• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 2, 2017

It's a long one. He wasn't very positive on Sword & Shield previously either, says his impressions video said he liked it, but now by the end he couldn't help noticing all the flaws. Likes the wild area, but doesn't think it fulfils its potential, and the rest of the game doesn't live up to the wild area. Graphically and sound wise he's also disappointed. Route design is also unchanged, and the game feels sluggish. Raid battles also end up being a pain by the late game.

Last edited:

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I think every review I've seen of his this year has been incredibly negatively to the point of nit-picking. I'm not sure how long these Nintendo provided copies will last lol

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Reason why I stopped watching him. He's been nothing but negative this year and I'm over it.
I hear you. I don't mind negativity if it's substantiated. A lot of his criticism is that it didn't appeal to him personally or that it should have been made more to his tastes or in the style of another game he likes

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I hear you. I don't mind negativity if it's substantiated. A lot of his criticism is that it didn't appeal to him personally or that it should have been made more to his tastes or in the style of another game he likes

That's the issue I had with his content before I stopped giving a damn about him. It just got more and more frequent.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I think every review I've seen of his this year has been incredibly negatively to the point of nit-picking. I'm not sure how long these Nintendo provided copies will last lol
Arlo has really been upping the negative videos maybe he's trying to get off the youtube kids algorithm thing thats threatening to mess up his videos.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Reason why I stopped watching him. He's been nothing but negative this year and I'm over it.
You can only come to this conclusion if you ignore a majority of his videos. He seemed to love the hell out of almost every one of Nintendo's offerings other than Pokemon. But he said one bad thing so who cares about the dozens of other videos right? smh

calloumiii

Sep 14, 2018
Arlo strikes me as the kinda guy who has very specific tastes when it comes to games, which is obviously fine. My issue is that it feels like half of his content is bemoaning how his (again, very specific) tastes aren't necessarily being catered to.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
It's not exactly a good game, but I enjoyed it. It was relaxing to play while I did other shit.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
You can only come to this conclusion if you ignore a majority of his videos. He seemed to love the hell out of almost every one of Nintendo's offerings other than Pokemon. But he said one bad thing so who cares about the dozens of other videos right? smh

For reals, he gives his honest opinion and suddenly he's a massive downer and a bad reviewer for not loving your favorite games. There's even a few conspiracy theories in here about him doing it to game algorithms? Get some perspective, ya'll.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I mean even as someone who enjoyed the game, I share a lot of his points with the negatives of it. The flaws are very hard to not see because they are very obvious. Can't speak to the other views hes been having but his basic points seem to be common thoughts on the negatives of the Sword and Shield games among the players.

I'm not sure how long these Nintendo provided copies will last lol
I mean, if theres any integrity in it, they should not provide copies purely for praise haha.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Currently going through it.

It's Pokemon and the basic, very, very, very basic formula is still there so is enjoyable enough but my God, is the presentation as a whole terrible. I don't think that games necessarily need voice acting but when the opening guy started to tell you about the world of Pokemon the lack of it became extremely detrimental and the game doesn't really recover from it. The wild area suffers from bad framerate (despite that the poor graphics were supposedly to allow a better performance) and it might as well be a big empty field since there's nothing interesting to do aside from catching Pokemon which gets old pretty fast.

Again, just starting but if the game actually gets worse then I might as well sell it and wait until the franchise becomes competent again. Thank God I didn't pay full price for this.

Arlo strikes me as the kinda guy who has very specific tastes when it comes to games, which is obviously fine. My issue is that it feels like half of his content is bemoaning how his (again, very specific) tastes aren't necessarily being catered to.

I think Arlo needs to better understand that just because the latest game in a series he likes isn't tailored for him specifically doesn't mean that it's bad.

Arlo is certainly culprit for this but come on, Sword&Shield being poor games is faaaaaar from an unpopular opinion.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Games are aggressively mediocre and lacking in so many areas. Arlo has every right to be super negative.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Why do some ITT seem confused about the nature of subjectivity in reviews? Is the whole puppet thing throwing you off? Arlo's content is filtered through his perspective and he doesn't pretend otherwise.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
This might be the first Arlo video I enjoy. Time to watch. Had very negative opinions on this Pokémon game. Absolute worst mainline entry, I couldn't believe it.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Not really, Gears is like the red head stepchild between Forza/Halo/Uncharted/GoW/Zelda/Mario on Era. At a wider general vote, it would be closer.
That's the issue I had with his content before I stopped giving a damn about him. It just got more and more frequent.
Arlo has really been upping the negative videos maybe he's trying to get off the youtube kids algorithm thing thats threatening to mess up his videos.
He absolutely adored Luigi's Mansion, but cool story about how he's just negative now.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah lol.

Anyway Arlo is such a downer. I don't blame him for being down on this particular game but his track record is depressing
He likes tons of games though, lol. The negative stuff just gets more attention. Loved luigi's mansion 3 nust recently. Loves botw and odyssey. Likes splatoon. Likes mario maker. Kins of liked three houses. Likes tons of indies, etc.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He absolutely adored Luigi's Mansion, but cool story about how he's just negative now.

You're more than welcome to disagree and stan for Arlo, but I just don't care for his content anymore. He's more negative than positive lately. This doesn't really have to do with Pokémon, as some people are suggesting, I'm personally not a huge fan of the series. I just want more upbeat content when I go to YouTube and for someone who uses a silly puppet as his persona, he's not delivering what I originally expected when I first watched him.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017

Seriously the things he has been critical of have been justified .

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Oh didn't see that. Well I'm guessing you mean specifically his paper mario opinions. He isn't alone on those either clearly, but color splash is more mixed. Even then, he isn't trying to be the end all gold standard reviewer.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
You're more than welcome to disagree and stan for Arlo, but I just don't care for his content anymore. He's more negative than positive lately. This doesn't really have to do with Pokémon, as some people are suggesting, I'm personally not a huge fan of the series. I just want more upbeat content when I go to YouTube and for someone who uses a silly puppet as his persona, he's not delivering what I originally expected when I first watched him.
His first big video was talking about how the state of paper mario sucks. He has actually gotten more positive.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
@30:40 in the video they say "I'm pretty sure you could level up a level 100 pokemon with all perfect stats without it even setting foot in a battle."

I have done this for my entire team.

Pokemon Sword and Shield is a game made for Competitive players... but not the Dynamaxing.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I'm not sure how the cherrypicking idea sprouted because you absolutely do NOT need to cherrypick at all to see why Sw/Sh were mediocre entries in the series. Saw this earlier, fully agree with Arlo here.