils its potential, and the rest of the game doesn't live up to the wild area. Graphically and sound wise he's also disappointed. Route design is also unchanged, and the game feels sluggish. Raid battles also end up being a pain by the late game.

I've been enjoying the game, but it has tons of flaws its understandable how folks like Arlo feel that way.

I play it and I think "wow, this could've been done so much better". Again, still enjoyable, still having fun (I'm 30 hours in and at the 4th gym lol, taking it nice and slow), but could have been done better.

after the dust has settled the brave arlo enters the ring to re litigate the list of negatives from a month ago

so brave

He... wrote a review and shared complaints that others had and its a bad thing?

The toxic negative fans on Pokemon and the Pokemon defense force amaze me. One group wants to tear the game down every chance they get, others get upset at any sort of complaints. Amazing.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

referring to people dunking on a youtuber as character assassination is something a person would say as a joke, not as a serious point.

Character assassination might have been a strong word but this like the second or third Arlo thread that has ended up like this. A bunch of people who didn't watch the video that came in and just began insulting the guy without ever actually talking about the video itself.

I don't really get what you're trying to do here other than trying to justify it.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
We've hit the usual checkboxes for an Arlo thread

1) Complain about his supposed negativity
2) Complain about him being a late millennial/borderline Zoomer who's favorite console is the Gamecube
3) Arlo's videos are bad because his opinions don't align with mine

What is it about a blue mild puppet man that inspires a small band of posters to immediately whine about him as soon as they see a thread on him, call him trash, and so on. Anyways I mostly agree with his Pokemon Sword/Shield review. I wish he'd gone in on more on the graphical fidelity and presentation of the game as it's arguably one of the ugliest JRPGs on the Switch and almost certainly the ugliest major studio RPG. He brought it up a good bit but it can't be stated enough how hard Game Freak underwhelmed here, and I wish he'd gone into these comparisons. I also hard disagree with his critiques about the Pokemon designs as I think they're trending towards excellent, IMO. And his argument for exp. candies fell completely flat with me too; if Game Freak made the game harder but made those candies a crutch for more inexperienced players then I think I'd actually be happy with Pokemon's difficulty for once. They could design a tighter experience without alienating casual fans. That aside every critique of his rings true. Pokemon's leads have gotta go and Game Freak has got to scale up if they want to deliver a good product every single year. All evidence points to this not being the case and good enough being their benchmark, especially so long as they can keep on raking money while living rent free in the minds of people like me annoyed with Pokemon's derivative nature and slow, incremental additions.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the problem with Arlo is that his opinions and criticism are on the level of an average Nintendo forumposter and we are too familiar with that. It's not so much a problem if he affirms your opinion but when you see the flaws of the criticism, it sounds kind of whiny.

Also, Sword and Shield do have a plot but since it isn't videogamey and is using the throughline that Pokemon games usually just say instead of have, it is ignored. It's the full realization of the League story. The story is honestly the third-best in the franchise behind Black and White and Sun and Moon. In some ways, it is an improvement upon Sun and Moon's story which overly focused on the Lillie/Lusamine plot to the point of making the rival basic and the final Kahuna fight a nonevent. It's the first one where all the rivals have complete character arcs and the arcs actually build up the player's character arc. The Eternatus fight isn't the climax; it's the final piece to show how far your character has come before the true climax against Leon
I'm not sure I'd call any part of Sword and Shield's story "fully realized". Basically all the interesting parts happen off screen, and it just sort of devolves into complete nonsense around the time you get to Wyndon.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Honestly, the problem with Arlo is that his opinions and criticism are on the level of an average Nintendo forumposter and we are too familiar with that. It's not so much a problem if he affirms your opinion but when you see the flaws of the criticism, it sounds kind of whiny.

Also, Sword and Shield do have a plot but since it isn't videogamey and is using the throughline that Pokemon games usually just say instead of have, it is ignored. It's the full realization of the League story. The story is honestly the third-best in the franchise behind Black and White and Sun and Moon. In some ways, it is an improvement upon Sun and Moon's story which overly focused on the Lillie/Lusamine plot to the point of making the rival basic and the final Kahuna fight a nonevent. It's the first one where all the rivals have complete character arcs and the arcs actually build up the player's character arc. The Eternatus fight isn't the climax; it's the final piece to show how far your character has come before the true climax against Leon
In what way is Sword and Shield's story is good? Because all I see is interesting plot threads getting thrown away, bland characters, terrible pacing where nothing happens until the very end, heaps of plot holes, and incomprehensible villains. It's honestly down there with Fire Emblem: Fates for the worst story ever told in a Nintendo game. X/Y's plot looked good compared to this.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

The Pokemon fanbase is a mess, if you have bad things to say about SwSh it's because YOU are bad!

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
The Pokemon fanbase is a mess, if you have bad things to say about SwSh it's because YOU are bad!
It's wild because of how (rightfully) anti-harassment people have been toward Game Freak, but as soon as a Youtuber said they don't like the game all that much, they're busting out the same type of descriptors they were, once again, rightfully so vocal against (character attacks for some reason, calling a person, not their content, "trash", etc.)

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
It's wild because of how (rightfully) anti-harassment people have been toward Game Freak, but as soon as a Youtuber said they don't like the game all that much, they're busting out the same type of descriptors they were, once again, rightfully so vocal against (character attacks for some reason, calling a person, not their content, "trash", etc.)
It's because they never cared in the first place, it was always about defending Pokemon at all costs.

Deleted member 29195

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
a troll or just someone who expects a person with fourteen thousand posts to be better at posting

prolly a little of column a and b i guess
It's so creepy when you look into someone's post history like this just to be snarky.

I agree with those who call this game by the numbers. It clearly was made to satisfy shareholders, which could be ok. But it doesn't do enough for some long time fans.

Apr 21, 2018
Arlo has been a downer and generally I don't watch his stuff anymore. But he was incredibly positive on Luigi's Mansion 3 and I loved his videos gushing over it.

dd492941

Oct 28, 2017
I personally think arlo has been on point this year. I love all things zelda but links awakening remake was an easy rental, but not worth full price. Pokemon could be the best series in video games but it's regulated itself to a handheld adventure instead of a grand adventure.

Absent Breeze

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy that the games have been out for weeks now and the people are still running defense like it's their job. It's ok if people don't like a pokemon game, and despite what some would have you believe, it doesn't make you "trash","vile", or "toxic".

Crazy that the games have been out for weeks now and the people are still running defense like it's their job. It's ok if people don't like a pokemon game, and despite what some would have you believe, it doesn't make you "trash","vile", or "toxic".
anybody using those words in earnest under this context need to take a step away from the screen.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
I think it's pretty obvious by now that Pokemon just meets the bare minimum requirements to sell. It's probably the exact instructions handed down to them by TPC. Don't rock the boat. Don't innovate. Just iterate and make sure it sells.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Arlo also thought Link's Awakening remake was average to bad, as well as recently discussing how much of a con Nintendo online is. But hey, he liked Luigi's Mansion 3...

A remake that only exists for the sake of a technical upgrade and still fails at that with VERY severe framedrops.
An online service which is only worth the (admittedly low) price thanks to the drip-fed legacy content (and the amazing Tetris 99, released after 6 months of freaking NES games).
I don't follow Arlo (nor any of these "youtubers"), but these are perfectly understandable opinions.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017

People in this thread are being incredibly toxic because their favorite franchise is being criticized. That's sadder.

Couchpotato

Nov 7, 2018
I don't know Arlo - I don't know if I've even seen another video of his - but this video was pretty dead on for my experience as well.

The last Pokemon game I played was Silver, and I couldn't even be bothered to finish that for a good amount of similar issues. I'm about 3/4 the way done with Shield, and I'm pretty sure I won't finish it for pretty much all of the reasons listed.

The end of the video put it quite succinctly. The last Pokemon game I played was 20 years ago, and even then the formula had already ran its course for me. It's shocking how little they have evolved it in so many aspects outside of the competitive / collecting scene, and also it's unfortunate how much more hand-holdy the game is for, presumedly, children.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
So the last time I played Pokemon was HeartGold and even then i never actually finished it so I went into Sword hoping to see how much it has changed and hoped the scope had increased since what? 2008 or somethin like that.

idk, I enjoyed my time with Sword overall, there were times though that I essentially tried to speedrun it because it was just so tedious.
I also pretty much never had to use another pokemon other than my scorbunny...thats just stupid.

idk I have mixed feelings it was nice to get back to a pokemon game but it was still so....similar. Like the fact that they dont even have voices in the cutscenes is crazy to me, like in game stuff when im talking to people sure but like none at all in cutscenes or like really important events?
The games scope was also kind of disappointing after all these years it looked like a 3DS pokemon running at 720p and not in a great way, the animations were bleh like..characters still move only in one direction lmao some attacks are trash like double kick...the pokemon moves up and down per attack.

I thought some of the new pokemon were cool which is a nice pace because for a while a lot of the new pokemon i thought just looked like trash (one of em was litteraly trash lol), too bad I rarely had to switch from Scorbunny to win tho lmao. The pokedex thing didnt really bother me tho I actually enjoyed mainly seeing new pokemon and honestly wouldnt have minded if they cut back more.

the UK setting was great although some of the environments were kinda dull *cough* wild zone *cough*
characters were ok, Hop was annoying though, wish they would give us a genuine rival, someone you just wanna beat, not these friendly rivals that are just honestly annoying. Hop leave me alone, ill fight you at the start but you and I both know I dont even have to switch pokemon to beat your whole squad so dip my guy.

THE BEST PART OF THE WHOLE THING *drum roll* going to a new city and buying clothes and getting a haircut. Dayum did I like that, it was the first thing i checked for when entering any new town. I really hope they keep that going forward and expand on it because even tho it was light on options it was fun to actually have a character that can look however I wanted.

overall im happy I got to rent it, I probably would have been dissapointed if my ass paid full price tho. Now I just wait for the Diamond remake and continue to wait for that glorious Pokemon game that looks like a console game and not a 720p 3DS game. Sw/Sh isnt a trainwreck but I aint takin the time to write home about it either.